Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 11:30 am

Post subject: Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-14 3:47 pm 

This deck has undergone a major reworking, and has been performing incredibly well since (almost too well). Thanks to everyone who threw suggestions out and shoutout to Magnetic North for recommending the new Commander.

Commander
Dosan the Falling Leaf

Creatures
Acidic Slime
Verdeloth the Ancient
Dungrove Elder
Hua Tuo, Honored Physician
Scavenging Ooze
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Brutalizer Exarch
Wall of Blossoms
Thragtusk
Craterhoof Behemoth
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Karametra's Acolyte
Ulvenwald Tracker
Chameleon Colossus
Silvos, Rogue Elemental
Thrun, the Last Troll
Ivy Lane Denizen
Jugan, the Rising Star
Molder Slug
Worldspine Wurm
Mistcutter Hydra
Polukranos, World Eater
Yavimaya Elder
Fyndhorn Elves
Somberwald Sage
Silklash Spider
Penumbra Wurm
Utopia Tree
Terastodon
Vine Trellis
Predator Ooze
Giant Adephage
Silverglade Elemental
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Woodfall Primus
Nylea's Disciple
Elvish Piper

Enchantments
Into the Wilds
Vernal Bloom
Centaur Glade
Primeval Bounty
Asceticism
Parallel Lives
Doubling Season
Heartbeat of Spring
Helix Pinnacle

Instants/Sorceries
Desert Twister
Krosan Grip
Green Sun's Zenith
Naturalize
Genesis Wave
Primal Surge

Artifacts
Predator, Flagship
Astral Cornucopia
Darksteel Ingot
Akroma's Memorial
Mimic Vat
Staff of Nin
Tower of Fortunes
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun
Wine of Blood and Iron

Planeswalkers
Garruk, Caller of Beasts

Lands x35
Forest x31
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Dryad Arbor
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Rushwood Grove

Strategy:
-Establish solid defense with reasonable-sized dudes and Dosan protecting against disruption.
-Ramp into (and hopefully steamroll through) mana-doubling accelerator enchants/artifacts
-Resolve massive Genesis Wave or Primal Surge, or enable various shenanigans with Doubling Season.
-> Failing that, just, you know, hard-cast stuff. That's what mana is for anyway.
-Play all of the things!
-Swing for lethal damage with numerous Big/Big-with-Tramples.
-Flex for the Gram.

After playtesting multiple commanders with particularly unexciting results, I was surprised by how effectively Dosan worked at the helm. In particular, I was surprised by how long he usually managed to stay on the table. As it turns out, other players don't much care for instant-speed disruption either. Go figure, right? In 1v1 he dies every turn, but I almost always have enough mana to just keep throwing him out.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Again, thanks to everyone who helped rework this list. I greatly appreciate the help turning this deck into a synergistic themed deck instead of the mono-green pile that it used to be.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Last edited by Zirilan of the Claw on 2014-Feb-23 10:34 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jugan, the Rising Star - Mono Green Stuff
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-14 4:23 pm 

If you're just doing Generic Green Goodstuff, the following are under-used generals that could lead the deck:

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Thriss, Nantuko Primus
Kaysa
Kodama of the North Tree
Jolrael, Empress of Beasts

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 3:14 am 

OK, first off, I'd cut the Clex and SP, and replace with Mana Reflection and Woodfall Primus. Keeps the most important functions of those cards, but in ways that will make the deck less of a target.

Verdant Haven seems... well... terribad. 2 life can't make up for the fact that it's an overcosted fertile ground in a deck that doesn't need color fixing. Caged Sun for this.

Jayemdae Tome... card draw is good, but there are better options. I'd start with Staff of Nin, which doesn't require you to pay 4 for every card. Greater Good is also a pretty solid choice here. You have a lot of token production, so Skullclamp seems like a thing as well.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 5:41 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
If you're just doing Generic Green Goodstuff, the following are under-used generals that could lead the deck:

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
Thriss, Nantuko Primus
Kaysa
Kodama of the North Tree
Jolrael, Empress of Beasts

Jolrael and Jedit maybe, and Jed gets points for currently being in the deck. He also performs pretty well whenever I get him to hit the field. Kaysa as a general I'm not really feeling, since this is more Big Dudes than Green Swarm, but she might find a place in the 99. Kodama has the same problem as Jugan: he's just a big generic beater. He's good at what he does, but I'm looking for something with some serious synergy. While Thriss gets points for being the only Legendary Insect (the second best tribe, after Wall), he's just not that good.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
OK, first off, I'd cut the Clex and SP, and replace with Mana Reflection and Woodfall Primus. Keeps the most important functions of those cards, but in ways that will make the deck less of a target.

Not a bad idea. I'll keep an eye out for those.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Verdant Haven seems... well... terribad. 2 life can't make up for the fact that it's an overcosted fertile ground in a deck that doesn't need color fixing. Caged Sun for this.

It's not that bad... but it is pretty bad. This was the classic case of "I have a foil one lying around and I might as well put in in something..." Luckily, I actually do have a Caged Sun lying around, so this should be an easy swap.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Jayemdae Tome... card draw is good, but there are better options. I'd start with Staff of Nin, which doesn't require you to pay 4 for every card. Greater Good is also a pretty solid choice here. You have a lot of token production, so Skullclamp seems like a thing as well.

There's actually a reason for that. The guy I typically loan this deck to possesses an irrational hatred for the Staff of Win that burns like a Sun Titan. Also, that's my old 7th ed JMD Tome with the Francis Bacon quote on it, and it felt like a shame to have such a hero of the Enlightenment languish in a trade binder. But I will agree that the tome could be better replaced with Staff of Nin or Urza's Blueprints. GG and Clamp I might throw in there too, could work.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 8:38 am 

If I am not mistaken, you only have 2 instants in the entire deck. This deck is calling out for Dosan the Falling Leaf to be in charge. If nothing else, they have to kill him instead of other more valuable guys, and he's nice and cheap and can get replayed a few times without much trouble.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-15 9:06 am 

Magnetic North wrote:
If I am not mistaken, you only have 2 instants in the entire deck. This deck is calling out for Dosan the Falling Leaf to be in charge. If nothing else, they have to kill him instead of other more valuable guys, and he's nice and cheap and can get replayed a few times without much trouble.

Heh.

Well then, now we're getting somewhere...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
AgePosted: 2013-Nov-11 10:26 am 

EDIT
Deck has undergone major reworking, including several cuts, swaps, and a commander change. Cuttin' ain't easy, but many of the cut cards like Primordial Hydra and Increasing Savagery have managed to find a new home in my Marath deck.

Commander change has worked beautifully. I was very much surprised by how well he did. Juggs is still in the 99, and he's doing a fine job there. I think he's taking his demotion rather well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-24 2:17 am 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
EDIT
Commander change has worked beautifully. I was very much surprised by how well he did. Juggs is still in the 99, and he's doing a fine job there. I think he's taking his demotion rather well.

I am very pleased to hear this. Everyone who plays a mono-color EDH deck with an unusual commander deserves some serious credit. (And I don't just say that because I have an Eron the Relentless deck either.)

Also, I know someone already mentioned Woodfall Primus, but I just realized that him plus Ivy Lane Denizen are just plain silly together.

I wondered if there were some interesting lands that could be added, so I looked and found a few. None of these are really necessary, but could be useful.

Blasted Landscape / Slippery Karst / Tranquil Thicket
Buried Ruin
Dark Depths
Homeward Path
Miren, the Moaning Well

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-24 5:58 am 

Predator, Flagship is really good. And it shoots ground to air missiles! Well maybe air to air. And they might actually be lazers. The point is it is probably better than Lux Cannon.
Wine of Blood and Iron might be good too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-24 9:23 am 

Wait, who's the general right now, Jedit? The OP is still showing Dosan as the general.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-25 6:56 pm 

EDITS

- Sword of Kaldra, - Sword of Vengeance, + Nylea, God of the Hunt, + Brooding Saurian
Just quick value inclusions. Nyls is decent with ridiculous mana and is a solid body. Emo Lizard is more of a test run. The blades got cut because my commander no longer needs to be Superfly and constantly sideways. Also, feeding Molder Slug is a pain, but he's too awesome to cut, so I could stand to trim a few machines.
Magnetic North wrote:
Also, I know someone already mentioned Woodfall Primus, but I just realized that him plus Ivy Lane Denizen are just plain silly together.

I'm pretty much finding out that ILD is basically awesome in any base-green deck. Need to dig them out of the box o' bulk. Primus always slips under the radar for me for some reason.
MrCool wrote:
Predator, Flagship is really good. And it shoots ground to air missiles! Well maybe air to air. And they might actually be lazers. The point is it is probably better than Lux Cannon.
Wine of Blood and Iron might be good too.

I really like Lux Cannon, but the Predator does seem like a better fit now, especially since it alternates at passing out evasion to all my sadly grounded beatdown squad. The Powerade is definitely worth a try, could be a fun rattlesnake Alt Wincon.
Aggro_zombies wrote:
Wait, who's the general right now, Jedit? The OP is still showing Dosan as the general.

Dosan is the new general. Old general was Jugan. Similar names and titles. Hard to believe one is a giant flying spirit dragon and the other one is just some old dude.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-25 7:33 pm 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
Aggro_zombies wrote:

Dosan is the new general. Old general was Jugan. Similar names and titles. Hard to believe one is a giant flying spirit dragon and the other one is just some old dude.

I could have sworn this was a Dosan thread from the get-go.

I am completely losing it, apparently.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-16 12:18 pm 

EDITS
- Wild Beastmaster, - Lux Cannon, - Brooding Saurian, - Forest x1, + Wine of Blood and Iron, + Woodfall Primus, + Predator, Flagship, + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

I'm one of those rare people who actually likes Lux Cannon, but the fact of the matter is that Monogreen needs creature removal more than just general-purpose removal. Powerade sounded like a cool suggestion and I'm willing to try it out. Nykthos is broken. Like for real. Haven't seen a land this bad in a long time. Can't say it isn't effective though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-16 12:52 pm 

I notice you're running Heartbeat of Spring. I know I said it before, but really consider Mana Reflection over this. Giving your opponents double mana too just seems... unwise.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-16 1:26 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I notice you're running Heartbeat of Spring. I know I said it before, but really consider Mana Reflection over this. Giving your opponents double mana too just seems... unwise.

Heartbeat comes out earlier, allows politicking, and the symmetry can be played around in late game quite easily. Also, Mana Reflection costs about 15 bucks and no one ever has one for trade. Eventually I'm probably going to run both but this deck in particular isn't going to be a high priority for a minute.

As much as I loathe it, I need to save up some cash to get ready for BNG Standard.

Offline Profile