Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 9:03 am

Post subject: [EDH] Mayael Multiplayer Madness
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 2:44 am 

This is my first ever commander deck. I started building it 3 years ago and I've been playing and improving it ever since. My playgroup slowly evolved to the point where we all play very competitive and aggressive decks and I constantly changed my mayael deck to be able to dish out some damage before dying horribly.

I play against a stax deck with Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed, a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind control/combo deck, The Mimeoplasm with stupid graveyard shenanigans and a Sharuum the Hegemon combo deck. Right now, I'm at the point where I feel like this deck is where I want it to be. I'm able to answer most threats while dropping my own bombs and protecting my creatures effectively. One thing that helped accomplish that is to run some recursion (though I think I don't have enough yet).

Unfortunately, decks are never really "complete" and that's where you guys come in. I'm looking for any advice/constructive criticism to siginificantly improve this deck. My budget is about $50 max per card but it has to REALLY be worth it.

If you think some of the cards don't really synergize well with the deck, please suggest something better and explain why. Some of the cards in this list are simply there due to my meta.
For example, Tormod's Crypt doesn't really work with the deck but with sharuum, mimeo and xiahou, it's a must.

General: Mayael the Anima

Fatties (19):
1 Akroma, Angel of Fury (awesome beater)
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath (awesome beater)
1 Blightsteel Colossus (awesome beater)
1 Flameblast Dragon (awesome beater)
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth (awesome beater)
1 Hellkite Charger (awesome beater)
1 Worldspine Wurm (awesome beater)

1 Angel of Serenity (removal)
1 Bogardan Hellkite (removal)
1 Crater Hellion (removal)
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges (removal)
1 Woodfall Primus (removal)

1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope (protection)
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight (protection)
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons (protection)
1 Windbrisk Raptor (protection)

1 Eternal Dragon (mana fix)
1 Krosan Tusker (mana fix)

1 Sun Titan (utility recursion)

Removal:
1 Acidic Slime
1 Duplicant
1 Austere Command
1 Beast Within
1 Path to Exile
1 Terminus
1 Aura Shards

Ramp/Accel:
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Farseek
1 Nature's Lore

1 Bloom Tender
1 Somberwald Sage
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Diamond
1 Sol Ring

Tutor/Draw:
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Gamble
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Survival of the Fittest

1 Momentous Fall
1 Greater Good
1 Sylvan Library
1 Scroll Rack
1 Sensei's Divining Top

Recursion:
1 Eternal Witness
1 Karmic Guide
1 Resurrection
1 Marshal's Anthem

Misc:
1 Sneak Attack
1 Primal Command
1 Stonecloaker
1 Fires of Yavimaya
1 Lurking Predators
1 Warstorm Surge
1 Quicksilver Amulet
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Tormod's Crypt

Lands (36):
1 Arid Mesa
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Brushland
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Command Tower
1 Forbidden Orchard
1 Forest
1 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Homeward Path
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Karplusan Forest
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Plateau
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savannah
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Slayers' Stronghold
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Stomping Ground
1 Strip Mine
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Taiga
1 Temple Garden
1 Winding Canyons
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Yavimaya Hollow

List on essential magic for mana curve and sample hands:
http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/Analysis.asp?ID=850334

Last edited by palyfight on 2012-Oct-30 5:47 am, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [EDH] Mayael Multiplayer Madness
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 5:38 am 

Nice Mayael build. She was my first general too and I've been playing her for about 2 years.

Props for being true highlander.

I count 19 fatties. That's pretty low even by my standards. But you do have a lot of tutors and deck manipulation so it probably works ok.

Conquering Manticore is an interesting choice. I've never used him. How has he worked for you? I think I'll try him out.

I'm not a fan of blightsteel or eldrazi but you said it's a competitive meta.

Haven't tried Worldspine Wurm yet. I think I would prefer Wurmcoil Engine though.

I want to try Angel of Serenity but she's too expensive right now. I'll probably wait for her to rotate out of standard before I pick her up.

I'm a big fan of Scourage of Kher Ridges. People are always surprised by how good he is when they see him. I recently pulled him and Seedborn Muse with T&N to wipe my opponent's token hoard :)

Never tried Crater Hellion. Not a fan of echo costs. They should have designed that mechanic better. It feels like they were trying to make a better version of upkeep costs on creatures like Force of Nature.

I have Windbrisk Raptor but I don't use him. I use wurmcoil and baneslayer for life gain.

Have you considered Miraculous Recovery instead of Resurrection? It's instant and buffs your creature.

Too many tutors for my taste.

I use more board wipes like Planar Cleansing and Akroma's Vengeance.

Tormod's Crypt is great. Even better with Sun Titan, which is conspicuously absent from your list.

Moldgraff Monstrosity and Sun Titan could replace Karmic Guide and Marshal's Anthem and they're hits for Mayael.

Have you tried Rings of Brighthearth?

Not a fan of creature ramp like bloom tender. Too vulnerable.

No cultivate, kodama's reach or skysrhoud claim? Are they too slow for your meta?

36 lands also seems low. I'd go for 38. Lands you should consider.
Kor Haven
High Market
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 5:58 am 

Thanks for the great feedback Celerus.

I rarely miss on my mayael activations due to multiple fetch lands, library manipulations and tutor. Also, I can play the deck very well even without my general.

I'm currently thinking of removing Conquering Manticore because I mostly activate mayael on other people's turns and I hate having it as the only power 5 creature on the top because the ability becomes useless (can't swing with the creature I gained control of). Although sometimes it's useful to get an extra blocker in a pinch by taking an opponent's creature, it's only really good if played during your own turn so it might become a Sun Titan very soon.

Blightsteel Colossus + Warstorm Surge = Insta kill :D and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth is mainly there to shuffle my graveyard.

Worldspine Wurm is simply AMAZING. It's hard to get rid of it and most of the time when it dies, I get 3x 5/5 trample creatures to bash with. It's basically getting 3 mayael targets in one :D.

Crater Hellion I use it just for wipping the board. Most of my stuff survives while crippling my opponents badly. Needless to say I never pay for the echo.

Windbrisk Raptor basically gives my whole team lifelink as opposed to Wurmcoil Engine or Baneslayer Angel. I must admit that I'm kinda biased because I have a foil copy of Windbrisk and .. I can't resist foils lol

Resurrection I just play it because I have the FNM foil and it looks awesome lol. I agree Miraculous Recovery is a far better option.

More boardwipes in this deck would be bad for me unless I can get Avacyn, Angel of Hope into play reliably. I run Austere Command because I get to chose the best option for me and the worst for my opponents. Terminus is there simply for the "oh shit I need to deal with all the creatures now" moments.

The tutors make sure I have what I need in any situation. Our games tend to get out of hand really fast if there are no answers at the right time. That explains all the tutors I'm running.

I tested Moldgraf Monstrosity and hated the randomness of it. Also, the fact that I don't have anything to kill it reliably made me remove it from the deck. Karmic Guide simply belongs in this deck due to Survival of the Fittest. Marshal's Anthem is tutorable recursion, via Enlightened Tutor or Gamble, that can rebuild my entire board presence if I have a lot of mana (which happens in the majority of games)

I used to run Rings of Brighthearth until last week when I realised ... I don't have many permanents with activated abilities that I'd want to copy other than mayael and quicksilver amulet. So I removed it and the deck hasn't suffered from that yet.

Bloom Tender is FANTASTIC in mayael. It allows me to get explosive starts and be able to activate mayael on turn 3 ( turn 1 forest, mana crypt, green sun, tutor for bloom tender. Turn 2 any other land, tap tender and lands to drop mayael. Turn 3 activate mayael.) This happens more often than you'd think.

The ramp spells you mentioned are too slow. I used to play Skyshroud Claim but the 4CMC was too high so I replaced it with Sylvan Scrying.

36 lands has proven to be a good number because of all the duals, fetchlands, ramp and library manipulation. I'm never mana/color screwed with this deck.

I'd love to include the lands you suggested but I have very limited space for non-colored-mana producing lands. Which lands do you think I should take out?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 8:01 am 

If you use Mayael at the end of your opponent's turn, you should keep the creature Conquering Manticore steals until the end of your turn. Sun Titan is probably better though.

Worldspine Wurm has such a high cmc that it almost requires you to cheat it into play. I prefer creatures that I can reliably cast.

Foils are nice but I wouldn't let them dictate the quality of my card choices.

I didn't notice Survival of the Fittest. That makes Kozilek considerably better. I would still rather have Ulamog though. I use Primal Command and Praetor's Counsel for graveyard recursion.

Austere Command is the best of the sweepers but I still like some redundancy. I read an article recently which debates having tutors versus multiple copies of a card. It boils down to whether you want to have the same effect multiple tiimes and less relaibly, or less often and more reliably. I prefer the former.

You don't need Avacyn in order to board wipe. Typically my creatures are powerful enough that I only need 1 or 2 in play to have a superior board position. In fact relying on having her in play before casting a board wipe could be disastrous. Imagine your opponent boomerang's her in response to your wrath.

Conversely, have you considred Faith's Reward and Ghost Away to protect against wraths? Also doubles creature's your etb effects.

Funny. The randomness of Moldgraff is what attracted me to him. It's also my favorite thing about Mayael. I often don't know what I'm going to get with her but I know it's going to be good :) High Market would help with killing Moldgraf when you need to.

I mentioned Rings b/c I was considering it myself. But I looked at my deck and most of my activated abilities come from mayael and lands. I might still try it though.

Regarding Bloom Tender, it sounds like our decks have different objectives. My deck is more control and less agro so I don't play Mayael until mid to late game. Yours seems to be more aggresive. Nothing wrong with that. It just means our choices will be different.

Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are fine in my meta. Your meta must be faster than mine. Also, I wouldn't classify Sylvan Scrying as ramp. It doesn't bypass the 1 land per turn rule. I'd rather use Search for Tomorrow, Rampant Growth, or Sakura-Tribe Elder. Of course, I run 15 basics whereas you run 6.

I would think the fact that you have duals, shock lands, tap lands, pain lands, etc would enable you to have more lands that produce colorless mana, not less. Of the lands I suggested, I would add Kor Haven first. I would replace it with Rogue's Passage. How often do you use that? Don't most of your creatures have flying or trample anyway?

I'm guessing karoo lands are too slow for your meta too? I would run them over pain lands.

I considered Fires of Yavimaya before but decided I don't need to give my creatures haste. If that's what you want why not play Urabrask the Hidden instead? Too slow? Fires has the advantage of being recurred by Sun Titan I suppose.

Forgot to recommend Seedborn Muse. I don't typically like win more cards but she's nuts with Mayael. If your opponents are foolish enough to let her live they will soon regret it. I'd use her over Elvish Piper. You already have Quicksilver Amulet.

Your welcome for the feedback. Feel free to comment on my deck too.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 2:34 pm 

I already replaced Conquering Manticore with Sun Titan :D

Regarding the resurrection, I happened to have a foil lying around but really that card wants to be hymn of rebirth (haven't found a copy yet).

Tutors have worked perfectly well for me so far because they reduce the amount of randomness of the deck which can sometimes be very annoying.

I don't wrath only when Avacyn is out, but I try to make my wraths as one sided as possible. Having an aggro deck in a combo/control heavy meta forces me to dish out a lot of damage as fast as possible to multiple opponents. You can imagine that with 2 creatures on my side it's hard to kill 3 players who have access to blue/black/white even if they have no blockers.

I've tried Ghostway but not Faith's Reward. Ghostway proved to be very ineffective because it sat into my hand for too long before I could cast it. The situations where the card shines are too narrow to make room for it in this deck.

If you look in my list, I put Sylvan Scrying as tutor because I can tutor up any utility land I need. Could be Strip Mine for annoying lands or Homeward Path to get back my stuff or Horizon Canopy for some shenanigans with the recently included Sun Titan.

I don't run Ulamog because my deck would have trouble dealing with it in case of a bribery. This happened a lot in the past and I simply decided to replace it with Kozilek.

Rogue's Passage is a great utility land for this kind of deck. Making any creature unblockable for 4 is awesome. Try that on a blighsteel for example to make sure the opponent dies on the spot :D

Fires of Yavimaya is a far better option that urabrask imo because enchantments are a bit harder to kill than creatures from what i've seen in EDH. So the fires tend to stick for a while and they can be recured with Sun Titan like you mentioned which in turn will help me recur something else :D

Seedborn Muse has always felt like a win more card and it NEVER sticks around. And I mean NEVER. Sure I could maybe get one creature on each opponent's turn but Lurking Predators does a better job at that for only 1 more mana.

What my deck tries to accomplish is to drop big creatures VERY VERY VERY fast and attack with them VERY VERY VERY fast. That might explain all the tutors and mana accel/fetches. It's also very rare that I even bother playing Mayael. I only play her when my hand is crappy and I have nothing else to do.

I'll check out your deck, maybe I'll get some ideas to use for my own.
Thanks again

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 6:24 pm 

Celerus wrote:
If you use Mayael at the end of your opponent's turn, you should keep the creature Conquering Manticore steals until the end of your turn.

Not true. It wears off before your turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 6:30 pm 

Your metagame is so wildly different from any I've played in that I have trouble evaluating many of your choices. I'm used to cards like Mox Diamond, Elvish Piper, and Bloom Tender being terrible because they leave you down cards after the inevitable sweeper, but it sounds like your group is speed-heavy and answer-light. Nonetheless, here are my thoughts:

Given the speed and expense of your build, I would seriously consider Sneak Attack.

Mirri's Guile is a good Top effect #3, if you're into that.

Overrun effects may seems win-more, but Overwhelming Stampede or Triumph of the Hordes can turn a modest board into an instant win.

Spearbreak Behemoth isn't as good as Avacyn, but it can be surprisingly close. Consider it.

Eternal Dragon is bad landsearch and a bad creature. Are you really that desperate for mana fixing or a 5/5 flyer?

troacctid wrote:
Celerus wrote:
If you use Mayael at the end of your opponent's turn, you should keep the creature Conquering Manticore steals until the end of your turn.

Troacctid is correct. There's a different between "until end of turn" and "at end of turn, do blah."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 9:12 pm 

Swords to Plowshares instead of Path to Exile?

Windbrisk raptor is a beast and needs to stay.

Eternal Dragon strikes me as bad in those colours.

Have you considered Soul of the Harvest?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-29 10:57 pm 

green slime wrote:
Swords to Plowshares instead of Path to Exile?

Eternal Dragon strikes me as bad in those colours.

Have you considered Soul of the Harvest?

Swords to Plowshares makes the opponent gain life which is the opposite of what i'm trying to accomplish. Since we barely run any basic lands in my playgroup path to exile seemed to be the better option giving them a tapped basic land.

Eternal Dragon is a very useful creature. It not only serves as fatty but also as a library shuffler and a land fetcher. With my duals it gets me any color that I need and with the build it recursion, can help finish off someone. It also smoothes my curve and in case it's my main hand I'm always happy to keep it to never miss my land drops.

Soul of the Harvest is really really slow. You need to have it early game or else I found it useless and it was always very disappointing.

obsidiandice wrote:
Your metagame is so wildly different from any I've played in that I have trouble evaluating many of your choices. I'm used to cards like Mox Diamond, Elvish Piper, and Bloom Tender being terrible because they leave you down cards after the inevitable sweeper, but it sounds like your group is speed-heavy and answer-light. Nonetheless, here are my thoughts:

Given the speed and expense of your build, I would seriously consider Sneak Attack.

Mirri's Guile is a good Top effect #3, if you're into that.

Overrun effects may seems win-more, but Overwhelming Stampede or Triumph of the Hordes can turn a modest board into an instant win.

Spearbreak Behemoth isn't as good as Avacyn, but it can be surprisingly close. Consider it.

Eternal Dragon is bad landsearch and a bad creature. Are you really that desperate for mana fixing or a 5/5 flyer?

Sneak Attack and Mirri's Guile should definitely be in here. I simply don't have copies of them yet. I only got my survival of the fittest 4 days ago :D

Not really a fan of Triumph of the Hordes. Used to run it for a while and I always wished it would be something else when I drew it.

Spearbreaker used to do Avacyn's job before she came out. As you can see I don't have multiple copies of the exact same effect on different cards. With my tutors I can reliably search for what I need and recur it multiple times if needed.

Same explanation I gave to green slime

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-30 11:50 am 

obsidiandice wrote:
Your metagame is so wildly different from any I've played in that I have trouble evaluating many of your choices. I'm used to cards like Mox Diamond, Elvish Piper, and Bloom Tender being terrible because they leave you down cards after the inevitable sweeper, but it sounds like your group is speed-heavy and answer-light.
My thoughts exactly.

palyfight wrote:
obsidiandice wrote:
Not really a fan of Triumph of the Hordes. Used to run it for a while and I always wished it would be something else when I drew it.
I would have thought these two would be right up your alley. What about Savage Beating or Relentless Assault?

palyfight wrote:
Spearbreaker used to do Avacyn's job before she came out. As you can see I don't have multiple copies of the exact same effect on different cards. With my tutors I can reliably search for what I need and recur it multiple times if needed.

green slime wrote:
Why not use Blazing Archon instead?

Same explanation I gave to green slime
What happens when the one answer you have that you tutored for gets countered, removed, or foiled? Redundancy has its merits too.

As for ramp, what about Sakura-Tribe Elder, Three Visits, Darksteel Ingot, Coalition Relic, or Chromatic Lanter?

obsidiandice wrote:
troacctid wrote:
Celerus wrote:

Troacctid is correct. There's a different between "until end of turn" and "at end of turn, do blah."
Thanks for the clarification Troacctid and Obsidiance. I probably use the manticore then.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-30 12:48 pm 

Mox Diamond, Bloom Tender and Elvish Piper will inevitably get killed after a board wipe at some point. The same can be said about most creatures in the deck though. The reason these made it in the deck is for the speed they provide early game. With many tutors and library manipulation I'm able to drop bloom tender as early as turn 2 or 3 80% of the time. The chances that my opponents will have a board wipe in their hands and play it that early in game is very very low. And if they have spot removal, they prefer to wait and use it on more threatening creatures (and I think it makes sense). The fact that Mox Diamond makes me discard a land has never been an issue. It's basically ramp that allows me to get 2 colored mana turn 1. Also, don't thin that my meta doesn't run many removals. We run A LOT of removal. I have to deal with braids, smokestack, strip mine + crucible of worlds, multiple wraths effect, multiple spot removal and sacrifice effects and some copy/stealing effects and also some counterspells.

Savage Beating is really nice. What should I cut for it? :S

If my answers get countered, destroyed or shuffled into my deck I can always tutor them again or recur them. The only problem is if they get removed but that's not so easy to do. I have swiftfoot boots, stonecloaker, greater good and momentous fall and beast within to help prevent my creatures from being exiled. If they do manage to exile my answer, I simply try another way of dealing with the problem.

Darksteel Ingot, Coalition Relic and Chromatic Lantern are too slow at 3 mana to be effetive mana rocks. On turn 3 I most likely have 6+ mana and I have something better to play than a mana rock. Sakura-Tribe Elder only gets me basic lands and is only relevant early game. This was replaced by Eternal Dragon because it's just way better. Three Visits is just an overpriced Nature's Lore. I don't play it because I don't own one and I think buying a Nature's Lore for $20 is just stupid.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 3:07 am 

Another card to consider: Ancient Tomb, and to a lesser degree City of Traitors.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-31 4:40 am 

I'm trying to trade for an Ancient Tomb with my friend. That land would really help this deck to achieve explosive starts more often. When I get it, it will replace Kessig Wolf Run because it feels like a win more card especially since I took out Inkmoth Nexus after Primeval Titan's Banning.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-01 6:59 am 

What about Hall of the Bandit Lord or Boseiju, Who Shelters All?

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-01 7:05 am 

palyfight wrote:
I'm trying to trade for an Ancient Tomb with my friend. That land would really help this deck to achieve explosive starts more often. When I get it, it will replace Kessig Wolf Run because it feels like a win more card especially since I took out Inkmoth Nexus after Primeval Titan's Banning.

Fun Fact: I got my first kill with general damage from Mayael two weeks ago with Kessig Wolf Run, Slayers' Stronghold, and another player's Gisela Blade of Goldnight :twisted:

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile