Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 10:08 pm

Post subject: Talrand Drake Cantrip
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-20 1:22 am 

So, basically sometime shortly after seeing Talrand, Sky Summoner I thought, hey, "Card name - Instant. U: put a 2/2 drake token with flying into play. Draw a card." is really, really awesome. So, that was the thought process behind this deck.

How my deck works? First off. my hand needs to start with some equipment to protect Talrand with. Someone will consistently try to off Talrand the first turn he's out. (Incidentally, I need a Neurok Stealthsuit.)

Second, I need mana. First few turns I play a land each turn, and usually a bounce spell at some point.

Once I untap with Talrand it's pretty much a draw go deck. Use counter spells conservatively since I don't have an unlimited amount of them.

At some point, I will need to find Coat of Arms. Muddle the Mixture can find Merchant Scroll which can find Mystical Tutor which can find Fabricate. Sure that's long and convoluted, but if I get a 2/2 flying drake each time, it's not so bad. Long-Term Plans is also a great search spell. Works amazing with Ponder, Preordain and Brainstorm.

Win con is pretty much coat of arms + drakes. This deck isn't very competitive, since tucking Talrand pretty much ruins the whole deck. The deck needs to be played in a very specific manner to make it work. But hey, I love the deck. It's awesome and it's mine.

Fun fact: 32 instants, 31 lands in the deck. More instants then lands. The deck has a low land count but only really needs 4 lands in play to function.

Creatures:
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Snapcaster Mage
Guile
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Spellskite
Silver Myr
Adaptive Automaton
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth <- mostly a graveyard shuffle...

Instant speed cantrip (or more):
Mental Note
Whispers of the Muse
Opt
Quicken
Thought Scour
Shadow Rift
Brainstorm
Visions of Beyond
Peek

Other instant speed draw:
Blue Sun's Zenith

Sorcery speed draw:
Mind's Aglow
Preordain
Gitaxian Probe
Serum Visions
Ponder

Bounce spells:
Into the Roil
Boomerang
Disperse
Cyclonic Rift
Echoing Truth
Vapor Snag
Repulse <- technically cantrips too, but more of a bounce then cantrip
Capsize

Counterspells:
Counterspell <- this one goes without saying
Force of Will
Foil
Stoic Rebuttal
Faerie Trickery
Rewind
Hinder
Spell Crumple
Turn Aside <- bad spell, mostly for saving Talrand.
Cancel
Mindbreak Trap
Dissipate

Search Spells:
Merchant Scroll
Mystical Tutor
Fabricate
Long-Term Plans
Muddle the Mixture <- Yes, technically a counterspell, but it's primary purpose is as a search spell.

Other Instants and Sorceries:
Gather Specimens
High Tide
Arm with Æther
Sleep
Temporal Master

Artifacts
Sol Ring
Armilary Sphere
Wayfarer's Bauble
Isochron Scepter <- of course
Coat of Arms <- the primary wincon
Runechanter's Pike
Caged Sun

Artifacts - equipment
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Champion's Helm
Mask of Avacyn
Whispersilk Cloak
Darksteel Plate

Enchantments:
Favorable Winds
Gravitational Shift
Leyline of Anticipation <- awesome till somebody kills it

Lands:
Reliquary Tower
Boseju, Who Shelters All
Lonely Sandbar
Halimar Depths
Island x27

Last edited by sir squab on 2013-Mar-20 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Talrand Drake Cantrip
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-20 7:15 am 

It does kind of suck that the deck crumbles without Talrand. It also looks like some of the cantrips in the deck don't really do anything (Obsessive Search) or are expensive to use effectively (Whispers of the Muse). You might be able to help both problems by adding more dig/filter cards instead of low-impact cantrips, since you'd have a better chance of finding Talrand (or a finisher if you already have Talrand). There are a ton of good filter effects available:

Impulse (after Brainstorm, best cantrip ever!)
Frantic Search
Mental Note (there are a few other variations of this card)
Careful Consideration
Thirst for Knowledge
Advice from the Fae
See Beyond
Treasure Hunt
Words of Wisdom
Sift through Sands
Telling Time
Thieves' Fortune

Truth or Tale and Peer through Depths are pretty good at digging too, but they're not as useful for finding Talrand, since you can't discard him back to the general zone.

A few repeatable shuffle cards can help the filters find Talrand. Thawing Glaciers would be a good place to start (and does other handy stuff for this deck).

You might also want some cantripping counterspells. Remand or Cryptic Command would be ideal, but they're getting pricey; Arcane Denial and Confound might be up your alley though. Also, since most players don't play around "Counter unless you pay N" spells in EDH, Disrupt or Sage's Dowsing could be really strong (worst case scenario, they just cycle).

Your best alt-win is probably Inkmoth Nexus with Runechanter's Pike.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-20 9:03 am 

Inkmoth Nexus, Thawing Glaciers, Mental Note, Frantic Search, Confound, Sage's Dousing all seem awesome :)

Also want Time Stop.

Lastly, put in Force of Will in place of Negate. Been a while since I played EDH and I acquired Force of Will since the last time I played.

Lastly, put in Peek and Mental Note in, taking out Obsessive Search and Stream of Unconsciousness.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-20 9:47 am 

Journeyer's Kite for teh manas. It's amazing how often people forget this card exists. Yeah sure it may not put the land into play and be a bit slow, but hitting all your land drops in a 31 land deck is not to be sniffed at. I use it in my mono red EDH (the other mono colour with mana issues) and can testify to it's effectiveness.

Also more turn 2 man rocks might be a plan, as an earlier Talrand is good here methinks. Mind Stone, Sky Diamond and Sapphire Medallion all help out here.

Nahiri, the Lithomancer equipment soldier tribal
Isperia the Inscrutable flying tribal
Experiment Kraj fun with activated abilities voltron
Kresh the Bloodbraided cares about death
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter b/w tokens
Sedris, the Traitor King ambush reanimator
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest Jeskai instant & sorcery tribal

"Trapped in safety is still trapped."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-20 10:50 am 

I like abusing buyback and flashback spells in my Talrand deck. The last time I played it I won with Arcane Melee + Mystic Speculation with Talrand out. U: Make a drake, stack your deck is hard to deal with.

I have Sapphire Medallion, Arcane Melee, Gauntlet of Power and Caged Sun to get mana to abuse Capsize, Whispers of the Muse, Mystic Speculation or Clockspinning. Think Twice, Flash of Insight, Deep Analysis and Fervent Denial are all strong cards that can flash back for more drakes. Spelltwine is an awesome spell most of the time, especially when it gives you three drakes. Another fun one is playing Call to Mind and Relearn on one another, making a drake each time.

Cryptic Command if you can get it.

Also, Blatant Thievery is nuts, especially if you can somehow play it more than once.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-01 4:02 am 

needs Grand Architect.

Should replace Kozilek with Time Spiral for graveyard shuffle.

Have you considered Eldrazi Monument or Akroma's Memorial? Or more extra turn spells like Time Warp?

Tamiyo seems like a good fit.

Where's your graveyard hate? Scrabbling Claws and Phyrexian Furnace both cantrip.

You lack removal, try Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, All is Dust, and Oblivion Stone.

Tap creature stuff: Opposition, Shared Discovery, Tradewind Rider, Ghastly Discovery.

Deserted Temple is good with Thawing Glaciers.

Lands need work. Try Maze of Ith, Riptide Labratory, City of Shadows, Tolaria West, Thespian's Stage, Vesuva, Academy Ruins, Cephalid Coliseum, Faerie Conclave, Mutavault, Strip Mine, and Winding Canyons.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile