Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:27 am

Post subject: Aurelia, the Warleader (with vids)
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 4:05 am 

Here we go:

Commander
1 Aurelia, the Warleader

Creatures (24)
1 Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
1 Archangel of Thune
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Blinding Angel
1 Falkenrath Marauders
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Grand Abolisher
1 Hellrider
1 Hero of Bladehold
1 Hero of Oxid Ridge
1 Inferno Titan
1 Knight of the White Orchid
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Mordant Dragon
1 Silverblade Paladin
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Student of Warfare
1 Sun Titan
1 Urabrask the Hidden
1 Wrecking Ogre

Artifacts (14)
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Boros Keyrune
1 Boros Signet
1 Fireshrieker
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mask of Memory
1 Mind's Eye
1 Scroll Rack
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Staff of Nin
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow

Enchantments (5)
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Goblin Assault
1 Land Tax
1 Militia's Pride
1 True Conviction

Instants (11)
1 Boros Charm
1 Boros Fury-Shield
1 Chaos Warp
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Orim's Thunder
1 Path to Exile
1 Return to Dust
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Tithe
1 White Sun's Zenith
1 Wing Shards

Planeswalkers (2)
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sorceries (5)
1 Austere Command
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Revoke Existence
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Wrath of God

Lands (38)
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Arid Mesa
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Command Tower
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Flooded Strand
1 Marsh Flats
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Mistveil Plains
7 Mountain
11 Plains
1 Plateau
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Slayers' Stronghold
1 Spinerock Knoll
1 Strip Mine
1 Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
1 Temple of the False God
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

So I didn't want this to be a Jor Kadeen deck, and I focused on the attack step. Most of the guys get bonuses for either 1) attacking, or 2) connecting. There are some goofy but fun choices in here, like Falkenrath Marauders and Militia's Pride, but they ended up working out pretty well. Double strike seemed like a good keyword to work in as well.

There's also a minor token theme. I figured it would work out well with Battle Cry and the extra attacks. Plus, they help with draw due to Skullclamp and Mentor of the Meek. There were a bunch of games where I dumped my hand quickly, so I added as much draw as I thought I could.

The deck is focused on getting the right colored mana early on, there's lots of stuff that costs WW and RR. Usually you can cast Aurelia on turn 6 at the latest.

How does it play? Check it out: http://puremtgo.com/articles/conqueror- ... -warleader

Questions or comments, let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Aurelia, the Warleader (with vids)
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 4:26 am 

I think you have the wrong hideaway land. Windbrisk Heights loves attacking.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 5:29 am 

I like the look of it; its pretty similar to my Brion deck, but with more tokens.

I think the top double-strikers you don't have are: markov blademaster and hound of griselbrand... and I think both of those are better than some you do have. Did you try quietus spike? I like it better than basilisk collar, if you have doublestrikers and don't have pingers.

With your instants you could get a lot of fun out of a sunforger. Although, that's so obvious you've probably already decided against it. :) Similarly other staples are pretty good : weathered wayfarer and expedition map look good with your land suite. Also i'd strongly consider buried ruin in any voltron deck. Or something that gets back artifacts. Argivian find or sanctum gargoyle. And with all the fetches did you consider crucible?

I was expecting more extra-attack-step stuff. Waves of Aggression?

How are the planeswalkers? Those two always look weak to me.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-04 6:24 am 

All right, let's go down the list one by one:

I like Spinerock Knoll a little better than Windbrisk Heights because it can trigger when anyone does the damage, not just me. Still, Heights can have a place in the deck. I just wouldn't take out any of the Plains for it.

Markov Blademaster I wanted to love, but was just too small. If the deck was more focused on equipment and Swords it might do better, but by itself it just didn't do enough. Hound of Griselbrand is better, but sort of had a similar problem in being just a beater. Both were in the deck for a while before getting cut for more utility. I miss the Hound honestly.

I did not try Quietus Spike, that's a possiblity. Basilisk Collar is in for being cheap and giving lifelink, which was necessary because Aurelia often has a target on her back.

This could be a good Sunforger deck, I just used it so much in the past that I have shied away from it recently, plus it's a little mana intensive. Same goes for Weathered Wayfarer and Expedition Map (the using it a lot part, not the mana intensive part.

I don't really consider this a voltron deck like Jor Kadeen can be, so the recursion aspects of Buried Ruin, Sanctum Gargoyle and Argivian Find didn't seem as necessary. They could be useful though. Buried Ruin is another colorless land, and I had a lot of stuff that had RR and WW in the casting cost. Crucible of Worlds is frustrating without more of a Loam package in my eyes, especially since I didn't always draw a fetch land.

Initially I did have more stuff like Relentless Assault and World at War and Waves of Aggression in initially. However, they ended up getting cut because I needed more answers, and because Aurelia pretty much fulfills the purpose of these cards. Aggravated Assault is another one that combos with Sword of Feast and Famine specifically, but that's just a judgment call. If you wanted to be more aggressive, I would include the Assault, plus more tutors like Academy Rector and Steelshaper's Gift, but I didn't want to go that route.

This verision of Elspeth is amazing in the deck. Giving anything +3/+3 when Aurelia is out is just a beating, and if she isn't out you can just pump out tokens. And if left unchecked the indestructibility is always good. I really liked this Ajani as well, since he was cheap, recurrable with Sun Titan, and had versatility with making dudes bigger or giving something double strike. Ajani isn't as good as Elspeth though because he definitely needs creatures to be good.

One card I completely forgot about was Ogre Battledriver. I guess you could take out Blinding Angel for it, but that just makes me sad.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-07 1:10 am 

Kor Duelist is actually a pretty good guy to stick a sword or a Bonehoard on. I really like him because I can tutor him with Ranger of Eos and grab something like a Weathered Wayfarer or Figure of Destiny.

Offline Profile