Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:38 am

Post subject: Gisela, Blade of Goldnight/Voltron Control: JUDGMENT DAY
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-28 2:47 pm 

This is a competitive theme deck based on the end of the world as foretold in Revelations.

JUDGMENT DAY

Strategy
Use "Tithing" spells and the deck's "Holy Relics" to ramp into Gisela. Break the "Seals" of God's wrath to the sound of blaring angel "Trumpets" to control the board. Call upon the First Horseman, "Conquest", to equip Gisela with "Flaming Swords" and don her in "Angelic Raiments" of protection. Swing for the win.

GENERAL
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

PROPHETIC VISIONS
Mind's Eye

THE SON OF MAN
Sun Titan

"HIS WORD IS LIKE FIRE, LIKE A HAMMER THAT BREAKS THE ROCK"
Sunforger

THE HEAVENLY HOST
Entreat the Angels

GLORIA PATRI
Glory

"THE GREAT DAY OF THE LORD IS NEAR, IT IS NEAR AND EXCEEDING SWIFT"
Anger

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE
Stonehewer Giant (Conquest)
Nobilis of War (War)
Ajani Vengeant (Famine)
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage (Death)

"BEHOLD! A GREAT RED DRAGON"
Knollspine Dragon

7 ARCHANGELS
Baneslayer Angel (St. Michael, Dragonslayer)
Akroma, Angel of Wrath (Raguel, God's Vengeance)
Linvala, Keeper of Silence (Seraphiel, the Silent)
Adarkar Valkyrie (Gabriel, Angel of Resurrection)
Sunblast Angel (Uriel, Angel of Death)
Avacyn, Angel of Hope (Ramiel, Angel of Hope)
Deathless Angel (Raphael, Angel of Healing)

"A SCROLL, SEALED WITH SEVEN SEALS"
Scroll Rack

7 SEALS
Wrath of God
Razia's Purification
Fault Line
Rolling Earthquake
Comet Storm
Destructive Force
Inferno

7 TRUMPETS
Angel's Trumpet
Condemn
Path to Exile
Banishing Stroke
Prison Term
Swords to Plowshares
Word of Seizing

FLAMING SWORDS
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Vengeance
Quietus Spike
Fireshrieker
Sword of War and Peace

ANGELIC RAIMENTS
Lightning Greaves
Whispersilk Cloak
Darksteel Plate
Swiftfoot Boots
Helm of Kaldra
Mask of Avacyn

SIGNS AND WONDERS
Steelshaper's Gift
Enlightened Tutor
Return to Dust

THE RIGHTEOUS
True Conviction

THE RAPTURE
Ghostway

THOSE LEFT BEHIND
Faithless Looting

"THEY ARE CHOKED BY LIFE'S WORRIES,
AND THEY DO NOT MATURE"
Stranglehold

BORN AGAIN
Reforge the Soul

"THE GRAVE SHALL GIVE UP HER DEAD"
Tormod's Crypt
Resurrection

ARMAGEDDON, THE LAST BATTLE
World at War

HOLY RELICS
Everflowing Chalice
Coalition Relic
Gilded Lotus
Mana Vault
Sol Ring

TITHING
Tithe
Land Tax
Gift of Estates

"AND I, JOHN, SAW THE HOLY CITY, NEW JERUSALEM,
COMING DOWN FROM GOD OUT OF HEAVEN"
Weathered Wayfarer

STREETS PAVED WITH GOLD (35)
Command Tower
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Mistveil Plains
13 Plains
1 Spinerock Knoll
7 Mountain
Plateau
Clifftop Retreat
Sacred Foundry
Battlefield Forge
Boros Garrison
Rugged Prairie
Arid Mesa
Wasteland
Kor Haven
Slayers' Stronghold
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

By the Numbers
6 Card Draw: Mind's Eye, Scroll Rack, Reforge the Soul, Knollspine, SoF&I, Faithless Looting

8 Tutors: Sunforger, Stonehewer Giant, Steelshaper's Gift, Enlightened, Tithe, Land Tax, Gift of Estates, Wayfarer

3 Recursion: Sun Titan, Adarkar Valkyrie, Emeria

4 "I Win!" cards: Gisela, Whispersilk Cloak, Razia's Purification, Sunhome

6 Burn: Ajani Vengeant, Fault Line, E-quake, Comet Storm, D-Force, Inferno

9 Creature Control: Jaya, Sunblast, Wrath, Condemn, P2E, Banishing Stroke, Prison Term, S2P, Kor Haven

1 Artifact/Enchantment Control: Return to Dust

1 Land Control: Wasteland

1 Graveyard Control: Tormod's Crypt

5 Non-land Mana: Everflowing Chalice, Gilded Lotus, Mana Vault, Sol Ring, Coalition Relic

35 Mana-producing lands
15 Creatures
21 Artifacts
12 Equipment
30 White cards
18 White permanents*
6 Red permanents**
16 Red cards
24 White mana sources
17 Red mana sources
*counting Entreat the Angels and Glory
**counting Anger

Casting Costs:
All Spells
0cc: 2 (1)
1cc: 11
2cc: 5 (6)
3cc: 14
4cc: 7 (8)
5cc: 9
6cc: 7 (8)
7cc: 3
8cc: 2 (3)
Xcc: 4
Note: (Everflowing Chalice)

Creature Spells
1cc: 1
3cc: 1
4cc: 2
5cc: 4
6cc: 4
7cc: 1
8cc: 2

Synergies
Gisela + Glory (Glory + anything, really)
Gisela + Stonehewer Giant
Gisela/Avacyn/Deathless/Valkyrie + Earthquake/Fault Line/Destructive Force/Inferno/Jaya/World at War
Gisela + Comet Storm/Ajani Vengeant/True Conviction
Gisela + Whispersilk Cloak/Quietus Spike/Fireshrieker/SoWP/Sunhome

Avacyn + Sunblast Angel/Wrath of God/Angel's Trumpet

Sun Titan + Jaya/Prison Term/Land Tax/Crypt/almost all artifacts

Wrath of God + Ghostway

Razia's Purification + Sun Titan/Valkyrie

Scroll Rack + Land Tax/Tithe/Gift of Estates

Sunforger + Condemn/P2E/S2P/Tithe/Enlightened Tutor/R2D/Ghostway

Spinerock Knoll + half the angels

Discarded Choices
"John the Revelator"
Thraben Doomsayer/False Prophet/Serra Ascendant/Mad Prophet: Doomsayer is "terribly inefficient." Thematically speaking, False Prophet would make for a great addition. However, I'd like to get the most out of Avacyn, Angel of Hope whenever she's on the battlefield and exiling all creatures in play doesn't quite accomplish that. Without True Conviction or Baneslayer, I'd have to draw Serra Ascendant early on for the bonus. Replaced with Weathered Wayfarer as "John the Revelator".

The Son of Man
Gideon Jura/Reveillark: Gideon's "not terribly efficient" in the deck and Reveillark isn't useful with the deck's creatures. Replaced with Sun Titan.

The Heavenly Host
Luminarch Ascension: I'd rather pay 7 for Entreat the Angels and definitely get two angels (barring countermagic, of course) rather than hope my enchantment doesn't get blown up going around the table.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Stoneforge Mystic: More fragile than Stonehewer Giant and less useful in this deck. "Conquest", the 1st Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Stonehewer Giant.
Gratuitous Violence/Avatar of Slaughter: It's not likely the deck will have a horde of creatures in play. All the more reason to run a creature over an enchantment, I think, especially since about half the deck's creatures are for utility anyway. However, the Avatar is dangerous without Gisela on the field. "War", the 2nd Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Nobilis of War.
Mageta the Lion/Scourge of Kher Ridges: Mageta requires too much discard. Replaced with Jaya, which Sun Titan recurs. Jaya comes down several turns before the Scourge of Kher Ridges and, in a deck with only 36 lands, I can activate her ability before I can reliably cast the Scourge. To top it off, she hits all creatures, flying or otherwise. Finally, for flavor reasons, the deck only runs one dragon, Knollspine. "Death", the 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Jaya Ballard.

7 Archangels
Reya/Iona/Radiant/red Akroma/Basandra/Razia/Indomitable/Platinum: Reya and Iona cost too much mana; the deck doesn't run enough creatures to pump Radiant; one Akroma is enough, thank you; I happen to like combat tricks; Razia is too expensive for what she does; not enough artifacts; irrelevant without Indomitable. The deck's seven archangels were chosen based on a need for diverse mana costs, flavor, and synergy with Gisela's abilities.

7 Seals
Rout/Day of Judgment/Terminus/Hallowed Burial/Catastrophe/Austere Command/Bonfire of the Damned/Akroma's Vengeance/Obliterate/Devastation/Chain Reaction/Blasphemous Act: Wrath of God stays in. It's the cheapest board sweep the deck has and I can cast it without ramping before turn seven relatively easily, unlike Rout. DoJ is "strictly worse" than WoG. Terminus/Hallowed Burial, Catastrophe, and Austere Command don't interact as well with Gisela like Fault Line and Earthquake do. Inferno affects more of the board than Bonfire. I'm running enough artifacts to not want to bother with Vengeance or Obliterate. Difficult to abuse Devastation without Avacyn in play and no synergy with Gisela. Chain Reaction/Blasphemous Act are both too conditional and neither fit the deck's theme.

DoJ==>Rout==>Razia's Purification
Terminus/Hallowed Burial==>Catastrophe==>Fault Line
Austere Command==>Earthquake
Bonfire of the Damned==>Inferno

Brightflame/Pyrohemia: I tended to opt for cards that didn't depend on having Gisela in play to maximize their usefulness.

7 Trumpets
Thunderous Wrath: "Inefficient." Dropped for Angel's Trumpet for obvious flavorful reasons.
Oblation: Dropped for Swords to Plowshares. Banishing Stroke seems like a better choice, regardless.
Cessation/Faith's Fetters/O-Ring: Dropped for Prison Term, which is both flavorful and effective.
Evangelize/Heat Shimmer: The first one is "heavily costed in colors that can't ramp well, and is super color intensive. Sorcery speed as well." Shimmer doesn't fit deck's theme. Replaced with Word of Seizing.

Flaming Swords & Angelic Raiments
Champion's Helm: Mask of Avacyn works with the deck's non-legendary creatures.
Moonsilver Spear: High equip cost.
Skullclamp: Not useful in this deck. Running Mind's Eye instead.
Sword/Shield of Kaldra: Not recursible with Sun Titan.
Sword of Feast and Famine: Doesn't combo with Gisela's abilities like F&I and W&P.

The Resurrection
Defy Death/Miraculous Recovery/Karmic Guide: Resurrection is more flavorful. Also, the FNM art is amazeballs! :mrgreen:

Armageddon, the Last Battle
Aggravated Assault/Insurrection/Waves of Aggression: It only costs five mana to get a total of four combat phases out of World at War, and its castable well before Insurrection. It's difficult for the deck to cast Assault and activate it the same turn. "Armageddon", the final battle slot, is currently filled by World at War.

Holy Relics
Armillary Sphere: Dropped for Scroll Rack/Land Tax combo.
Darksteel Ingot: Dropped for Mana Vault.

Streets Paved With Gold
Rupture Spire: "Downright awful."

Miscellaneous
Valor: Trumped by Glory and usually unnecessary with Gisela.
Preacher: Too campy.
Brilliant Halo/Runed Halo: Brilliant was for flavor only and pales next to the deck's equipment, whereas Runed is too narrow.
Darksteel Forge: Dropped along with Platinum Angel.
Sensei's Divining Top: I think the deck benefits more from card draw. Plus, I'm still running Scroll Rack to help out with top deck manipulation.

Last edited by ChimericPisces on 2012-May-14 12:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gisela, Blade of Goldnight/Voltron Control: JUDGMENT DAY
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 7:22 am 

I would try to fit Rout into your seven seals. An instant speed wrath is tremendously powerful. Also Mistveil Plains works well with Sunforger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 10:57 am 

Wayne Viktorius wrote:
I would try to fit Rout into your seven seals. An instant speed wrath is tremendously powerful. Also Mistveil Plains works well with Sunforger.

I agree that wrathing on the opponent's turn would free up my mana for other things. I also concur that the Mistveil-Sunforger interaction is a good one.

How would you make room?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 12:46 pm 

Personally I'd get rid of Destructive Force since it doesn't kill the biggest threats and destroys a bunch of lands. Though if you want that effects I'd take out Wrath since Rout is one more mana when played as a sorcery. However since your deck is named Judgement Day, why is there no Day of Judgement (I concede in this deck it is strictly worse than WOG since you have no regenerators of your own)? Also Brightflame can be completely ridiculous too if you hit an Avenger of Zenkidar or something that was Right of Replication-ed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 1:12 pm 

I really like the format of the post, and the deck has a lot of flavor. Good job on that front :)

Some comments on your choices:
Jaya Ballard: She's just throwing cards away in your deck. How about Scourge of Kher Ridges as a replacement?
Ghostway: I don't see many ETB abilities on your creatures... Not sure what to replace it with though. I guess you want to use it to dodge wraths.
Nobilis of War: His ability is best used with a horde of creatures, which you probably won't have. I'd replace him with something like Gratuitous Violence, which helps you no matter how many creatures you have (and it's x4 damage with Gisela :D).
Mask of Avacyn: weak compared to Champion's Helm.
World at War: Good card, but consider Waves of Aggression, which you can play over and over again, even in the same turn if you want.

Another point: You can't use Comet Storm or Fault Line with Sunforger, since when you cast a spell without paying its mana cost, X = 0.

If you're interested, my own take on Gisela is quite different. I focus more on getting a horde of creatures out along with some ways to boost them; Gisela is mainly used to multiply the deck's damage output. You can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11812

Anyway, Gisela rocks, let's keep trying to break her wide open 8)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 4:29 pm 

Wayne Viktorius wrote:
Personally I'd get rid of Destructive Force since it doesn't kill the biggest threats and destroys a bunch of lands.
I dunno. Gisela doubles the damage against your opponents and their creatures, and she survives it (because she halves the damage against you).

As plays go, it's a fairly powerful combo. Though, many people have that land destruction taboo, so there's that.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 6:31 pm 

SicariusV wrote:
I really like the format of the post, and the deck has a lot of flavor. Good job on that front :)

Thank you! :D

SicariusV wrote:
Some comments on your choices:
Jaya Ballard: She's just throwing cards away in your deck. How about Scourge of Kher Ridges as a replacement?

I think it depends on how one frames her ability: I look at it as transforming cards like Tormod's Crypt or basic lands into the removal tools I might need at the time, be it Incinerate or Inferno. Plus, she plays well with my both my Incarnations and with Sun Titan in play, her second ability is essentially:

{1}{R}, {T}, Discard a card: Target opponent chooses a creature he or she controls. Sun Titan fights the chosen creature or deals 6 damage to target opponent. You may return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. Jaya Ballard, Task Mage deals 3 damage to target creature or player. A creature dealt damage this way can't be regenerated this turn.

Jaya also comes down several turns before the Scourge and, in a deck with only 36 lands, I can activate her ability before I can reliably cast the Scourge. To top it off, she hits all creatures, flying or otherwise.

SicariusV wrote:
Ghostway: I don't see many ETB abilities on your creatures... Not sure what to replace it with though. I guess you want to use it to dodge wraths.

I can dodge bounce spells, too, and possibly cast Ghostway in response to my own Wrath of God.

SicariusV wrote:
Nobilis of War: His ability is best used with a horde of creatures, which you probably won't have. I'd replace him with something like Gratuitous Violence, which helps you no matter how many creatures you have (and it's x4 damage with Gisela :D).

You're completely right about me not likely having a horde of creatures in play. All the more reason to run a creature over an enchantment, I think, especially since about half the deck's creatures are for utility anyway. I don't foresee attacking/blocking with Jaya or Mad Prophet too often, and both Glory and Anger will hopefully be in my graveyard most of the time.

SicariusV wrote:
Mask of Avacyn: weak compared to Champion's Helm.

My non-legendary creatures are inclined to disagree. :wink:

SicariusV wrote:
World at War: Good card, but consider Waves of Aggression, which you can play over and over again, even in the same turn if you want.

Besides the fact that I doubt this deck will often see ten mana to play Waves twice in a turn, it only costs me five mana to get a total of four combat phases out of World at War.

SicariusV wrote:
Another point: You can't use Comet Storm or Fault Line with Sunforger, since when you cast a spell without paying its mana cost, X = 0.

Thanks for catching that! :oops:

SicariusV wrote:
If you're interested, my own take on Gisela is quite different. I focus more on getting a horde of creatures out along with some ways to boost them; Gisela is mainly used to multiply the deck's damage output. You can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11812

I like your build a lot! In a few weeks, I'm going to try my hand at building a RW Humans deck helmed by Gisela.

SicariusV wrote:
Anyway, Gisela rocks, let's keep trying to break her wide open 8)

So dirty! :P

Wayne Viktorius wrote:
…I'd take out Wrath since Rout is one more mana when played as a sorcery. However since your deck is named Judgement Day, why is there no Day of Judgement (I concede in this deck it is strictly worse than WOG since you have no regenerators of your own)? Also Brightflame can be completely ridiculous too if you hit an Avenger of Zenkidar or something that was Right of Replication-ed.

Sinis wrote:
Wayne Viktorius wrote:
Personally I'd get rid of Destructive Force since it doesn't kill the biggest threats and destroys a bunch of lands.
I dunno. Gisela doubles the damage against your opponents and their creatures, and she survives it (because she halves the damage against you).

As plays go, it's a fairly powerful combo. Though, many people have that land destruction taboo, so there's that.

Wrath of God stays in. It's the cheapest board sweep the deck has and I can cast it without ramping before turn seven relatively easily, unlike Rout. Day of Judgment was originally in the deck before getting replaced by Rout, actually. The slot is currently filled by Razia's Purification. Destructive Force is insane, INSANE I tell you! :twisted: As for Brightflame, I tended to opt for cards that didn't depend on having Gisela in play to maximize their usefulness, like Pyrohemia or Brightflame.

Thoughts? Do y'all think I have enough white permanents to get any use out of Mistveil Plains? If so, what are three options for a land I could consider removing to make room? Finally, do I have enough Sunforger targets to make it worthwhile?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 8:29 pm 

ChimericPisces wrote:
Thoughts? Do y'all think I have enough white permanents to get any use out of Mistveil Plains? If so, what are three options for a land I could consider removing to make room? Finally, do I have enough Sunforger targets to make it worthwhile?

Sunforger doesn't need that many targets in my experience. 4-5 targets for it is plenty, as long as you don't mind having these spells in your hand occasionally. If you think you need more, I'd suggest Orim's Thunder (you can pay the kicker when you cast for free :) ) and Wild Ricochet.

Mistveil Plains to me is an obvious addition, since it has the type Plains (so you can get it with Knight of the White Orchid or Tithe or even Kor Cartographer) and helps so much with Sunforger it's ridiculous. Sure, sometimes you won't be able to use it, but at worst it's a Plains that comes into play tapped...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 10:13 pm 

SicariusV wrote:
ChimericPisces wrote:

Sunforger doesn't need that many targets in my experience. 4-5 targets for it is plenty, as long as you don't mind having these spells in your hand occasionally. If you think you need more, I'd suggest Orim's Thunder (you can pay the kicker when you cast for free :) ) and Wild Ricochet.

Mistveil Plains to me is an obvious addition, since it has the type Plains (so you can get it with Knight of the White Orchid or Tithe or even Kor Cartographer) and helps so much with Sunforger it's ridiculous. Sure, sometimes you won't be able to use it, but at worst it's a Plains that comes into play tapped...

I wish I had room for O's Thunder or Ricochet…

What do you think I should remove for Mistveil: a basic Plains, Evolving Wilds, Shimmering Grotto, or…?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gisela Voltron Control: NOW WITH BOWLS!
AgePosted: 2012-May-07 1:18 pm 

This is a competitive theme deck based on the end of the world as foretold in Revelations. The following version is more flavorful than the OP, including the Seven Bowls, represented by game-changing—or game-ending with Gisela, Blade of Goldnight in play—instants searchable with Sunforger.

The differences are as follows:
-Mask of Avacyn
-Darksteel Plate
-Fireshrieker
-Helm of Kaldra
-Quietus Spike
-Mad Prophet
-1 Mountain

+Reverberate
+Seething Song
+Firestorm
+Double Cleave
+Soul's Fire
+Order // Chaos
+Overblaze

JUDGMENT DAY

Strategy
Use "Tithing" spells and the deck's "Holy Relics" to ramp into Gisela. Break the "Seals" of God's wrath to the sound of blaring angel "Trumpets" to control the board. Call upon the First Horseman, "Conquest", to equip Gisela with "Flaming Swords" and don her in "Angelic Raiments" of protection. Swing for the win.

GENERAL
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

PROPHETIC VISIONS
Mind's Eye

THE SON OF MAN
Sun Titan

"HIS WORD IS LIKE FIRE, LIKE A HAMMER THAT BREAKS THE ROCK"
Sunforger

THE HEAVENLY HOST
Entreat the Angels

GLORIA PATRI
Glory

"THE GREAT DAY OF THE LORD IS NEAR, IT IS NEAR AND EXCEEDING SWIFT"
Anger

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE
Stonehewer Giant (Conquest)
Nobilis of War (War)
Ajani Vengeant (Famine)
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage (Death)

"BEHOLD! A GREAT RED DRAGON"
Knollspine Dragon

7 ARCHANGELS
Baneslayer Angel (St. Michael, Dragonslayer)
Akroma, Angel of Wrath (Raguel, God's Vengeance)
Linvala, Keeper of Silence (Seraphiel, the Silent)
Adarkar Valkyrie (Gabriel, Angel of Resurrection)
Sunblast Angel (Uriel, Angel of Death)
Avacyn, Angel of Hope (Ramiel, Angel of Hope)
Deathless Angel (Raphael, Angel of Healing)

"A SCROLL, SEALED WITH SEVEN SEALS"
Scroll Rack

7 SEALS
Wrath of God
Razia's Purification
Fault Line
Earthquake
Comet Storm
Destructive Force
Inferno

7 TRUMPETS
Angel's Trumpet
Condemn
Path to Exile
Banishing Stroke
Prison Term
Swords to Plowshares
Word of Seizing

7 BOWLS
Reverberate
Seething Song
Firestorm
Double Cleave
Soul's Fire
Order // Chaos
Overblaze

FLAMING SWORDS
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Vengeance
Sword of War and Peace

ANGELIC RAIMENTS
Lightning Greaves
Whispersilk Cloak
Swiftfoot Boots

SIGNS AND WONDERS
Steelshaper's Gift
Enlightened Tutor
Return to Dust

THE RIGHTEOUS
True Conviction

THE RAPTURE
Ghostway

THOSE LEFT BEHIND
Faithless Looting

BORN AGAIN
Reforge the Soul

"THE GRAVE SHALL GIVE UP HER DEAD"
Tormod's Crypt
Resurrection

ARMAGEDDON, THE LAST BATTLE
World at War

HOLY RELICS
Everflowing Chalice
Gilded Lotus
Mana Vault
Sol Ring
Coalition Relic

TITHING
Tithe
Land Tax
Gift of Estates

STREETS PAVED WITH GOLD (35)
Evolving Wilds
Shimmering Grotto
Command Tower
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Mistveil Plains
13 Plains
1 Spinerock Knoll
7 Mountain
Clifftop Retreat
Sacred Foundry
Battlefield Forge
Boros Garrison
Rugged Prairie
Tectonic Edge
Kor Haven
Slayers' Stronghold
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

By the Numbers
6 Card Draw: Mind's Eye, Scroll Rack, Reforge the Soul, Knollspine, SoF&I, Faithless Looting

7 Tutors: Sunforger, Stonehewer Giant, Steelshaper's Gift, Enlightened, Tithe, Land Tax, Gift of Estates

3 Recursion: Sun Titan, Adarkar Valkyrie, Emeria

4 "I Win!" cards: Gisela, Whispersilk Cloak, Razia's Purification, Sunhome

8 Burn: Ajani Vengeant, Fault Line, E-quake, Comet Storm, D-Force, Inferno, Firestorm, Soul's Fire

9 Creature Control: Jaya, Sunblast, Wrath, Condemn, P2E, Banishing Stroke, Prison Term, S2P, Kor Haven

1 Artifact/Enchantment Control: Return to Dust

1 Land Control: Tectonic Edge

1 Graveyard Control: Tormod's Crypt

5 Non-land Mana: Everflowing Chalice, Gilded Lotus, Mana Vault, Sol Ring, Coalition Relic

35 Mana-producing lands
15 Creatures
16 Artifacts
7 Equipment
31 White cards
17 White permanents*
5 Red permanents**
22 Red cards
24 White mana sources
18 Red mana sources***
*counting Entreat the Angels and Glory
**counting Anger
***counting Seething Song

Casting Costs:
All Spells
0cc: 2 (1)
1cc: 11
2cc: 6 (7)
3cc: 13
4cc: 7 (8)
5cc: 9
6cc: 7 (8)
7cc: 3
8cc: 2 (3)
Xcc: 4
Note: (Everflowing Chalice)

Creature Spells
3cc: 1
4cc: 3
5cc: 4
6cc: 4
7cc: 1
8cc: 2

Synergies
Gisela + Glory (Glory + anything, really)
Gisela + Stonehewer Giant
Gisela/Avacyn/Deathless/Valkyrie + Earthquake/Fault Line/Destructive Force/Inferno/Jaya/World at War
Gisela + Comet Storm/Ajani Vengeant/True Conviction/Firestorm/Soul's Fire
Gisela + Whispersilk Cloak/SoWP/Sunhome/Double Cleave/Chaos/Overblaze

Avacyn + Sunblast Angel/Wrath of God/Angel's Trumpet

Sun Titan + Jaya/Prison Term/Land Tax/Crypt/almost all artifacts

Wrath of God + Ghostway

Razia's Purification + Sun Titan/Valkyrie

Reverberate + most of the Seals, Trumpets, & Bowls/all the tutors/Looting/Resurrection/R2D/World at War/Entreat

Scroll Rack/Firestorm + Land Tax/Tithe/Gift of Estates

Sunforger + Condemn/P2E/S2P/Tithe/Enlightened Tutor/R2D/Ghostway/all of the Bowls

Spinerock Knoll + half the angels

Discarded Choices
"John the Revelator"
Thraben Doomsayer/False Prophet/Serra Ascendant/Mad Prophet: Doomsayer is "terribly inefficient." Thematically speaking, False Prophet would make for a great addition. However, I'd like to get the most out of Avacyn, Angel of Hope whenever she's on the battlefield and exiling all creatures in play doesn't quite accomplish that. Without True Conviction or Baneslayer, I'd have to draw Serra Ascendant early on for the bonus. Removed Mad Prophet as "John the Revelator" to make room for the Seven Bowls. Mad Prophet not incredibly synergistic with deck.

The Son of Man
Gideon Jura/Reveillark: Gideon's "not terribly efficient" in the deck and Reveillark isn't useful with the deck's creatures. Replaced with Sun Titan.

The Heavenly Host
Luminarch Ascension: I'd rather pay 7 for Entreat the Angels and definitely get two angels (barring countermagic, of course) rather than hope my enchantment doesn't get blown up going around the table.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Stoneforge Mystic: More fragile than Stonehewer Giant and less useful in this deck. "Conquest", the 1st Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Stonehewer Giant.
Gratuitous Violence/Avatar of Slaughter: It's not likely the deck will have a horde of creatures in play. All the more reason to run a creature over an enchantment, I think, especially since about half the deck's creatures are for utility anyway. However, the Avatar is dangerous without Gisela on the field. "War", the 2nd Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Nobilis of War.
Mageta the Lion/Scourge of Kher Ridges: Mageta requires too much discard. Replaced with Jaya, which Sun Titan recurs. Jaya comes down several turns before the Scourge of Kher Ridges and, in a deck with only 36 lands, I can activate her ability before I can reliably cast the Scourge. To top it off, she hits all creatures, flying or otherwise. Finally, for flavor reasons, the deck only runs one dragon, Knollspine. "Death", the 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Jaya Ballard.

7 Archangels
Reya/Iona/Radiant/red Akroma/Basandra/Razia/Indomitable/Platinum: Reya and Iona cost too much mana; the deck doesn't run enough creatures to pump Radiant; one Akroma is enough, thank you; I happen to like combat tricks; Razia is too expensive for what she does; not enough artifacts; irrelevant without Indomitable. The deck's seven archangels were chosen based on a need for diverse mana costs, flavor, and synergy with Gisela's abilities.

7 Seals
Rout/Day of Judgment/Terminus/Hallowed Burial/Catastrophe/Austere Command/Bonfire of the Damned/Akroma's Vengeance/Obliterate/Devastation/Chain Reaction/Blasphemous Act: Wrath of God stays in. It's the cheapest board sweep the deck has and I can cast it without ramping before turn seven relatively easily, unlike Rout. DoJ is "strictly worse" than WoG. Terminus/Hallowed Burial, Catastrophe, and Austere Command don't interact as well with Gisela like Fault Line and Earthquake do. Inferno affects more of the board than Bonfire. I'm running enough artifacts to not want to bother with Vengeance or Obliterate. Difficult to abuse Devastation without Avacyn in play and no synergy with Gisela. Chain Reaction/Blasphemous Act are both too conditional and neither fit the deck's theme.

DoJ==>Rout==>Razia's Purification
Terminus/Hallowed Burial==>Catastrophe==>Fault Line
Austere Command==>Earthquake
Bonfire of the Damned==>Inferno

Brightflame/Pyrohemia: I tended to opt for cards that didn't depend on having Gisela in play to maximize their usefulness.

7 Trumpets
Thunderous Wrath: "Inefficient." Dropped for Angel's Trumpet for obvious flavorful reasons.
Oblation: Dropped for Swords to Plowshares. Banishing Stroke seems like a better choice, regardless.
Cessation/Faith's Fetters/O-Ring: Dropped for Prison Term, which is both flavorful and effective.
Evangelize/Heat Shimmer: The first one is "heavily costed in colors that can't ramp well, and is super color intensive. Sorcery speed as well." Shimmer doesn't fit deck's theme. Replaced with Word of Seizing.

Flaming Swords & Angelic Raiments
Champion's Helm: Mask of Avacyn works with the deck's non-legendary creatures.
Moonsilver Spear: High equip cost.
Skullclamp: Not useful in this deck. Running Mind's Eye instead.
Sword/Shield of Kaldra: Not recursible with Sun Titan.
Sword of Feast and Famine: Doesn't combo with Gisela's abilities like F&I and W&P.
Mask of Avacyn: Doesn't grant haste.
Darksteel Plate: Doesn't provide hexproof/shroud.
Fireshrieker: Not as powerful on its own.
Helm of Kaldra: Doesn't provide hexproof/shroud.
Quietus Spike: Not as powerful on its own.

The Resurrection
Defy Death/Miraculous Recovery/Karmic Guide: Resurrection is more flavorful. Also, the FNM art is amazeballs! :mrgreen:

Armageddon, the Last Battle
Aggravated Assault/Insurrection/Waves of Aggression: It only costs five mana to get a total of four combat phases out of World at War, and its castable well before Insurrection. It's difficult for the deck to cast Assault and activate it the same turn. "Armageddon", the final battle slot, is currently filled by World at War.

Holy Relics
Armillary Sphere: Dropped for Scroll Rack/Land Tax combo.
Darksteel Ingot: Dropped for Mana Vault.

Streets Paved With Gold
Rupture Spire: "Downright awful."

Miscellaneous
Valor: Trumped by Glory and usually unnecessary with Gisela.
Preacher: Too campy.
Brilliant Halo/Runed Halo: Brilliant was for flavor only and pales next to the deck's equipment, whereas Runed is too narrow.
Darksteel Forge: Dropped along with Platinum Angel.
Sensei's Divining Top: I think the deck benefits more from card draw. Plus, I'm still running Scroll Rack to help out with top deck manipulation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-07 1:32 pm 

F***ING AWESOME. Mind if I repost this on my blog? This deserves to be shared.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-08 12:49 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:

Thanks! :D I sent you a PM of where to find my most recent updates. You're free to repost so long as you let me preview it first.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-08 1:03 pm 

ChimericPisces wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

Thanks! :D I sent you a PM of where to find my most recent updates. You're free to repost so long as you let me preview it first.

Will PM you when I have my write-up complete. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-09 7:09 am 

I think I would still highlight some cards that go crazy with Gisela.

Arena
Repercussion / Rune-Tail
Serra's Blessing
Total War
Ashen Firebeast
Magmatic Force
Powerstone Minefield

My favorite:
Wave of Reckoning !!

Not sure if any of these work into your themes, but I wanted to mention them.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile