Ancient Ziggurat
Mosswort Bridge
Grove of the Burnwillows
Spinerock Knoll
Haunted Fengraf
Evolving Wilds
11 x Forest
11 x Mountain

I'm going to put up the list of lands another time, but I now at the moment the count is at 37. I'm really looking forward to getting a good list for this guy. Previously had Livonya Silone on a dare, but I was sick of it and used pieces to make this. I really like the various creature token elements, and I'm putting this list up just after a quick game to get an initial feel. The 6 damage to the face without lifelink support really hurts, so I think it'll always be a quick game with this build (most likely just for me). The game ended fairly quickly against Trostani and a newly build Varolz, the Scar-Striped--Elemental Mastery on Ruric with Mana Echoes made Primordial Hyrdra with 43 counters.

I'm going to find another Basilisk Collar to put in here and maybe Hording Dragon. Also, Call of the Wild looks really cool with Cream of the Crop, but I'll probably drop the Call. That's all for now until I get the chance to play him again.

Last edited by Segrus on 2013-May-30 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ruric Thar
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-28 2:16 pm 

I had a long-ish reply, but the forum ate it while I was watching V for Vendetta. Blerg!

Have you had any problems yet with Ruric Thar charging into a pile of chumps and dying? The attacks each turn clause is kind of a bummer. If it's a problem, it might be worth running more ways to tap him down or run some creature-based damage preventions.

Also, it looks like Wraths will wreck this deck. Maybe a few more ways to rebuild: Creeping Renaissance, Kessig Cagebreakers, Grim Flowering?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-28 9:02 pm 

Try adding Hanweir Lancer and Spearbreaker Behemoth.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 1:22 am 

So far, I haven't had much trouble with Ruric Thar charging into creatures and dying. Then again (understanding I have yet had limited numbers of games with him), I have been lucky in successfully ramping him into play before other decks can make a significant showing with their own big creatures.

The majority of my current problem is just finding a focus for this deck. There's currently some Voltron aspects and some token aspects. Dragon Broodmother has been a house, usually single-handedly winning games in combination with Ivy Lane Denizen or Gruul Ragebeast. I would like to continue the token aspects, but I'm wary of building another deck that looks exactly like Thromok the Insatiable. My initial concern about making this deck Voltron though is then you run into hitting yourself in the face for 6 damage.

I'm thinking the token generation has to go. I think slightly more evasion, some more ramp, and see what it does. Once I find a Spearbreaker Behemoth I'll probably fit it in as additional protection. Out of the other recovery cards mentioned by Kemev, Creeping Renaissance is probably the only one I will run at this point. I'm giving high consideration to Fresh Meat.

Another angle I think I might try to utilize is tapping down Ruric to keep him from having to attack. Elemental Mastery, while still a token card, will probably stay in for this reason. I'll post my decklist updates once I scan back through my card collection.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 7:33 am 

Need a way to protect Ruric Thar and do other useful stuff too? Staff of Domination. The other staple-y cards are Maze of Ith, Earthcraft, and Arena (and Magus of the Arena). There's also the Icy Manipulator class of artifacts, which are always ok and never spectacular. There are a bunch of other effects that are less widely used though:

There are a few one-shot effects, like Deadshot or the conspire cards.

You could build warrior tribal with Cryptic Gateway.

Elder Druid is ok with elves, but might be mediocre here.

Onslaught!

If you were going to keep the tokens, I'd say Kyren Negotiations.

There are a few other auras that provide a tap ability (like Predatory Urge, Malicious Intent, or the "Tap: deal 1" auras), but they all require you to shoot yourself for 6. You're probably better off with equipment abilities. Sword of the Paruns, Heartseeker, and Surestrike Trident are respectable, and there are a bunch of others that are pretty bad.

Alternately, you could just focus on making Ruric Thar really beefy or unblockable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 7:42 am 

That list looks like it has way too many non-creature cards to be a Ruric Thar deck. Have you considered switching to another general and running Thar in the main?

I wouldn't want more than ten or so non-dude, non-land slots in my Thar list.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 7:48 am 

I'd been taking a look at the different possibilities for tapping him down to do something cool, and there's not a whole lot of spectacular things, as you've seen yourself. I think this deck is going to become a wacky combination of making Ruric beefy, forcing him to fight other creatures, attacking when the coast is clear, and then using Arena effects to supplement the Fight ability or keep him from running his face into something he can't handle.

I really believe Basilisk Collar is going to be a real winner in this deck. It'll keep me from caring about playing non-creature cards, gain me life from smacking other people for 6, and finally allows me to set up taking out a bunch of blockers at once (there's enough double strike/first strike granting abilities in Red/Green I should be fine (time to dig out Bloodmark Mentor)).

After I got disheartened about the amount of tap-down abilities, I began looking into possibly making playing creature spells more difficult (Feroz's Ban, for example). But this is probably going to be too difficult to do without 'gifting' people Grid Monitor. Oh well, worth a shot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 7:51 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
That list looks like it has way too many non-creature cards to be a Ruric Thar deck. Have you considered switching to another general and running Thar in the main?

I wouldn't want more than ten or so non-dude, non-land slots in my Thar list.

This list began as a "Oh look! That's a cool Red/Green/something card, let's throw that in and see what happens" and I'm working on whittling down the number of non-creature spells. Honestly, the games I've played so far have shown me either Ruric doesn't stay very long (someone takes 6 to the face for targeted removal) or I win through brute force. Then again, I haven't gotten to see a control or combo deck yet, so who knows what will happen then?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 8:08 am 

Hm. Just skimming your list, I would make the following changes:

Fervor -> Urabrask the Hidden
Ranger's Path -> Ondu Giant
Keen Sense -> Ohran Viper
Loxodon Warhammer -> Stampede Driver
Breath of Fury -> Hellkite Charger
Tribute to the Wild -> Wickerbough Elder

A few other creatures worth running:

Burning-Tree Shaman
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Viridian Emissary
Apocalypse Hydra
Dragonlair Spider
Borborygmos Enraged
Either on-color Guildmage
Rubblebelt Raiders
Tattermunge Witch
Zhur-Taa Druid
Wilderness Elemental, depending on your meta.

EDIT: Also, Decimate is a fantastic RG spell. I would run it even in a Thar list.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 9:20 am 

Thanks for the suggestions! My initial comments below:

Fervor -> Urabrask the Hidden->Already in a few decks of mine, I really want to stay away from him in a fourth (?) EDH deck if I can help it.
Ranger's Path -> Ondu Giant->Possible, but Solemn Simulacrum trumps the snot out of Ondu Giant.
Keen Sense -> Ohran Viper->Misses the point of having Keen Sense (enchanted on Ruric allows for non-targeted damage every time someone else plays a spell, which means free cards).
Loxodon Warhammer -> Stampede Driver->The point wasn't the trample, which can easily be gotten in a ton of different green creatures, but the lifelink. Still, this little guy will probably be on the 'possible' list if I can find one in my collection.
Breath of Fury -> Hellkite Charger->Definite maybe, although Breath was in the deck to be abused by hordes of tokens.
Tribute to the Wild -> Wickerbough Elder->Again, possible, but instead I'll probably keep both in to double-up on these effects.

A few other creatures worth running:

Burning-Tree Shaman->Hmm...I keep wanting this guy, so we'll see.
Sakura-Tribe Elder->I keep pulling one out for the deck and then choosing to put something else in instead. I'm going to see if I can't find a place again.
Viridian Emissary->I'm not certain I can make his effect trigger reliably enough to have him in the deck.
Apocalypse Hydra->This ones on the short list if I can find one. I'm just afraid I don't want a second of this kind of creature since Primordial Hydra usually out-performs with just a single hit.
Dragonlair Spider->I'm leaning away from tokens now, and it's starting to get harder to find these awesome cards.
Borborygmos Enraged->He was high on my list to put into this deck, but I kept him out originally because he was taking up a spot I wanted for tokens. I'm probably going to put him back in now.
Either on-color Guildmage
Rubblebelt Raiders->Won't be as strong without the tokens to pump up fast.
Tattermunge Witch->I'm going to have to see how many redundant trample sources I want in this deck before I add the witch.
Zhur-Taa Druid->Had him on the list originally, but I felt the damage would be marginal. On the other hand...Keen Sense...okay, he's back in.
Wilderness Elemental->It'll be too risky to play this one, since no sort of actual meta exists at this point. Any game I get is highly random.
Decimate->I keep meaning to find one of these at the store, but never end up getting around to it. If I find one, I'll consider a spot for it.

Last edited by Segrus on 2013-Apr-29 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 9:26 am 

Segrus wrote:
Burning-Tree Shaman->Such a short burst of speed in mana can be replicated more steadily by elf creatures. I did take it out as a possible for the above original list.

BTS does a point of damage to someone any time they activate a non-mana ability. You're thinking of Burning-Tree Emissary.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 9:27 am 

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Segrus wrote:
Burning-Tree Shaman->Such a short burst of speed in mana can be replicated more steadily by elf creatures. I did take it out as a possible for the above original list.

BTS does a point of damage to someone any time they activate a non-mana ability. You're thinking of Burning-Tree Emissary.

Yah, I changed it after I realized my mistake. Sorry about that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-29 9:34 am 

A couple other things, then:

Garruk's Packleader
Heartwood Storyteller

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-30 2:00 pm 

Current list updates:
-Nullmage Advocate
-Furystoke Giant
-Ranger's Path
-Verdant Force
-Dragon Broodmother
-Death's Presence
-Mana Echoes
-Utvara Hellkite
-Breath of Fury
-Beastmaster Ascension
-Druids' Repository
-Marton Stromgald
-Stigma Lasher
-Dwarven Miner
-Call of the Wild
-Whispersilk Cloak
-Reap and Sow

+Ulvenwald Tracker
+Infiltration Lens
+Llanowar Elves
+Bloodmark Mentor
+Vorrac Battlehorns
+Fierce Empath
+Zhur-Taa Druid
+Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
+Diviner's Wand
+Domri Rade
+Snake Umbra
+Wickerbough Elder
+Solemn Simulacrum
+Roaring Primadox
+Bramblecrush
+Garruk's Packleader
+Wolfir Silverheart

I'm less than certain about Diviner's Wand, but it's a weird solution to keeping Ruris above the competition while allowing me to dump mana into it for cards. I think I may also be looking for more spots for Roaring Primadox effects--I originally had pulled out a few extra of them, but didn't want to make the deck too much about ETB effects. Finally, I'm updating the OP with lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-May-02 3:52 am 

How about Pathbreaker Wurm? Also, another favorite wurm of mine, Engulfing Slagwurm. He could help recoup a lost of the life you may lose from casting non-creature spells.

Offline Profile