Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:07 pm

Post subject: Karador
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-11 11:48 am 

Alright, so this is my current decklist for Karador. I've changed this deck so many times from the original life gain deck (don't recall how I did it but it worked) to now a creature populate heavy deck with loads of mana ramping. I don't entirely play out of the grave too much except like to bring out some powerful things, or to keep using Acidic Slime for it's removal and deathtouch. But, there isn't really anything specific going with the deck besides creatures, counters, populate (slightly) and mana ramping. Some cards I don't have like Doubling Season and some of the considered "staples" but am waiting to get eventually. Unfortunately my monetary funds to put forward to my deck building is quite limited as well.

Commander: Karador, Ghost Chieftain

Creatures:
Ghoultree
Nighthowler
Reaper of the Wilds
Garruk's Packleader
Acidic Slime
Wayfaring Temple
Trostani's Summoner
Fleecemane Lion
Quirion Dryad
Desecration Demon
Karametra's Acolyte
Scourge of Skola Vale
Thragtusk
Courser of Kruphix
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Essence Warden
Deathrite Shaman
Corpsejack Menace
Disciple of Bolas
Sylvan Caryatid
Karametra, God of Harvests
Armada Wurm
Chronicler of Heroes
Nemesis of Mortals
Eidolon of Countless Battles
Woodborn Behemoth
Champion of Lambholt
Voice of Resurgence
Brutalizer Exarch
Reverent Hunter
Pharika's Mender

Enchantments:
Into the Wilds
Oath of the Ancient Wood
Vernal Bloom
Rites of Flourishing
Death's Presence
Mana Bloom
Primeval Bounty
Gaea's Touch
Growing Ranks
Collective Blessing
Deadbridge Chant
Verdant Haven
Eladamri's Vineyard

Sorceries:
Lay of the Land
Diabolic Tutor
Alive // Well
Courser's Accord
Thoughtseize
Ranger's Path
Boundless Realms
Genesis Wave
Jarad's Orders
Primal Surge
Farseek

Artifacts:
Ghoulcaller's Bell
Plague Boiler
Whip of Erebos
Sol Ring
Elixir of Immortality
Spear of Heliod

Instants:
Selesnya Charm
Momentous Fall
Ready // Willing
Defend the Hearth
Congregate
Dark Ritual
Hero's Downfall

Planeswalkers:
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Garruk Relentless

Lands:
7 Forests
5 Plains
4 Swamps
Orzhov Basilica
Sunpetal Grove
Temple Garden
Godless Shrine
Overgrown Tomb
Isolated Chapel
Woodland Cemetery
Temple of Silence
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Temple of the False God
Command Tower
Reliquary Tower
Opal Palace[card][/card]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karador
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-11 12:07 pm 

What's it supposed to do? The whole point of Karador is to play creatures out of your yard. I don't know about Doubling Season being a staple in a Karador deck, but you might want some sac outlets to help fuel your general coming out earlier... also some search/ discard effects would help speed that along. Like Buried Alive. Dredge mechanics also help with him.

Not sure if you are going for a specific theme instead of powering him out early and recursion (which I would assume is his baby)...

For this general, I would really, REALLY want to use Seedguide Ash, Burnished Hart, Dawntreader Elk, and Sakura-Tribe Elder for your ramp instead of the spells. You will be able to reuse them easier, plus they all help you get out Karador faster. Of course you should also use Solemn Simulacrum, as he ramps you and draws you a card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-11 1:20 pm 

Rasalom wrote:
For this general, I would really, REALLY want to use Seedguide Ash, Burnished Hart, Dawntreader Elk, and Sakura-Tribe Elder for your ramp instead of the spells. You will be able to reuse them easier, plus they all help you get out Karador faster. Of course you should also use Solemn Simulacrum, as he ramps you and draws you a card.

This.

Looking at your list, I'm guessing you haven't been playing for more than a year or so. Basically everything here is standard legal or just barely rotated out.

Some other good stuff;
Greater Good -> The ultimate in green-based card draw.
Life from the Loam + Barren Moor + Secluded Steppe + Tranquil Thicket -> These make a cute card draw/dredge engine, which will help fuel your general
Living Death -> Fill the yard, Reanimate the yard, Respect the yard.
Sun Titan -> Including stuff like Burnished Hart will make this guy silly.

You could probably stand to lose most of the Selesnya stuff. Also, Primal Surge doesn't seem good here - too many instants and sorceries. Or if you're really into the Selesnya, maybe drop the black and switch to Trostani or something. Regardless, Karador isn't very good if you're not using his ability - he's overcosted for his size and has no other effect on the board besides letting you abuse the graveyard for personal gain.

EDIT: In fact, looking at your list again, you might really consider going G/W. You've got very few black cards at all, and most I don't think you'd miss. Also, stuff like Thoughtseize is generally terribad in EDH. You're not going to get consistent value out of it, and it's an awful topdeck late, and it's going to hurt ONE of your likely THREE opponents... if you do stay black, lose thoughtsieze. If you don't play standard, you could trade it for good cards for your deck, since it's got some value.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-11 1:40 pm 

Was looking at your list again, and this deck would really benefit from persit/ undying to give you that extra bang for the buck when you recure a dude. Take a look at the stuff that's out there for these colors and see if you like anything.

You can also get some handy utility creatures that return an enchantment/ artifact when they ETB. The only thing you for sure need in this deck is some way to protect your GY from hate.

You could go with Survival of the Fittest + Ulamog, the Infinite Gyr or Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, so you can shuffle everything in at instant speed.. or a cheaper but less utility card would be Elixir of Immortality. Not saying that you couldn't do both.

Of couse then you can start stacking your yard with effects that work from your yard... like Brawn, Filth, Valor. Threshold is also fun with this type of deck as you usually have it...

Oh yea.. creatures that do cool things when they ETB/ LTB are awsome with him too... and in his colors I can think of a few right off the top... Angel of Despair, Wurmcoil Engine.. etc... super good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-17 6:14 am 

As others have said, Karador seems a little out of place as the general of this deck. Ghave, Guru of Spores might be a better fit for you in WBG, if you want to run those colors and don't feel like totally building around the general.

Here are some general tips to consider when building around Karador:
-Max your creature count as much as possible. Prioritize creatures over other spell types when possible. Stuff like Bone Shredder, Shriekmaw, and Bloodgift Demon.
-If there's a creature that does the same thing as a spell, for around the same cost, run the creature instead. There are a ton of land search/ramp creatures that are cheap and should be auto-includes. Wood Elves, Farhaven Elf, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Yavimaya Elder, Burnished Hart.
-Sacrifice outlets are important, since they put creatures back in your yard to be re-used. Birthing Pod, Greater Good, Attrition, and Perilous Forays jump to mind as cards that are fun in Karador.

If you want to run Karador, take a looks at the list in my sig for some idea. He's really not the best choice for a general in this color combo unless you build around him. My list is not really budget friendly (and it's a little out of date), but it can give you a basic idea of what a deck designed to abuse Karador can look like.

Offline Profile