Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-14 2:37 am

Post subject: Riku, the Sorceror
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 1:50 am 

Hi all!

I've played this build for quite some time already, but I thought I could share it with the community here. It's a Riku deck, focused exclusively on the "Fork" part of him. That means Instants, Sorceries and two and only TWO creatures in the whole deck, aside from the man himself. And those creatures, Melek, Izzet Paragon and Uyo, Silent Prophet, being Legendary, don't even work with his cloning ability. Also, I would like to stress that I deliberately choose not to play any kind of infinite combo. The only extra turn effect I use is Temporal Mastery, since it exiles itself upon resolution, so while I can fork it (and boy, do I love to), I can't get it back afterwards.

The general idea is simple:

1) Ramp
2) Ramp!
3) MOAR RAMP!!!
4) Explode and kill everyone

This post is primarily just meant for inspiration and sharing, but any suggestions and/or notes are welcome, of course. The deck works fine for it's purpose: it certainly doesn't win every game, but it's worth the silver screen every time it does (double Epic Experiment for 36 each, anyone?).

The LIST:

Riku of Two Reflections as Da Man

Spell copying (7):

Fork
Twincast
Reverberate
Reiterate
Increasing Vengeance
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Uyo, Silent Prophet

Ramp (13):

Collective Voyage
Rampant Growth
Explore
Harrow
Search for Tomorrow
Untamed Wilds
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Far Wanderings
Explosive Vegetation
Unexpected Results
Urban Evolution
Boundless Realms

Card drawing (4):

Brainstorm
Fact or Fiction
Stroke of Genius
Wheel of Fortune

Tutors (3):

Mystical Tutor
Merchant Scroll
Bribery

Recursion (5):

Regrowth
Recollect
Past in Flames
Praetor's Counsel
Bösium Strip

Support (4):

Cast Through Time
Arcane Melee
Sphinx-Bone Wand
Omniscience

Explosion (12):

Early Harvest
Reset
Turnabout
Temporal Mastery
Price of Progress
Banefire
Comet Storm
Reins of Power
Mass Mutiny
Insurrection
Rite of Replication
Epic Experiment

Defense/Control (11):

Constant Mists
Capsize
Beast Within
Hull Breach
Decimate
Evacuation
Devastation Tide
Cyclonic Rift
Chain Reaction
Mogg Infestation
Blasphemous Act

LANDS (40):

Alchemist's Refuge
13x Forest
13x Island
13x Mountain

COUNT BY CARD TYPE:
Artifacts - 2
Creatures - 3 (including Riku)
Enchantments - 3
Instants - 21
Sorceries - 31

Cards I'd like to include, but haven't decided what to switch out yet:

Minds Aglow
Recurring Insight
Wild Ricochet
Recoup
Spelltwine
Biomantic Mastery
Deep Reconnaissance
Withdraw
Wild Guess
Into the Roil
Molten Disaster
Journey of Discovery
Stone Idol Trap
Gush
Call to Mind
Devil's Play (foil)
Blue Sun's Zenith
Into the Maw of Hell (foil)
Repeal
Dominate
Urza's Rage
Starstorm
Mystic Speculation
Fireball
Crop Rotation
Dangerous Wager
Mystic Retrieval
Rude Awakening
Chandra, the Firebrand

Whew! All right. You may have noticed there are no nonbasic lands in the deck, aside from Alchemist's Refuge, which is just stupid good. That has two reasons. One, Price of Progress kills everyone except me, two, all the ramp is "basics only", so this way I can eventually filter my deck landless. Don't laugh, it works 8)

All right, I think I've spoke enough. Time to see, what you all have to say. Enjoy!

Antis out.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2014-May-08 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Riku, the Sorceror
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:23 am 

Very cool. "All spell" decks are rather less common than all creature decks (which I still love of course) and finally there's Epic Experiment to give them the absurd blowout potential that only the Genesis Wavers used to have.

I'm also a huge fan of the fact that you have limited Time Warp effects. I have always felt that they are overpowered/unfun in format as it is, and it's incredibly common to see every. single. possible. copy. in each Riku and Dralnu deck I encounter. I have ragequit many a time.

I really like your style.

One thing I'd note: I personally like more cog-style, incremental advantage plays especially in a deck like this one that centers around double spells. Wouldn't it be fun if you played Call to Mind and Relearn instead of Praetor's Counsel and Bösium Strip?

I really feel the same way about Boundless Realms and Insurrection, and to a lesser extent Blatant Thievery. I think that all of your spells should fit a few criteria; they should be fun to copy (Insurrection does nothing here) and they should be small/interactable enough to not simply blow people out because then you'll end up winning with those same cards.

And Omniscience sounds unfair in this format...how much of a problem is it? You have both Mind's Desire and Epic Experiment already pulling massive amounts of free spells.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 9:12 am 

Thanks for the reply, Spekter :D

I want to add Call to Mind to the list, but right now, I can't decide what to lay off. I also already use Regrowth and Recollect for that purpose.

The problem I see with your "incremental advantage" notion is that I've tried to play more little/midrange spells, but the thing is-it didn't work for me. Perhaps you have some other cards in mind, but the reason I play big bad spells like that is that I have no other win condition. Playing (almost) all spells is cool and all, but you gotta win somehow. Prophetic Bolt is fun, but it doesn't kill anyone. Insurrection does.

That's why all my small spells are manaramp or defense. I effectively play control until I'm ready to roll. Also, it's kinda like a poker game to play against me, because I only have one nonland permanent out on average, so other players don't know what to expect. In my experience, they then tend to concentrate on threats that are already on the table (read=someone else's) and I go pretty much unnoticed.

But if you can suggest some nice midrange spells I should try or some nice win condition I missed, by all means, go for it :D

P.S.: I LOVE Omniscience, no way I'm gonna let it go, sorry :twisted: It's really good, but not an auto-win, you gotta have cards to go with it. And, to be honest, URG is the worst color combination for tutoring, so that doesn't always happen.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-16 12:47 pm 

Antis wrote:
I want to add Call to Mind to the list, but right now, I can't decide what to lay off. I also already use Regrowth and Recollect for that purpose.

Mystic Retrieval is better than Call to Mind. Make a Wish and Surreal Memoir are pretty cool options, too, if you like playing more unusual cards.

Antis wrote:
Prophetic Bolt is fun, but it doesn't kill anyone. Insurrection does.
If Insurrection is your speed, check out Reins of Power. You may risk losing Riku, but at 4 mana and instant speed it's a lot more flexible than Insurrection. Twist Allegiance, however, isn't worth it.

Antis wrote:
URG is the worst color combination for tutoring

Guided Passage!!!

Antis wrote:
But if you can suggest some nice midrange spells I should try or some nice win condition I missed, by all means, go for it.

It's a creature, but it's not completely off theme: Charmbreaker Devils. It doesn't trigger from copies but especially since his recursion will always have targets, it shouldn't be hard to come in for 12+ a turn.

Deck lists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-16 7:13 pm 

Aw yiss, you have to add that new Unexpected Results card, for hilarity and fun-times. Most of the time it's ramp, or it's a ramp spell, or it's something totally backbreaking like a lucksack Omniscience.

Your list has made me want to build a Riku deck...one more in the "I don't have enough money for this game" pile. Just shelled out quite a bit for my latest creation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-17 9:27 am 

Completely forgot about Mystic Retrieval, adding it to the list.
Make a Wish is there somewhere also, but that one is not a high priority for me.
Surreal Memoir only brings back Instants and with the random factor, it's not worth a slot, IMO.
Reins of Power is on my list, just forgot to type it in the OP :oops:
Guided Passage is fun and very powerful, especially since I only play two creatures in the deck (which both basically do the same thing, anyway). But these colors have little more than that. Most of the other available tutors are green and search for creatures :(
I've actually tried running Charmbreker Devils, but they perfomed badly. The randomness is cute the first few times, but gets annoying in time. And in great majority of cases, no evasion equals no damage, simple as that.

As for the Gatecrash cards spoiled so far, I'm also in love with Unexpected Results. That one just HAS to go in. Also, I'll try running Urban Evolution. And I'll probably add Simic and Gruul Charms to the list, along with Clan Defiance, Serene Rememberance and Ground Assault. If you have any suggestions as to what should I remove from my deck to make some room, now's the time :D

To dispel your worries and to encourage you, I can tell you that this was my cheapest deck to build, all basics and stuff. The most expensive card in it at the moment is Reset, I believe. I'd run Bribery, but my only copy is in my A-deck (Child of Alara ETB reanimation control) and I don't feel like buying another one anytime soon. Plus, when you cast Briberyx3, you'd better win fast, or you WILL die trying :twisted:

Thanks for the ideas! :wink:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 7:07 pm 

Took out Blatant Thievery and Mind's Desire. Those two just weren't doing much for me.

Added Urban Evolution and Turnabout (I can't believe I forgot about that one...).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-15 1:23 am 

There is no excuse for not having Wild Ricochet in the deck already! I would cut either Reverberate (kind of redundant with Fork and Twincast) or Djinn Illuminatus (the most expensive copy machine ever, and a huge removal target).

You may disagree on what to cut - and I can accept that - but WW is so much better than just another Fork. If you are patient and time it right I can seriously swing a game around in your favor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-15 11:06 am 

Quote:
There is no excuse for not having Wild Ricochet in the deck already! I would cut either Reverberate (kind of redundant with Fork and Twincast) or Djinn Illuminatus (the most expensive copy machine ever, and a huge removal target).

You may disagree on what to cut - and I can accept that - but WW is so much better than just another Fork. If you are patient and time it right I can seriously swing a game around in your favor.

It may be just my playgroup, but I almost NEVER see anything on the stack for which WR would be better card to have than Fork. In 99% of cases, my forks hit my own spells and why should I pay two extra mana just for that? That, and I almost never have four mana open, when it would be useful. Far too often I'm tapped out because I cast ramp spells on my turn. Since I don't play creatures, I don't have the time to be patient. This deck's weak side is defence. When an aggro deck decides to end me, I'm in trouble, so I have to ramp as fast as I can to make sure that plan doesn't go through.

About the Djinn, I play it because it is capable of making multiple copies of one spell at once. Just today, I managed to turn a duel in my favor by playing the Djinn, followed by a four-times-replicated Urban Evolution (in case you're wondering where I got the mana - Boundless Realms).

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

EDIT: I put Urban Evolution in today and *L*O*V*E* it already! :D Just regular or doubled, it fits the curve nicely and gives great value for one card. Now I just need to get me some Unexpected Results...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 8:55 pm 

Thread Revival Attempt (tm), now with a decklist update! :)

OUT:
Djinn Illuminatus - too mana intensive
Quicken - nice surprise, maybe will get back someday, but I wanted to try something new
Scrambleverse - I realized I'm not too fond of randomness. Never wanted to cast it, never did. For 8 mana, I want results!
Guided Passage - while a good and very politically interesting card, it's slow as hell. For those who haven't seen it in action, imagine typical Fact or Fiction resolution, how that player, who's never seen your deck (and sometimes even those friends who do know it), is thinking over and over how he/she should distribute the top five cards of your library to minimize the advantage he/she gives you. Got that? Good. Now imagine he/she has your whole library to look through. I literally cast Guided Passage and go make myself a sandwich.

IN:
Melek, Izzet Paragon - trying this boy out, we'll see
Turnabout - Early Harvest no.2
Bribery - finally decided to move it here from my CoA 5-C goodstuff. Extra devastating in Riku :twisted:
Unexpected Results - trying this out as a cheaper Mind's Desire (never got too big a storm count). As with Melek, we'll see.

Offline Profile