Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:49 am

Post subject: Happy Hippo Horror: Phelddagriff beatings
AgePosted: 2012-Dec-20 1:46 am 

A couple words before I start with the list, this is a MTGO deck and it contains mostly cards that I had already at hand, so if you suggest something its possible that I don't have the card and won't be able to get one either. I am kind of the cheapest type of commander player you can find, I mostly build with what I have already and mostly collect playsets of junk for fun.. while spending as little as possible since health expanses are.. well.. expensive.
Putting this up here since someone from our official irc channel wanted to take another look at the deck.
Also, I didnt update this deck in a while, so this is probably not the best version I can build, but its fun.
Sorted by type and converted manacost.

Commander: Phelddagrif

39 Lands:

7 Snow-covered Plains
8 Snow-covered Island
7 Snow-covered Forest
Bant Panorama
Buried Ruin
Coastal Tower
Command Tower
Elfhame Palace
Lonely Sandbar
Oasis
Secluded Steppe
Sejiri Steppe
Soaring Seacliff
Terramorphic Expanse
Tranquil Thicket
Turntimber Grove
Academy Ruins
Eiganjo Castle
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers

18 Artifacts:

Elixir of Immortality
Library of Leng
Relic of Progenitus
Aeolipile
Fellwar Stone
Sun Droplet
Druidic Satchel
Obelisk of Bant
Temple Bell
Farsight Mask

Runed Stalactite
Banshee's Blade
Blight Sickle
Lightning Greaves
Sword of Vengeance

Pilgrim's Eye
Junktroller
Beast of Burden

16 Creatures:

Jotun Grunt
Dawnglare Invoker
Intrepid Hero
Changeling Titan
Indrik Stomphowler
Mulldrifter
Changeling Hero
Copperhoof Vorrac
Sphinx of Lost Truths
Deadwood Treefolk
Aethersnipe
Pale Recluse
Sanctum Plowbeast
Krosan Tusker
Angelic Arbiter
Blazing Archon

3 Auras:

Steel of the Godhead
Shield of the Oversoul
Fool's Demise

14 Instants:

Pongify
Condemn
Swords to Plowshares
Arcane Denial
Meddle
Vision Skeins
Words of Wisdom
Blessed Reversal
Krosan Grip
Exile
Resounding Silence
Return to Dust
Relic Crush
Squall Line

9 Sorceries:

Gaea's Blessing
Flux
Harmonize
Invigorating Falls
Rush of Knowledge
Acquire
Bribery
Telemin Performance
Prosperity

How I play this:
I hold back, look like any other deck and try to be nice and keep the game flowing.. against the other guys. Try to get lands down but not much else for a while, this list tries to win by dealing commander damage, everything else is just there to make sure this can work out.
Sometimes the Squall Line is the only way out of a sticky situation.. and.. well.. sometimes its also a way to force a draw when people keep hitting me.. or at least a way to take someone else with me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Happy Hippo Horror: Phelddagriff beatings
AgePosted: 2012-Dec-23 7:47 am 

I'm going to make some suggestions that might go against your sentiments on how much you want to spend, just because I can't always think of a great cheap option. For instance, Oblation would be a nice fit for this deck, as would Forbidden Orchard and Austere Command (which is honestly great in pretty much anything), but they aren't exactly cheap. So forgive me if I mention things that you would like but can't get.

I prefer Stomp and Howl or Rain of Thorns to Relic Crush even though they are not instants. Relic Crush is just too darn expensive for what it does. Heck, Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain, and Trygon Predator are all decent alternatives. If you really want it to be an 2 permanents as an instant, then keep it; not much does that.

I'd rather see Brittle Effigy to Aeolipile, though it can't be brought back with Buried Ruin. 2 damage is just not enough most of the time.

Also, Banshee Blade is bad and Sun Droplet is bad bad bad. I'd suggest Sigil of Distinction and Chalice of Life as some better similar options.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why you're running snow lands, or why you have Runed Stalactite in there. Am I missing something here? Must have something to do with the two changeling champions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-23 8:10 am 

Not recommending relic crush was just wierd.

White has other alternatives, such as return to dust, or dust to dust (I always prefer to exile threats when I can) and soltari visionary, but relic crush with its 241 at instant speed, is good, IMO. Its colour commitment only requires one G, which is also a boon.

Snow lands are run perhaps because many mono-coloured decks run extraplanar lens?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-23 7:41 pm 

Hi folks!

Relic Crush is in there because its an instant and only got one colored mana involved, the slime is right there.

Snow lands? I have them online and they are pretty, plus almost no one runs snow hate cards.

Droplet is actually not as bad as Chalice here, since I play this with random strangers at 4 player tables mostly.. and there is the autoyield option.. so there is no real waiting involved.
Blade is actually fun to play with, and low key too.. people usally only destroy it when no other artifact or equipment is left.. unless I already have like 4 or more counters on it.

Runed Stalactite is in there because its unique and people do run random tribal decks... keeping that back and using it when needed works better then you might expect.

The command is not in my range and the other suggestions arent really in my collection.. but I did happen to pick up a Day of Judgement last week (5 cent online).. and I opened a Nevinyrral's Disk in one of the masters edition events.

The Aeliophile is colorless damage, which is sometimes really helpfull, basically its a bartering chip and political card, since more often then not I could in theory finish something off with it.

Also, this is not a regular grouphug. This tries to win with commander damage when possible.. it should just look and feel like a grouphug before I am the second to last player left. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-24 12:25 am 

One of the more amusing cards I've seen run alongside the purple hippo is Kavu Predator.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile