Nature's Revolt/Living Plane
Mindslaver
Isochron Scepter
Standardize
Homeward Path
March of the Machines
Mycosynth Lattice
And of course Wood Elemental!

Pretty much everything else is geared to help said combo, or keep the pieces of it in play, or helps ensure that my opponent has something and can play something to trigger the Knowledge Pool with Wood Elemental. I'm not running enough creatures, Green ones in particular, to make good use of either my General or the Survival. I'm almost certainly running way too much counter. I could afford to cut Copy Artifact/Sculpting Steel/etc. I'd like a few more creatures, preferably cheap and Green that also would benefit the deck if anything. Oh, I also have an Earth Surge that is getting added as soon as it arrives so I have a bit more flexibility with the March/Lattice timestamps/layers.

Purpose:
The whole and sole purpose of this deck is to get an opponent to sacrifice all of their permanents, which are also Forests, to the Wood Elemental that you make them cast through the use of Mindslaver and Knowledge Pool. Having done so, Homeward Path the Wood Elemental back and swing for the win. That's pretty much it. I've always heard Wood Elemental described as one of the worst cards in Magic and I wanted to do something about that. EDH gives me that field in which to do so. Thoughts, comments, questions, advice all welcome!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wood Elemental EDH
AgePosted: 2012-Nov-02 4:04 pm 

This thread gave me cancer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-02 5:58 pm 

ok I'm dumb , how are you making all permanents forests ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-02 6:19 pm 

if I see this correctly you're planning on making everything artifacts, then making all artifacts creatures, then making all creatures forests.

The problem with this is that ... you can't make creatures forests ...

You also have to have life and limb in play .. so you can make them saporlings .. that happen to be forests ..

The biggest problem with the deck is that revolves around a 5 card combo, and runs a fairly low tutor count to get the 5 card combo off.

I'd add white / black to be able to actually find the enchantment you need to enable the combo.
No life and limb in play no combo.

Given how f-d the game usually gets when lattice/ or pool are in play I seriously doubt you'll ever see this combo resolve .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-02 11:18 pm 

odit wrote:
if I see this correctly you're planning on making everything artifacts, then making all artifacts creatures, then making all creatures forests.

The problem with this is that ... you can't make creatures forests ...

You also have to have life and limb in play .. so you can make them saporlings .. that happen to be forests ..
You pretty much have it spot on. For the time being to have the rules layers and timing to work out I need to play the March, then Lattice, and then Life and Limb. From there have the Scepter with Standardize on it (for getting around the Pool), Mindslaver, and Nature's Revolt/Living Plane. Play the Pool and play the Wood Elemental so that it is on the Pool. Mindslaver their turn. Activate the Scepter on "their" upkeep to both get around the Pool and choose Saproling. At this point all permanents should be artifacts, creatures, and Forests. Through "free" mana from the Vineyards, Searchlight, Rainbow Vale, etc., make them cast something from their hand to trigger the Pool (if I can swing it, I'd have the Noble Benefactor out and sac it with the Claws on their Mindslaver'd turn to guarantee that they get something they can play for free). From the Pool trigger, make them play the Elemental and have them sacrifice all of their permanents (Forests) to it as well. Homeward Path it back to me and end their turn. Swing with a probably lethal Wood Elemental for the win while laughing maniacally!

odit wrote:
The biggest problem with the deck is that revolves around a 5 card combo, and runs a fairly low tutor count to get the 5 card combo off.

I'd add white / black to be able to actually find the enchantment you need to enable the combo.
No life and limb in play no combo.

Given how f-d the game usually gets when lattice/ or pool are in play I seriously doubt you'll ever see this combo resolve .

I quite agree about the very low probability of getting the 10ish card combo off, but come on! I'm a Johnny and this is a Johnny deck; I go home happy if I manage to do this successfully once.

No dice on adding more colors. About the only card I don't have a straight tutor for, as you pointed out, is the Life and Limb, but I do have one in Noble Benefactor. Which I can easily tutor up itself. Yeah I'd love to have Academy Rector and Enlightened Tutor in the deck, but I'm not budging on the color issue. I have to have blue and green for the combo, beyond that is not necessary for the deck. Now with that said, I did have Planar Portal set aside for the deck, but ultimately decided against it. Think I should put it back in? Or more U/G tutors?

I again agree on the fucked-upness of the game with Lattice/Pool out, however I do have this to say: 1.) At least I'm not also running Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
2.) I try to amass and hold onto the combo pieces until I can play them in one turn (Hypergenesis) or over the course of two turns. Of all the pieces, Lattice and Pool are among the last to be played precisely because of what they tend to do to a game.

I appreciate the feedback so far and keep it coming!

Offline Profile