Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-22 6:23 pm

Post subject: [Deck] Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-03 1:25 am 

Renaissance: A Doomsday Combo Deck

My Alteration for Sen Triplets based on The Primavera by Sandro Botticelli

0. Prefaction
Inspired by the topic on Scion/Heremit Druid Combo deck by Emether i wanted to build a focused and resilent combo deck that could work efficently in DuelCommander Environment. With the help of this article i figured out a deck that relies on 1 card that makes the dinstinctive (and challenging) element of commander a strength for the deck.

Note:This is a COMPETITIVE 1v1 (although could win on the spot also in multiplayer thanks to maniac) oriented deck.. made for winning (i hope so, lol) , so "spirt of edh" comments are irrilevant, maybe some advices for multiplayer games politics are welcome :)

Please help me to refine this deck, all advices are welcome :)

1. Commander
Learning the lesson about the importance of orim effects from the legacy Doomsday/Fetchland tendrills, to protect our wincon that's easily distruptable (a creature), i wanted the most reliable and protective shell to play the deck. Usually Sen Triplets it's builded to play the enemy threats but this time it will be only a side feature (or an alternative plan) while play undisturbed our combo it's the main goal. Beside this:

Originally Posted by EZ19:
Power/Toughness: 3/3, not bad for a wizard, but they don't usually bash in the red zone or block, I just keep them back where they're safe.
Card Type: Artifact Creature, dies to all creature removal, but most generals do, the artifact part can be bothersome as a Shattering Pulse can just keep blowing the Triplets away, not to mention the myriad of artifact removal in EDH, but oh well.
Creature Type: Human Wizard, not much to say here, the Human part could be nonexistent for all intents and purposes, but the wizard aspect can be useful, saving the Triplets from a nasty spell via Riptide Laboratory can be helpful.
Casting Cost: 2wub, a 5-drop with an ability like that is well worth it, they can be run out easily in the late game and can even die a few times before the additional mana becomes a burden.
Ability: As you can see it's a monster of an effect, being able to not only see what an opponent's packing AND shut them down during your turn but to also get to play THEIR spells, AGAINST THEM, sure it costs mana, but hey, why not just play their land card if you're out, and it's worth it to play their combo piece, or fatty, or removal spell, or wrath, or awesome enchantment, or, well I think I've said enough, so let's not Jump the gun here.

2. Win Con
As I already wrote the Wincon is Laboratory Maniac that wins drawing from our empthy deck with 1. A cantrip 2. A looter 3. Turn draw. To mill our deck we could use a prepared and failsafe Doomsday or a Demonic Consultation (Naming a card that's isn't in our deck) on our Upkeep and win right after.

The standard Doomsday Pile for winning uses the graveyard to save mana and it's:
(You need at least 1 card in hand)
Brainstorm
Gitaxian Probe
Thought Scour
LabMan
Unearth
And uses 2Life(Probe)+U(Scout)+B(Unearth)+U(Brainstorm) to win.

But piles could change depending on the Board/Hand state (Looters/Upkeepdraw/Jace/Combo Aviability/Counters)

If Doomsday Route is unaviable we could win trought Demonic Consultation

If the combo becomes unaviable for some reason the deck could rely on a strong control package + Celestial Dawn/Sentriplets and play control-ish or directly the opponents' threats

3. The Deck @ 21/08/2013

Deck
Commander 1
1 Sen Triplets

Lands 40
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Tolaria West
2 Plains
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Darkslick Shores
4 Swamp
1 Mystic Gate
1 Fetid Heath
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Flooded Strand
1 Secluded Steppe
1 Marsh Flats
1 Command Tower
1 Underground Sea
1 Watery Grave
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Barren Moor
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Arcane Sanctum
1 Polluted Delta
6 Island
1 Scrubland
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Tundra

Looting 3
1 Enclave Cryptologist
1 Thought Courier
1 Merfolk Looter

Draw 6
1 Dark Confidant
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Dark Tutelage

1 Ancestral Vision
1 Fact or Fiction

Cantrip 7
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Ponder
1 Peek
1 Serum Visions
1 Brainstorm
1 Thought Scour
1 Preordain
Tutors 8
1 Personal Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Lim-Dul's Vault
1 Grim Tutor
1 Perplex
1 Drift of Phantasms
1 Dimir Machinations

Counters 12
1 Pact of Negation
1 Dispel
1 Spell Pierce
1 Flusterstorm
1 Ertai's Meddling
1 Mana Leak
1 Remand
1 Delay
1 Memory Lapse
1 Countersquall
1 Counterspell
1 Force of Will

Reroute 3
1 Spellskite
1 Divert
1 Misdirection

DiScard 5
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
1 Duress
1 Castigate
1 Unmask

Orim's 4
1 Orim's Chant
1 Silence
1 Abeyance
1 Grand Abolisher

Bounce/Removal 4
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Sword to Plowshares
1 Into the Roil
1 Vindicate

Recursion 3
1 Unearth
1 Pull from Eternity
1 Snapcaster Mage

Combo 4
1 Doomsday
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Laboratory Maniac

1 Celestial Dawn

Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [Deck] Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-03 4:20 am 

Nice alter!

I'm not sure how well the list will work. That's not necessarily a criticism... I've just never seen anyone try to resolve Doomsday in a competitive EDH setting, so I don't know what will happen.

My impression is this list falls into an awkward space in the metagame. It doesn't look like it wins as quickly as other combo/lock generals like Animar or Zur, so it looks like they could beat you on speed. It has fewer control elements than a true control deck, so it looks like they could beat you in the long game. I could be wrong though, so probably your best bet is to play a few games and see what happens.

One major weakness is that the deck doesn't have much to deal with creatures on the battlefield. Cavern of Souls is a staple in most decks at this point; how does your deck deal with an opponent forcing rude cards like Geist of Saint Traf or Grand Arbiter Augustin IV on to the battlefield?

Also, if you haven't already, you might try posting your list over at http://www.mtgthesource.com... their EDH forum is more competitive than the one here...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-04 7:34 am 

Kemev wrote:
Nice alter!

I'm not sure how well the list will work. That's not necessarily a criticism... I've just never seen anyone try to resolve Doomsday in a competitive EDH setting, so I don't know what will happen.

My impression is this list falls into an awkward space in the metagame. It doesn't look like it wins as quickly as other combo/lock generals like Animar or Zur, so it looks like they could beat you on speed. It has fewer control elements than a true control deck, so it looks like they could beat you in the long game. I could be wrong though, so probably your best bet is to play a few games and see what happens.

One major weakness is that the deck doesn't have much to deal with creatures on the battlefield. Cavern of Souls is a staple in most decks at this point; how does your deck deal with an opponent forcing rude cards like Geist of Saint Traf or Grand Arbiter Augustin IV on to the battlefield?

Also, if you haven't already, you might try posting your list over at http://www.mtgthesource.com... their EDH forum is more competitive than the one here...

Right now i've played agaisnt Traximundar (Control), Kozilek & Red Akroma (Voltron). Against Trax i won 4/5 matches thanks to the slow clock the deck has. With Kozilek i won every time (using duelcommander banlist) and a win 3/5 games (with regular mtgcommander banlist), with akroma i won everytime 1 turn before she would kill me.

What do you suggest ? Damnation/Rout/Consume the Meek .. in exchange of what?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-09 2:02 am 

I'd probably axe whichever two cards have played the worst for Supreme Verdict and an edict effect (either Diabolic Edict or Chainer's Edict).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-19 8:52 am 

Theros Update!

I've streamlined the deck in order to manipulate even better and find doomsday faster. usually when you reach 5 mana you can already try to win protected.
The new entries switch from pure card advantage to a strong card quality. Swan Song from the last expansion gives us a great hardcounter cc1 to protect the combo. Ditto for Read The Bones that replaces the CA enchantments for a quicker game, that is typical of combo. The deck plays well with the mechanical miracle thanks to Mistycal / person tutor / doomsday making us access to a global removal cc1 capable to buy us a round also after doomsday. Chromatic Lantern although it is not a stong play himself and does not allow us to cast the cards of the opponent in {R} and {G}, but has nevertheless proved to be necessary to deal with problems when Urborg and Celestial Dawn are destroyed and against Moon effecs.

For those who want to challenge themselves in multiplayer the deck runs well even in 3ffa and 4ffa never played 5+.. hoping that faster combo concentrate hate from the table, this deck will be recognized as a bad control that isn't drawing nothing...till when you close the game protected in the face of all the others :D . Thanks to targeted counter then you can also do a bit of politics, which never hurts :D

// Lands 38
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Command Tower
1 Underground Sea
1 Watery Grave
1 Drowned Catacomb
3 Plains
1 Flooded Strand
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Marsh Flats
1 Scrubland
1 Tolaria West
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Fetid Heath
1 Shelldock Isle
1 Mystic Gate
1 Tundra
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Arcane Sanctum
4 Swamp
6 Island
1 Isolated Chapel

//Commnader 1
1 Sen Triplets

//Combo 4
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Doomsday

1 Celestial Dawn
1 Chromatic Lantern

//Recursion 3
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Unearth
1 Pull from Eternity

//Tutors 8
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Personal Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Drift of Phantasms
1 Grim Tutor
1 Perplex
1 Lim-Dul's Vault
1 Dimir Machinations

// Looters 4
1 Enclave Cryptologist
1 Thought Courier
1 Merfolk Looter
1 Bonded Fetch

// Cantrips 11
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Mental Note
1 Serum Visions
1 Ponder
1 Peek
1 Brainstorm
1 Sleight of Hand
1 Preordain
1 Peer Through Depths
1 Predict
1 Impulse

//Card Advantage 7
1 Dark Confidant
1 Ancestral Vision
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Underworld Connections
1 Read The Bones
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Fact or Fiction

//Orim Effects 4
1 Grand Abolisher

1 Silence
1 Orim's Chant
1 Abeyance

// Counters 14
1 Pact of Negation
1 Dispel
1 Flusterstorm
1 Swan Song
1 Spell Pierce
1 Ertai's Meddling
1 Remand
1 Memory Lapse
1 Delay
1 Mana Leak
1 Countersquall
1 Counterspell
1 Force of Will
1 Misdirection

// Discard
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
1 Duress
1 Unmask

//Removal 2
1 Terminus
1 Vindicate

Last edited by theg on 2013-Sep-19 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-19 10:35 am 

Is that what the alter actually looks like? It's amazing. Which artist did it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-19 1:28 pm 

Wayne Viktorius wrote:
Is that what the alter actually looks like? It's amazing. Which artist did it?

LOL the alter is digital made by me.

The base is by Sandro Botticelli an italian painter of 1500 ( the deck is called reinasscence in his honor) and the painting is The Primavera where you can find the group of the three charities.

I think that you could acheve a similar effect on a real card, selectively blanking with acetone the art and the missing parts of the frame on the real card and then printing the new art on a trasparent film ( information on mtgsalvation proxy thread ).

Any comment about the deck?! :D

Mini edit: Added Vindicate over Chain of Vapor to have a solution mainboard to permanent hate.. a "permanent" solution.. but maybe i still need a cc1 istant bounce what should i cut ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-29 1:50 am 

u should try to have all lands diferent so u can play tainted pact for another way to win

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-01 9:53 am 

Bulaxas wrote:
u should try to have all lands diferent so u can play tainted pact for another way to win

Thx for your reply. i previoulsy played Demonic Consultation with the same effect and cc1. you need to have laboratory in play and protection (for your spell and for labman) to play it. Plus tap-to-draw effect for istant win / wait for your next draw.

It' a 2 card combo to easy to distrupt in my mind. When i had Consultation in hand i never played it for the fear of milling some combo piece.

doomsday on the other hand it's a 1 card combo.

Despite this, having all different lands exposes ourself to land hate and moon effects.. with a bbb mana cost i think it's too risky.

Offline Profile