Terramorphic Expanse
Twilight Mire
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Verdant Catacombs
Volrath's Stronghold
Woodland Cemetery
Swamp x9
Forest x9

(If you're wondering why there isn't a Bayou listed, it's because I'm still trying to find one.)

Strategy:

Graveyards, graveyards, graveyards. One of my favorite things to do with a Magic deck is to turn my graveyard into an extension of my hand, and in my opinion, the two colors that do that best are black and green. Enter Jarad, a near-perfect marriage of black and green, and you have the ingredients for a lot of fun and frustration for your opponent.

Some cards in here are no-brainers for any BG graveyard deck. Deadwood Treefolk, Eternal Witness, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Reanimate, Grimoire of the Dead, and Oversold Cemetery are some of the most efficient ways to bring creatures back from the dead. The deck also runs a suite of dredge cards to fill your graveyard up nice and full, from Shambling Shell and Stinkweed Imp to the insanely powerful Golgari Grave-Troll and the amazing land engine Life from the Loam. Crucible of Worlds can also help to dig out key lands that have ended up in my graveyard. Butcher of Malakir and Grave Pact make my sacrifice engines that much more painful for my opponent, and there are a lot of sacrifice engines in this deck. Greater Good and Disciple of Bolas (as well as Grim Backwoods to a lesser extent) get me more cards at the measly cost of one of my creatures, while Birthing Pod can chain me up from my lower mana cost creatures to fatties like Avatar of Woe or Woodfall Primus.

Some of the deck's biggest strengths, I feel, are its amazing interactions. Speaking of the Primus, him + Mikaeus the Unhallowed + a sacrifice outlet means that my opponent's nonland permanents are going to be very, very sad. In fact, any creature in the deck combined with Big Mike and a sac outlet make me smile. Fauna Shaman and Genesis means that I can find any creature I need for the situation at hand. And while it may not be a "combo," I always feel like I've accomplished something when I have both Harvester of Souls and Soul of the Harvest on the field at the same time (and they're not a bad pair to have with Birthing Pod either).

This deck has a large amount of ways to win, several of which revolve around its potential for infinite mana with the classic Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth + Deserted Temple combo. If I can't figure out a way to win with infinite mana, I'm definitely doing it wrong. Diabolic Revelation? Go get whatever I need. Jarad himself? Sac all of my guys to drain everyone's life. Kokusho, the Evening Star? Let's have some fun with sacrificing! If need be, I can just pound my opponents with good old-fashioned damage while taking care of potential threats with an ample supply of removal at the ready. Jarad can also make good use of his ability to simultaneously drain all of my opponents in tandem with cards such as Mossbridge Troll and Vulturous Zombie.

One of the main problems this deck can run up against is graveyard hate. While it does weaken the deck's effectiveness, I'm not just going to scoop to a Leyline of the Void or a recurring Nihil Spellbomb. I feel like this deck has enough resilience and tutoring to overcome that sort of problem; it just means that I need to shift my strategy away from dredge and reanimation into a more streamlined approach of "get beaters, smash face." Make big or evasive guys, hit my opponents with them, then sacrifice them to Jarad for maximum value.

Well, that's the deck! It's great fun to play if you like turning your graveyard into a second hand. Please let me know what you think of it, and have fun out there in the Multiverse!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
AgePosted: 2013-Apr-04 7:30 am 

I'm not really sure what this deck does...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-04 7:47 pm 

Obvious troll is obvious.

Anyway, have you considered Nim Deathmantle and Death render?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-05 12:02 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Obvious troll is obvious.

Anyway, have you considered Nim Deathmantle and Death render?

Not trolling. It just seems like it tries to do too much... If it's a sac deck then it has little sac outlets. If it's a dredge deck then it has too little dredge cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-05 12:08 am 

The commander is a sac outlet...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-05 12:42 am 

I'm not sure Shambling Shell does enough. Also, Phyrexian Reclamation>Oversold Cemetary

Cauldron of Souls is evil with Jarad, especially with Dark Mike on the field.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 7:30 am 

Hey! I also run Jarad. Here's my list!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-edh-09-12-13-1/

Our lists are pretty different. One big difference is that I run a lot more combo-oriented build with a Reanimator engine; I haven't won by just beating face in awhile. I think my deck is faster than yours, but yours is more resilient. I suggest you play more removal. Beast within, Krosan Grip, Malestrom Pulse are all great for removing those pesty Tormond's Crypts and stopping opposing combos.

What's your meta like?

Regards.

Check out my Jarad, Graveyard Combo Primer!

Offline Profile