Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 5:40 pm

Post subject: Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind Is Epic (Big spells no combo)
AgePosted: 2012-Dec-26 6:18 am 

Good evening, I am Unconditional Love! Thanks for joining in for a review of my favorite general: Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind. I've been playing MTG for 14 years and for the last 6 of them only EDH. So much so that I sold most of my collection (since prices rose like crazy) and was able to buy a motorcycle and almost all the cards I want for my EDH ultra-mega-giga-turbo sexy collection where I've left my most precious cards (one of each) so that I would be able to build almost any deck that I'd like. I especially LOVE Niv and have many modes for him - wizards tribal, combo-bombo, ultra fortress and this one - big spells, no combo, ultra high velocity.

My playgroup consists of 9 players and old friends. Generals are: The Mimeoplasm (mostly good stuff and a bit of combo), Shaarum the hegemon (mainly combo and ANNOYING cards like Magister Sphyinx), Maelstrom Wanderer (good stuff), Karador, Ghost Chieftain (obvious), Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (reanimation and 1 combo), Jor Kadeen, The Prevailer (aggro tron), Kaalia of the vast (very, very, very well tuned good stuff), Trostani, Selesnya's Voice (tokens) and Me ( I play Niv and Horde Of Notions).

There is less and less degeneration in our group and I don't play my combo build on purpose - the more I play, the more I tend to prefer synergy plays over combo 1-shots. This build is made especially with Epic EXperiment in mind - I've included some sub-optimal cards for the fun factor of playing them through the experiment (e.g. Bribery, Aquire)

So here is the lovely list I've compiled:
General:
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Countermagic:
Pact of Negation
Force Of Will
Mindbreak Trap
Foil
Mana Drain
Counterspell
Double Negative
Counterflux
Cryptic Command
Overwhelming Intellect
Time Stop
Turns:
Time Warp
Walk The Eons
Beacon of Tomorrows
Time Stretch
Draw and Puzzlebox Effects:
Bazaar of Baghdad
Wheel of fortune
windfall
Timetwister
Whirlpool Warrior
Molten Psyche
Winds of Change
Geth's Grimoire
Consecrated Sphinx
Time Spiral
Trade Secrets
Myojin of seeing winds
Blue sun's zenith
Temporal cascade
Future sight
Utility and goodstuff:
Epic Experiment
Rite of replication
Insurrection
Bribery
Aquire
Blatant thievery
Mystical Tutor
Personal Tutor
Tezzeret the seeker
Snapcaster mage
Past in flames
Sensei's divining top
Scroll rack
lightning greaves
Spellbook (casual, but I'm sick of drawing X and not hitting that Reliquary tower)
Chain Reaction
Cyclonic Rift
Vandalblast
obliterate
reiterate
wild ricochet
Phyrexian metamorph
Artifact mana:
Mana crypt
Chrome mox
Mox opal
Mox Diamond
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Grim monolith
darksteel ingot
coalition relic
thran dynamo
gilded lotus
solemn Simulacrum
Lands:
4xMountain
13xIsland
Minamo, school at water's edge
Scalding tarn
Vulcanic Island
Steam Vents
Sulfur Falls
Cascade bluffs
Command tower
reflecting pool
vesuva
izzet boilerworks
temple of the false god
tolaria west
Boseiju, who shelters all
reliquary tower
academy ruins
desolate lighthouse
Mikokoro, center of the sea
Strategy:
Play as many cards as I can and refill with the awesome draw 7+ spells I pack. I try to pitch, toss and cast all the things in my hand. If you, dear reader, do make this deck you'll see how intuitive the plays are and how fun it is to play, what I consider to be, the highest velocity deck out there. All is full of Love.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind Is Epic (Big spells no combo)
AgePosted: 2012-Dec-30 2:18 pm 

I'm surprised you don't have Teferi's Puzzle box (after all, you have a section for "Puzzlebox effects"). Same with Psychosis Crawler. Were they too combo-tacular?

Also, for someone who's trying to run a less degenerate deck, there are still an awful lot of extra turns going on here. It might be worth replacing them with more wheel effects, like Flux, Reforge the Soul, Tolarian Winds, Incendiary Command, or Jace's Archivist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-01 1:51 am 

Kemev wrote:
I'm surprised you don't have Teferi's Puzzle box (after all, you have a section for "Puzzlebox effects"). Same with Psychosis Crawler. Were they too combo-tacular?

Hi, Kemev, thanks for your feedback - very polite of you to stop by and offer me your oppinion! The puzzlebox was something I played for a while, but I never got a single turn with it - in my playgroup people tend to blow up things as fast as possible and I never thought it was worth protecting, because I think that is a piece of gear that is fun for everyone. We always play 5 people (never less, never more) so between my friends they have (with puzzlebox's help in one turn) around 50 cards to blow it up. I am a sore loser when it concerns casual cards that are just fun and they get destroyed "because you are YOU and I can't let you have any permanent - even lands are too much, so I'll leave his Worldslayer, but kill your Puzzlebox". Eventually I realized I'll never get to untap with it and removed it. I loved playing Psychosis Crawler and Mindmoil, but I realized I always won the turn I played any of the two and it was kind of unfun for me.

Kemev wrote:
Also, for someone who's trying to run a less degenerate deck, there are still an awful lot of extra turns going on here. It might be worth replacing them with more wheel effects, like Flux, Reforge the Soul, Tolarian Winds, Incendiary Command, or Jace's Archivist.

I believe extra turns are ok, as long as they are not recurring. I never recur them unless all 4 opponents are vindicating me for no reason and I need to stay alive (in most cases I play them early game for extra mana acceleration and draw). Out of the cards you mentioned I like Flux, Reforge the Soul and Tolarian Winds I did run them, but I can't find space nowadays. I dislike Incendiary Commandand Jace's Archivist, because the former is too mana expensive and the latter never lives to activate, nontheless Jace's Archivist is in my Wizards tribal build for my Niv-Mizzet, the firemind.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-01 2:30 am 

Dragon Mage is a good puzzlebox effect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-22 4:40 am 

I've been using this deck to great success. It's really a lot of fun, thanks. Note that there's only 99 cards here. I've added Omniscience as the 100th card.

Offline Profile