Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-13 7:46 am

Post subject: Karador, Ghost Chieftain - Combo Creatures!!
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 9:10 am 

Hello, This is one of my decks, and is very strong in 3+ people games, i don't play EDH 1 vs 1 games, you should try and give me your opinions! Thank You!

The Main Plan is to get Ashnod’s Altar or Greater Good or Dimir House Guard or Altar of Dementia to a sacrifice motor, and then the creatures that we need, to combo to a infinite Necrotic Sliver or Acidic Slime,(Reveillark+ Karmic Guide): Example for the beginners players: With one of Sacrife Motors that a refer before and with Reveillark + Karmic Guide+ Acidic Slime, sac Acidic Slime + sac Karmic Guide + sac Reveillark-trigger return Acidic Slime and Karmic Guide-trigger return Reveillark, do this as many times you need!
, or
Mill your opponents with Altar of Dementia (Sun Titan or Reveillark + Saffi Eriksdotter can get you the Loop).

In the meanwhile, try to ramp to build a good mana base, play some board sweepers, get Mindslicer + Sac. effect, get Gaddock Teeg it gain us a lot of time!,etc.. try to control the big threats.

General:
Karador, Ghost Chieftain

Lands(38):
Godless Shrine
Overgrown Tomb
Temple Garden
Bloodstained Mire
Verdant Catacombs
Wooded Foothills
Windswept Heath
Savannah
Bayou
Scrubland
5xForest
3xPlains
3xSwamp
Sunpetal Grove
Isolated Chapel
Reflecting Pool
Command Tower

Orzhov Basilica
Golgari Rot Farm
Selesnya Sanctuary
Bojuka Bog

Tranquil Thicket
Krosan Verge
Temple of the False God

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Maze of Ith
Homeward Path
Strip Mine
Phyrexian Tower
High Market

Spot and Mass Removal(7):

Swords to Plowshares
Putrefy
Mortify

Pernicious Deed
Austere Command
Damnation
Decree of Pain

Mana & Tutors & Draw & Utility (22):

Mana (8):
Nature’s Lore
Cultivate
Farseek
Garruk Wildspeaker
Mirari’s Wake
Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot
Ashnod’s Altar

Tutor (6):

Vampiric Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Survival of The Fittest
Eladamri’s Call
Tooth and Nail
Congregation at Dawn

Draw (5):
Greater Good
Harmonize
Sensei’s Divining Top
Sylvan Library
Phyrexian Arena

Utility (2)
Deadbridge Chant
Altar of Dementia

Creatures(33)

Big Ones (2):

Kokusho, the Evening Star
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger

Mana Creatures (6):

Wood Elves
Farhaven Elf
Yavimaya Elder
Solemn Simulacrum
Oracle of Mul Daya
Sakura-Tribe Elder

Recursion Creatures (7):

Genesis
Reveillark
Karmic Guide
Sun Titan
Puppeteer Clique
Saffi Eriksdotter
Eternal Witness

Utility Creatures (6):
Scavenging Ooze
Nezumi Graverobber
Academy Rector
Mindslicer
Dimir House Guard
Knight of the Reliquary

Removal Creatures (8):

Sylvan Primordial
Ashen Rider
Harmonic Sliver
Necrotic Sliver
Acidic Slime
Bone Shredder
Bane of the Living
Duplicant

Protection Creartures (4):
Riftsweeper
Gaddock Teeg
Aven Mindcensor
Spirit of the Hearth

Other Options and Suggestions:

Trading Sterling Grove for one of the tutors/top manipulation cards.
Kagemaro, First to Suffer for Damnation
Thinking including Myojin of Night's Reach to get even more control!
Trading Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger for Mana Reflection if Clex's its to powerfull in your metagame.
Mephidross Vampire+ Triskelion for Tooth and Nail Win! I don't play this because with my friend we don't play one card combos!

Last edited by MagusdoVinhedo on 2013-Oct-06 12:42 am, edited 56 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karador, Ghost Chieftain
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-27 6:43 am 

You're running fewer creatures than most Karador builds I've seen, which makes a few of your cards (like Golgari Grave-Troll) a bit worse. All of your non-creature spells are really good, but it might be worth looking for ways to substitute more creatures... for example, Damnation could become Kagemaro, First to Suffer, or Cultivate could become Farhaven Elf.

Knight of the Reliquary is great with the A-list lands.

Gaddock Teeg seems awkward here. He cuts off your planeswalkers and a lot of your best non-creature spells, so if you like him, you might consider cutting some of the walkers and other spells, or if you like them better, cut Teeg.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-28 10:51 pm 

Thank Kemev for your commentary!
Knight of the Reliquary and Farhaven Elf are really good suggestions, Kagemaro, First to Suffer i didn't like because it's not often we had a lot of cards in hand, and Damnation resolves all creatures problems, and made a good reset for the game, that's only good for our deck!

Gaddock Teeg is a really good card in my metagame, because the are some control and combo decks, and it cut's your cards, but once we had the right cards, we just stop all the cards that are bad to us! I only play 3+ players games, i don't like 1 vs 1, because, i think it's all about who draw the best cards first. And Gaddock works very well!

Normally MindSlicer is a key card, And the deck normally wins with creatures combo, Karmic Guide \ Reveillark \ Sun Titan \ Saffi Eriksdotter, or beat down.

The worst card for our deck is Bojuka Bog !

Last edited by MagusdoVinhedo on 2013-Jul-30 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-30 7:44 pm 

If you are worried about spells or abilities that target you then where is the witchbane orb or ivory mask?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-30 8:03 pm 

Oddjob0KC
first of all thank you,
i'm not that worry, it's just a good card to have gaddock, to stall the game that it is good to us, Ivory Mask and Witchbane Orb don't resolve much!

Last edited by MagusdoVinhedo on 2013-Jul-30 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-30 8:12 pm 

Bojuka bog requires to target the player. So making it where it no longer can target you helps protect your graveyard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-30 8:43 pm 

Ok you right, i could try Ivory Mask for Mimic Vat!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karador, Ghost Chieftain - Combo Creatures!!
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-31 2:53 am 

How competitive is your meta exactly? I only ask because Vorinclex is usually absent from all but the most competitive decks (because it kinda sucks to play against it). If your group is high powered and ok with 'clex, then more power to you. If it isn't that competitive, may I suggest Mana Reflection? Actually, screw that, run Mana Reflection regardless of if you want Vorinclex. It's about green's best EDH card since PT's ban.

I think one key to an awesome GY based combo deck is sac engines. You only have three, and one of them will more often be used as a tutor (and once it goes in the yard, you'll probably have better things to reanimate). Viscera Seer, Phyrexian Altar, and maybe even Altar of Dementia are great examples.

I'd also suggest just a touch more reanimation than you're running. Sheoldred, Whispering One can act like a second Karador with your opponents losing a creature every turn. I would also recommend running the "core four" (Reanimate, Animate Dead, Necromancy, and Dance of the Dead). Also, with all of the mana you have, Geth, Lord of the Vault might be worth some consideration.

It seems a little unorthodox, but I'm pretty sure that with Erratic Portal, you can bounce Karador, and then cast him as a new object, making you cast more than one creature from the GY each turn. Even if that doesn't work, being able to bounce your ETB guys=victory.

Finally, I would suggest some graveyard hate to fight decks better at reanimation from abusing your yard. The best idea I have is Scavenging Ooze, and Nezumi Graverobber has built-in reanimation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-31 6:24 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I think one key to an awesome GY based combo deck is sac engines. You only have three, and one of them will more often be used as a tutor (and once it goes in the yard, you'll probably have better things to reanimate). Viscera Seer, Phyrexian Altar, and maybe even Altar of Dementia are great examples.

I noticed the lack of sac engines myself. I was about to suggest the ones he mentioned, but I guess I don't have to list them out now.

If you are truly wanting to go combo, a couple cards I would recommend are Animate Dead and Saffi Eriksdotter to combo with your Sun Titan. With these and a reusable sac outlet, you can get any creature out of your grave, or simply sac them infinitely to gain whatever you are sac-ing them infinitely.

One card I like to add to my Karmic Guide + Reveillark is Highway Robber. It lets you kill the board without the need to destroy everything (Acidic Slime) or RFG everything Duplicant.

If you are playing against control, a couple good cards you can use to completely shut them down (at least during your turn) are: Grand Abolisher and Dosan the Falling Leaf.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-31 7:42 pm 

Thank You Uktabi_Kong and archmagemc!

I had I lot of testing with this deck, so i can honestly say that i have the right number of sac engines, because with all the tutors\draws i have, i always get one. I can cut on the draw to get more sac engines, but i prefere this way! Although, i like the Altar of Dementia idea, because can work like an winning condition or into our favor, i will for sure find room for it!

About Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, there other players playing it in my metagame, and we think that's a fair card, powerfull but fair!

About Highway Robber its just adding another winning condition that we don't need, and i think Necrotic Sliver and Acidic Slime are better creatures to get when we aren't going for combo!

Uktabi_Kong your suggestion of more reanimation its good, but its going in another direction to the deck plan. Just a personal option!

About graveyard hate i have Bojuka Bog with 3 bounce lands and that is the more effective hate, Scavenging Ooze is great and in the beggining i had it in my deck, maybe a its time to get it back ;)

Last edited by MagusdoVinhedo on 2013-Aug-13 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-31 8:11 pm 

archmagemc about Grand Abolisher and Dosan the Falling Leaf, i don't think that we need that much protection.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-01 11:50 am 

Some additional options for protecting your board would be sterling grove and privileged position. With both in play your permanent would all be hexproof. Additionally sterling grove would allow you to tutor for another enchantment if it was being destroyed or no longer needed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-01 7:40 pm 

Thank You again Oddjob0KC!

Sterling Grove is a great suggestion, i think i can trade for one of the tutors or top manipulation, and S.Grove can tutor for some enchantment that i need or just give protection to other one.

Privileged Position it's not a bad card, but i don't see space in the deck for it.

Any suggestion to S.Grove, thinking in Sensei's Divining Top or Sylvan Library? Sensei only die to Krosan Grip and work well with the fetch lands and tutors, sylvan its free manipulation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-01 9:53 pm 

So I have been giving you cards that I use in my Karador deck. I will be posting soon but one thing I think I have been over looking is where is your thoughtpicker witch. the reason I ask is if you use thoughtpicker to sac mindslicer then you get to choose what your opponent draws next and with karador you get to choose every turn moving forward.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-04 12:14 am 

Thoughtpicker Witch is a good card, but in 1 vs 1 EDH games, in multiplaying games isn't a great sac motor i think!

Offline Profile