Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-23 7:13 am

Post subject: Krenko's Mob *Updated*
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 11:51 am 

I updated the list, it now includes some infinite combo's. I am worried about not having enough answers to fliers. I haven't tested it out yet, and I am wary of the combos I put in it because people tend to gun for you if your deck has insta wins in my playgroup. But we will see.

I tried to make each card in the deck have some kind of impact on the game. The one thing I didn't want this deck to be was a barrel full of 1cmc 1/1 goblins that only worked well when the field already had goblins on it. For the most part I assume that my field is empty and that I need to create board advantage.

General: Krenko, Mob Boss

Win conditions (8):
Vicious Shadows
Eldrazi Monument
Insurrection
Coat of Arms
Savage Beating
kozilek, butcher of truth
eye of ugin
ulamog, the infinite gyre

Draw (8):
Wheel of Fortune
Chandra Ablaze
Goblin Matron
Skullclamp
Goblin Ringleader
Slate of Ancestry
Sensei's Divining Top
Moggcatcher
Reforge the Soul
scroll rack
gamble will be put in once I acquire one
rummaging goblin

Mana Ramp (7):
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun
sol ring
grim monolith
mana echoes 5 goblins in play including Krenko, means that krenko adds 45 mana
sword of feast and famine combos with eye of ugin

Targeted removal (11):
Helm of Possession
Goblin Grenadiers "Hey player #2 will you let me destroy player #3's problem creature and land?"
Grab the Reins Also lets me untap Krenko
Stingscourger
Steel Hellkite
Chaos Warp
Puppet Strings
Rite of Ruin
Tuktuk Scrapper
Rimescale dragon
comet storm
devil's play can't decide between comet storm and this
duplicant

Mass Removal (5):
All Is Dust
Oblivion Stone
Blasphemous Act
Skirk Fire Marshal
warp world can kill with valakut and lots of tokens
static orb I only need to untap Krenko to make profit

Token generators (3):
Chancellor of the Forgefelt like win more
Goblin Offensive never felt worth tapping out for
Empty the Warrens conditional
Siege-Gang Commander
Goblin Assault
Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
Goblin Warrens

Haste (5):
In the Web of War
Goblin Chieftain
Fervor
Goblin Warchief
Akroma's Memorial

On theme (5):
Goblin Chirurgeon
Goblin Lookout
Battle Squadron
Goblin Recruiter
Reckless One
Goblin Assassin
Goblin Welder see below for synergies
kiki-jiki, mirror breaker

Untap effects (4):
Thousand-Year Elixir
Seize the Day
Breath of Fury
Word of Seizing
Aggravated Assault this or thornbite staff?
Act of Aggression
unwilling recruit
zealous conscripts combos with kiki-jiki, mirror breaker
sword of the paruns

Good cards (6):
Wild Ricochet
Crucible of Worlds
Koth of the Hammer
Reiterate
Dolmen Gate
Chaosphere
thornbite staff combos with Goblin Chirurgeon
rings of brighthearth an insane card, more on it below

Lands (37):
21 Snow-Covered Mountain
Jund Panorama
Mystifying Maze
Blasted Landscape
Temple of the False God
Ghost Quarter
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Tectonic Edge
Kher Keep
Smoldering Crater
Forgotten Cave
Thawing Glaciers
Terminal Moraine
Naya Panorama
City of Shadows
Grixis Panorama
Tower of the Magistrate
Scrying Sheets

Card specific strategies-
eye of ugin: a phenomenal card which I only have recently realized. The ability to search up a threat late game when you have nothing good in hand is worth the missed land drop. This card fetches kozilek, butcher of truth, ulamog, the infinite gyre, Steel Hellkite, and duplicant

Sensei's Divining Top/scroll rack- excellent cards when you are able to shuffle your library somewhat consistently. Which I am able to do with the 11 shuffle effects in this deck, most being lands. They also combo well with scrying sheets.

Goblin Matron/Moggcatcher/gamble- each helps search for goblin chieftain/goblin warchief, Krenko, mob boss, goblin welder or the second part of a combo.

Rings of Brighthearth
This card went into my deck a while ago, it's just too good with too many cards not to be in there. You copy the effect and not the cost of any card that has a ":" in it. So This means that you can use each of these cards effects twice in one turn: eye of ugin, Chandra Ablaze, Sensei's Divining Top, Moggcatcher, scroll rack, rummaging goblin, grim monolith(infinite mana), aggravated assault, Helm of Possession, Puppet Strings, Rimescale dragon, Siege-Gang Commander, Goblin Warrens, Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician, Goblin Welder, kiki-jiki, mirror breaker, sword of the paruns, Koth of the Hammer, Jund Panorama, Mystifying Maze, Ghost Quarter, Tectonic Edge, Kher Keep, Thawing Glaciers, Terminal Moraine, Naya Panorama,
City of Shadows, Grixis Panorama, Scrying Sheets

Goblin welder- this guy not only screws over your opponents, but he also lets you swap out your sol ring for: Coat of Arms, Skullclamp, Sensei's Divining Top, scroll rack, Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Power, Caged Sun, grim monolith, sword of feast and famine, Helm of Possession, Steel Hellkite, Puppet Strings, duplicant, Oblivion Stone, static orb, Akroma's Memorial, sword of the paruns, Crucible of Worlds, thornbite staff, or rings of brighthearth.

Crucible of worlds/nonbasics-
Cycling a land to draw a card and then having the option to play that land later is good card advantage. The lands that search for mountains go well with Crucible, Valakut, and sensei's diving top/scroll rack. I hate crucible and strip mine since it seems too powerful, however I think Ghost quarter and tectonic edge are "fair" replacements for a similar effect.

snow lands-
The main reason to run snow lands is so that you are the only one who can benefit from extraplaner lens.Scrying sheets is a throw in for some nice card draw, and Rimescale dragon is one of the best tap down effects you can get in red.

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)
Karona the False God (Lets Play a Quick Game)
Jenara, Asura of War (Lands Matter)
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Last edited by Bruticus on 2012-Oct-05 1:59 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Krenko's Mob
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 12:36 pm 

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're going to name the deck/post Krenko's Mob, and not actually include that card! :x

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 12:48 pm 

lol, I guess I forgot to include other m13 cards besides krenko himself. The card krenko's mob isn't strong enough on it's own to warrant a space in my opinion. However, I will be making tokens that have Krenko's mob artwork on them. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to incorporate several tokens into the 3D version of Krenko, mob boss I am planning on creating.

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 12:52 pm 

I think some short-term token generation is really justified in Krenko. I'm talking about Krenko's Command, Dragon Fodder, Beetleback Chief and Mogg Alarm are all very potent.

Essentially, Krenko needs a pool of starting goblins to really start rolling, and getting a handful of goblin tokens will put you turns ahead of normal to reaching that unstoppable critical mass of goblins.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 1:22 pm 

I can see how such cards would work well. lets say I play Krenko and have one goblin out, once Krenko comes online I play goblin fodder and use krenko to make 4 more goblins (8 total) only 1 of which can attack. However krenko has to sit one full turn on the field.

My assumption is that having untap effects and haste effects will give the deck a bigger burst effect. I don't want my board to slowly grow just to die to a board wipe. Lets say I have Krenko and another goblin out again, but this time all my creatures have haste. In the same amount of turns I will have 8 goblins 7 of which can attack this time. Therefore I would rather have more haste effects than small goblin generating effects. The same is true for an untap effect. Generally an untap effect will give me more goblins than a spell which would only give me 2 more. Furthermore many of my untap effects have duel functionality, making the card more versatile than a small token effect.

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-09 5:39 pm 

Being able to use a card more than once really does mean something in EDH; you're right.

I just had a beef with the thread title :)

Red is always going to suffer the most from board wipes. Not much you can do about that without some artifact tricks. Mimic Vat helps.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-09 9:19 pm 

You're playing a goblin deck and you couldn't find room for Kiki-jiki? I could understand if you couldn't afford the ~$10 for him, but to say you couldn't find room I find that hard to believe. I'd say cut any card that's not a land or ramp and you're golden.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-16 5:12 pm 

Wandering through Gatherer the other day I discovered the interesting synergy between Krenko, Mob Boss and Sword of the Paruns. Sure, it's a bit of mana to get going...but the ability to churn out extra goblins for each 3 mana and have them Trumpet Blasted is pretty cool!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-16 6:23 pm 

How does this actually play for you?

It seems like it would have to be faster to be viable against more "standard" EDH decks. The lack of Sol Ring ruins your chance for those turn 2 Krenkos. No Lightning Greaves either since he is such a huge target for removal...

I have a Krenko deck that is completely different and a "true" goblin deck (in that every creature in it is a goblin or interacts specifically with them) that I may post at some point to give you some ideas.

One of my favorite "win conditions" is Warp World. With Valakut and 30 mountains it's an instant kill and you can easily cast it with 80+ tokens out so it hits every permanent in your deck...

Skirk Prospector is a necessity. Find room for it. It's one of the best "ramp" cards possible in a Krenko deck. Straight out swap it for any of the three ramp cards already in the deck because it is better than all of them. Brightstone Ritual is another necessity.

Jar of Eyeballs is INSANE with Krenko's level of token production. Red has terrible options for tutors and this can easily let you tutor for any card and then set up your entire deck in any order you want it after a wipe.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-17 1:49 am 

Why no Terramorphic Expanse or Evolving Wilds if you're going to play fetch lands with Crucible? You can also get Arid Mesa for less than $10 and Scalding Tarn for about $12-13. Scroll Rack is pretty awesome with repeatable fetches.

Also Thornbite Staff is awesome, it goes infinite with the Prospector.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-17 9:37 am 

I made a concept list a while back, and I'm just gathering the cards now.

Suggestions:

Arms Dealer
Goblin Sharpshooter
Spikeshot Elder
Basilisk Collar
Goblin King
Goblin Wizard
Hellrider
Braid of Fire
Goblin War Drums
Shared Animosity
Ruby Medallion
Horde of Boggarts
Gratuitous Violence

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-18 11:23 am 

There are some really good suggestions in this thread, thanks for all the input.

@Celerus- Kiki-jiki should go into the deck and if I owned one it would probably have found its way in somehow. I will look into what I can cut for it.

@Spekter- I have no idea how I missed the ridiculous synergy between Krenko, Mob Boss and Sword of the Paruns. This is another card that seems like a must have. A very exciting addition.

@Epsilon- I would be interested in seeing your deck list, I wanted mine to not just be standard goblin beats and be slightly different. It can be extremely fast, but obviously not turn 2 krenko fast, sometimes I am guilty of omitting cards that seem too powerful. That being said I may have to reconsider sol ring.

As for haste effects, I think I ended up cutting lighning greaves for fervor. Obviously I would like to run both and if I can find the room. I like warp world, but have had it backfire on me one too many times, might give it another shot, never considered it in conjunction with valakut.

skirk prospector and brightstone ritual were both painfully cut and again I would love to find room for them. The only thing about them that I do not care for is that they need an army of goblins to be good.

Jar of eyeballs looks like a lot of fun, but again I want most of my cards to be able to function without already having a lot of goblins in play.

@Wayne Viktorius- I personally hateevolving wilds and terramorphic in mono colored decks. I just don't like having lands that come into play tapped. Arid mesa and Scalding tarn hurt too much (from my pocket and in game), however you are right that all of those cards probably should go in. Scroll rack is a great idea, basically another sensei's divining top. I hesitate to add Thornbite staff because I don't want this deck to go infinite to win. That being said, its still a very viable option.

@The_Dr_B- Shared Animosity is such a good card, might replace coat of arms with that one, or have both.

New cards I am considering:
Kozilak, butcher of truth (as a win con)
eye of ugin (as a win con)
Mana Echoes (as mana ramp)

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-19 7:20 am 

While this board was down I found a great Krenko thread over on The Source.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/show ... lin-Tribal

Check it out for some fresh ideas.

Shoes for Industry!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Krenko's Mob *Updated*
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-05 2:07 pm 

updated my list. Opinions?

Some comments:

I want to put in aggravated assault, because not only can it untap my goblins for another beat down, but it can also be used at end of turn to get another use out of Krenko. It can also go infinite with sword of feast and famine. If I put it in I think I would replace thornbite staff which can go infinite with goblin Chirurgeon and general. I am not sure which one is better by itself, thus being the better pick for the card slot.

I am worried about fliers, Chaosphere definitely has helped, but is on shaky ground playability wise. After all it isn't an actual creature that can block.

I also need help to figure out where I can slip gamble into the deck.

I need some help figuring out which fireball effect is the best as well. I narrowed it down to devil's play and Comet Storm. They are both good with all the extra mana this deck produces, even infinite with rings of brighthearth + grim monolith. I have traditionally always liked comet storm for it's flexibility at instant speed and it's efficient multikicker ability, which can target multiple creatures and or players. However, Devil's play can be used twice, can also be gambled safely, and can be used again if countered the first time.

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Krenko's Mob *Updated*
AgePosted: 2012-Oct-07 3:37 am 

How does 1 life hurt you a lot in game?

Offline Profile