Artifacts = 7

Enchantments = 4

Sorceries = 10

Instants = 6

Lands = 40

My wish list

Cards I'm considering

Comments about my deck
I play multiplayer free for all, pentagram, two-headed giant, emperor, and archenemy.

I don't like to use infinite combos, mass land destruction, or Eldrazi.

Deck Edits

Thanks for your input.

Mayael the Anima

Last edited by Celerus on 2017-Jan-17 5:42 am, edited 23 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Teneb, there are many like it
AgePosted: 2013-Feb-13 10:44 pm 

Holy 5-8 drops, Batman! I count 26 of your 32 creatures as CMCs between 5 and 8, inclusive. I wouldn't think this would be too problematic for you? In any case I was impressed by the selections.

Looking over your decklist, there are only two cards I'm iffy about: Elixir of Immortality and Sword of Vengeance. First, the Elixir seems to get in the way of your own gameplan! Not sure what the idea is. I wouldn't think you'd have so much mill you'd mill yourself to death.

Second, the Sword. I've had trouble making this one work. I find that what really gets my freak-juice flowing about the card is the haste, but then... with Teneb, you're looking at 6+ to cast him, 3 to equip the sword, and then 3 to pay for his ability. I don't know exactly what your plan with the Sword is, but I find that more often than not haste ends up being a dead ability. At that point I'd rather play Loxodon Warhammer.

I thought I'd chip in on some of the cards you're considering, too:

Explosive Vegetation is great. Harrow I'm less fond of because of Counterspell (this is more of a 1v1 concern, admittedly). Far Wanderings I haven't tried. Yosei is really nifty. Loaming Shaman seems like a great replacement for the aforementioned Elixir. Wing Shards depends somewhat on your meta of course. The best mileage to get out of it is against people who aren't careful to attack first, then cast spells. In a 60-card deck with 3-4 of these, people learn the lesson pretty fast but in a 100/1 maybe not so much. This doesn't seem like the deck for Gavony Township. On the other hand, every deck seems like the deck for Wurmcoil Engine.

Two cards you didn't list that I'd mention:

Knight of the Reliquary could be good. But you might not feel that you have enough Plains/Forest. Hermit Druid is pretty good for self-mill. Works well with the Knight, too.

Anyway, cool decklist! Good luck with it

Uril, the Miststalker - here
Intet, the Dreamer - All Intet's Purposes
Sheoldred, Whispering One - here
Alternates
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - mostly a 1v1 deck
Zedruu the Greathearted - here
Progenitus - five color superfriends

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 5:03 am 

Thanks for the feedback erronius.

I hadn't thought of how many 5-8 drops I had. I was counting on ramping into larger creatures and using spot removal for early threats. What 1-4 drops would you suggest I use?

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the Elixir or Sword. The Elixir was a last minute addition because I thought I should include some sort of graveyard shuffling. The Sword of Vengeance was left over from when it was a Kharador utility creature build. I'll probably switch it out for Swiftfoot Boots

Agree about Explosive Vegetation. I have it another deck. I plan to switch out Krosan Tusker or Yavimaya Elder for it.

I've used Harrow before, but I'll probably try out Far Wanderings in this deck.

I like to play with cycles so I was thinking since I have Kokusho, I could play with Yosei and Jugan and maybe a few more sac outlets.

I had Loaming Shaman in the deck when it was Kharador and never actually cast it. I may try it out again.

I'm not sure if I'll add another creature spot removal spell, but if I do I was thinking of trying out Wing Shards since I already have Condemn in another deck. And you're right about Wing Shards being better against those don't play around it. I've certainly been guilty of casting spells before I attacked and then having to sac multiple creatures.

I was considering Gavony Township because I wanted the whole cycle of utility lands and its interaction with persist creatures.

Agree about Wurmcoil Engine. There's hardly a deck that wouldn't benefit from it. Problem is I only have 1 of them, and they cost about $10.

I have a Knight of the Reliquary but I've never used it. I figured he's better in 60 card formats. Also, I'm not too keen on saccing my own lands. Perhaps if I used Life from the Loam or Crucible of Worlds.

I wasn't planning on milling myself so I hadn't considered Hermit Druid. Isn't he more for combo decks anyway?

Mayael the Anima

Last edited by Celerus on 2013-Feb-14 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 6:19 am 

I'll take a longer look in a bit, but the first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of card draw.
I would focus on that a lot, and it should help immensely.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 6:57 am 

Funny story about Wurmcoil Engine... I attended both days of the Scars pre-release at my LGS, and I was so bummed that this was the promo card. I was like "OMG, such a boring creature that fits in any deck I guess, it's dumb, whatever, someone shoot me cause I am such an idiot". I really was stupid and I'm so glad no one offered to trade me for mine because I probably would have traded them away easily. I guess I was really excited about the pre-release and not paying enough attention to his stats.

Anyway, on the subject of milling yourself - I assumed that's what you were planning since you were considering Altar of Dementia. I don't think Teneb is a deck where you want to really be milling your opponent. You should have plenty of good choices in your own graveyard, if the opponents' are empty (sidenote: this is why I eventually grew dissatisfied with Wrexial, the Risen Deep, because he depends on the opponent having something). And the druid is for anyone that wants to self-mill.

On the creatures CMC - is it a problem for you in games you play? Really only you can say that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you do decide you need cheaper creatures, work from there. But in advance, three that come to mind are: Sakura-Tribe Elder, his little brother Diligent Farmhand, and Serra Ascendant (sidenote 2: how did that get to be $10?).

On Knight: he can be really powerful in EDH too. He's acceleration (since you sac a tapped land and the land you get enters naturally), he fetches powerful utility lands, and he's potentially a beater. There are few things I would rather play turn 3 than him in my Uril deck (see the link in my sig). But that's also in part because I have some lands that I *really* want to have (Contested Cliffs is really, really good).

A couple of powerful pieces of tech to consider would be Living Death and Debtors' Knell. You might find the latter prohibitively priced but the former shouldn't be too hard to find, if you decide to include it. Living Death I could go either way on, but given that you have a lot of creatures that are big, it seems strong. Debtor's Knell is pretty strong too.

Alternates

Last edited by erronius on 2013-Feb-14 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 7:00 am 

Card draw ideas:

Greater Good - this is the very first place I'd start. SO good!
Soul of the Harvest/Harvester of Souls - I'd definitely consider the green one at least.
Phyrexian Arena/Graveborn Muse - Good, classic options, but I'm not as in love as I used to be. Bloodgift Demon is usually just better value, and you already have it.
Momentous Fall/Disciple of Bolas - I like this more. They're one-shots (usually) but synergize nicely with graveyard strategies, and usually pack a big punch, refilling your hand and giving you a life cushion.
Decree of Pain - You'd probably be running this already if you had one, I'd suppose, but it's obviously a powerful card. Worth considering.

By the way, on your "considering" list... I like the Alter of Dimentia idea. I haven't seen that done in EDH outside of some mill combo decks. Here it seems like it could be an amusing win-condition late game, or you could use it on yourself to set up a HUGE Living Death.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 7:14 am 

Wow. I'm embarrassed to say that I drafted plenty of AVR, saw all the cards, knew both of those cards, and never put together the duality. Oh well.

Personally, I'll take enchantments over creatures any day. Except a day where I really like creatures. Like, perhaps in Teneb. OK anyway, my point is that in the abstract I like Phyrexian Arena over the Demon, personally.

Alternates

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-14 8:55 am 

I'm not worried about card draw. My game plan is to focus on recursion instead. However, I may play Greater Good b/c it's such a good sac engine.

I haven't played the deck in it's current form yet so I don't know if the number of of 5-8 cmc creatures I have is a problem. I figured I would just ramp and cast spot removal for the first 4 turns and cast creatures on turn 5 and later. That's what I do with Mayael and it works fine.

I don't own a Decree of Pain. Since I'm not interested in card draw I don't think I'd play it if I had one. Plus, I prefer sweepers that can destroy more than one type of permanent, like Merciless Eviction.

I tried playing with Living Death and it needed too much support. I didn't like that I didn't feel safe casting it unless I had Grave Pact in play or graveyard removal.

I've never played Debtor's Knell but it seems too slow. I imagine it will be destroyed most times before it gets back to my upkeep.

I was thinking of milling my opponents with Altar of Dementia, then reanimating their stuff.

I think I'll give Knight of Reliquary a try. It'd be nice to be able to tutor up Phyrexian Tower or Volrath's Stronghold.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile