Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 10:10 am

Post subject: Wort, Boggart Auntie - Unleash the Broggarts
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-07 10:26 am 

Fatties have never excited me. I don't know why, they've just never been my style. I enjoy hyper-effecient creatures. I enjoy creatures I can put a Skullclamp on.

I played Karador for a bit, but the grave hate just got to be too much to handle. After a bit of soul and a lot of card sifting, I landed upon Wort. She was everything I wanted in a deck!

After playing the deck for over a year now, it's obviously evolved. It started out as just a pretty fun deck that swarmed and got to kill with a crazy board position every now and then. However, as the group has improved their decks and their skills, this deck had, also, to improve. I now have quite a handful of combos I can go to if people are locking the board down too much, or just not letting me get off the ground.

This is the current state of the deck, but it's constantly adapting to fight my group, as their decks seems to change every few weeks. I appreciate any feedback! :)

General: 1
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie

Goblins: 32
1 Beetleback Chief
1 Boggart Harbinger
1 Earwig Squad
1 Frogtosser Banneret
1 Gempalm Incinerator
1 Goblin Chieftain
1 Goblin Chirurgeon
1 Goblin Lackey
1 Goblin Matron
1 Goblin Piledriver
1 Goblin Recruiter
1 Goblin Ringleader
1 Goblin Ruinblaster
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
1 Goblin Sledder
1 Goblin Tinkerer
1 Goblin Warchief
1 Goblin Wizard
1 Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Krenko, Mob Boss
1 Lightning Crafter
1 Mogg Fanatic
1 Mogg War Marshal
1 Sensation Gorger
1 Siege-Gang Commander
1 Skirk Prospector
1 Sparksmith
1 Stingscourger
1 Tuktuk Scrapper
1 Weirding Shaman

Other Creatures: 2
1 Moggcatcher
1 Necrotic Ooze

Sorcery: 7
1 Decree of Annihilation
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Living Death
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Reanimate
1 Warren Weirding
1 Wheel of Fortune

Instants: 1
1 Chaos Warp

Enchantments: 9
1 Dark Prophecy
1 Elemental Mastery
1 Goblin Bombardment
1 Mana Echoes
1 Oversold Cemetery
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Shared Animosity
1 Stranglehold
1 Vicious Shadows

Artifacts: 14
1 Akroma's Memorial
1 Cloudstone Curio
1 Coat of Arms
1 Eldrazi Monument
1 Gemstone Array
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Rakdos Signet
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Talisman of Indulgence
1 Thornbite Staff
1 Umbral Mantle
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Winter Orb

Lands: 34
16 Mountain
1 Auntie's Hovel
1 Barren Moor
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Cavern of Souls
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Graven Cairns
1 Homeward Path
1 Lavaclaw Reaches
1 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Strip Mine
1 Sulfurous Springs
1 Tresserhorn Sinks

I'm currently trying to find slots for Sword of the Paruns and a few others. Help is appreciated in this regard! I'm considering ditching Reanimate, since my group has gone graveyard-hate nutty.

Last edited by boneclub24 on 2013-Sep-08 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wort, Boggart Auntie - Unleash the Broggarts
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 1:51 am 

I recommend cutting Zealous Conscripts. I really don't think you need the "Ooops, I win" factor, and it's totally off-theme with the rest of the deck.

Needs a Goblin King.

Surprisingly few tutors for a black deck. Do you dislike them, or is it a matter of unavailability?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 4:59 am 

I can see cutting Conscripts. You're right, they are out of theme. I do like them for just being a good card, so hopefully they print a goblin like them soon :D

As for tutors, I love them! A big reason I built this deck was to play Goblin Recruiter. But the problem is availability. I can't justify to myself spending $10+ on a card unless that card is Kiki-Jiki. I've been eBaying pretty hard to find a Demonic and Vampiric, though.

Goblin King I used to play, but I ended up cutting since hardly anyone else plays red decks around here, and my group is really too poor to have Blood Moon be effective.

Thanks for the post!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 5:41 am 

boneclub24 wrote:
hopefully they print a goblin like them soon

Goatnapper? I know, I know, not the same. Word of Seizing can do some good work. Granted it's a one-shot and not Kiki-Jikiable, but if you gots to have threaten for permanents, it does fit the bill.
boneclub24 wrote:
Goblin King I used to play, but I ended up cutting since hardly anyone else plays red decks around here, and my group is really too poor to have Blood Moon be effective.

I was thinking more for the extra pump than the mountainwalk. Anything to kill faster. Also you don't want Elesh Norn to completely shut you down. A few goblin lords go a long way on that front. While we're on that subject... Mad Auntie?

Taking another look through your list, I can't help but wonder why Mana Echoes is there. I don't see any giant casting costs or X-spells that warrant the ridiculous mana output that card can generate. May I suggest Grave Pact? Won't win you any points for originality, but given the propensity of goblins to sacrifice themselves for profit, getting more profit from it seems good. Also, if you like your ETB effects, you could definitely do worse than running Cloudstone Curio.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 6:55 am 

Haha, I just came back to ask about Curio, since I found one in my binder. Definitely could fuel some shenanigans. Also some nice synergy with the Winter Orb.

I recently cut Mad Auntie as well. The lords just weren't pulling their weight unless they granted haste. My group has gotten kind of big on prison effects in the past couple weeks, so I need all my guys to do as much as possible right now.

Mana Echoes is one of those cards that I was skeptical of as well, but once I added it I realized what a staple it is. It makes things get going at a scary pace, especially combined with Gemstone Array or Skirk Prospector. It also has a couple infinites it goes into (but not cornball 2-card ones, usually they need 3+ pieces).

Grave Pact I hadn't considered, but it definitely seems powerful in here if I can generate the BBB consistently enough. I'll try and make a slot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 8:30 am 

boneclub24 wrote:
As for tutors, I love them! A big reason I built this deck was to play Goblin Recruiter. But the problem is availability. I can't justify to myself spending $10+ on a card unless that card is Kiki-Jiki. I've been eBaying pretty hard to find a Demonic and Vampiric, though.

Give some thought to Beseech the Queen. You're running goblins, so chances are it'll find anything in your deck you could want. More importantly, it can be cast for colorless, so if you've got, say, an all mountain draw, you can still cast it (maybe to get a black source?). Plus, being uncommon, it shouldn't hurt that wallet too much. Diabolic Revelation should also be easy to come by, being printed recently, and it'll give you something to do with all that echoing mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 10:36 am 

I forgot about that. I guess I was worried about the casting cost, but it will probably just double as a Diabolic a lot of the time. I'll look to pick up a copy.

I've also picked up a copy of Gamble, so when that arrives I'll find a slot for that, too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 11:53 am 

Solid list, loves me some tribal shenanigans. The only thing I really noticed is that for a red gobbo's deck, you only have three haste engines, and two of them are on (relatively small) bodies. You might consider putting In the Web of War in for this. Goblin Warrens looks like it could be fun in here, also Attrition. Finally, you have a lot of guys that tap for goodstuff, so a Thousand-Year Elixir and an Illusionist's Bracers couldn't hurt.

As to cuts, Gemstone Array and Talisman of Indulgence aren't particularly strong mana rocks and could probably stand to be replaced, even if it it's just with basics. Stranglehold could hit the cutting floor as a meta choice. If your playgroup is heavy into tutoring, ramping, and extra turn shenanigans, then by all means keep it, but otherwise you could probably stand to lose it without too much hassle. Reanimate I could second as well. You don't have that much worth rezzing with it that you can't get back with Wort, and Beacon of Unrest is usually a better choice for stealing. Finally, Goblin Ruinblaster, Tuktuk Scrapper, and Goblin Wizard. They're all good cards, but the first two are meta choices and the wizard seems kind of vulnerable unless your group is heavy on white. Not saying to cut these, but definitely evaluate how much work they usually put in.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 2:36 pm 

I know some of these suggestions kinda fight the theme, but they'd be so good.

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed: Um..... he's helping the goblins because they hate humans just as much as he does? Since he's such a staple, you could get creative with the flavor of him being here. He is a nice lord, good wrath protection, and works really well with sac engines (especially with haste enablers on the board).

Urabrask, the Hidden: Ok, he's a lot more fitting to the flavor, since he bossed around tons of Mirrodin's goblins... But he also is bout the best card for an EDH swarm deck. Another haste enabler that also nullifies opponents' immediate blockers (as well as any of their hasty guys/haste givers).

Goblin Offensive: They certainly are. As is the fact that it's not in the deck. You do have massive mana from Mana Echoes, right?

Comet Storm, Red Sun's Zenith, Banefire, and friends: You seem to be slightly low on removal, and these things are the best in the business for it, especially since they can smack an opponent for the game-winning amount of damage.

Voracious Dragon: Nice beater to divert attention.

Chancellor of the Forge: Next to Chaos Warp, this may be my favorite red EDH card. It is SO GOOD in token decks, and even better with goblins, even better with some cards you got like Mana Echoes and Kiki Jiki.

I'd also recommend slightly more lands. I've never ever been satisfied with 34.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 5:42 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I'd also recommend slightly more lands. I've never ever been satisfied with 34.

Not gonna comment on the other goodstuff suggestions but this one I have to strongly disagree with. Goblins can very easily get by with fewer than 34 lands. He could probably drop his land count to 30 or 32 without much issue. Short of maybe elves, goblins need the least land based mana to really go off.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-09 1:11 am 

I'm going to chime in on running more lands, too. If you don't hit your first 4-5 land drops, you are going to be a sad panda. Your guys are really unimpressive individually, so if you stumble before you get a chance to punish the people who are doing nothing until turn 4 or 5, you will lose.

In my Wort deck, I've found Fodder Launch to be a pretty good thing to recur, though I'm running more token generators than you. On the topic of token generators, I've really loved Goblin Warrens because you get two dies triggers and three EtB ones.

As for things I might cut, Stingscourger seems underwhelming. Mogg Fanatic also seems pretty weak outside of the Necrotic Ooze combo.

Goblin Recruiter is a fantastic tutor, but with your list, it does let you get the pile of Goblin Ringleader, Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker, Lightning Crafter, and Skirk Prospector or Goblin Chirugeon which kills the table given sufficient mana. Because it comes from just the 1 card, I decided to cut Lightning Crafter from my Wort list and use Recruiter+Goblin Charbelcher for a jankier combo instead. This is obviously going to vary depending on how your group feels about combo.

Last edited by JJackson on 2013-Sep-16 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-12 5:26 am 

Sorry for the late reply, guys, and thanks a lot for the posts!

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
Solid list, loves me some tribal shenanigans. The only thing I really noticed is that for a red gobbo's deck, you only have three haste engines, and two of them are on (relatively small) bodies. You might consider putting In the Web of War in for this. Goblin Warrens looks like it could be fun in here, also Attrition. Finally, you have a lot of guys that tap for goodstuff, so a Thousand-Year Elixir and an Illusionist's Bracers couldn't hurt.

I generally like my haste enablers to be on a stick. Gives me easier access to them (even when they die), and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I cast Fervor :\

In the Web of War seems like it could be gamebreaking, I'll definitely try it out. Dreamplay with Krenko?

As to cuts, Gemstone Array and Talisman of Indulgence aren't particularly strong mana rocks and could probably stand to be replaced, even if it it's just with basics. Stranglehold could hit the cutting floor as a meta choice. If your playgroup is heavy into tutoring, ramping, and extra turn shenanigans, then by all means keep it, but otherwise you could probably stand to lose it without too much hassle. Reanimate I could second as well. You don't have that much worth rezzing with it that you can't get back with Wort, and Beacon of Unrest is usually a better choice for stealing. Finally, Goblin Ruinblaster, Tuktuk Scrapper, and Goblin Wizard. They're all good cards, but the first two are meta choices and the wizard seems kind of vulnerable unless your group is heavy on white. Not saying to cut these, but definitely evaluate how much work they usually put in.

Gemstone Array also has nice synergy with Mana Echoes, though, and even has a few infinites with it (including Goblin Warrens, it looks like. Gotta find room for that card). Talisman is the next best mana rock in my colors after Rakdos Signet, and it's nice to have that little bit of acceleration along with Sol Ring and maybe Mana Vault when I can get one. Ancient Tomb will also be coming in shortly.

Stranglehold is good in a meta with lots of blue, ramp, and tutoring. So basically, it's just really good lol. It makes everyone have to play on my terms, but doesn't draw so much hate as so everyone immediately wants to kill me for dropping it. It might just slow the table down for a couple rounds (which is what this deck wants) or just catch a rogue Naturalize.

My only problem with cutting Reanimate is that it was so good to me when the meta was less developed. Getting back a goblin on the cheap was so powerful. But like I said, my meta has grown beyond it. If a Rest in Peace is being dropped several times each game, the graveyards rarely have anything I want back by the time I want to use it. I do like it better than Beacon here, though, because anything I get back of my own short of Kiki-Jiki will be mana lost. if I get back a Warchief or something, I lost out on 2 mana.

Ruinblaster I just had as filler till I could find a Goblin Settler for cheap (still looking lol, please reprint WOTC! :p ), so I can see myself cutting it. Tuktuk Scrapper is too good in my meta. TONS of artifacts running around here (Scars block was popular with a couple of our members, so plenty of Swords and whatnot running rampant). Goblin Wizard is a staple. I can never imagine myself cutting him. Plus he and Kiki-Jiki have some rad synergy :p

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed: Um..... he's helping the goblins because they hate humans just as much as he does? Since he's such a staple, you could get creative with the flavor of him being here. He is a nice lord, good wrath protection, and works really well with sac engines (especially with haste enablers on the board).

Mike just would make me feel dirty adding him, honestly. He's off-theme and powerful, but not in a particularly fun way. Yeah, I had Zealous Conscripts in here, but they were more of a fun and powerful card, if you get me?

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Urabrask, the Hidden: Ok, he's a lot more fitting to the flavor, since he bossed around tons of Mirrodin's goblins... But he also is bout the best card for an EDH swarm deck. Another haste enabler that also nullifies opponents' immediate blockers (as well as any of their hasty guys/haste givers).

This, on the other hand, I can totally get behind. I completely forgot about Urabrask, and I love that card! Definitely finding room for him :)

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Goblin Offensive: They certainly are. As is the fact that it's not in the deck. You do have massive mana from Mana Echoes, right?

It seems too mana intensive without Mana Echoes (which always has a huge target painted on it). If it were on a body, maybe.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Comet Storm, Red Sun's Zenith, Banefire, and friends: You seem to be slightly low on removal, and these things are the best in the business for it, especially since they can smack an opponent for the game-winning amount of damage.

I'll see if I can find a slot to try one of these out, but idk if they'd pull their weight here. This deck relies so much on synergy it's hard to work in cards that are just goodstuff.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Voracious Dragon: Nice beater to divert attention.

Chancellor of the Forge: Next to Chaos Warp, this may be my favorite red EDH card. It is SO GOOD in token decks, and even better with goblins, even better with some cards you got like Mana Echoes and Kiki Jiki.

I actually had these in another build, but I cut them early. Chancellor seemed really cool, but when I had the mana for it, it often meant I hadn't been producing enough goblins to make it relevant. :( Voracious Dragon was just plain underwhelming.

JJackson wrote:
In my Wort deck, I've found Fodder Launch to be a pretty good thing to recur, though I'm running more token generators than you. On the topic of token generators, I've really loved, Goblin Warrens because you get two dies triggers and three EtB ones.

Yes, Goblin Warrens seems fantastic. If only it were on a stick, imagine how much better it would be? (Weirding Shaman being black, it just isn't the same).

Fodder Launch I had in an early build, but cut it. It was underwhelming for me. Might have just been how my meta is.

JJackson wrote:
As for things I might cut, Stingscourger seems underwhelming. Mogg Fanatic also seems pretty weak outside of the Necrotic Ooze combo.

Stingscourger is a nice card to have access to, imo. It's gotten me out of many a stick situation (often times comboing with other players' junk). It also just emphasizes the fact that goblins can do EVERYTHING :p

I'll give it one more week with the EDH group before cutting Fanatic. I really love the guy and his historical significance with the game, but if all this grave hate continues like it does, he just won't make it. Same might even go for Necrotic Ooze.

JJackson wrote:
Goblin Recruiter is a fantastic tutor, but with your list, it does let you get the pile of Goblin Ringleader, Kiki-Jiki, Mirrorbreaker, Lightning Crafter, and Skirk Prospector or Goblin Chirugeon which kills the table given sufficient mana. Because it comes from just the 1 card, I decided to cut Lightning Crafter from my Wort list and use Recruiter+Goblin Charbelcher for a jankier combo instead. This is obviously going to vary depending on how your group feels about combo.

Charbelcher would be hilarious if I can make room. (which I might, with all these suggestions!). I won't be cutting Crafter for it though, I don't think. He has lots of other tricks he can pull off, and lightning bolt on a stick has gotten me there a few times.

Epsilon wrote:
Not gonna comment on the other goodstuff suggestions but this one I have to strongly disagree with. Goblins can very easily get by with fewer than 34 lands. He could probably drop his land count to 30 or 32 without much issue. Short of maybe elves, goblins need the least land based mana to really go off.
[/quote]

What this guy said^ I'm even considering cutting some lands if the cards I'm added in aren't too expensive (and I get me an Ancient Tomb).

Thanks again for all the posts guys! I'm going to maybe proxy up some cards and see what happens this weekend. Changes sure to come!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-12 5:50 am 

boneclub24 wrote:

I generally like my haste enablers to be on a stick. Gives me easier access to them (even when they die), and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I cast Fervor :\

In the Web of War seems like it could be gamebreaking, I'll definitely try it out. Dreamplay with Krenko?

On a stick you say? Sorry, I wasn't sure how you felt about those. Well then, I definitely second UK's Urabrask the Hidden nomination, and add to that the newly released Ogre Battledriver, who happens to be In the Web of War on a stick. Granted, he's not a goblin, so he's not as simple to recur, but in this kind of deck it's almost as good as running a second copy of Web.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-14 9:32 am 

On a stick you say? Sorry, I wasn't sure how you felt about those. Well then, I definitely second UK's Urabrask the Hidden nomination, and add to that the newly released Ogre Battledriver, who happens to be In the Web of War on a stick. Granted, he's not a goblin, so he's not as simple to recur, but in this kind of deck it's almost as good as running a second copy of Web.

Reading this maked me realize that I only like them on a stick when they're goblins lol. Battledriver would be so sweet if it were a goblin, though :(

Offline Profile