Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 10:41 am

Post subject: [COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER] Maelstrom Wanderer - Primal Surge
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-26 10:42 pm 

Greetings, this is my Maelstrom EDH deck, designed for multiplayer (4+ player), i've came here to look for advice and ideas to improve my deck.
Whilst I have designed this deck for fun, I am trying to make this deck competitive as it has to play against a very competitive Riku of two Reflections deck, other commanders I regularly face are Jenara, Mayael, Nin, Scion, Mimeoplasm, Skullbriar, Sharuum.

Why should I play this deck??
Because it's stupid. It's fun and ridiculous. You can get explosive starts like turn 3 Consecrated Sphinx or you can put your entire deck onto the battlefield in the first couple of turns. (doesn't happen very often mind you)
This deck has the ability to end games that have dragged on too long and can apply constant pressure throughout the whole game.
It also has a completely suicidal general who actively wants to be killed so you can recast them.
Generally, it's a fun and powerful deck that should be good for some laughs for all.

So what does it do?
The deck is designed to Ramp up and cascade threats into play, provide card advantage and play a general "board presence + beatdown" game, until I either win, or go off with a Primal Surge, dump my deck on to the field and win via haste (Maelstrom or Memorial)

I am open to all suggestions, thankful for any comments positive or negative, and I hope I can improve this decklist, and that maybe others will have fun playing something similar.

And now, ze deckleest.

Commander
Maelstrom Wanderer

Sorceries 2
Primal Surge
Enter the Infinite

Ramp 15
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Wayfarer's Bauble
Grim Monolith
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Dawntreader Elk
Wood Elves
Yavimaya Elder
Yavimaya Dryad
Yavimaya Granger
Farhaven Elf
Fertilid
Trinket Mage
Oracle of Mul Daya
Solemn Simulacrum

Techy guys 12
Vexing Shusher
Fauna Shaman
Eternal Witness
Fierce Empath
Wickerbough Elder
Acidic Slime
Riku of Two Reflections
Hoarding Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Deadwood Treefolk
Brutalizer Exarch

Clone wars 4
Phantasmal Image
Phyrexian Metamorph
Clone
Phyrexian Gargantuan

Beaters and other guys 17
Soul of the Harvest
Consecrated Sphinx
Inferno Titan
Deadeye Navigator
Phyrexian Ingester
Chancellor of the Spires
Sphinx of Uthuun
Jin-Gitaxius, Core Augur
Roil Elemental < primal surge hitting lands or my mana dorks makes this guy dangerous
Mana-Charged Dragon
Hellkite Tyrant
Diluvian Primordial
Molten Primordial < great with Greater Good and Food Chain
Sylvan Primordial < replaces Terastodon
Rampaging Baloths
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius < Card draw and damage.
Tyrant of Discord

Partyfacts 5
Elixir of Immortality (if Primal Surge fails or I get wrathed after dumping library)
Scroll Rack
Proteus Staff
Birthing Pod
Akroma's Memorial

Enchantments 6
Soothsaying
Food Chain
Greater Good (alternate win-con with laboratory maniac/primal surge)
Dream Halls
Lurking Predators
Omniscience

The ground upon this war will be fought 38
Command Tower
Exotic Orchard
Spinerock Knoll
Misty Rainforest
Stomping Ground
Halimar Depths
Temple of the False God
Breeding Pool
Kessig Wolf Run
Simic Growth Chamber
Reliquary Tower
Thespian's Stage
Arid Mesa
Verdant Catacombs
Izzet Boilerworks
11x Forest
6x Mountain
6x Island

Finally, how could I improve this deck??
It can be made more powerful and more reliable by doing the following;
-1 Enter the Infinite
+1 Laboratory Maniac

Yes, as simple as that. What this means is, unless somehow Laboratory Maniac or Greater Good have been exiled from your deck, going off with Primal Surge is an instant win, you flip your entire library on to the battlefield, then draw a card by sacrificing any other creature to greater good to draw a card when there are no cards left in your library.

Last edited by Crumpet on 2013-Feb-03 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [MULTIPLAYER] Maelstrom Wanderer - Primal Surge
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 2:13 pm 

Quote:
If I go route B though I can still use Cream of the Crop when i'm Primal Surging to skip past instants and sorceries if need/want to.

This doesn't work the way you think it does. Primal Surge must fully resolve before any of the Cream of the Crop triggers.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief(Changes constantly)
Ink-Treader Nephilim(Group allowed)
Maelstrom Wanderer

Building Process:
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius(Draw, Earthquakes, Fireballs)

Dismantled:
Uril, the Miststalker
Captain Sisay
Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 3:59 pm 

I only count 98 cards main. Also, what's Phyrexian Gargantuan supposed to be?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 8:44 pm 

Eh, my favorite primordials are the blue, green and black ones, but only because they all work so well with a mill-based mimeoplasm deck.

And unfortunately what Fuego said is true. It's under the rulings for Primal Surge.

My honest to god input in the face of that would be to drop primal surge for genesis wave, and replace some of your creature-ramp with spells like recross the paths, harrow, explosive vegetation and boundless realms. The genesis wave WILL be more expensive, but trust me, you will almost ALWAYS get a higher return on it. And with feldon's cane and elixir of immortality, you don't have to worry too much about dropping instants and sorceries into your graveyard.

Oh, and if you don't want to be "that guy," then you might want to consider dropping Vorinclex. Seriously, he is, along with Stormtide Leviathan, one of the most one-sided, unpleasant, unfun cards I have ever dealt with. I guess it doesn't help that my brother turned on me after I sacrificed a turn of doing anything to burn our buddy's vorinclex down with a comet storm, but my point remains. It's a dick move.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 9:07 pm 

Sorry I was tired whilst writing the list, I meant quicksilver gargantuan.

And you are right, it is 98 cards I forgot I put my Eternal witness into my modern deck that morning.

Real kick in the nuts with the cream of the crop, that pretty much makes that a free slot in my deck, and if I were to swap primal surge with genesis wave then it means I can put in my tooth and nail I guess.

And whilst vorinclex definately makes you "that guy" I play in a meta where people constantly clone commanders, double bribery for wincons/combo pieces and make other plays that make vorinclex go relatively unnoticed. He is mainly there to help protect me if I get shut down/wrathed after primal surging the deck out, as that locks the opponent out for their next turn to give me time to recover.
He is in the maybe cut pile though for douschebag reasons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 11:54 pm 

Crumpet wrote:

And you are right, it is 98 cards I forgot I put my Eternal witness into my modern deck that morning.

Real kick in the nuts with the cream of the crop, that pretty much makes that a free slot in my deck, and if I were to swap primal surge with genesis wave then it means I can put in my tooth and nail I guess.

And whilst vorinclex definately makes you "that guy" I play in a meta where people constantly clone commanders, double bribery for wincons/combo pieces and make other plays that make vorinclex go relatively unnoticed. He is mainly there to help protect me if I get shut down/wrathed after primal surging the deck out, as that locks the opponent out for their next turn to give me time to recover.

That's what my brother says about his f***ing stormtide leviathan. "It's there to protect me."

I won't try to stop you from keeping him in there, but... I just... I have some PTSD with those cards, man. Of course.... I'm sure the other players in my group have their own fair share of hatred for my signature 76/76 mindleech mass with shroud and haste.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 8:41 am 

Crumpet wrote:

No worries.

Crumpet wrote:

Cream of the Crop might still be worth running on its own merits, even without interacting with Primal Surge. And I think all-permanent decks are neat, and TnN is really boring.

If you keep the 98 permanents + Surge build, you might want a Loaming Shaman. Presumably by the time you cast Primal Surge, you'll have at least a few permanents in your yard, so using Loaming Shaman to shuffle them into your now empty library gives you a few extra turns of life in case someone Fogs your alpha strike.

I don't think you need to apologize for running Vorinclex in a competitive group, but then again, I don't see why you need him either. You've already got a ton of ramp and other ways to cheat on mana, and the only X-mana dump you have is Kessig Wolf Run (which admittedly is awesome, but at a certain point, there's no difference between wolf run for 25 and wolf run for 50). If you decide to keep Vorinclex, you could probably benefit from a couple more big mana dumps, like maybe Flameblast Dragon or Shivan Hellkite.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 10:43 pm 

I have a loaming shaman, he can go in.

I have vorinclex as he protects me if I go off with primal surge, and frankly I feel like i'm lacking in beatsticks too.

Flameblast dragon sounds like a very good idea, I traded for a mana-charged dragon last night also for some cooperation kills.

Perhaps with this many mana dorks I should try running Beastmaster Ascension, it also gives more power to Avenger of Zendikar who is average in my list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-30 7:44 am 

Traded for beastmaster ascension today. Also put in 3 more instants/sorceries to make the deck less reliable when it combos off (people whinged it was too reliable, despite me having zero ways to find the primal surge and needing to draw in naturally, AND have 10 mana to cast it)

Dream halls has been a blast to play, setting up crazy shenanigans. I can't wait to have enter the infinite in there for giggles, but that will only be for more serious games.

Notable inclusions have been Tyrant of Discord who has been stellar and Inkwell Leviathan who has been a decent finisher.

I'm just dying to get my hands on these new Primordials from Gatecrash, then i'll post an updated decklist, then maybe I can get some help to provide final tweaks, maybe make a sideboard to change the power of the deck from more casual, to more competitive (sideboard vorinclex, enter the infinite etc)

I leave you now with my stupid play that just won me a multiplayer game that had dragged on too long. The board had just been wrathed, due to double blatant thievery I was up to 19 lands and a Sol Ring, the rest of my board was Soothsaying.

My hand was Dream halls, Terastodon, Hoarding Dragon, Yavimaya Elder, Inkwell Leviathan.

In my upkeep I use soothsaying, I rearrange the top 16! cards of my library, and rearrange them so that I draw a blue card.

I then tap the remaining 5 mana, play dream halls, pitch the dragon to cast my general (who was up to 16 mana) to double cascade into an Inferno Titan and Mindclaw Shaman which whiffed, then pitch the yavimaya elder to play Terastodon blowing up 3 of my stolen lands, and pitching the blue card to drop inkwell leviathan.

In for 56 damage divided out of nowhere. Gah i love this deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER] Maelstrom Wanderer - Primal Surge
AgePosted: 2013-Feb-03 12:42 am 

UPDATE

Completely reworked the decklist and included cards from Gatecrash.

I'll be testing it tonight to see how it plays out.

Took the advice of the above and removed Vorinclex.

I also removed laboratory maniac as a friend complained that he was too reliable as a wincon (not that this player isn't running tooth and nail for Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof behemoth combo, a whole eschew of tutor effects and has the most unpleasant deck in the group - hurt in the butt)

Still looking for help and advice to update the decklist, but I definately feel like it's moving in a glorious direction, and it's without doubt the most fun i've had playing MTG since I started playing 5 years ago. It's even got me reworking my Kaalia deck to see if i can make it more fun.

Comments and Criticism appreciated. Ciao for now.

Offline Profile