Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-21 8:12 pm

Post subject: Savra's Circle of Life
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-19 4:23 am 

I have been looking to create a good black/green commander deck for a while now.
My first instinct was to go with Glissa as a commander and create an Artifact commander deck. I read Glissa wrong and had many effects in the deck that sacrificed my creatures so I could get my artifacts back. By the time I realized that my opponents creatures had to die, I had already built the deck.

Since then I had been looking for a new commander for my new commander deck. My first thought went to Jarad, but after considering it a bit, I realized that Jarad is to easy to abuse and not really fun. Just last week I traded Savra with someone, and here I had the perfect commander for my deck. After stripping the deck of most of it's artifacts, and replacing them with more sacrifice effects the following deck was created.

// Commander
1 Savra, Queen of the Golgari

// 36 Lands
1 Evolving Wilds
11 Forest
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Rupture Spire
17 Swamp
1 Tainted Wood
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Transguild Promenade

// 5 Artifacts
1 Culling Dais
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Golgari Signet
1 Horizon Spellbomb
1 Nihil Spellbomb

// 9 Sorceries
1 Buried Alive
1 Cultivate
1 Death Mutation
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Rain of Thorns
1 Reap and Sow
1 Rise from the Grave
1 Victimize
1 Vigor Mortis

// 2 Instants
1 Entomb
1 Harrow

// 8 Enchantments
1 Death's Presence
1 Feed the Pack
1 Fertile Ground
1 Grave Betrayal
1 Grave Pact
1 Infernal Tribute
1 Perilous Forays
1 Phyrexian Reclamation

// 2 Planeswalkers
1 Sorin Markov
1 Vraska the Unseen

// 37 Creatures
1 Acidic Slime
1 Blood Artist
1 Bloodflow Connoisseur
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Boneyard Wurm
1 Butcher of Malakir
1 Cadaver Imp
1 Copper Myr
1 Corpse Traders
1 Doomgape
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Eternal Witness
1 Gleancrawler
1 Glissa, the Traitor
1 Gobbling Ooze
1 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Golgari Rotwurm
1 Golgari Thug
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Korozda Guildmage
1 Leaden Myr
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Mycoloth
1 Phyrexian Broodlings
1 Plagued Rusalka
1 Quagmire Druid
1 Reassembling Skeleton
1 Sadistic Hypnotist
1 Shambling Shell
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Slum Reaper
1 Splinterfright
1 Thoughtpicker Witch
1 Viridian Emissary
1 Woodland Sleuth
1 Yavimaya Elder

The idea of the deck is to play my commander and then sacrifice my own creatures to force my opponents to sacrifice theirs. With cards like Blood Artist, Grave Pact and Butcher of Malakir I inflict even more pain when I sacrifice one of my creatures, with Blood Artist I can even sacrifice black creatures without having to pay life for Savra's effect.

This tactic works quite well. Except that I have noticed that as the game progresses that I'm staying behind. For example when I was testing this deck against my other two decks (My Maelstrom Wanderer and Rith deck, also posted on this site). I was quite successful in keeping the board clean by continually sacrificing my Shambling Shell and Reassembling Skeleton (the Skeleton to Phyrexian Broodlings). At one point I was completely tapped out after my turn and Maelstrom Wanderer cascaded straight into Molten Primordial and Deadeye Navigator. With that combo he managed to steal my only untapped creatures and proceeded to attack into my +1ed Vraska the Unseen I had played the previous turn. The only thing I could do was watch helplessly as my creatures and Vraska died.

After that it was basically game over. Granted, DEN + Molten Primordial is a strong combo, but I found I just could not get back from that. In some other games I found that when my Maelstrom Wanderer deck managed to get it's big creatures in, that I'm pretty much doomed.
I'm looking for ways to make sure this deck has more staying power, so that I can stand against some battle-cruisers.

Note that I won't buy any cards that cost more then 5 euro. I know some cards in here are more expensive then that, but they are either traded, or come from sealed products.

Maelstrom Wanderer's Treasure Trove
Ranks of Rith
Savra's Circle of Life

Last edited by luukjn on 2013-Mar-29 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Savra's Circle of Life
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-19 3:33 pm 

I have a Savra deck that I've been using for quite some time. I love playing the deck, she's absolutely a blast to play, and a challenge to play against, BUT... and it's a big but.

The thing to know about her is she is particularly weak against decks that don't rely on creatures. Additionally, in general, Savra decks tend to be heavily centered around her--which makes her a target because everyone at the table knows that if they take out Savra, they won't have anything to worry about from you until Gravepact comes out. Which gives them all the time in the world to prepare for it.

First thing I learned is that you can go one of two ways with Savra, you can either create tokens and sac them--or you can pack your deck with critters and sac them. I went the token route personally, mostly because in my meta we're often racing and I wanted/needed to pack my deck with as much mana ramp and card draw as i could.

Tokens also allowed me to put recurssion on the back burner (used largely to recur wincons instead of sac fodder) so that got a bit more use out of things like Sadistic Hypnotist and Jarad.

I like a lot of what your deck is doing, sac outlets are decent and there's a lot of them, but if I had to guess--you're finding yourself doing okay early game, but by mid game when you start to run into bigger threats you're having a bit of difficulty. Is keeping up with the guy who ramped like crazy and now putting out several creatures a turn and swinging for fat damage a problem? I'm guessing that you're usually able to deal with a critter or two with savra, but if they swing with anymore you're struggling. How much damage are you doing during your turns?

I like to be able to point to a few things in my deck and say this card/s will win me this game, the others will keep me alive. You certainly have a few bombs in here and that's great, but i don't know about you, but i seem to lose bombs like sorin reeeeallly quickly. And i usually want to be able to get a bit more value out of my wincons.

First things first, I've found that 40 land in any 2 color deck seems to be a bit much. You could probably drop it down to 37 or 36 and fit in a few more threats. With so many lands that produce both green and black mana you can usually afford to cheat a bit. I run 35 in mine and typically don't have too much of an issue. My CIPT lands are crazy slow, but my meta is a bit slower so--

Here's what i'm usually doing in my deck--I've been dumping some time and cash into this deck, but it shouldn't be too rough, and you can probably find some cheaper alternatives for some of the more expensive cards.

Token Generation
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Bitterblossom
Grave Titan
Creakwood Liege
Sengir Autocrat
Night Soil
Avenger of Zendikar
Golgari Germination
Mycoloth
Ogre Slumlord
Mitotic Slime

Sac outlets The thing about sac outlets i've found is that they are SOOO much better if you don't have to tap them. I can't stress that enough--alters, use any you can get your hands on.
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Doomgape
Ashnod's Altar
Phyrexian Altar
Flesh-Eater Imp
phyrexian tower
high market
Infernal Tribute
Grim Backwoods
Sadistic Hypnotist
Xathrid Demon
Fallen Angel

Board control/spot and mass Removal
Grave Pact
Savra, Queen of the Golgari--obviously
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Acidic Slime
Genesis Wave Duh
Putrify
Beast Within (instant speed removal for desperate times)
Krosan Grip
Life's Finale expensive, but it's a nice combo breaker for many decks
Killing Wave Best board wipe in our decks, it's unbelievable.
Living Death
Butcher of Malakir
woodfall primus
Black Sun's Zenith (board wipe--anti token)
Kagemaro, First to Suffer anti token card, fling target, board wipe (Great card)

Card Draw
Skullclamp
Skullmulcher Fatty I like to fling
Sylvan Library
Phyrexian Arena
Scroll Rack
Mind's Eye
Well of Lost Dreams very nice with savra's ability to gain life, this let's you draw as well
Harvester of Souls
Necropotence
Momentous Fall

Mana Help
Sol Ring
Yavimaya Elder great synergy with Savra, if i had a tribe elder she'd be in here too.
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Oracle of Mul Daya
Golgari Signet
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus
Azusa, Lost but Seeking

Recurssion
Eternal Witness
Regrowth
Disturbed Burial
Soul Exchange (i like your victimize much better)
Genesis key to winning
Animate Dead
Volrath's Stronghold
Glissa, the Traitor I don't use the artifact recurssion much, but it's nice to know it's there---and first strike deathtouch is handy.

Tutors
Demonic Tutor
Survival of the Fittest it doesn't last long but usually gets a vital creature.
Cord of Calling because tooth and nail is in another deck
Sylvan Scrying tutor for Phyrexian tower

Odds and ends
Lightning Greaves Just a must have
Deathrite Shaman Graveyard hate/bit-o-ramp
Bojuka Bog Graveyard hate
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed sac 'em once, sac 'em twice, and woodfall mass removal win
Grim Feast
Sanguine Bond combo with grim feast for a not too duschy version of the sanguine/exquisit infinite
Rite of Consumption Great for a killing stroke
Profane Command too good not to use

Lands that aren't really really important
9 Snow-Covered Forest
9 Snow-Covered Swamp
Maze of Ith bit-o-defense
Gilt-Leaf Palace fixing
Temple of the False God double mana staple
Undiscovered Paradise fixing
Llanowar Wastes Fixing
Golgari Rot Farm fixing/double mana
Golgari Guildgate fixing
Tranquil Thicket card draw
Reliquary Tower Staple card
Command Tower Staple card
Slippery Karst Card draw
Barren Moor card Draw
Polluted Mire card Draw
Thespian Stage Great card for getting rid of legendary lands, and utility

More or less, that's my deck. We have a lot of the same stuff and ideas. Generally, i don't tutor much because, well--there's blue in my meta. SOOOO much of our decks need to rely on versatility. We need to be able to get multiple uses out of every card if possible. Some are just good edh staples.

THe game plan for me is to control the board in terms of critters, swing whenever possible with some of my fatter creatures--and wait for Jarad (or tutor him up). Jarad flings fatties for the win, Skullmulcher gets fat, Kagamaro gets fat, Mycoloth gets fat, Fallen Angel gets Fat, Flesh-eater Imp (well doesn't get too fat, but infect is nice). Sheoldred and Genesis are great for getting these guys back.

The last thing I'll say is that I learned the hard way how important it is to be able to sac both green and black tokens. You should be able to sac at will, which means that you're going to be losing a lot of life--you'll need a way to gain some of that back. I know life in edh is not always a prime concern, but savra gives us the ability to keep our life up throughout the game which can make it much easier to do our thing.

Hope that helps. That is--if you needed it.
Ely

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-19 8:07 pm 

Luukjn, you need actual wincons otherwise all you're doing is not losing. Look at Grave Betrayal for instance, that seems thematic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-29 7:18 pm 

Thanks for all the tips. I have played some more with this deck, and it is a lot of fun.
Now I have made some changes which are as of yet untested:

Out:
Skarrg Goliath
5 Forest
3 Swamp
Corpse Blockade

In:
Mycoloth
Golgari Thug
Feed the Pack
Grave Betrayal
Entomb
Golgari Guildgate
Golgari Rot Farm
Overgrown Tomb
Tainted Wood
Buried Alive

I have added some tutors in the form of Buried Alive and Entomb. And some more recursion in the form of Golgari Thug. (combo? Buried Alive, search for Golgari Thug, Eternal Witness + big creature = semi infinite graveyard recursion?)

Additinaolly I have added Grave Betrayal, it fits the theme perfectly (thanks for that one Shabbaman)

Further I have altered the mana base in the form of some dual lands, thus enabling me to remove some forests and swamps. Tough I'm not positive my mana base is big enough, but I'll see how that plays.

Maelstrom Wanderer's Treasure Trove
Ranks of Rith
Savra's Circle of Life

Offline Profile