Lands: (40)
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Mishra's Factory
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
34 x Plains
Reliquary Tower
Sejiri Steppe
Thespian's Stage

This deck has a lot of strange combinations of cards. By combining damage control/prevention, life gain, and token generation, this deck can lock a multitude of opponents out of the game long enough until I can steal the game away. It isn't a sure-fire way of winning, but the straight prison deck isn't where I want to go with this deck. Straight token generation isn't this deck's direction either. It gets boring rather quickly. Life gain, on it's own, isn't a great strategy and therefore not how I want to build this deck.

Combine the three, and something starts coming out of the woodwork. Playtesting should help me determine if this deck is still worth keeping around, or if it's time to scrap the project.

Last edited by Segrus on 2014-Aug-13 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-11 5:53 am 

I agree that Jitte, Jareth, and Trisket are out of place here. I'd also add Farsight Mask and Stuffy Doll to the chopping block, since they nonbo with your general. And your non-general legends are pretty good, so I'd be tempted to cut Arena of Ancients too.

If you want this to be a hardcore, defensive turtle deck, you might want more equipment like General's Kabuto, Magebane Armor, Darksteel Plate, or Shield of Kaldra, and try to combo them with cards like Palisade Giant or Pariah's Shield.

General's Regalia might be handy too (although I've never seen anyone play it).

If you want to win with tokens, you need more tokens! Increasing Devotion is criminally underplayed, and Martial Coup and Decree of Justice are standard issue good cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-11 8:00 am 

Kemev wrote:
I agree that Jitte, Jareth, and Trisket are out of place here. I'd also add Farsight Mask and Stuffy Doll to the chopping block, since they nonbo with your general. And your non-general legends are pretty good, so I'd be tempted to cut Arena of Ancients too.

If you want this to be a hardcore, defensive turtle deck, you might want more equipment like General's Kabuto, Magebane Armor, Darksteel Plate, or Shield of Kaldra, and try to combo them with cards like Palisade Giant or Pariah's Shield.

General's Regalia might be handy too (although I've never seen anyone play it).

If you want to win with tokens, you need more tokens! Increasing Devotion is criminally underplayed, and Martial Coup and Decree of Justice are standard issue good cards.

I'll have to think about cutting the Arena, because other than Jareth there is only Cho, Mikaeus, and Akroma, and without a way to guarantee getting them out I'll really never need to worry about three cards out of 99. And are you certain about the Farsight Mask? While it keeps my creatures safe, it never actually keeps me safe unless I can block. With tokens being one of the main win conditions (at the moment) and the current generators being non-flying, I'll be fairly open to evasion techniques. I suppose, though, it's only a rattlesnake card and I should find a real source of card draw for the deck.

Most of the token generators you've mentioned are actually in other decks at the moment (mostly my wife's Trostani deck), so I'll have to see if I have multiples. Also, interesting catch for General's Regalia, I'll have to find one and see what happens.

One thing I'm curious about, at the moment, is the amount of enchantments in here. Perhaps I should find a Sigil of the Empty Throne and up the enchantment count a little bit (Spirit Loop isn't a terrible card, and might find a slot)?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-11 8:55 am 

Segrus wrote:
And are you certain about the Farsight Mask?

Definitely almost probably certain. Between your angels, your damage prevention, and opponents playing around the effect, it looks unlikely to net many cards. If you're not sure, play a few games with it and see.

If you're really worried about flyers, try adding more birds and angels or angels to make birds (Emeria Angel!). You need more beaters anyway. You could also add in a couple flyers with "can block any number of creatures" like Guardian of the Gateless, and then hook them up with one of your super shield equipments.

Segrus wrote:
One thing I'm curious about, at the moment, is the amount of enchantments in here. Perhaps I should find a Sigil of the Empty Throne and up the enchantment count a little bit (Spirit Loop isn't a terrible card, and might find a slot)?

Meh. 15-18 enchantments might sound like a lot, but it's still low for Sigil purposes. (Enchantress decks in Legacy that make it work are usually about 33% enchantment.)

Maybe Moonsilver Spear instead.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-11 1:01 pm 

I'm going to try testing out the deck here in the next few days and see if I can't find more problem areas where I can improve.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 2:34 pm 

Updated this list after setting it aside for quite a long time.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the newest Ajani cards, mostly because they're not entirely cheap. I've also started leaving the prison strategy which was the original strategy of the deck. I'm interested to see this deck perform as is.

Offline Profile