Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:06 pm

Post subject: Introductory Post/Help Me
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-04 12:09 pm 

Hey people, new here, unfamiliar with protocols there may or may not be.

Sorcery (20)
1x Breakthrough
1x Empty the Warrens
1x Energy Tap
1x Fabricate
1x Grapeshot
1x Incendiary Command
1x Laquatus's Creativity
1x Mana Geyser
1x Merchant Scroll
1x Molten Psyche
1x Mystic Retrieval
1x Past in Flames
1x Recall
1x Reforge the Soul
1x Relearn
1x Runic Repetition
1x Vandalblast
1x Wheel of Fate
1x Wheel of Fortune
1x Windfall

Instant (17)
1x Chaos Warp
1x Counterspell
1x Final Fortune
1x Firemind's Foresight
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Quicken
1x Radiate
1x Reiterate
1x Reverberate
1x Seething Song
1x Snap
1x Spell Crumple
1x Swan Song
1x Time Stop
1x Turnabout
1x Twincast
1x Wild Ricochet

Land (33)
1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1x Evolving Wilds
12x Island
1x Izzet Boilerworks
1x Izzet Guildgate
1x Madblind Mountain
10x Mountain
1x Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Steam Vents
1x Sulfur Falls
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Vivid Crag

Artifact (11)
1x Cloud Key
1x Druidic Satchel
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Isochron Scepter
1x Library of Leng
1x Mana Matrix
1x Ruby Medallion
1x Sapphire Medallion
1x Sphinx-Bone Wand
1x Stone Calendar
1x Sundial of the Infinite

Enchantment (5)
1x Arcane Melee
1x Hive Mind
1x Leyline of Anticipation
1x Possibility Storm
1x Rhystic Study

Planeswalker (4)
1x Chandra Ablaze
1x Chandra, Pyromaster
1x Jace Beleren
1x Ral Zarek

Creature (9)
1x Goblin Electromancer
1x Guttersnipe
1x Hypersonic Dragon
1x Magus of the Bazaar
1x Myr Retriever
1x Talrand, Sky Summoner
1x Trinket Mage
1x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1x Young Pyromancer

That's a decklist, and I'm wondering what might help me improve it. Please try to avoid recommend cards more than 20 dollar in value not already on that list.

Thanks in advance, I will be checking this thread regularly.

Last edited by xigbar on 2013-Dec-05 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Introductory Post/Help Me
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-04 1:02 pm 

You would get more input if you posted the list here. And if you aren't, post the actual link by putting [url] on the front side of the link, then put the same thing but a \ in between the [ and the u.

I would suggest more lands. Cards to cut for them:

Druid Satchel: Approximately half the time it will gain you 2 life, and it doesn't do enough. I know synergy with Melek and all, but I'd still argue it's not good enough.

Hive Mind: I can see this turning out of your favor far more often than not.

Ral Zarek: I would argue that he doesn't do enough. His first two abilities are overpriced for one, or maybe even two uses, and you won't get to his final.

Swan Song: Too situational, and the disadvantage isn't really worth it for the extra tempo.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 8:18 am 

Welcome to the forums! Uktabi_Kong's suggestions are quite solid, I agree with all of them. I have a Melek list somewhere, too. I'll try to find it and see if I can offer anything more.

Actually, Uktabi_Kong and Kemev are practically the royal family of deck doctoring on this forum, and it's generally a good idea to listen to just about anything they have to say.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 9:17 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Actually, Uktabi_Kong and Kemev are practically the royal family of deck doctoring on this forum, and it's generally a good idea to listen to just about anything they have to say.

Kong, we should start a sit com!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 9:19 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Welcome to the forums! Uktabi_Kong's suggestions are quite solid, I agree with all of them. I have a Melek list somewhere, too. I'll try to find it and see if I can offer anything more.

You're putting me in the same category as Kemev regarding deck doctoring?

:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so happy! :cry: :cry: :cry:

#joking, #waitaminute, #ihatehashtags, #whyamiusinghashtags, #idk

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 10:03 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
You're putting me in the same category as Kemev regarding deck doctoring?

:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so happy! :cry: :cry: :cry:

#joking, #waitaminute, #ihatehashtags, #whyamiusinghashtags, #idk

#hashtagsareallsharpandpointyedgedandnotgoodtoeatwhycanttheybemorelikeactualhash

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 2:02 pm 

Mystic Speculation?

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 3:47 pm 

At any rate, I'm sure you can tell that we all stand on ceremony here... deviance from protocol is punishable by scorpioning (it's like stoning, but more exciting for everyone...)

A few weeks back there was this big honkin Melek strategy thread; it's definitely worth a look-through.

I think your current list would benefit from more cantrips (like Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, etc). Cantrips and card filtering effects are really strong in EDH (and in every other format), and they do a lot of work for you with Melek in play.

I'm sort of undecided on the planeswalkers... I usually think they work best when you have some creatures to block for them, and Melek decks aren't usually big on creatures. On the other hand, your current PWs are relatively modest, so they might not draw a lot of hate. Have you played many games with them yet? How are they working so far?

Similar conundrum with Swan Song; it's been really strong for me in high-creature-count decks, but I'm not sure how well I like it if you can't block the bird easily. I realize it's just a 2/2 bird, but I'm big on causing/preventing incremental damage. It's also a convenient tool for you opponents to murder your 'walkers with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-05 6:24 pm 

OK, if these are the resident deck doctors I'm likely the resident idiot, because I can't figure out what your general is.

When I look at my own decklists I try to relist all the cards, using alternate categories each time. You've used card type, make a new list with card functions (like draw, removal), and after that recategorize the whole thing again on something like score (vital, support, high synergy, low synergy). This exercise helps finding weak spots and candidates for removal. Because hey, this is EDH, and without context you can get away with playing any card. Giving advice on solitary card choices is hard.

One thing I can't find, besides the general, is what your theme is. Describe if there's a theme you would want to stick to, what kind of plays you would want to make (for example "counter stuff", "drrrragon smash!!!1!", merfolk tribal (yes, that's not likely with this list)). Feel free to answer "goodstuff", then we'll just bring out the trolls to convince you otherwise ;)

One thing I noted is that you're playing a Trinket Mage package. I love these kind of subthemes, but you're doing it wrong: you play way too few lands, yet you don't play Expedition Map. That's just criminal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-06 3:04 am 

Hello and welcome
I like Eyes of the Watcher for Melek, it lets you scry alot.
Frantic Search is nice for digging and ramps if you cast it off the top.
Invoke the Firemind is nice because it has options. Melek also copies the x when you cast it.

Lastly, I think it might be illegal to make a deck with this many instants and sorceries and not include Epic Experiment. It is just too fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-06 8:28 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
OK, if these are the resident deck doctors I'm likely the resident idiot, because I can't figure out what your general is.

When I look at my own decklists I try to relist all the cards, using alternate categories each time. You've used card type, make a new list with card functions (like draw, removal), and after that recategorize the whole thing again on something like score (vital, support, high synergy, low synergy). This exercise helps finding weak spots and candidates for removal. Because hey, this is EDH, and without context you can get away with playing any card. Giving advice on solitary card choices is hard.

One thing I can't find, besides the general, is what your theme is. Describe if there's a theme you would want to stick to, what kind of plays you would want to make (for example "counter stuff", "drrrragon smash!!!1!", merfolk tribal (yes, that's not likely with this list)). Feel free to answer "goodstuff", then we'll just bring out the trolls to convince you otherwise ;)

One thing I noted is that you're playing a Trinket Mage package. I love these kind of subthemes, but you're doing it wrong: you play way too few lands, yet you don't play Expedition Map. That's just criminal.

I could stand to categorize better, true. I will swap in a Expedition map.

Wolfram wrote:
Hello and welcome
I like Eyes of the Watcher for Melek, it lets you scry alot.
Frantic Search is nice for digging and ramps if you cast it off the top.
Invoke the Firemind is nice because it has options. Melek also copies the x when you cast it.

Lastly, I think it might be illegal to make a deck with this many instants and sorceries and not include Epic Experiment. It is just too fun.

Duly noted. I have these around. FYI, my only EDH decks thus far have been beat face decks, so running blue is new to me, but Melek is EXCITING.

Offline Profile