Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 11:50 am

Post subject: Progenitus--Parade Floats
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-06 10:22 am 

Five-color "Parade Floats" deck. The basic idea is big/big creatures thrown onto the battlefield on the cheap. At the moment...I think it's a little too 'good' stuff. Any good suggestions which won't make the deck too weak? Maybe find some large creatures who group hug?

Commander: Progenitus

Creatures:

Aurelia, the Warleader
Blood Tyrant
Borborygmos Enraged
Bringer of the Black Dawn
Diluvian Primordial
Dragonlair Spider
Elvish Piper
Empyrial Archangel
Eternal Witness
Giant Adephage
Godsire
Lord of the Void
Luminate Primordial
Molten Primordial
Prime Speaker Zegana
Sepulchral Primordial
Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Sylvan Primordial
Terastodon
Tyrant of Discord
Utvara Hellkite
Woodfall Primus
Worldspine Wurm

Planeswalkers:

Domri Rade

Artifacts:

Amulet of Vigor
Chromatic Lantern
Dolmen Gate
Prophetic Prism
Quicksilver Amulet

Enchantments:

Burgeoning
City of Solitude
Guild Feud
Heartbeat of Spring
Lurking Predators
Mana Flare
Mana Reflection
Oath of Druids
Omniscience
Snake Umbra
Wild Pair

Instants:

Boros Charm
Faith's Reward
Flash
Krosan Grip
Lure of Prey
Mystical Tutor
Signal the Clans
Summoning Trap
Worldly Tutor

Sorceries:

Farseek
Hypergenesis
Skyshroud Claim
Stolen Identity
Summer Bloom
Twilight's Call
Unburial Rites
Unexpected Results
Urban Evolution
Warp World

Lands:

Arcane Sanctum
Bad River
Blood Crypt
Breeding Pool
City of Brass
Command Tower
Crumbling Necropolis
Drowned Catacomb
Exotic Orchard
Flood Plain
Gemstone Mine
Glacial Fortress
Grasslands
Hallowed Fountain
Haunted Fengraf
Hinterland Harbor
Homeward Path
Jungle Shrine
Misty Rainforest
Mosswort Bridge
Mountain Valley
Overgrown Tomb
Rocky Tar Pit
Rootbound Crag
Sacred Foundry
Savage Lands
Savannah
Seaside Citadel
Steam Vents
Stomping Ground
Sulfur Falls
Sunpetal Grove
Temple Garden
Tendo Ice Bridge
Undiscovered Paradise
Vivid Grove
Watery Grave
Windbrisk Heights
Woodland Cemetery

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Progenitus--Parade Floats
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 3:09 am 

I would say it needs more card draw.
I have had pretty good luck with Harvester of Souls and Soul of the Harvest. They are both fairly large creatures. Bringer of the Blue Dawn is fun too.
There are tons of other options tho since you have all 5 colors.

I've never had any luck with Summer Bloom. I never had it and more than 1 land in hand so it's not very reliable.
And I just don't see Warp World working out very well in this deck, I really only see it being awesome when you have tokens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 3:27 am 

WhiteWeasel112 wrote:
I would say it needs more card draw.
I have had pretty good luck with Harvester of Souls and Soul of the Harvest. They are both fairly large creatures. Bringer of the Blue Dawn is fun too.
There are tons of other options tho since you have all 5 colors.

I've never had any luck with Summer Bloom. I never had it and more than 1 land in hand so it's not very reliable.
And I just don't see Warp World working out very well in this deck, I really only see it being awesome when you have tokens.

I'm working on getting another Bringer or two, somehow I don't have any of the others at the moment...

I've gotten burned by Summer Bloom a few times, but in general it's been okay. I think it's just the pleasure I get in seeing my opponents despair whenever I have five land on the second turn. Of course this means I barely have anything else in my hand...you're right, it probably needs to be another creature, preferably one dealing with land search. Silverglade Elemental?

Warp World is always going to be hit or miss, and I'm okay with that. I'm not trying to make this deck so competitive that I lose sight of having fun. Sometimes I'll get what I got the first time I played this deck: Bringer of the Black Dawn, Utvara Hellkite, Worldspine Wurm, Diluvian Primordial, and Borborygmos Enraged. Token generation is being handled by Dragonlair Spider, because I'm trying to stay away from Craterhoof + Avenger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 4:05 am 

Segrus wrote:
I'm working on getting another Bringer or two, somehow I don't have any of the others at the moment....

I used to play all 5. Blue and Black are deffinatly good. I played a lot of artifacts so white was good.
Red was sometimes good. Green usually made a token and then died. Kinda underwhelming.

Segrus wrote:
I've gotten burned by Summer Bloom a few times, but in general it's been okay. I think it's just the pleasure I get in seeing my opponents despair whenever I have five land on the second turn. Of course this means I barely have anything else in my hand...you're right, it probably needs to be another creature, preferably one dealing with land search. Silverglade Elemental?

If only there were a large green creature that could fecth land when it came into play...maybe even two land...and give him a large body like a 6/6 Trampler...then make him broken by fetching any land....yes...and then make him fetch land on the attack too!!!! :o

Lol but in all seriousness Wood Elves is like Silverglade Elemental but cheeper. Smaller body but I dunno if that matters to you. Oracle of Mul Daya is always good.
Or you could go the ramp spell route. Skyshroud Claim or Urban Evolution (Science!).

Segrus wrote:
Warp World is always going to be hit or miss, and I'm okay with that. I'm not trying to make this deck so competitive that I lose sight of having fun. Sometimes I'll get what I got the first time I played this deck: Bringer of the Black Dawn, Utvara Hellkite, Worldspine Wurm, Diluvian Primordial, and Borborygmos Enraged. Token generation is being handled by Dragonlair Spider, because I'm trying to stay away from Craterhoof + Avenger.

Don't get me wrong I love me some Warp World. I find it fun too. I just kinda thought if you were going to have enough permanents that you would want to cast it you would already have a few large creatures out so you would just be taking a chance just to hit different large creatures. Does that make sence?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 4:37 am 

WhiteWeasel112 wrote:
If only there were a large green creature that could fecth land when it came into play...maybe even two land...and give him a large body like a 6/6 Trampler...then make him broken by fetching any land....yes...and then make him fetch land on the attack too!!!! :o

Lol but in all seriousness Wood Elves is like Silverglade Elemental but cheeper. Smaller body but I dunno if that matters to you. Oracle of Mul Daya is always good.
Or you could go the ramp spell route. Skyshroud Claim or Urban Evolution (Science!).

I really want the spot to remain creature ramp. I'll just have to play it a few times and see how it turns out.

WhiteWeasel112 wrote:
Don't get me wrong I love me some Warp World. I find it fun too. I just kinda thought if you were going to have enough permanents that you would want to cast it you would already have a few large creatures out so you would just be taking a chance just to hit different large creatures. Does that make sence?

It makes sense. I tried to find a spot for the classic Verdant Force, but I really wanted to try out a lot of the new Ravnican creatures before I took one of them out for Verdant Force. In the end, Warp World is just one card in the deck and I'm not going to consistently tutoring and building up just for its effect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-24 12:51 am 

Played this deck last night against a decent Thromok deck and someone playing an updated version of their Thraximundar deck. It turned out pretty good: I was suddenly far behind because I had used Bringer of the Black Dawn and Oath of Druids to search up Utvara Hellkite (which I thought meant I would be getting to beat down other players), and suddenly Thromok appeared as a 100/100 and Thraxi made five copies of my Hellkite via Rite of Replication. Crap.

Well, I had one choice: Warp World and hope for the best (despite having only 15 permanents, Thromok had 16, and Thrax had 17). Thromok got nothing good (got his Craterhoof wasted) and Thrax managed to land Sheoldred, Whispering One. On the other hand, I hit the jackpot: Sylvan Primordial, Sepulchral Primordial, Molten Primordial, Bringer of the Black Dawn (luck, I guess?), Mana Reflection, and more than enough land. I ended up stealing a creature producer from Thromok so I would have something to sac next turn for Sheodred. Both of them pass without doing much of anything.

On my turn, I searched up Zegana and then cast Omniscience due to the doubled mana. I already had Terastodon in my hand, so I drew 10 cards with Zegana. All hell broke loose and I won with a ridiculous amount of fatties which no one had answers for.

Honestly, while Omniscience was incredibly powerful here, I'm actually more concerned about the Oath-Bringer combo being too good. Once I realized it was there (I threw a bunch of cards together and didn't think about it at the time), it's too easy to just search up these cards just so I can set up the very best draws every turn. I'm going to play the deck a couple more times before I decide whether to take one-half of the combo out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-02 1:35 am 

So I had some inspiration on what to do with this deck. The whole 'good stuff' angle is good, and it hasn't been so ridiculously powerful that it has no competition. I've had fun; however, I really want to get the theme this deck should really have: parade floats. I really want this deck to be overhauled to feel more like huge, big creatures as parade floats. It started with finding a Mercadian Lift among one of the LGS 25/50 cent boxes, so my idea for this deck is simple: find cards which portray the parade float idea while the creatures in the deck reflect actual, real-life parade floats. My initial thought is to take the list of floats from last year's Macy's Day Parade. According to some website I can't remember any longer, the following floats were as follows:

Buzz Lightyear
Charlie Brown
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
The Elf on the Shelf (I keep thinking of Prime Speaker Zegana, but they have very little correlations)
Hello Kitty (Jedit Ojanen, Phantom Nishoba, Sabertooth Nishoba, Spirit of the Heart?)
Julius (Gargantuan Gorilla, Ancient Silverback?)
Kermit the Frog
Kung Fu Panda
Papa Smurf
Pikachu
Pillsbury Doughboy (I'd really think there's got to be some big, fat Orzhov card to go here, but Maw of the Obzedat and Deathbringer Liege don't see like quite enough; maybe Treasury Thrull?)
Ronald McDonald
Sailor Mickey
Sonic the Hedgehog
Spider-Man
SpongeBob SquarePants

Now, I thought I'd come up with a list initially before I posted on here, but man alive I've been having major mental blocks for creativity with this thing. Also, some of these balloon floats are going to be really rough finding something not only creative, but also relevant. I want to get deep in theme here, but not so deep that I end up having a miserable time playing because I'm bringing a toy, foam sword to a gun fight. Any brilliant ideas?

EDIT: Parade floats or balloon floats--these are very closely related in my mind, so it's really just parade "stuff" ideas in general that I'm after.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-02 6:54 am 

Awesome, floats as cards. If you really grow to like it you could get them altered too. It is hard tho with such iconic characters. Here are my first instinct, I'll put more thought into it tho and try to fill in some suggestions for the blanks.

Buzz Lightyear
Charlie Brown
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
The Elf on the Shelf
Hello Kitty- I like Spirit of the Heart here
Julius -Gargantuan Gorilla, Ancient Silverback I guess either one...
Kermit the Frog- I think Prime Speaker Zegana fits better here but still doesn't seem perfect
Kung Fu Panda
Papa Smurf
Pikachu- Kamahl, Pit Fighter is fast and can attack directly with a "lightning bolt" which is probably as close as you would get...
Pillsbury Doughboy- I like Hamletback Goliath here, Treasury Thrull does look like it could be in a parade tho...
Ronald McDonald
Sailor Mickey- for some reason I just think of Ramirez DePietro
Sonic the Hedgehog - has to be something fast so that means haste. Only thing faster than haste is Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug lol. But that is an Uncard and doesn't feel like a big float.
Spider-Man - Arachnus Spinner is the only spider I can think of with an actual web- Arachnus Web, Silklash Spider seems to fit too if you don't have too many fliers
SpongeBob SquarePants

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-02 6:59 am 

WhiteWeasel112 wrote:
Kung Fu Panda

I was just thinking hmm fighting bear....Hey! "Fight Bear!" Ulvenwald Tracker
It's small but it came to mind.
I'll keep thinking.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-05 12:40 am 

Thank you very much for the response, Whiteweasel. It's helped give me some ideas.

Buzz Lightyear - All I can think of at the moment for this slot is either Crovax, Ascendant Hero or Gerrard Capashen.
Charlie Brown
Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Boldwyr Intimidator: I honestly don't know anything about Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but it looked like it might be fitting or at least ironic.
The Elf on the Shelf
Hello Kitty - Spirit of the Hearth: I really wish this could be a more proactive/defensive card, because Spirit is so easy to kill and barely impacts the board...maybe Jareth, Leonine Titan still works? Grr...
Julius - Gargantuan Gorilla, Ancient Silverback
Kermit the Frog - Prime Speaker Zegana
Kung Fu Panda
Papa Smurf - Barrin, Master Wizard: not a big creature, but I'm beginning to realize I'm not going to be able to make this deck have big creatures pretty much--except for whatever "other" cards I put into the deck.
Pikachu - Elderwood Scion? I know the card isn't technically "electric," but it does have this nice 'don't touch me' kind of thing going for it...I think Thunderblust might be acceptable though.
Pillsbury Doughboy - Hamletback Goliath: this card does seem to fit the bill here.
Ronald McDonald - although Hamletback Goliath would work here very nicely; hrm...Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter?
Sailor Mickey- Ramirez DePietro
Sonic the Hedgehog - Kamahl, Pit Fighter: I believe this works better here than for Pikachu, although it's very close to both of them.
Spider-Man - Dragonlair Spider: seems like a valid fit without having to replace every creature in my deck.
SpongeBob SquarePants

Other 'parade' creatures/cards:
Treasury Thrull

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 7:49 am 

It's been so long since I've messed with this deck, but after playing it last night it's become obvious it needs help. Lots of help. As you can see above, I had been meaning to try getting back on theme with this deck, but without any real prospect of a game I stopped even looking at it. I'm so far removed from the deck list, I'm going to just repost it in this one, and attempt to make changes.

Commander:
Progenitus

Creatures: 27
Ashen Rider
Blood Tyrant
Colossal Whale
Dragonlair Spider
Elvish Piper
Eternal Witness
Giant Adephage
Godsire
Lord of the Void
Luminate Primordial
Medomai the Ageless
Molten Primordial
Myojin of Life's Web
Necropolis Regent
Reya Dawnbringer
Sepulchral Primordial
Somberwald Sage
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Sun Titan
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
Treasury Thrull
Tyrant of Discord
Utvara Hellkite
Wonder
Woodfall Primus
Worldspine Wurm

Enchantments: 8
Assemble the Legion
Burgeoning
Deadbridge Chant
Guild Feud
Heartless Summoning
Lurking Predators
Mana Reflection
Wild Pair

Artifacts: 6
Amulet of Vigor
Chromatic Lantern
Dolmen Gate
Fellwar Stone
Otherworldly Atlas
Urza's Filter

Instants: 7
Faith's Reward
Flash
Krosan Grip
Mnemonic Nexus
Momentous Fall
Mystical Tutor
Sphinx's Revelation

Sorceries: 14
Animal Magnetism
Farseek
Genesis Wave
Immortal Servitude
Skyshroud Claim
Spoils of Victory
Stolen Identity
Supreme Verdict
Summoning Trap
Swan Song
Twilight's Call
Unexpected Results
Wild Ricochet
Worldly Tutor

Lands: 37
Arcane Sanctum
Bad River
Blood Crypt
Breeding Pool
Command Tower
City of Brass
Clifftop Retreat
Crumbling Necropolis
Drowned Catacombs
Exotic Orchard
Flood Plain
Glacial Fortress
Godless Shrine
Grasslands
Hallowed Fountain
Haunted Fengraf
Hinterland Harbor
Homeward Path
Jungle Shrine
Misty Rainforest
Mosswort Bridge
Mountain Valley
Opal Palace
Overgrown Tomb
Rocky Tar Pit
Rootbound Crag
Sacred Foundry
Savage Lands
Seaside Citadel
Steam Vents
Stomping Ground
Sulfur Falls
Sunpetal Grove
Temple Garden
Thespian's Stage
Vivid Grove
Watery Grave

This is the current decklist. Yes, there's...no basic land. It's a crime somewhere, I'm sure of it. It's also kinda nice and risky-feeling. So I think I'll replace only a couple of them with probably Forests or something so I can still make green in case some smart alec runs Blood Moon. My next step is to bump Lurking Predators for Mercadian Lift (once I find the blasted card again, stupid move messing up card locations and grr...). I think Havoc Festival might do well with the theme, but I don't think it would do very well in the deck.

I think my plan with this deck is going to move away from actually trying to correlate cards with Macy's Day Parade floats. It just doesn't seem like it would work very well, and makes me feel like the deck is taking a wrong direction. So, I'd really like to ask YOU--anyone out there caring enough to still read about this ridiculous deck--to give me suggestions about big, huge, ginormous creatures you'd like to see as a float. No, seriously, if you could run the Magic the Gathering EDH Parade, what would you make as a float? I'm going to post this idea to the Random Chatter forum and see if I don't have any luck there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 8:20 am 

Hi! After seeing this in action and your list, I'd say you need more creatures for cards like Lurking Predators and Animal Magnetism. And certainly some more ramp.

You may want to take a look at my Child of Alara deck (http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15942). I know it's a different strategy, but IMO some cards would do you well. For example, I often semi-joke that Wood Elves is the best card of that deck and I'm very surprised you don't play it. You may also consider playing one of each basic land and a toolkit of Sakura-Tribe Elder and Solemn Simulacrum. In our game, it took you very long to actually do something relevant - a problem I came across with the Child as well. I solved it by including a few little creatures that can speed things up while chumping during the early game. Wood Elves, Birds of Paradise, STE, Sad Simulacrum, Academy Rector, Mulldrifter, Coiling Oracle, Trinket Mage. Liliana of the Dark Realms is also great for mana fixing.

Hope this helps! I'll try to come back later and suggest what to cut (which, as we're all painfully aware, is the hard part :D ).

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 8:34 am 

Antis wrote:
Hi! After seeing this in action and your list, I'd say you need more creatures for cards like Lurking Predators and Animal Magnetism. And certainly some more ramp.

You may want to take a look at my Child of Alara deck (http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15942). I know it's a different strategy, but IMO some cards would do you well. For example, I often semi-joke that Wood Elves is the best card of that deck and I'm very surprised you don't play it. You may also consider playing one of each basic land and a toolkit of Sakura-Tribe Elder and Solemn Simulacrum. In our game, it took you very long to actually do something relevant - a problem I came across with the Child as well. I solved it by including a few little creatures that can speed things up while chumping during the early game. Wood Elves, Birds of Paradise, STE, Sad Simulacrum, Academy Rector, Mulldrifter, Coiling Oracle, Trinket Mage. Liliana of the Dark Realms is also great for mana fixing.

Hope this helps! I'll try to come back later and suggest what to cut (which, as we're all painfully aware, is the hard part :D ).

Yeah, the deck needs help. It did take SOOO long to do something, although your blowing up my artifacts so early really did hamper anything I could do. :x

:D Live and let live, I can't be mad about it in the slightest. I think a version of the deck before I posted it to here had more small creatures, but I think they've been slowly taken out after they were all I'd hit with the creature-to-play stuff. I'm probably going to change up a whole lot of the deck anyway, with any luck, even the current creature suit. I'm attempting to be a slave to theme here, and I'm also hoping not to make the deck too powerful by just playing the best of the best with creature-to-play stuff. So keeping it more-or-less random what I get is a goal I'd like to have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:24 pm 

I think you'd be insane to cut LPreds, and even more so to replace it with Mercadian Lift. If your problem is doing something relevant sooner, the lift will not help you there. Maybe Quicksilver Amulet? Shattering Sprees aside, it's far more consistent, even if it's more mana intensive.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:35 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I think you'd be insane to cut LPreds, and even more so to replace it with Mercadian Lift. If your problem is doing something relevant sooner, the lift will not help you there. Maybe Quicksilver Amulet? Shattering Sprees aside, it's far more consistent, even if it's more mana intensive.

Maybe. As I'm slowly shifting more towards making it a theme deck rather than the plain 'ol "I can haz stompy" deck, the more I'm finding a need for a balance between big and small creatures. Something has to hold down those balloons, right?

Well, it means Lurking Predators might be making less and less sense with the central drive of the deck. Maybe of the "let's just spit out a creature" cards might be making less sense. I'll be continuing to report here when I have more of my thoughts in order.

Offline Profile