Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 8:01 am

Post subject: Slippery Fish with Sygg
AgePosted: 2013-Feb-09 5:03 am 

The decklist update continues...

Here's my Sygg, River Guide decklist. Wizards need to go fishing to clear their minds.

It is definitely not a "win out of nowhere" type of deck. It flops around on the table and is hard to pick up. It will slap you with its tail every now and then.

Sygg, River Guide

Critters
Phyrexian Metamorph
Wake Thrasher
Merrow Harbinger
Streambed Aquitects
Stonybrook Banneret
Darting Merfolk
Empress Galina
Drowner of Secrets
Harpoon Sniper
Judge of Currents
Clone
Seahunter
Sigil Tracer
Magus of the Unseen
Tidal Warrior
Stormtide Leviathan
Svyelunite Priest
Stonybrook Schoolmaster
Silvergill Douser
Shapesharer
Merfolk Looter
Benthicore
Merrow Reejerey
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Scroll Thief
Rootwater Thief
Master of the Pearl Trident
Deepchannel Mentor
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Sun Titan
Seasinger
Archaeomancer
Information Dealer
Venser, the Sojourner

Artifacts
Caged Sun
Sol Ring
Relic of Progenitus
Door of Destinies
Illusionist's Bracers
Howling Mine
Sensei's Divining Top
Quicksilver Fountain

Enchantments
Intruder Alarm
Righteous Authority
Marshal's Anthem
Coastal Piracy
Merrow Commerce
Pemmin's Aura

Spells
Distant Melody
Rite of Replication
Intervene
Bribery
Forbid
Oblation
Crib Swap
Dawn Charm
Summon the School
Path to Exile
Force of Will
High Tide
Swords to Plowshares

Lands
19 Island
10 Plains
Reliquary Tower
Seachrome Coast
Adarkar Wastes
Azorius Chancery
Sejiri Refuge
Flood Plain
Haunted Fengraf
Cephalid Coliseum
Halimar Depths

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Slippery Fish with Sygg
AgePosted: 2013-Feb-13 10:14 pm 

So first off, we need more information about what you're looking for. You haven't said anything about the deck, really. To start I would include: win condition/strategy, strengths and weaknesses, and goals for improvement - if any.

I'm not even sure if you're looking for feedback, but in case you are I have some specific suggestions:

Cards I'm iffy about:
Darting Merfolk just doesn't seem to do enough to affect the board. I know it's a one-drop but there's a reason people don't play a lot of one-drops in EDH. Maybe it's part of the Intruder Alarm combo? Judge of Currents is pretty similar. If all it's doing is gaining you life it better be gaining you a lot. For example, if this card drops on turn two I would want to see it stick around long enough to gain 15-20 life. This might seem like a lot to expect out of a two-drop, but you have to sort of average it out with all the times you draw this when you need an answer.

I'm not sure why you're playing Intervene when you're not playing Counterspell. Maybe it comes up disproportionately in your meta but even so I'd rather have Counterspell's reliability. Two other counters I'd consider: Spell Crumple and Hinder, great for dealing with generals.

Lastly, I'm always iffy about playing Auras unless they provide shroud, hexproof, on indestructibility. Particularly when they're 5 mana, like Righteous Authority. If you're that interested in a draw per turn, I'd look at Honden of Seeing Winds. If you want something absolutely game-breaking for a similar cost, Mind Unbound pretty much screams "answer me now or be buried in a tide of card advantage".

I would recommend Coralhelm Commander as a card to consider. Also Lord of Atlantis. Both of these cards are a little pricey ($3-5) so maybe you don't want to spend that on the deck right now. But they'd be good pickups.

Also, you're playing UW but somehow you don't have any sweepers? Not sure how this came to pass. I know you're playing a creature deck but even so a Wrath of God or Day of Judgment isn't uncalled for. There are certainly better choices; Cyclonic Rift and Austere Command both come to mind. Both of those can act as more or less one-sided sweepers. I would strongly consider sleeving those up.

Uril, the Miststalker - here
Intet, the Dreamer - All Intet's Purposes
Sheoldred, Whispering One - here
Alternates
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - mostly a 1v1 deck
Zedruu the Greathearted - here
Progenitus - five color superfriends

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 3:03 am 

I mostly wanted to get this decklist up on the forum. I'm not looking for specific help but I do appreciate any comments on it!

Sweepers...not a fan. They extend games too long and people autoinclude them too much. Plus everybody has them so at some point they'll be dropped whether I have them or not. If I wanted to up the competetive notch I would toss a couple in. If I can pick up another Austere Command I would seriously consider dropping it in. I'm more ok with artifact or enchantment only wipes.

Darting Merfolk. This lil' guy is awesome! Great early game blocker and midgame when I have Door of Destinies down...yeah. I beat two people the other day with an Islandwalking 12/12 Darting Merfolk that had pro colors from Sygg. It was a fishy synergistic whirlwind!

Judge of Currents. This guy gains me life, lots of life. I'm tapping Merfolk like crazy, especially Merfolk Wizards! What? Tap 8 Mer-Wizards to draw 8 cards and gain 8 life? Sounds good to me. Oh look, Merrow Commerce untaps them so I can do it again for 8 more? :) Plus there are plenty of other uses for tapping Merfolk. He's not a lynchpin piece but again, synergy.

I have to look into Intervene. Its supposed to be a different card. I agree it's subpar and I definitely wouldn't run it over Counterspell. I was only supposed to have two counters in here, FoW and Forbid.

Righteous Authority. The first part is gold. I usually have a full grip so +7/+7 is typical. Pretty good with Islandwalkers yes? And it draws me a card? Sign me up! I'm mostly playing it because its new. Mind Unbound is super sweet though! I'm going to toss it in.

Coralhelm Commander is very meh. He is flying but too mana intensive for just +1/1. Good ol' Lord of Atlantis. I have one sitting in my box just waiting to be put in but I've been too lazy to do it. I had to steal Sun Titan from this deck for another one, I'll toss in the Fish Boss.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-17 2:07 am 

The problem with Big Fat Auras like Righteous Authority that do nothing to protect the creature they enchant is that they are GREAT. As long as no one touches your creature. However, when someone does - either through a Wrath effect, which Sygg doesn't do anything about, or maybe when you are tapped out and can't afford to activate him - they really stink. Even bouncing effects get rid of auras, and you can't give the creature in question protection from white OR blue without removing the enchantment. So add Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, and Capsize to the list of things that are going to make you wish you played something else. Also when an opponent gains control of it through a permanent effect like Gilded Drake, (which again, to stop you'd have to give protection from blue, thus removing RA) THEY get to draw the cards. And have the fatty.

If you still want to play it, fine, but keep in mind that there are going to be games where it's going to be a serious loss of card advantage/mana investment.

Uril, the Miststalker - here
Intet, the Dreamer - All Intet's Purposes
Sheoldred, Whispering One - here
Alternates
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - mostly a 1v1 deck
Zedruu the Greathearted - here
Progenitus - five color superfriends

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-22 9:38 am 

erronius wrote:
The problem with Big Fat Auras like Righteous Authority that do nothing to protect the creature they enchant is that they are GREAT. As long as no one touches your creature. However, when someone does - either through a Wrath effect, which Sygg doesn't do anything about, or maybe when you are tapped out and can't afford to activate him - they really stink. Even bouncing effects get rid of auras, and you can't give the creature in question protection from white OR blue without removing the enchantment. So add Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, and Capsize to the list of things that are going to make you wish you played something else. Also when an opponent gains control of it through a permanent effect like Gilded Drake, (which again, to stop you'd have to give protection from blue, thus removing RA) THEY get to draw the cards. And have the fatty.

If you still want to play it, fine, but keep in mind that there are going to be games where it's going to be a serious loss of card advantage/mana investment.

Good point on no pro U or W for the aura'd creature. I took it out for Mind Unbound.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-24 8:03 am 

Not sure if you realize a few of the infinite combos you have here. I have a deck very similary to this and wiped a table of 6 clean in one turn:

Intruder Alarm+ Drowner of Secrets + Stonybrook Schoolmaster = infinite mill and infinite creatures. Throw in Judge of Currents and you have infinite life as well. If you have creature lands or mana producing creatures, add infinite mana.

I also added Tradewind Rider to clear my opponent's board. With all the merfolk, anything that pumps them is good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-27 6:44 am 

merigold00 wrote:
Not sure if you realize a few of the infinite combos you have here. I have a deck very similary to this and wiped a table of 6 clean in one turn:

Intruder Alarm+ Drowner of Secrets + Stonybrook Schoolmaster = infinite mill and infinite creatures. Throw in Judge of Currents and you have infinite life as well. If you have creature lands or mana producing creatures, add infinite mana.

I also added Tradewind Rider to clear my opponent's board. With all the merfolk, anything that pumps them is good.

I thought there might be something in there with Intruder Alarm. I may take that out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-27 10:48 am 

merigold00 wrote:
Intruder Alarm+ Drowner of Secrets + Stonybrook Schoolmaster = infinite mill and infinite creatures. Throw in Judge of Currents and you have infinite life as well.

You forgot Azami + Schoolmaster + alarm = draw deck. Throw in Patron Wizard, and you have a near-lock.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-28 2:27 am 

lol, done. Intruder Alarm is gone :)

Honestly, I think I've drawn and played it once any way.

Offline Profile