Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-17 7:21 am

Post subject: Diaochan's Wardrobe
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-03 9:40 am 

Here's the first second iteration of a Diaochan, Artful Beauty deck I've slapped together.

The first iteration was more chaotic and random. After having some very quality games (including, somehow, a couple of wins) I've decided to try and spruce it up a bit. I'm altering the focus to psuedo control while keeping some of the chaos and broad interaction. Basically I'm trying to make the deck better while still playing some cards that are there simply to be fun.

I'm still not trying to spend too much on it. Pricier cards that find their way into the deck tend to do so at the expense of other cards worth money.

The star of the show

Diaochan, Artful Beauty

Wardrobe

Lightning Greaves
Darksteel Plate
General's Kabuto
Whispersilk Cloak
Cloak and Dagger
Umbral Mantle
Shield of Kaldra
Sword of Fire and Ice (pretend it's, like, a parasol or something)
Sword of War and Peace (and this one's a walking stick)
Illusionist's Bracers
Akroma's Memorial (I don't think I have a theme explanation for this one. Statue in the bathroom? She's probably got a really sweet set up, right?)

Mana Base

Darksteel Ingot
Worn Powerstone
Sol Ring
Mind Stone
Fire Diamond
Heart of Ramos
Expedition Map
Coldsteel Heart
Foriysian Totem
Fellwar Stone

Mountainx32
Ghitu Encampment
Thespian's Stage
Kher Keep
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Forgotten Cave
Smoldering Crater

Draw things

Molten Psyche
Reforge the Soul
Dangerous Wager
Shattered Perception
Teferi's Puzzle Box
Wild Guess

Miscellaneous

Gamble
Brand
Goblin Welder
Boldwyr Intimidator
Incendiary Command
Reverberate
Ring of Three Wishes

Choke points

Smoke
Goblin Diplomats

Removal, I guess

Chaos Warp
Inferno
Wild Swing
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast

Other red legends

Squee, Goblin Nabob
Fumiko the Lowblood
Lu Bu, Master-at-Arms
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Eron the Relentless
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Urabrask the Hidden
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Lovisa Coldeyes
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Heartless Hidetsugu
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
Ashling the Pilgrim

Change places!

Thieves' Auction

Let's not play Magic for a couple minutes

Goblin Game

Desperation

Insurrection
Scrambleverse
Warp World

Last changed: 8/28
Lost a lot of cards, boo. Rebuilding.

Last edited by Onion Souffle on 2013-Aug-27 7:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Diaochan's Wardrobe
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-03 10:11 am 

Homeward Path is nice synergy with the vast majority of your deck.

Dangerous Wager seems to embody its name a bit too much.

Reiterate>Reverberate

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-03 10:43 am 

Homeward Path is exactly the kind of thing I'd been hoping to see here; I'd completely forgotten about that card. Consider it in.

Dangerous Wager could almost be filed under the "Desperation" tag. It's probably the low man in the card draw slot. I'll have to see what other categories need shoring up before I'd remove it, though. I'm not a fan of Incendiary Command and the remaining red draw effects are things like Goblin Lore and I don't have the build to support random discard like that.

Reverberate is in here because I owned it and not Reiterate. I might just take out Dangerous Wager for Reiterate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-03 10:54 am 

Onion Souffle wrote:
Homeward Path is exactly the kind of thing I'd been hoping to see here; I'd completely forgotten about that card. Consider it in.

Dangerous Wager could almost be filed under the "Desperation" tag. It's probably the low man in the card draw slot. I'll have to see what other categories need shoring up before I'd remove it, though. I'm not a fan of Incendiary Command and the remaining red draw effects are things like Goblin Lore and I don't have the build to support random discard like that.

Reverberate is in here because I owned it and not Reiterate. I might just take out Dangerous Wager for Reiterate.

I think a nice replacement for Wager could be Tibalt. I mean, what's more desparate than enlisting the help of a devil?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-03 11:11 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I think a nice replacement for Wager could be Tibalt. I mean, what's more desparate than enlisting the help of a devil?

Well, if I had a setup that could protect Tibalt until he ulted I'd be down with that in a heartbeat. But I doubt I'd be able to manage that with what I have going on here. So that leaves him as a draw engine. I don't have the recursion or flashback to recover what I'd lose. However, there's rarely anything I have in here that I'm afraid to lose. The only combos in here are very loose and the pieces can function independently.

Hmm...I think I'll try out Tibalt in my next few games and see what I can manage with him. A friend of mine favors an Azami, Lady of Scrolls deck so I'm also tempted with the prospect of an uncounterable, albeit sorcery speed, Sudden Impact.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-09 12:28 pm 

I like this deck a lot, I might have to steal it :-)

If you're looking for a decent way to protect yourself and tibalt try Glacial Crevasses a few mountains here or there (provided they're snow) is nothing especially if you can get your hands on a crucible of worlds.

I'd also think that Trash for Treasure would also have a decent spot somewhere in here, and if you can get a Spine of Ish Sah in there it can really help in dealing with a few of those pesky non critter permanents. Especially with the gobo welder, if you can find a place for him.

Have fun, good luck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-10 7:17 am 

Elysdeon wrote:
I like this deck a lot, I might have to steal it :-)

If you're looking for a decent way to protect yourself and tibalt try Glacial Crevasses a few mountains here or there (provided they're snow) is nothing especially if you can get your hands on a crucible of worlds.

I'd also think that Trash for Treasure would also have a decent spot somewhere in here, and if you can get a Spine of Ish Sah in there it can really help in dealing with a few of those pesky non critter permanents. Especially with the gobo welder, if you can find a place for him.

Have fun, good luck!

Thanks; I do and I hope so!

If I decide to buy up an Extraplanar Lens and snow mountains for the deck then Glacial Crevasses will be an auto-include. Sometimes I forget that red has a fog effect.

The welder's in there already (and is beautiful) but Trash For Treasure is down for a test. Considering how the games have gone to this point I anticipate it being worthwhile. I'll chuck in the Spine for a few games as well and see what happens.

I'm a little sad to take out a number of the chaotic elements but I was finding that they had minimal impact on the game. I had originally wanted Diaochan to be a kind of arbiter/mercenary captain/arms dealer but with minimal tutors and unreliable draws it was very difficult to find and chain the effects together in meaningful ways. Chaos Lord might come back, though; he's a mensch and almost never disappointing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-17 4:45 am 

I would like to thank everyone who's looked at the previous versions of this decklist for not openly laughing at me for not understanding how hexproof interacts with Diaochan. (the answer: it does so poorly)

Offline Profile