Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 10:03 am

Post subject: Wrath of the Forest (mono-green Omnath stomper deck)
AgePosted: 2013-May-24 8:08 am 

Wrath of the Forest (or "Skogens Vrede") is a mono-green commander deck with Omnath as the commander (at least most of the time). It has a heavy stomper theme and features a good deal of flying hate. It's a bit mana-heavy which can make it a slow beginner, but Omnath usually takes care of that. Any suggestions for further improvement would be highly appreciated!

GENERAL
Omnath, Locus of Mana
- Mana bank that often crush the opposition himself.

PLANEWALKERS (2)
Garruk, Primal Hunter - Card draw. Is it good enough?
Garruk Wildspeaker - Mana and overrun effect.
-> should Garruk, Caller of Beasts join the deck's planeswalkers?

CREATURES (35)
Acidic Slime - Non-creature permanent spot removal and death touch critter.
Ant Queen - Mana outlet if Omnath dies or opponents have too many blockers.
Avenger of Zendikar - Great stomper with lots of little helpers!
Bellowing Tanglewurm - Wurm that can suddenly open the defence.
Cloudthresher - Flash heavy stomper with reach. Like it!
Deadly Recluse - Cheap spider with deathtouch and reach. Good enough?
Dungrove Elder - Cheap hexproof treefolk that grows. Again, good enough?
Hermit Druid - Forestcollector.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa - Wrath response and overrun effect.
Magus of the Library - Card draw.
Matsu-Tribe Sniper - Air defence. But does it make deserve a spot?
Ohran Viper - Card draw and deathtouch. Good one.
Oracle of Mul Daya - Great mana acceleration.
Primordial Hydra - Fast growing heavy stomper with trample.
Regal Force - Card draw stomper. Good enough to stay?
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary - Great mana elf.
Scavenging Ooze - Effective graveyard eater.
Seedborn Muse - Great combo with Omnath!
Silklash Spider - Big spider with reach and air blast effect.
Skyshroud Ranger - Mana acceleration. Good enough though?
Soul of the Harvest - Big stomper with trample and card draw. Good enough?
Sylvan Primordial - Fantastic non-crit removal and forest collector!
Terastodon - Great for non-crit destruction!
Thornweald Archer - Another cheap reach and deathtouch critter.
Tornado Element - Stomper that blast flyers on entry.
Traproot Kami - Growing wall with reach.
Verdant Force - Saprolin tokens!
Vigor - Damage protection for own critters.
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger - Nasty mana twister.
Wall of Blossoms - Cheap wall & draw one.
Wall of Roots - Cheap wall with mana.
Woodfall Primus - Stomper with non-crit destroy entry effect and persist.
Worldspine Wurm - Biggest dickus.
Yavimaya Elder - Mana druid.
Yeva, Nature's Herald - Flash elf that gives your critters flash.

ARTIFACTS (9)
Duplicant - Exiler.
Extraplanar Lens - Mana acceleration for snow-covered forests.
Gauntlet of Power - Mana acceleration for forests.
Lightning Greaves - Shroud and haste.
Loxodon Warhammer - Lifelink and trample.
Mind's Eye - Card draw. Have problems using it though.
Sol Ring - Mana acceleration.
Swiftfoot Boots - Hexproof and haste.
Vedalken Orrery - Flash! Good for Omnath.
Whispersilk Cloak - Shroud and unblockable - Omnath in for the kill!

ENCHANTMENTS (3)
Asceticism - Hexproof and regenerate effect.
Defense of the Heart - Cheats in stompers.
Mana Reflection - Mana acceleration.

SORCERY (6)
Explosive Vegetation -> Switch with Skyshroud Claim at first opportunity!
Natural Order - Great green cheat.
Overwhelming Stampede - Going in for the kill!
Praetor's Counsel - Graveyard in hand. To expensive?
Ranger's Path -> Drop it!
Tooth and Nail - Nice, but expensive cheat.

INSTANTS (4)
Beast Within - Instant green non-crit remover.
Krosan Grip - Split-instant disenchant.
Momentous Fall - Good card draw and life combo with Omnath.
Squall Line - Instant Hurricane.

LANDS (39)
Gaea's Cradle - Good for mana, if you got critters on the table.
Reliquary Tower - No max handsize.
Winding Canyons - 2 mana for flash.
Snow-Covered Forest x36 - Use snow-covered for Extraplanar Lense.

Rubina, white-blue-green control deck

Last edited by Knitted_Cthulhu on 2013-Nov-14 8:09 am, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wrath of the Forest (mono-green Omnath stomper deck)
AgePosted: 2013-May-27 1:51 am 

WOW, Hall of Gemstone is a righteous pain in the butt. I totally forgot about that card.

This deck is okay, but it could stand to have a little more oomph. The unbanned colorless Eldrazi are the most obvious choices. Even Ulamog's Crusher is good enough if you're on a budget. In green, you've also got Krosan Cloudscraper, Panglacial Wurm, Gaea's Revenge and Moldgraf Monstrosity which are all mostly just vanilla beaters, but they will do a bit more than someone like Thornweald Archer or Yavimaya Enchantress (though I do like those cards, but not here.)

Any of the green Maguses (Magus of the Candelabra, Magus of the Library, Magus of the Vineyard) would fit in there. Similar to the Vineyard, Shizuko, Caller of Autumn would be a cool addition, but could backfire.

Caged Sun / Gauntlet of Power would also be pretty sweet here. Also, I'd use Krosan Grip over Naturalize if you're going to have it in a spell instead of a creature.

Triumph of the Hordes is super strong too, but be warned that your friends will hate you for playing it.

Quicksilver Amulet would be great in this deck too, since you've got so many expensive creatures.

I love atogs but Foratog is just weak. If he ever actually becomes threatening, he is going to be zapped and then you're out many, many lands. Budoka Gardener, Dawnstrider, Dosan the Falling Leaf, Gaea's Herald, Greenweaver Druid, Loaming Shaman, Lotus Cobra, Ohran Viper, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Scorned Villager, Scryb Ranger, Utopia Tree, and Werebear are all the same cost or less and are probably a better fit, and all do different useful things.

Otherwise, the deck looks to have a solid base, and should do well. Omnath is really strong, and can occasionally just win all by himself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-28 7:53 am 

I have an Omnath deck that gets stupid very quickly. Check in my sig for the list.

Suggestions (top ones that leap to mind):

Bellowing Tanglewurm
Fierce Empath
Sakiko, Mother of Summer
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Avoid Fate
Momentous Fall
Praetor's Counsel
Soul's Majesty
Emerald Medallion
Vorrac Battlehorns

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-08 3:22 pm 

Protection

Bear Umbra
Snake Umbra
Avoid Fate
Vines of Vastwood
Stonewood Invocation
Swiftfoot Boots

Considerable creatures

Avenger of Zendikar
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Magus of the Candelabra + Maze of Ith = stupid mana combo
Sylvan Primordial

Spells

Tooth and Nail
Eldrazi Conscription
Nature's Will
Doubling Cube
Squall Line
Greater Good

And take advantage of the colorless planewalker Karn Liberated
Instant spot removal or a threat is pretty hilarious coming from a Mono-Green deck.

And lastly..... Your playing MonoGreen....PLEASE PLAY RAMP SPELLS.

Cultivate , Rampant Growth, Kodama's Reach, Explosive Vegetation , Skyshroud Claim etc.etc.

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-08 3:50 pm 

Lose these cards:
Child of Gaea: Other cards do pretty much the same thing, but better.
Emperor Crocodile: Undercosted beaters with a drawback like him don't do too well in EDH. However, if you want to keep a creature like him, Hunted Troll or Stampeding Serrow/Stampeding Wildebeests work really well in a deck like this.
Foratog: Holy crud, there are far better cards than him. Don't waste your time with him.
Khalni Hydra: He's just dumb, undercosted fat with trample. Not really a great card to use. Primalcrux ALMOST fits the same description, but the fact that he just has so much fat kinda makes up for it.
Thragtusk: He just doesn't do enough to be worth keeping.
Traproot Kami: Far too weak. Walls don't see too much play in all EDH decks but Doran, and for good reason.
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger: In all honesty, Vorinclex is a phenomenal card. However, his presence will make people hate you. EDH is political after all.
Extraplanar Lens: I've never liked this card. It's a global effect and also costs you a land. I far prefer Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun, or even Vernal Bloom.
Primal Order: You say most of the deck is meta dependant. While I respect that, I still think Primal Order is pretty weak.
Naturalize: I'm not sure you should necessarily take it out, but you should definitely add in Krosan Grip. KGrip is arguably the best removal spell in all of EDH.

Some cards in my Omnath deck that would really help yours (and haven't been mentioned already):
Farhaven Elf, Ondu Giant, Wood Elves, Silverglade Elemental: Rampant Growth/Nature's Lore on a stick is never a bad thing.
Cloudthresher/Tornado Elemental: These are two awesome pet cards of mine, and they're really good at fighting fliers.
Duplicant: Prevents you from getting murdered by Blightsteel Colossus, Avacyn, and Ulamog.
Earthcraft: Synergizes with Omnath really well (actually, it's not in my deck anymore because it created too many infinite combos. However, if I happened upon one again, I'd probably put it back in and just play casually with it)
Spearbreaker Behemoth: Nice way to keep your monsters safe from harm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-22 9:04 am 

Magnetic North wrote:

That's a good advice, but I want the stompers to be Green, keeping with the forest "theme". The others were as you say a bit vanilla. [card]Yavimaya Enchantress
, Foratog and Triumph of the Hordes have been removed, but Thornweald Archer stays for the moment as my regular opponents play with lots of heavy flyers - angels, dragons, demons and whatnot.
Magus of the Library, Gauntlet of Power, Krosan Grip,
Ohran Viper, Sakura-Tribe Elder and Utopia Tree will all be on my next order.

The_Dr_B wrote:
I have an Omnath deck that gets stupid very quickly. Check in my sig for the list. Suggestions...

Praetor's Counsel has been added. Bellowing Tanglewurm, Sakiko, Mother of Summer, Spearbreaker Behemoth and Momentous Fall will be on my next order. Your Omnath deck looks great. I'll return to it later to get more ideas.

Kixar wrote:
Considerable...

I've added Doubling Cube again. Tried it before, but always got it out to early for it to be of much use. Ranger's Path have been added for ramp. Swiftfoot Boots, Avenger of Zendikar, Sylvan Primordial, Tooth and Nail and Squall Line will be on the next order. I'm avoiding infinite combinations in this particular deck, but I'll use Maze of Ith for it in another deck I have. Karn Liberated is a monster of a planeswalker, but just isn't "foresty" enough for the deck.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Lose these cards:

Removed most of them. Extraplanar Lens works very well in the deck as using snow-cowered forest only keeps it from going global. Wood Elves and Duplicant are added. Cloudthresher and Tornado Elemental will be ordered.

Thank you all for your great advice! I've updated the deck a bit with some new and old cards, but will be back when I get the new cards in a couple of months with more questions. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-22 8:09 pm 

Doubling Cube should be removed (too slow).

Defense of the Heart I'd remove: too slow, and too easily forgotten in a MP. Survival of the Fittest.

Praetor's Council has never impressed me. Not worth 8 mana slot IMO.

Unless you have the blue one, I'd dump [card]Hurricane[/card] for Squall Line: It's instant.

There are a lot of creatures I consider too weak in your deck, so I'll list some I think are worthwhile instead: Ant Queen, Brawn (fetch and discard: green can't find the equipment reliably enough), Genesis, Masked Admirers, Tajuru Preserver (lots of forced sac in my meta), Primordial Sage, Soul of the Harvest, Bellowing Tanglewurm, Seedborn Muse, Engulfing Slagwurm, the list goes on.

With a Dryad Arbor in the library, Green Sun's Zenith has something to fetch on turn 1. (It's also a forest). This deck really isn't about tokens, even with verdant force, so I'd have Gaea's cradle in a different deck with more focus on tokens(Heresy!).

Colorless Exile is a sad requirement these days for mono-coloured decks: Duplicant (which you have) should be supplemented with Karn Liberated, or at least Brittle Effigy

For more effective ramp, I'd also add Skyshroud Claim, and Explosive Vegetation

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-22 9:40 pm 

green slime wrote:
Doubling Cube should be removed (too slow).
Defense of the Heart I'd remove: too slow, and too easily forgotten in a MP. Survival of the Fittest.

Doubling Cube is slow and I have my doubts about it, but with a fat Omnath it should serve a purpose. I'll give it one more chance and then exchange it again if it doesn't impress me. Defense of the Heart has worked great for me to cheat in big fatties, so it'll stay. Fauna Shaman already does what Survival of the Fittest do, so do you think I need that one too?

Quote:
Praetor's Council has never impressed me. Not worth 8 mana slot IMO.
Unless you have the blue one, I'd dump [card]Hurricane[/card] for Squall Line: It's instant.

I don't currently have any good cards to exchange Praetor's Counsel with at the moment, but I'll consider it when the green shipment arrive. Hurricane will be replaced by Squall Line.

Quote:
There are a lot of creatures I consider too weak in your deck, so I'll list some I think are worthwhile instead: ...

Brawn I already have so I'll try to squeeze it in. Seedborn Muse will be back in when I find it (think it's in my mate's deck as he took control of it last time we played).
Genesis, Masked Admirers and Bellowing Tanglewurm was already on my list, but I've added Ant Queen, Tajuru Preserver, Soul of the Harvest and Engulfing Slagwurm to it.

Quote:
With a Dryad Arbor in the library, Green Sun's Zenith has something to fetch on turn 1. (It's also a forest).

Great idea!

Quote:
This deck really isn't about tokens, even with verdant force, so I'd have Gaea's cradle in a different deck with more focus on tokens(Heresy!).

Heresy!

Quote:
Colorless Exile is a sad requirement these days for mono-coloured decks: Duplicant (which you have) should be supplemented with Karn Liberated, or at least Brittle Effigy

Hmm... I don't like it, but I'll give Karn Liberated another consideration.

I think my biggest problem here will be choosing between all the good green cards once I get them. Will be back here for more help then! Thank you!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-23 8:24 pm 

There is no comparison between survival of the fittest and fauna shaman. In my mono green decks, I tend to have fauna shaman as a backup to sotf, should it be destroyed.

1) sotf does not suffer from summoning sickness.
2) It can be activated multiple times each turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-23 8:35 pm 

As an aside, in green, I consider any card that isn't a creature very, very carefully, and seek to find a "primary" goto creature replacement. Green can only get creatures with ease, and other answers are less readily available.

So I'd not have Mind's eye in a green deck. Instead, Masked Admirers, Cream of the Crop, Sylvan Library, Genesis, Momentous Fall, Primordial Sage, Soul Harvest, Call of the Wild, and Oracle of Mul Daya help fill that function.

Vedalken Orrery, however, is always worth the slot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jun-24 1:19 pm 

green slime wrote:
So I'd not have Mind's eye in a green deck.

Mind's Eye is OP in mono green decks... You play against someone playing blue and you will net so many cards.

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-11 6:53 am 

Wrath of the Forest have just gotten a big update!

Creatures:
Elvish Piper, Elvish Skysweeper, Fauna Shaman, Llanowar Elves, Primalcrux, Taunting Elf, Tempting Licid, Thragtusk, Viridian Zealot, Weatherseed Treefolk and Wood Elves have all been cut.
Replacements: Ant Queen, Avenger of Zendikar, Bellowing Tanglewurm, Cloudthresher, Magus of the Library, Matsu-Tribe Sniper, Ohran Viper, Seedborn Muse, Skyshroud Ranger, Soul of the Harvest, Sylvan Primordial, Tornado Element and Woodfall Primus.

Artifacts & Enchantments:
Basilisk Collar, Doubling Cube, Pattern of Rebirth, Rancor, Wild Pair and Hall of Gemstone was removed.

Sorcery:
Sylvan Scrying, Green Sun's Zenith and Hurricane was removed, while Explosive Vegetation and Tooth and Nail was added.

Instants:
Naturalize removed, Krosan Grip, Momentous Fall and Squall Line all added.

Lands:
Yavimaya Hollow and Strip Mine removed.

It's starting to work so well now that my those I play with now usually team up against me when we play, and I still win a significant amount of times. Now, I'd like to sharpen it further. Your advice have been priceless so far so please keep it coming! I'll get hold of Karn Liberated once it's back in stock at Coolstuff, but other than that, what would you recommend me adding or cutting? I'm not planning to go down the Eldrazi route, the angry forest theme must stay.

Offline Profile