Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 9:40 pm

Post subject: Maelstrom Wanderer's Treasure Trove
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-19 3:32 am 

I have been playing around and slowly improving this deck over time. I will still be switching around cards as I see fit.

Without further ado, here is the list.

// Commander
1 Maelstrom Wanderer

// 40 Lands
1 Command Tower
18 Forest
1 Fungal Reaches
1 Gruul Turf
5 Island
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Kazandu Refuge
7 Mountain
1 Rupture Spire
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Vivid Crag
1 Vivid Creek
1 Vivid Grove

// 12 Sorceries
1 Acquire
1 Collective Voyage
1 Cultivate
1 Disaster Radius
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Frenzied Tilling
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Mass Mutiny
1 Rain of Thorns
1 Rivals' Duel
1 Unexpected Results
1 Vengeful Rebirth

// 1 Enchantment
1 Sunken Hope

// 1 Instant
1 Harrow

// 2 Planeswalkers
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 4 Artifacts
1 Gruul Signet
1 Izzet Signet
1 Simic Signet
1 Sol Ring

// 39 Creatures
1 Acidic Slime
1 Animar, Soul of Elements
1 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Avatar of Fury
1 Bellowing Tanglewurm
1 Brutalizer Exarch
1 Budoka Gardener
1 Deadeye Navigator
1 Deadwood Treefolk
1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
1 Elvish Aberration
1 Engulfing Slagwurm
1 Etherium-Horn Sorcerer
1 Faultgrinder
1 Fierce Empath
1 Giant Adephage
1 Godtracker of Jund
1 Hydra Omnivore
1 Intet, the Dreamer
1 Krosan Tusker
1 Magma Giant
1 Magmatic Force
1 Magus of the Vineyard
1 Moldgraf Monstrosity
1 Molten Primordial
1 Mycoloth
1 Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 Plated Slagwurm
1 Riku of Two Reflections
1 Sages of the Anima
1 Somberwald Sage
1 Soul of the Harvest
1 Spitebellows
1 Thicket Elemental
1 Trolls of Tel-Jilad
1 Veteran Explorer
1 Worldspine Wurm
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 AEthersnipe

The strategy for this deck is very straightforward, start by ramping till you can cast Maelstrom Wanderer. From there it usually explodes.

With the exception of Artisan of Kozilek, Pathrazer of Ulamog, Worldspine Wurm, Avatar of Fury and Magmatic Force and of course my commander all spells cost 7 mana or less. This means that Maelstrom Wanderer can hit any of the remaining 35 spells. If I hit ramp, I will look for a way to sacrifice or bring Maelstrom Wanderer back to my hand and try again, which is made easier by the extra mana I cascaded into. If I hit any of the other creatures, I will attack big and usually take a big chunk out of someones life total, or even kill of a player or two.

There isn't really a spell in the deck I would not want to cascade into. tough cascading into Vengeful Rebirth or Deadwood Treefolk without a graveyard can be akward. The spells in my deck that cost 8 or more are in my opinion so strong that I don't need to cascade into them. And usually with the mana I have available, it is not far fetched for me to hard cast them.

I find that the deck either fails hard, or it dominates the board and manages to win on the premise that my creatures are usually bigger then what the opposition has out.

I usually play this deck at my local LGS. Either with or without its commander. I have found the deck functions very well in standard multiplayer games. Especially at my LSG were there is usually one very busted deck on the table (mox proxies etc.), this deck mostly tends to come in second to those decks. I mostly don't draw hate early since in the early turns the deck does nothing. It is only when I hit 7+ mana that it tends to do some wacky stuff.

The problem I have with the deck is that it doesn't really have a theme except for 'That card is good, it can go in this deck'.

I'm wondering the following:
If I showed up with this deck at your playgroup/LSG, how would you or your playgroup react to it?
Any tips on improving the deck are always welcome. If you suggest improvements, note that I won't buy any cards that are more expensive then 5 euro. Yes I know I have a Jace, the Mind Sculptor in there, but I swear I found that one in a booster pack, the same counts for any other expensive cards that might be in the deck.

Maelstrom Wanderer's Treasure Trove
Ranks of Rith
Savra's Circle of Life

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Maelstrom Wanderer's Treasure Trove
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-19 3:04 pm 

luukjn wrote:
The problem I have with the deck is that it doesn't really have a theme except for 'That card is good, it can go in this deck'.

Maelstrom Wanderer doesn't seem like it lends itself well to theme decks. "Cast spells" isn't much of a mechanical build around, and if you wanted elemental tribal, you'd probably be playing Animar or Horde of Notions. My friend used to play MW all the time but got bored with it. I'd like to try tinkering with his deck, but I'm not sure what the fix is.

luukjn wrote:
If I showed up with this deck at your playgroup/LSG, how would you or your playgroup react to it?

"Meh." Since my group's played it a bunch, I don't think anyone would give it much thought. It's not doing anything antisocial, but it's not really doing anything new or different either. I think the other decks you've posted are more interesting.

Offline Profile