Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:47 am

Post subject: Thraxi-Sax: He's coming for you, and he's got his paintbrush
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-28 9:12 pm 

Hey peoples, Morgoth here posting his first crack ever at building an edh deck. i've been running this deck since a little bit before the commander decks came out, and since adding sol ring way back then, i've been playing with the local meta quite a lot. I'm always tinkering around with it, and trying to find the absolute best cards that synergize with my general, Thraximundar, so I'd thought I'd share it while also hopefully picking up new cards for ye old list. The idea is to sac creatz to grow thraxi so he can swing in for the big 21. I love making him swing with extra combat turns to kill outta nowhere, it fits into the whole assassin theme. secondary win condition involves a slow war of attrition, chumping and attacking with tokens and controlling the board state using utilities offered by sac effects. deck sometimes has a problem dealing with enchantments (look at the colors), but usually cards like capsize and engineered explosives keep them in check. minor zombie theme, grimgrin, havengul lich, and rooftop storm are all the proverbial nutz in this category, and also a minor vampire theme, sorin and blood tyrant obviously being very powerful. it needs more of an early game, so i recently added cards like viscera seer and nightscape familiar. Any suggestions are welcome, so without adue, the list:

General:
Thraximundar

Artifacts

Card Advantage (draw/recursion):
Mimic Vat (absolutely terrifies anyone who I play it against, its a lightning rod for removal)
Sensei's Divining Top (simply the greatest way to filter your deck)

Mana Fixing:
Darksteel Ingot
Dimir Signet
Izzet Signet
Rakdos Signet
Sol Ring
Armillary Sphere
Expedition Map (great for searching up utility lands)
Phyrexian Altar (this here card is SECERT TEKK, sooo many uses, combos well with all the tokens i make, gets a lot of mana for exsanguinate and pestilence, also you infinite combo with thraxi + gravecrawler + this. cannot recommend it enough)

Utility:
Engineered Explosives (for anything that really is giving you a pain in the ass)
Oblivion Stone (see comment above^)

Creatures

Card Advantage:
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed (just for kicks. no really)
Solemn Simulacrum (also mana fixing, great sac target)
Mulldrifter
Havengul Lich (by far one of the better reanimators in the game, and you can use activated abilities on call)
Nightscape Familiar

Sac Fodder:
Keiga, the Tide Star (creates more sac fodder when you need it, and is a threat in its own right)
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Puppeteer Clique
Gravecrawler (recurring fodder, also goes well with theme and combos with phyrexian altar)
Siege-Gang Commander (combos well with goblin assault)
Bloodline Keeper (its pretty hard to flip this guy, but i run enough vamps to make it feasible)

Threats:
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (generates extra fodder too)
Crosis, the Purger
Prince of Thralls (all your things are belongs to us)
Blood Tyrant (so, sooo delicious in multiplayer matches, you can't not run it)
Chancellor of the Forge (very nice token generator, combos well with endrek)
Grave Titan :mrgreen:
Skirsdag High Priest
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born (mini thrax :D)

Sac outlets:
Sadistic Hypnotist (tears apart hands like no other)
Fleshbag Marauder
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Viscera Seer

Enchantments

Card Advantage:
Phyrexian Arena
Rooftop Storm (one of the best cards ever for this deck)
Aggravated Assault (incredibly tasty with thrax, sort of a mini time warp for this deck)

Utility:
Shivan Harvest (nice lands, hope you have a crucible handy...)
Attrition
Pestilence (sorta clunky with tokens, but otherwise great in conjunction with a big threat or two... good combo with phyrexian altar, sac my board, wipe everyone else's, and drop a huge threat... also, GHAVE DECKS)
Grave Pact

Sac Fodder:
Bitterblossom (this card makes me giggle)
Goblin Assault
Volition Reins (I'll take your jace, kthanksbai)

Planeswalkers

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (good enchant removal)
Sorin Markov (second ability DESTROYS people)
Liliana Vess (better than increasing ambition!)
Karn Liberated (pesky enchantments...)

Instants & Sorceries

Card Advantage:
Savage Beating (i've killed more than one opponent with one of these entwined + thraxi)
Beacon of Unrest (good for getting your sol ring back)

Utility:
Diabolic Intent (sac effect!)
Profane Command
Memory Plunder (for all the times you need to borrow that DoJ/counter/piece of removal... at instant speed...)
Cruel Ultimatum (best spell in the game)
Grixis Charm (sometimes you just need an anthem effect)
Rite of Replication (i'll take a primeval titan... or six...)
Exsanguinate (i really love a good "X" Damage spell)
Demonic Tutor
Life's Finale (excuse me while i RAEP YOUR DECK)

Sac effects:
Grab the Reins (obviously the best of the threaten effects)
Slave of Bolas
Consuming Vapors

Lands

Utility:
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Shizo, Death's Storehouse (thraxi loves him some evasion)
Vesuva
Tolaria West (great for searching up a phyrexian tower)
Bojuka Bog
Mystifying Maze
Ghost Quarter
Kher Keep (great sac fodder)
Desolate Lighthouse (or the "loothouse" as i affectionately call it, works well with havengul lich)

Sac Outlets:
Miren, the Moaning Well
High Market
Phyrexian Tower

Mana Fixing:
Swamp/Mountain/Island (x6)
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Dimir Aqueduct
Mirrodin's Core
Temple of the False God
Vivid Marsh
Graven Cairns
Reflecting Pool
Sunken Ruins
Cascade Bluffs
Crumbling Necropolis
Akoum Refuge
Jwar Isle Refuge
Scalding Tarn
Creeping Tar Pit (man-lands are good, and you can sac them!)
Lavaclaw Reaches
Command Tower

Again, if you have any suggestions, i'd love to hear them. I'd also love to recommend my boy thraxi for anyone who wants to run a fun and incredibly synergistic deck. Thanks!

EDIT:
- Braid of fire, + izzet signet (braid... wasn't as good as i thought it was lol)
- Bonfire of the Damned, + oblivion stone (bonfire got sooo less useful without braid. oh well, oblivion stone is an excellent replacement when you need a one sided wrath and fast. good political card too, and takes care of enchants to boot)
- Reassembling Skeleton, + Gravecrawler (i might put reassembling skeleton back in, but see comment section for why gravecrawler made the cut :))
- Wrecking ball, + Phyrexian Altar (Wrecking ball is awesome, but i already blow up a lot of lands with shivan harvest, and if your opponents arent creatureless due to thraxi, you're not doing it right... phyrexian altar is great mana fixing, synergistic on sooo many levels... oh, and INFINITE COMBO BITCHEZZ [see below])

Last edited by morgoth424 on 2012-May-01 11:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thraxi-Sax: He's coming for you, and he's got his paintbrush
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 7:15 am 

What does the Vesuva usually copy? I know a lot of people run it so they can get two Cabal Coffers or copy another players. Also I think that Braid of Fire doesn't help you cast Thraximundar since you get the mana during your upkeep, not your main phase.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 12:38 pm 

A few suggestions for you, It That Betrays it may not be a zombie but he is crazy good with your general, Mortician Beetle is also crazy good in sac/grave pact based decks, also Butcher of Malakir and Geth, Lord of the Vault seem like good cards as butcher gives you another grave pact effect and Geth gives you access to stuff the opponents just sacrificed whilst adding more goodies for later on and hes a zombie too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 1:50 pm 

Thanks for commenting! Wayne, Vesuva is awesome because it can copy any land, ANY land, and whether its blowing up an eye of ugin (legend rule), or just copying someone's command tower, it's always been extremely useful. very good when used in conjunction with the bounce lands too. Also, braid of fire adds mana to my mana pool, which doesn't get dumped until my end step, so I can use it during my main phases.

I've run with It That Betrays, and I love the card, I just have a hard time deciding between him and prince of thralls. Prince of thralls is cheaper, on color, triggers on EVERYTHING going to the graveyard (not just sacs), and it can turn into a very fast clock with everyone taking 3 life. It that betrays on the other hand is more political, has annihilator, combos better with thraxi, your opponents don't have a choice, and comes on a bigger body. For now, i'm sticking with thralls, but It that betrays might make it back on the list sometime... i just would rather be casting thraxi :/

Mortician beetle is a fine card, but i prefer cards like viscera seer that are more consistent than taurean mauler effects. I had cards like bloodthrone vamp and fallen angel to begin with, but i find those cards underwhelming and bad politically.

butcher is just grave pact on a stick, and when i have that much mana, i would rather be casting thraxi. Geth is a card that i absolutely just don't like. I would compare him to Havengul lich, and i might try him, but i'm not too convinced on him. I like targeting my own graveyard with the lich and i usually find milling in edh to be very unfun. but, he is a cheap zombie, and it gets me creatures to sac, so i might try it out in the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 4:08 pm 

FYI: by the most current rules, mana empties from pools when moving from one phase to the next, unless a card specifically alters this, so the mana generated with Braid of Fire will empty when you move from upkeep to draw step.

Ref: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=122123

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 8:06 pm 

goddammit. thanks for that. well, i will probably take it out then, but it's still useful with stuff like exsanguinate. thanks for clearing that up... that blows :x

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-30 6:34 am 

Exsanguinate is a sorcery...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-30 10:07 am 

Braid of Fire is useful in only useful when you either have permanents you can dump mana into during your upkeep, or you're running a Leyline of Anticipation effect. Other than that, it's pretty useless.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-01 1:21 am 

thanks for helping me understand the card guys, do you have any other suggestions for the deck?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-01 2:07 pm 

I would tend to shy away from artifact-based mana, as one Akroma's Vengeance puts you at a distinct disadvantage. Maybe a Terramorphic Expanse or Evolving Wilds would help. Depending on your meta, Trailblazer's Boots might also be a good investment.

I'd recommend a good sac outlet for mana, like Ashnod's Altar or Phyrexian Altar to help you cast a ridiculous Exsanguinate, or even something like a Death Cloud to clear the board. I would also add more noncreature permanent removal, but since you don't have green, I'm not sure which cards to suggest.

Finally, I think Forbidden Orchard would fit in well with the deck, as it is mana fixing AND it gives you something to kill when Thraximundar comes stomping through.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-01 9:55 pm 

Forbidden Orchard would more than likely give an opponent a chump sac outlet (saving a creature you WANT to see sacced) most of the time.

Have you considered running any proliferate cards? I ran a minor -1/-1 counter theme in my Thrax deck and proliferated the heck out of everything.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-01 10:23 pm 

You may try combo General + Gravecrawler + Phyrexian Altar = very BIG General.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-01 10:55 pm 

Thanks everyone for commenting! i will respond to each in turn.

Jaz: Woah, thats weird, i have both terramorphic and evolving wilds in my deck, i don't know how i missed that! Also, i have 5 artifacts that produce mana, one of which is indestructible, so i think i will keep all of them, as a three color commander deck is tough to get all the mana i need. btw, its ironic you suggest the altars, i have them, and i'm constantly taking them out and putting them back in, they are good/bad depending on how many tokens i can scrape out, so they are sometimes dead on the board. i'm happy with the sac effects i have currently, but i still enjoy ramping into thraxi! personally, i don't really really rely on exsanguinate too much as a finisher, it just stalls for time when i'm low on life (although death by exsanguination has happen quite a few times for my opponents). Death cloud and forbidden orchard are interesting choices, i will try them out, but they aren't going in just yet. i like keeping the chumpers/sac fodder on my side of the field, where i control when they are sacked. plus, getting thraxi chumped by one would be annoying. Thanks again, great stuff!

cryogen: which card would you recommend? proliferate is indeed synergistic, but i like the sacrifice theme, and i don't want to detract too much from that.

Efimoff: You just blew my fuckin mind. infinite combos are sorta douchey imo, but i have to try that at least once, if just to troll my playgroup, plus moar zombehs! :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-01 11:31 pm 

also, jaz, in response to non-creature permanent removal, nicol bolas, planeswalker, karn liberated, shivan harvest, engineered explosives, oblivion stone, memory plunder, and grixis charm do a great job in that area. it could do with a chaos warp, but i haven't got my hands on any yet, and plus it might not be the best card any way. enchantments are a problem, but hey, this is a grixis deck, what you gonna do. little to no enchant removal. also, capsize might be a good alternative to grixis charm, but i like the flexibility of charm and i can already tutor up engineered explosives with tolaria west, liliana, and demonic tutor/diabolic intent. artifacts aren't really a problem in my meta, but my friend phil just put a tezzeret in his arcanis deck, so i think he might start to creep towards more artifacts. as of now though, its pretty efficient, the control aspect is just concerned with getting thraxi/other big threats out, it plays more like a midrange deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-02 10:06 am 

Contagion Engine will give you the most bang for your buck. Crumbling Ashes likes to kill stuff, and Necroskitter will give it right back to you. Midnight Banshee and Blowfly Infestation will make sure you've always got a way to spread the love around.

I had a pretty hefty proliferate theme in mine, so there might not be enough synergy to warrant adding it in there. I was also running stuff like Skeleton Ship, Carnifex Demon and Ichor Rats as my sole infect card, just for the lulz.

Offline Profile