Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:47 am

Post subject: Melek Dragonstorm! (with videos)
AgePosted: 2013-May-30 3:40 am 

Someone asked for a Melek deck using Dragonstorm, so here it is!

Commander
1 Melek, Izzet Paragon

Creatures (15)
1 Anger
1 Archaeomancer
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Hellkite Charger
1 Hellkite Igniter
1 Hellkite Tyrant
1 Hypersonic Dragon
1 Magus of the Future
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
1 Rorix Bladewing
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Utvara Hellkite

Artifacts (11)
1 Coalition Relic
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Grim Monolith
1 Izzet Signet
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Scroll Rack
1 Sol Ring
1 Thran Dynamo

Planeswalkers (2)
1 Jace Beleren
1 Tezzeret the Seeker

Enchantments (3)
1 Dragon Breath
1 Future Sight
1 Soothsaying

Instants (15)
1 Brainstorm
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Echoing Truth
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Frantic Search
1 Impulse
1 Mana Drain
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Pongify
1 Rapid Hybridization
1 Seething Song
1 Starstorm
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Turnabout
1 Twincast

Sorceries (16)
1 Call to Mind
1 Compulsive Research
1 Dragonstorm
1 Drain Power
1 Epic Experiment
1 Fabricate
1 Inner Fire
1 Mana Geyser
1 Mind's Desire
1 Personal Tutor
1 Ponder
1 Serum Visions
1 Spelltwine
1 Time Spiral
1 Time Warp
1 Vandalblast

Lands (37)
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Arid Mesa
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Cascade Bluffs
1 Command Tower
1 Coral Atoll
1 Dormant Volcano
1 Flooded Strand
1 Great Furnace
7 Island
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Seat of the Synod
7 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Spinerock Knoll
1 Steam Vents
1 Strip Mine
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Temple of the False God
1 Volcanic Island
1 Wooded Foothills

The deck runs Mind's Desire along with Dragonstorm to because it can get a pretty big storm count, and Desire can put dragons directly into play. One of the issues with the deck is that there are plenty of times where you can't kill the entire table right away. Time Warp helps with that.

Other times, you aren't going to be worried about making huge storm counts and instead you're just going to put dragons on the table and beat down. Fun times. The best dragons in the deck are Hellkite Igniter and Niv-Mizzet. Those are often the ones I go for first.

I admit that the deck could do better with Sensei's Divining Top. But I just hate that card.

How does the deck do in action? Check it out: http://puremtgo.com/articles/conqueror- ... et-paragon

Comments or questions? Let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Melek Dragonstorm! (with videos)
AgePosted: 2013-Jun-19 4:50 am 

I have a Malek deck built, but I have yet to actually test it.

My first thought when I saw your decklist was that you should be running more spells. However, after watching your videos (which were awesome, btw), I see that the deck does pretty well.

Now I'm thinking of taking a second look at my deck and maybe adding the artifact/tez group in to help ramp, and maybe the dragon package for giggles.

Good job!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-20 4:21 am 

Thanks! Honestly the deck would probably be better if it had less creatures and more spells, and became more of a storm variant. But I liked going the Dragonstorm route. It's unexpected and still effective, and I had a lot of fun doing it. You just have to realize that even with a decent number of dragons you usually can't take out the entire table at once. But you can come really close!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-24 5:02 am 

I took my version of the deck for a spin today... you're right, it's a blast to play and surprisingly powerful.

Some cards to ponder
- Keiga, the Tide Star (Malfegor just got a little less scary for me)
- Temporal Fissure (Bounce some problem permanents - nice if you hit it in an Experiment for 12)
- See Beyond and Telling Time (shuffling something back and controlling your top card, respectively)
- Mystic Retrieval (double Recursion; and with Runic Repetition ad infinitum... I would suggest it if there was more flashback in the deck.)
- Energy Tap - having Melek tap for {6} seems... helpful. Sadly you must actually tap the creature to get mana.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-24 6:45 am 

I ended up changing my Melek a little to be a little closer to your list. It ended up performing pretty well, until the last game. Because of the choices of the person piloting the deck, he Epic Experiment for 31 cards, which stormed into a Dragonstorm and Mind's Desire for 16..... which decked him.

One card I'll probably be adding to combat this, and an alternate win condition is Psychic Spiral.

Overall, he person seemed to really enjoy the deck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-24 7:49 pm 

archmagemc wrote:
I ended up changing my Melek a little to be a little closer to your list. It ended up performing pretty well, until the last game. Because of the choices of the person piloting the deck, he Epic Experiment for 31 cards, which stormed into a Dragonstorm and Mind's Desire for 16..... which decked him.

One card I'll probably be adding to combat this, and an alternate win condition is Psychic Spiral.

Overall, he person seemed to really enjoy the deck!

Reading cards is tech, I hear... if my library is already THIS much down, I'd opt not to cast that Mind's Desire.

Anyway, I like this deck so much, I think I'll be actually playing my foil Melek for it.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-25 5:46 am 

Awesome guys, glad it's doing well for you! It is really fun, that's for sure.

I'll be honest, I never really got close to decking myself when playing this deck. I did have Time Spiral in the deck to help get all my stuff back from my graveyard though, so hopefully that would help out.

My issue was not having enough dragons for the deck, and I'm pretty shocked I completely forgot about Keiga. She is really good. I think the lack of haste was an issue, but she shouldn't be overlooked.

Temporal Fissure is obviously great, I just couldn't find the room in my version. Plus, online I think it would just lead to a lot of concessions. It's definitely powerful though.

The other suggestions are great as well, and I had each of them (except for Energy Tap) in the deck at one point. I just messed with it a lot and forgot to put stuff back in, but they're all good options.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-25 4:01 pm 

Have you considered Increasing Vengeance? Basically, I've found it to be pretty tech in the ritual spam to reach Dragonstorm or a colossal Epic Experiment. Even with Seething Song, you can pay RR to get RRRRR, and then spend that RRRRR on Increasing Vengeance's Flashback cost, to copy Seething Song another two times for a total of fifteen red mana.

With some of the others, it only gets more crazy!

Also, have you thought about Firemind's Foresight? You can use it to go pretty far for the purposes of enabling Dragonstorm (i.e. you get Mystical Tutor, Twincast, Seething Song on EOT, and then Mystical during your upkeep to get Epic Experiment/Dragonstorm, and then cut loose during your next main phase).

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-26 3:30 pm 

Sinis wrote:
Have you considered Increasing Vengeance?

In my first draft of the list, I had a couple different spell doublers, including Fork, Reiterate and Increasing Vengeance. But I found that they were generally dead cards due to the fact that only about a third of my deck is instants and sorceries. So I ended up cutting most of them. I could see Increasing Vengeance having a spot though.

Sinis wrote:
Also, have you thought about Firemind's Foresight?

My only issue with Foresight is that it costs so much mana. You're right, it can set things up, but the cost is so high I thought it would be tough to use. I would probably go with Increasing Vengeance over this card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-01 2:32 am 

So, the version of this deck that I built had a pretty epic game this weekend.

Most of the game was based around stopping the Kaalia player from dominating, and the Bant player from getting too crazy. Then the epic turn happened...

Melek in play, upkeep Fact or Fiction off the top of the library, double Brainstorm, put Mana Geyser on top, cast it off top, cast Epic Experiment off the top for 20, hitting Dragonstorm, Psychic Spiral, and Fork. Cast all the other junk, then the Dragonstorm for 9, then psychic spiral. Used the Fork to copy the other Epic Experiment on the stack.

All in all, decked one player with the Spiral, Experimented for 20 three times, then took another turn to kill the other player with the dragons I stormed out.

Rawr!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-01 7:52 am 

That's pretty sweet! Like that you got a kill with Psychic Spiral too. You should post your list, I'm interested to see it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-01 10:23 am 

Here is the list I'm running. It's pretty similar to yours. Some of the notable exceptions are because I don't have the cards....

Enchantments
Soothsaying

Planeswalkers
Jace Beleren
Tezzeret the Seeker

Creatures - Non-Dragon
Archaeomancer
Anger
Trinket Mage

Creatures - Dragon
Balefire Dragon
Bogardan Hellkite
Hellkite Charger
Hellkite Igniter
Hellkite Tyrant
Hypersonic Dragon
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
Rorix Bladewing
Steel Hellkite
Thundermaw Hellkite

Artifacts
Chromatic Lantern
Gilded Lotus
Grim Monolith
Izzet Signet
Mana Crypt
Mind Stone
Oblivion Stone
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Voltaic Key
Worn Powerstone

Sorceries
Acquire
Compulsive Research
Dragonstorm
Drain Power
Epic Experiment
Fabricate
Inner Fire
Mana Geyser
Mind's Desire
Ponder
Preordain
Relearn
Spelltwine
Time Reversal
Time Warp
Vandalblast

Instants
Blustersquall
Brainstorm
Capsize
Chaos Warp
Cyclonic Rift
Echoing Truth
Evacuation
Fact or Fiction
Fork
Frantic Search
Mystical Tutor
Pongify
Prophetic Bolt
Psychic Spiral
Rapid Hybridization
Seething Song
Starstorm
Thirst For Knowledge

Lands
Ancient Tomb
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Forgotten Cave
Great Furnace
Islandx11
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Lonely Sandbar
Maze of Ith
Mountainx9
Mystifying Maze
Reliquary Tower
Seat of the Synod
Soldevi Excavations
Steam Vents
Strip Mine
Temple of the False God
Volcanic Island

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-02 2:43 am 

Looks really good. Thundermaw Hellkite definitely deserves to be in the list, I can't believe I forgot about that guy. Chaos Warp is another one that seems like it's really good, since it can deal with almost anything.

How do you like Voltaic Key so far? Primarily used for upping your mana?

I tried Prophetic Bolt, and found that it was pretty expensive in my deck, so it didn't make the cut.

I like Blustersquall. Is that a purely defensive card? I would figure that Thundermaw would deal with most of the blockers.

No Magus of the Future or Future Sight? Do you find that the top of your library gets full of stuff you can't cast with Melek out there?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-02 8:22 am 

Yes, Thundermaw Hellkite is awesome! Unfortunately, I don't have a Utvara Hellkite to put in the deck.

Voltaic Key is really good. With all of the artifacts that create 2+ mana, it helps you to accelerate. Plus, you can search for it with Trinket Mage and Tezzeret the Seeker. There are enough artifacts in the deck that it rarely sits idle.

Blustersquall is one of those conditional, multipurpose cards. You can use it defensively to stop an attack before it happens, you can use it to stop creature based combos, or you can use it offensively to tap everyone down before you attack. Redundancy can be good, never know what could happen to the Thundermaw.

I honestly couldn't find my Magus of the Future or Future Sight. There are times when you are stuck with something on the top you can't utilize, but there are enough cantrips and other cards that rearrange the top of your library that you can usually work around it. Top and Soothsaying really help here! If you play the Top correctly, you don't extend the game much at all. And in a deck like this, it's too good to pass up!

Edit to add:

I also don't play online. That makes it a lot easier to top/soothsaying during other people's turn without causing any delay.

Offline Profile