Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:56 pm

Post subject: Thrun Voltron/Token Producer (Casual Commander)
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 10:11 am 

Hello all! I've been kicking around with my friends building a mono-green EDH deck for a little while starring one of my favorite cards in the game as my commander: Thrun. I've always liked the idea of a voltron deck and I figured if I were to go for it I might as well do it aligned with my favorite color.

Anyways, this deck is entirely for casual play and isn't a competitive masterpiece, I'm sure. The majority of my friends don't build decks that are majorly BS or anything like that, it's mostly all fair games with relatively equal win rates.

However as the title suggests I've also thrown in a token theme to provide me with chump blockers and function as a secondary win condition if at all possible. A little ramp was thrown in as well so I can drop as many equipments and enchantments as I can as soon as possible.

So, here's the list. Just first things first, the mana base isn't pretty, and while I would love to throw in four of the fetches with Forest in their name, it's not really an option with the budget I have. Past that, feel free to throw me some suggestions! I'm open to everything and anything.

Commander:
Thrun, the Last Troll

Land base:
28x Forest
Token/Chump Blockers:
Dryad Arbor
Khalni Garden
Utility:
Reliquary Tower
To pump Thrun:
Cathedral of War
Llanowar Reborn
Rogue's Passage
Turntimber Grove

Mana Ramp:
Cultivate
Rampant Growth
Ranger's Path (I had just figured out about Skyshroud Claim so until I have it I guess this will do, or will be replaced)
Llanowar Elves
Arbor Elf
Elvish Mystic
Fyndhorn Elves
Joraga Treespeaker
Birds of Paradise
Garruk Wildspeaker (also can double as a token producer, or a finisher with his ultimate. Go utility!)

Token Producers/Chump Blockers:
Beacon of Creation
Fungal Sprouting
Ant Queen
Hornet Queen
Kazandu Tuskcaller
Master of the Wild Hunt
Mitotic Slime
Mycoloth
Sprouting Phytohydra
Traproot Kami
Wolfbriar Elemental
Awakening Zone
Druid's Call
Fists of Ironwood (Also a nice way to give Thrun trample)
Fungal Sprouting

Token Support:
Overwhelming Stampede
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Eldrazi Monument
Spidersilk Armor (For those pesky flyers)
Leyline of Vitality
Parallel Lives
Doubling Season (also helps with anything that gives Thrun counters, Garruk too.)
Skullclamp

Voltron Aspects:
Wolfir Silverheart (Doubles as an 8/8 big dude. Another attacker? Good chump blocker? He's pretty good.)
Bear Umbra
Blanchwood Armor
Rancor
Snake Umbra
Loxodon Warhammer
Ring of Kalonia
Strata Scythe
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Vengeance
Umezawa's Jitte*
Increasing Savagery
Whispersilk Cloak
Invigorate
Might of Oaks
Primal Bellow

General Utility:
Dosan, the Falling Leaf
Silent Arbiter
Beast Within
Krosan Grip
Moment's Peace
Wall of Blossoms
Garruk, Primal Hunter (Although he can make tokens, I feel the majority of the time the best use is his minus ability to draw a bunch of cards)
Instill Energy (Basically gives Thrun vigilance regardless of whether or not he regenerates)
Lignify
Mirri's Guile
Sylvan Library
Vow of Wildness (Also can give Thrun some buff if need be)

Cards I'm interested in adding in:
Sol Ring (I nearly choked when I realized this wasn't originally in here)
Seedborn Muse
Eldrazi Conscription
Batterskull
Trailblazer's Boots (Perhaps instead of Whispersilk Cloak?)
Inquisitor's Flail
Some form of double strike.

*Unfortunately at the moment this is the only card I don't have in here. It's right now being replaced with a Greater Good in case of a Wrath, Wash Out, Final Judgement or whatever.

I guess that's it. As said, all and every suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thrun Voltron/Token Producer (Casual Commander)
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 10:50 am 

I've also got a Thrun voltron deck, and here's a few suggestions I have for you:

Switch most of your auras to equipments - I've found that as much as you might like to think Thrun is unkillable, he's not. Auras will be gone, whereas equipment will be around for Thrun's return.

Add:
Ancient Stirrings - This card is seriously overlooked in decks. Early game it will get you a land. Late game it will get you an artifact (or Eldrazi).
Night Soil - Combination token production and graveyard denial.
Pariah's Shield - Never underestimate this card in conjunction with a hexproof regenerating creature...
Power Matrix - The best non-equipment equipment I've seen, and gives you the all-important trample. The flexibility of messing with other players' combat is fun, too.

Get rid of:
Sword of Body and Mind - The mill is more likely to help opponents than hurt them, and the 2/2 wolf isn't good enough to justify it.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thrun Voltron/Token Producer (Casual Commander)
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-16 8:37 pm 

So I decided to look around a few other Thrun decks and play around with my own.

I agree, artifacts are better. Not because he's unkillable (although I did face a friend who ran mono black and Chainer's Edict effects who targeted me the whole game the first time I played this deck .-.) and I've found that the token sub-theme just doesn't work. Far too expensive to be useful. So, I've revamped the deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thrun-king-of-tokens/

I don't really feel like editing my post right now, but that's the deck I want to run along with eight cards I still want to fit in. Anything I took out is under the sideboard for reference.

Anymore feedback would be lovely! I'd love to hear all opinions!

Offline Profile