Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:40 am

Post subject: Bladewing the Risen - Blood Dragon Reanimator
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 2:38 pm 

(Soundrack by Powerglove)

This is Commander Bladewing of Omega Force broadcasting to all Primary-Level Civilized Nations. This is an ultimatum. Our unstoppable army of resurrected Blood Dragons will be unleashed upon the Earth, and I shall rule you all with an iron fist. Submit or be destroyed!

Omega Force Commander
Bladewing the Risen

Blood Dragons
Shivan Hellkite
Malfegor
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Balefire Dragon
Mana-Charged Dragon
Bogardan Hellkite
Thundermaw Hellkite
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Kilnmouth Dragon
Scourge of Valkas
Vampiric Dragon
Knollspine Dragon
Steel Hellkite
Hellkite Tyrant
Moonveil Dragon
Utvara Hellkite
Hellkite Charger
Stormbreath Dragon
Ryusei, the Falling Star

Reanimation Program
Living Death
Yawgmoth's Will
Animate Dead
Torrent of Souls
Rise of the Dark Realms
Necromancy
Rescue from the Underworld
Beacon of Unrest
Patriarch's Bidding
Nezumi Graverobber

Research and Excavation Department
Sneak Attack
Corpse Connoisseur
Undead Gladiator
Buried Alive
Zombie Infestation
Faithless Looting

Weaponized Dragon Blood Missiles
Life's Finale
Black Sun's Zenith
Rakdos Charm
Burnt Offering

Contingency Plans
Crucible of Fire
Havoc Festival
Wound Reflection

Mk. V Cybersoldiers
Urabrask the Hidden
Anger
Mindclaw Shaman
Flayer of the Hatebound
Zirilan of the Claw
Burnished Hart
Erebos, God of the Dead

Doomsday Devices
Staff of Nin
Gilded Lotus
Darksteel Ingot
Illusionist's Bracers
Rakdos Cluestone
Dreamstone Hedron
Mind Stone
Rakdos Signet
Spine of Ish Sah

Colonel Sloan and Dr. Elizabeth Veronica Darling
Sarkhan the Mad
Liliana of the Veil

Evil Base Built into Side of Skull-Shaped Volcano
Bojuka Bog
Tainted Peak
Akoum Refuge
Thespian's Stage
Forgotten Cave
Dragonskull Summit
Blackcleave Cliffs
Evolving Wilds
Rakdos Carnarium
Barren Moor
Bloodstained Mire
Cavern of Souls
Temple of the False God
Command Tower
Shivan Gorge
Mountain x12
Swamp x10

Plan A: cn. POWER CORE
-Enhance self with Dragon Blood infusions, granting superpowers and laserbreathing abilities.
-Utilize forbidden necromantic magics and EEEVIL science to resurrect legions of prehistoric Blood Dragons.
-Commence concentrated long-range missile attack utilizing weaponized Dragon Blood warheads.
-Capitalize on chaos created by bombardment with wide-scale invasion using Mk. V Cybersoldiers and reanimated Blood Dragon army.
-World Domination!

Plan B: cn. ETERNAL FORMAT
-Reanimate Dragons.
-Attack with them.
-Deal damage.
-Repeat until victorious.
-World Domination!

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Last edited by Zirilan of the Claw on 2014-Jan-23 10:44 am, edited 17 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Bladewing the Risen Tribal Reanimator
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 3:55 pm 

Welcome to the EDH forums!

The first thing I'm going to recommend is to lose the infect cards. You have 3, and only Skittles is even searchable with your list. That means you're relying way too much on one card, and if you reanimate him and drop 8 infect on someone, then he gets hit with Path to Exile, you've wasted 2 or 3 turns for basically nothing. Here's some cuts I would make and suggested replacements;

Skittles, Glistening Oil, Inkmoth Nexus. - I just covered this. Suggested: Scourge of Kher Ridge, Spine of Ish Sah, Bojuka Bog. Scourge is just awesome. Spine is a way for R/B to answer problem enchantments, as well as a cute combo with Hoard-Smelter Dragon if you get them both on-line. Bog is yard hate, and every deck should have some.

Mutavault - it's a good card, but doesn't seem like it helps you that much, and it makes colorless, which at some point will become awkward. I'd sub in another mountain, and save the vault for a deck that can abuse it better.

Rakdos, Sire of Insanity - Rakdos is cute, but seems way off-theme and might be a pain to cast. Sire is powerful, but while you want to discard things so you can reanimate them, there's no reason to put yourself in topdeck mode to do it. Quicksilver Amulet was recently in the core set, and will provide you an alternate way to cheat on casting costs (at instant speed, no less). Liliana Vess should be inexpensive, and left unchecked can be ridiculous. In addition to being a tutor, you can target yourself with her +1 ability, and selectively put things from hand to yard.

Dragon Hatchling, Slumbering Dragon - These are on-theme, but one doesn't do enough and the other might not do anything before it's too late. Instead, how about some more reanimation? Beacon of Unrest is the gift that keeps on giving, and it can grab artifacts too, and versatility is good, right? Living Death is a classic, and doubles as a boardwipe when you need it to, and one that kills indestructibles to boot. Just be sure to exile your opponent's graveyards first.

Attrition - This is a great card... if you have enough fodder for it. You're playing DRAGONS, so chances are, whatever you're snackrificing is costlier than what you're killing. Bad trade. I'd pop in a Gilded Lotus, to help power out your scaly doom machines faster (if you can't get them on the cheap another way).

EDIT: BTW, just for kicks I added up the prices of all those suggestions on Starcity, assuming mint condition - $27.00.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 5:36 pm 

Tried Scourge, but found him to be WAY too mana intensive, even when I get around his 8 CMC. His first ability tended to wind up being innefectual more times than not, and the friendly fire from his second ability always wound up setting me back. Most of the time he'd just be a 6/6 flyer for 8.

All the other cuts and adds are choice though. Living Death has been on my list for a couple of decks, but I rarely see one show up at my LGS. Prolly gonna wind up ordering it. I think I actually have most of the other ones around... somewhere in all these boxes...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 12:53 am 

I would cut Dragon Egg and Rakdos Pit Dragon. Neither of them do enough IMO. Some good replacements would be Kokusho, the Evening Star (who was tailor-made for a deck like this) and Mind Stone. Speaking of Mind Stone, I'd replace Rakdos Keyrune with Rakdos Cluestone. Drawing a card beats a small beater any day of the week.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 1:53 am 

Egg I was on the fence about, but it IS handy wrath insurance. Pit Dragon could probably go at little cost. It didn't make my Karrthus deck. Archwing Dragon is probably also losable. Kokopuffs might not fit the "budget" definition, which is why I passed him over.

Some other things you might consider;
Rakdos Signet - yay artifact ramp!
Relic of Progenitus - more yard hate
Dreamstone Hedron - big ramp and big card draw
Flameblast Dragon - great way to use mana if you have excess and nothing to do with it. Note it case you weren't aware that its ability is NOT copied by Illusionist's Bracers. Resonator is fair game though.
Imperial Hellkite - 8 mana is a lot, but it tutors you a dragon.
Mana-Charged Dragon - play some politics and kill the guy who's dominating the table (assuming it's not you, of course!)

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 2:49 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Egg I was on the fence about, but it IS handy wrath insurance. Pit Dragon could probably go at little cost. It didn't make my Karrthus deck. Archwing Dragon is probably also losable. Kokopuffs might not fit the "budget" definition, which is why I passed him over.

Pretty much this for egg. Its on that weird position of being sturdy enough that it needs something like PtE to answer, but innocuous enough that no one is actually going to waste a PtE on it. It's a decent blocker and a decent swinger without requiring too much of a mana investment or complicated triggers. Also, the baby dragon token it makes is adorable. Its not fantastic, but it puts in a surprising amount of work, so its about mid-way on the list of things I'm willing to lose.

And yeah, Kokes is a little pricey for this. I'd try to trade for one if I could find one, but I'd be a bit hesitant about buying one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 10:00 am 

Changeling Berserker is worth your time. It interacts with your dragon cards and reuses EtBs (very nice with bladewing). It can also be tutored with zirilan to protect himself or others.

Bladewing's Thrall is a nice blocker that keeps coming back. I'm almost always happy to see it, even without a Dragon Broodmother. Goes very well with flayer of the hatebound, too.

Everything's better with sac outlets, and you could use a couple more. Stuff like:
Blasting Station (good with either of the above cards)
Sarkhan the Mad (if you can handle $5-6 for a planeswalker)
Fling
Burnt Offering (a nice play between tutoring with zirilan and casting bladewing)

You should try to be ready to kill your dragons off when you tutor for them with zirilan so you can still rez them later.

Oh, and get a Cauldron Dance. You'll be glad you did.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 1:44 pm 

Rollcage wrote:
Changeling Berserker is worth your time. It interacts with your dragon cards and reuses EtBs (very nice with bladewing). It can also be tutored with zirilan to protect himself or others.

Bladewing's Thrall is a nice blocker that keeps coming back. I'm almost always happy to see it, even without a Dragon Broodmother. Goes very well with flayer of the hatebound, too.

Everything's better with sac outlets, and you could use a couple more. Stuff like:
Blasting Station (good with either of the above cards)
Sarkhan the Mad (if you can handle $5-6 for a planeswalker)
Fling
Burnt Offering (a nice play between tutoring with zirilan and casting bladewing)

You should try to be ready to kill your dragons off when you tutor for them with zirilan so you can still rez them later.

Oh, and get a Cauldron Dance. You'll be glad you did.

I could probably handle 5 bucks for a walker, but I don't know if I could handle the shame of actually buying a copy of Sarkhan the Bad. Though to be fair, this is probably the one deck he's ever going to shine in.

Bladewing's Thrall and Cauldron Dance are choice picks that I definitely forgot about. Burnt Offering I didn't even know existed.

Everything else in there, eh, idunno, maybe.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 2:31 pm 

Whaddaya mean Sarkhan the Bad? He's great for plenty of EDH decks, not to mention the number of Standard matches I've won with him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 3:06 pm 

Step 1: Cast Sarkhan the Mad
Step 2: Living Death, putting 30 power of dragons on table
Step 2a: Cackle with deviant glee
Step 3: Profit!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-09 6:51 am 

Edited. Changes:

-Inkmoth Nexus, -Mutavault, +Bojuka Bog, +Mountain
Standard land fixing, now with GY hate.
-Exhume, -Twilight's Call, +Stranglehold, +Rakdos Charm, +Relic of Progenitus
Meta choices. The group I play with has two Mimeoplasms and a Jhoira of the Ghitu, and one of those Mimeo guys has no other decks, so Stranglehold can put in work while the symmetrical rez spells can go. Rakdos Charm also goes in because I noticed the deck was a little weak on Artifact hate.
-Rakdos, Lord of Riots, -Sire of Insanity, +Nihilistic Glee
Cute creatures like yall said, but otherwise not all that great. Nihilistic Glee works much better as a pitch engine than Sire, and can draw cards in a pinch, which I noticed I was lacking.
-Dragon Hatchling, -Slumbering Dragon, -Archwing Dragon, -Rakdos Pit Dragon, +Mana-Charged Dragon, +Imperial Hellkite
Bigger is better.
-Rakdos Keyrune, -Caged Sun, -Armillary Sphere, -Journeyer's Kite, +Dreamstone Hedron, +Gilded Lotus, +Rakdos Cluestone, +Rakdos Signet, +Mind Stone
Hard ramp over hand ramp, also cards in a pinch. And hey, maybe I can actually win with a Hellkite Tyrant trigger now.
-Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, -Glistening Oil, +Living Death, +Cauldron Dance
Infect out, reanimation bombs in.
-Dragon Roost, +Sarkhan the Mad
13 mana for a 5/5 flyer before it gets Sylvia'd. It wasn't working. Hopefully Sarkhan the Emo puts in some work for me. Despite my smack-talking, I'm actually pretty optimistic about him.
-Attrition, +Burnt Offering, +Quicksilver Amulet
QSA: the second best thing in Reanimator. Attrition was good, but without tokes or complicated combos, just not good enough.

On another note, I ordered a Beacon of Unrest for this deck but the retailer accidently shipped me a Beacon of Destruction instead. Trying to get that sorted out. Prolly cut Dragon Egg for that when I get it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-09 12:27 pm 

Nightscape Familiar is a decent blocker with pretend mana attached.

As for discard outlets, Wild Guess is not terrible, and there are some looters like Academy Raider, or Mad Prophet. Also, I think Chandra Ablaze is awesome, as is Reforge the Soul and Wheel of Fate.

Knollspine Dragon is also some sweet discard/draw/dragon action. Pretty much everything you're looking for.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-10 4:05 pm 

Sinis wrote:
Nightscape Familiar is a decent blocker with pretend mana attached.

As for discard outlets, Wild Guess is not terrible, and there are some looters like Academy Raider, or Mad Prophet. Also, I think Chandra Ablaze is awesome, as is Reforge the Soul and Wheel of Fate.

Knollspine Dragon is also some sweet discard/draw/dragon action. Pretty much everything you're looking for.

Man, Knollspine is always slipping under my radar. Definitely need to try him out at some point. After a few playtests, my pitch is actually pretty much where I want it, though Ablaze could definitely help the deck out. Should do a price check on her. I actually think I might need more pitchable big dudes. Luckily they print a big scary dragon in every new set, and I still have a bunch of generic dragons like Hellkite Charger and Mordant Dragon that I could throw in, though they were all a bit lackluster in previous iterations.

Also, if I did throw in Chandra, she'd be Elizabeth Darling. Sarkhan the Mad is obviously Sloan, so who would I get to be Rex Colt?

Soon no one will stop my army of Blood Dragons!

Also: -Swamp x1, +Mountain x1

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-10 5:15 pm 

You could look for some alternate ways to sneak in your dragons. By sneak, I mean Sneak Attack. That's probably out of your budget, so I'll suggest it's budget friend Deathrender instead. It's nice Wrath insurance. Nim Deathmantle does something different, yet has similar Wrath insurance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-10 6:01 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
You could look for some alternate ways to sneak in your dragons. By sneak, I mean Sneak Attack. That's probably out of your budget, so I'll suggest it's budget friend Deathrender instead. It's nice Wrath insurance. Nim Deathmantle does something different, yet has similar Wrath insurance.

Ye gods, how much is sneak attack running these days? (checks) 35 bucks?! Yeah, I'll hold off on that one.
Deathrender is very good, but I don't think it's the right card for this deck. To really maximize it, I'd need a chump to put it on, a sac outlet, and some way to generate card advantage for doing all that. It's currently in my Vish Kal deck, which does this flawlessly every time, but in this it sort of feels more like a 1-trick gimmick.
Nim Deathmantle requires that I keep 4 mana open, which is possible, but hard. Also, both of these cards care about my creatures dying, which means they wind up in the 'yard. I can bounce back from those kind of wraths without too much trouble. It's stuff like Terminus that I'm usually more worried about.

Offline Profile