Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 6:45 pm

Post subject: Modular Vish Kal
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-04 9:29 am 

Seeing Tarasco's Vish Kal deck made me want to put up my own.

Modular is reason I built this deck in the first place. I don't remember being excited by vish kal before then. It isn't so uncommon to sac a modular creature with 4+ counters, then a creature with 7+, then a creature with 10+. It escalates pretty quickly and makes for a lot of +/+ or a lot of -/-. All the recursion in here is mostly so I can throw more counters around. Only mostly. I'd run out of creatures fast without it.

General: Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter

Counters: 16
Arcbound Worker
Arcbound Stinger
Arcbound Slith
Arcbound Ravager
Arcbound Hybrid
Arcbound Crusher
Arcbound Reclaimer
Arcbound Bruiser
Arcbound Fiend
Arcbound Lancer
Arcbound Overseer
Power Conduit
Throne of Geth
Contagion Clasp
Contagion Engine
Cathars' Crusade

Tokens: 5
Grave Titan
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Murder Investigation
Waylay
Minion Reflector

Removal: 12
Faceless Butcher
Duplicant
Massacre Wurm
Nihil Spellbomb
Swords to Plowshares
Tragic Slip
Sudden Death
Unmake
Wrath of God
Syphon Flesh
Phyrexian Rebirth
Merciless Eviction

Recursion: 14
Myr Retriever
Junk Diver
Scarecrone
Reveillark
Sun Titan
Victimize
Makeshift Mannequin
Faith's Reward
Unburial Rites
Beacon of Unrest
Obzedat's Aid
Necromancy
Cauldron of Souls
Grave Betrayal

Draw/Tutor: 8
Solemn Simulacrum
Disciple of Bolas
Enlightened Tutor
Expedition Map
Mycosynth Wellspring
Skullclamp
Phyrexian Arena
Underworld Connections

Other: 3
Vizkopa Guildmage
Shimmer Myr
Sculpting Steel

Everything I Ever Wanted: 1
Trading Post

Mana Bits: 40
Sol Ring
Gilded Lotus
Dreamstone Hedron
Orzhov Guildgate
Orzhov Basilica
Vivid Marsh
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Blinkmoth Nexus
Buried Ruin
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Spawning Pool
Vault of Whispers
Bojuka Bog
17 Plains
9 Swamps

Another awesome thing: Faceless Butcher + Minion Reflector! Pay 2 when the butcher comes into play and at the end of each turn to permanently exile a creature. Interrupt the exile trigger with your butcher token eating the real thing. Then get it back at the end of the turn and repeat every turn until you decide that paying for other things is more important. This also makes butcher more difficult to remove, what with it being exiled most of the time. Basically immune to sorceries if you can keep paying the 2.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Modular Vish Kal
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-05 5:23 am 

Things I like:

1) Modular + Vish Kal is hilarious, and I never would have thought of it on my own.

2) Modular + Cathar's Crusade is downright scary.

3) That Trading Post is in a category by itself titled "Everything I Ever Wanted"

4) The Butcher Reflector tech described at the end of the post.

Things I don't like:

1) Waylay and Muder Investigation? Okay, I actually LIKE both those cards in general, but I'm thinking there are better things, maybe. Like, I'd probably rather have Cloudgoat Ranger or Geist-Honored Monk, over Waylay, I'd think.

2) Does Power Counduit do enough? Seems way too slow and low-impact to be worth the time. It makes sense, thematically, but I feel like ever time I drew it late-ish game, I'd be like "Oh man, this was about the least useful thing I could have drawn there!"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-05 5:43 am 

I have to agree a lot with every thaumaturge. I've always had a soft spot for Modular, and this deck does make me want to build one.

Exchange Power Conduit for Energy Chamber? Seems like potentially a straight upgrade here. It'd be interesting to see Power Conduit be used in conjunction with Gideon, Champion of Justice.

There's a kinda 'good stuff' card you could add in Ajani Goldmane. To a lesser extent, Mikaeus, the Lunarch seems like it could be good.

Finally, when I was younger I played an artifact deck with a lot of Modular cards and Temper saw a TON of use against my friends. Oh, Earthquake me huh? How about I just make my guy stronger?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-05 6:09 am 

Heck yeah, Ajani Goldmane could get some serious work done in this deck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-05 8:29 am 

Murder investigation is very questionable here. I've only played it once, and I made the mistake of playing it on an opposing creature when most of my removal is -/- or exile. I'd rather not take it out without playing it a second time. I think I could get a lot from enchanting a modular creature or a sun titan.

I haven't managed to draw or play waylay yet, but I feel much better about it than murder investigation. For 3 mana, I get 3 2/2s for blocking, followed by saccing. I can block up to 3 dudes, then give vish kal 6 +1/+1 counters or dish out a -2/-2, -2/-2 and -2/-2 on whatever I like.

Power conduit is low-key, but it gets some work done. Enough to keep it. I can:
1) Move a counter from a modular creature to vish kal if I dont want/need to sac it.
2) Move a counter from vish kal to a modular creature I'm about to sac, which will profit me a counter for each modular creature in line (and another if it ends with a non-modular artifact creature).
3) Shift counters around in combat so more/important things live. Or outside combat against certain removal.
4) Put counters on my non-artifact creatures.
2 & 4 also let me lose fewer counters when using vish kal's ability. Sadly, energy chamber can't put counters on vish kal.

I didn't think about it since I don't have one, but ajani sounds really good here. I'll have to get one. Gideon, less so. I just don't like gideons. Especially when they exile everything.

Temper sounds cool, but I'm already trying to work in Swell of Courage. I can see me using +2/+2 more than damage prevention, and it doesn't rely on damage being dealt. That said, mikaeus would go in before that. He can pump everything. Or pump vish kal. Just...value. Better with power conduit, since I can play him at little cost, then move counters to fuel him. Whatever gets in will likely replace murder investigation.

Edit: I just realized you could also use the butcher and minion reflector to temporarily exile a creature to keep reusing it's EtB every turn.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 8:13 am 

Did you ever try running this more like an old Affinity deck?
Like with Disciple of the Vault and Cranial Plating and artifact mana?

Offline Profile