Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-26 8:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-10 6:45 pm 

The last game I palyed I saw none of the cards in question, and fell victim to a bad timed (for me) Sunder...

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-12 1:02 pm 

I played 4 games last Sunday. We were with 4 people, Jhoira, Wort, Sek'Kuar and of course Mayael. The Jhoira player seemed almost perpetually screwed, as it was a new deck I am guessing it is in need of some work (he did play a few counters at annoying times, he had let me know beforehand that he'd be gunning for me). The other guys were doing what they do, which is dropping a bunch of guys and turning them sideways.

With that setup I managed to win 2 out of the 4 games. Both blowouts where I overran them one at a time with huge monsters, basically in Jhoira, Wort, Ske'Kuar order as that's how I perceived the strength of the decks (if they're working, Jhoira was not that dangerous, just annoying). Both games were won by creatures made especially huge by Vigor, especially liked the 2nd win where I got in play 3 Vigors thanks to Kiki-Jiki and then played a Crater Hellion, why yes, that's 3 14/14 trampling monsters heading your way. Or actually, now that I think about it, that should be 3 10/10's as the damage can only be prevented once, which was still plenty.

I always feel however that the loosing games are more interesting. The first one of them was lost to of all things the beatdown of 2 1/1's and a boggart shenanigans. I especially underestimated the second, that he kept aiming at me after a huge win last game. I had a wrath of god ready all along, but the 2 goblins, which were held back by a kor haven and kher keep did seem like a terrible waste to kill with it. but a few times he did get some damage through, played another goblin when one died, kept damaging with the shenanigans and was just able to do one sting too many. In hindsight playing the wrath after a few stings would have held all players back, even though it didn't hid much and I would have probably been able to get Mayael online. I would probably still have taken a lot of damage, but with a primus under a mossworth bridge I had a fair chance of surviving at 5-7 life and possibly racing the goblin player.

I attribute that first loss to underestimating a card and not playing very well.

The 2nd loss saw me at 5 mana for way too long, with anything with 1 thoughness (pingers) or non-black (attrition and goblins) getting killed on sight by the opponents. When I finally hit the 6th mana I was all but dead and wouldn't have stood much of a chance against the attrition anyway. I might have managed to keep up till I found a searcher or some actual removal if it came earlier though. I did have genesis in my yard to be able to get back some stuff, maybe returning it and putting it into play was a viable option at the item, but I did not consider it.

I don't think this loss could have been helped.

While I still ant to play a few more games I get the feeling the deck really needs either more mass removal to be able to stay around till I get the big guys out, or lower the avarage mana cost, probably both. Not sure how to best handle that though.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-12 3:45 pm 

Miss Mayael won another 3-player game for me, almost playing her like a blue control deck, and not a three-color aggro monstrosity.

She just sat on board, accumulating card advantage, Not really losing anything to board sweepers, since my hand remained full. By the end of the game, both the Kiku (MBC) player and Isperia (UW aggrocontrol) had exhausted all of their killspells and inherently smaller creatures trading for cards I basically pull right from the deck like a lossless Tinker.

By the end of the game, my hand was something in the vein of Wild Ricochet, Wrath of God, Loaming Shaman, Wooly Thoctar, Savage Twister, Bloodfire Collossus- -with enough mana to cast all three fatties on board...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-14 11:33 am 

I tend to play her in a more controlish way all the time. She just isn't fast, but get her going and you can ride the advantage to the end. There are of course fast draws every now and then, but at least as often I need to sit it out behind removal, some early defense and keep killing stuff.

I am thinking my version of the deck can probably do with a little less in the fatty departement (25 seems reasonable) and with even more removal. I have searched around and incendiary command, sulfurous blast, savage twister all seem quite nice. I also came across primal command and thunderstaff, which particularly tickles my fancy as I am often facing many small creatures, especially goblins and because it has another nice use as well. Can't wait to pump the attacking creatures of the opponent who's turn it is before me, after he has assigned them to attack elsewhere of course. Now only to find room, I will post a new decklist when I have made changes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-14 3:50 pm 

I dunno. I've got well over 30 fatties in my brew, and I con't feel overstuffed at all.

I keep forgetting to try out KikiJiki. We'll see (probably tomorrow night) if I can remember him next time.

New fattie ideas are Patron of the Akki and some of the spoiled new guys from Conflux.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-15 1:17 am 

I'm not sure what the patron is offering that we're currently missing. I mean, we already have creatures that are quite large, is the +2/+0 going to matter all that much? I can imagine something nice being in conflux, in fact, I'm counting on it, it being the follow up on shards.

It's not really like I'm feeling overstuffed on fatties, but I do get the feeling I could remove some without it effecting the deck much, which leaves me room for more utility which I get the feeling I don't have enough of.

I am somewhat liking wall of reverence from conflux (though it is probably too expensive), Paleoth seems somewhat interesting in the place where my genesis is now, but I'm not sure how good he is. Meglonoth seems ok, should be a good deterrent to attacking me. I'm not sure which other conflux cards you might like?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-15 8:14 am 

Paleoth and Megolonoth are the two I was referring to.

I suppose you're right. The Patron doesn't really offer something too much. Win more, I suppose. At six mana I should be using Mayel, anyway.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-16 9:51 am 

Latest version of the deck:
http://edh.truespace.ca/EDH_Forum/viewt ... 3246#13246

Changes:

- Mistveil Plains

I never ever use its ability. It would be better replaced by a snow-covered plains and eventually it might be. Currently I am trying how it feels playing with 1 less land. (You'll notice the other changes have lowered my average casting cost a bit)

- Verdant Force

Blasphemy, I know. Removing the king of the fatties of all things! However, the force itself is a 7/7 without any special abilities besides churning out tokens. Godsire can do the same and is larger, has vigilence and has an ability that can be duplicated by rings, seeker or in a way by kiki. True, force will start sooner, but I never play games where the sire is not going to provide more if it lasts to my next untap. Still, it hurts a little to make this removal.

- Flamekin Harbringer

I became more and more disappointed with this. True, searching vigor, spitebelows or sometimes cloudtresher or dust elemental can be fun. But, as an early drop it doesn't do enough by itself and when I drop it I often don't have enough mana to start casting those so I'd rather draw a land (the main reason the other harbringer is staying in is that it gets me lands, but also because it does a little more by itself).

- Oversoul of Dusk

The oversoul almost seems like a cheap fatty with good abilites. However, it'll often take till my 6th or 7th land before I can actually cast it. And then what does it do. I have decided I don't need as many creatures just for killing, most of my guys are fat anyway, they should do a somewhat decent job at it anyway.

- Bogardan Hellkite

Too often the hellkite takes ut some */2 or */3 powered creature and then just sits there. For an 8 mana creature it just doesn't do enough, I'll just get kamahl or ancient hydra if I really need something like it. I do feel the loss of the removal, but will more than make up for it.

- Eladamri's Call

The main reason this is going is because I am replacing it with a different searcher, the call is good and might make it back in at a later point.

- Kirtar's Wrath

6 mana and never ever am I going to get to treshold. most often I need my wrath effects early, I am replacing this with a 5 mana wrath like effect.

(- Genesis -> This will obviously become Paleoloth when I get one, bringing me back up to 26 fatties)

The "new" guys:

+ Flameblast Dragon

I want removal ok, this is coming back in for the hellkite.

+ Martyr of Ashes

This is a tryout, about 25% of my deck is red, but I am thinking I am often having quite a few cards in hand and I can influence what I have with the library manipulation as well. I thnk if I need it I should be able to manage 1-2 red cards in hand a reasonable amount of times and 3 on more rare occasions. This at the very least feels much better than the harbringer.

+ Wave of Reckoning

The cheaper wrath effect. Sure, it'll leave stuff around, but that stuff includes Mayael. The goblin deck will just scoop everything up, as will the token deck. Sisay is a little less hurt and zur doesn't really care. However it's the faster decks I fear the most, so the wave might do some good at a faster speed than Kirtar's Wrath.

+ Savage Twister

This should have been in all along. Scalable damage just as starstorm. Me likes.

+ Primal Command

It can do 4 things, it does 2, one of them being searching for eternal witness to give it another try if need be. This is what replaces the call of course. I like how it gives me just a little bit more life gain.

+ Thunderstaff

Lots of small stuff at my table and can't wait to give some other attacking creatures the bonus in the turn before mine. I wouldn't play it for either ability, but I think the package makes it in.

+ Incendiary Command

It does a lot, including pyroclasm and destroying volrath's strongholds and the like. The windfall effect seems nice to set up and if it comes to it, ok, I'll kill someone with it. It's mainly more removal, but I am often holding more cards than my opponents, so am interested to see if I can get that to do something nice.

What I am still wondering about is the Mire and the River Boa. On one end they feel pretty weak. On the other they regerate, get through some defenses and are just perfectly priced and powered to keep stuff at bay. I just wouldn't know what else to put in in their place. Any suggestions?

The full decklist:

// Lands
1 [LRW] Windbrisk Heights
1 [LRW] Mosswort Bridge
1 [IA] Snow-Covered Forest
1 [SHM] Wooded Bastion
1 [IA] Forest
1 [OD] Plains
1 [AN] Mountain
1 [ALA] Naya Panorama
1 [TE] Reflecting Pool
1 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
1 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [UL] Treetop Village
1 [R] Savannah
1 [R] Plateau
1 [SHM] Sapseep Forest
1 [RAV] Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
1 [EVE] Springjack Pasture
1 [NE] Kor Haven
1 [UD] Yavimaya Hollow
1 [PS] Rith's Grove
1 [JU] Krosan Verge
1 [UL] Forbidding Watchtower
1 [R] Taiga
1 [TSP] Kher Keep
1 [RAV] Boros Garrison
1 [RAV] Selesnya Sanctuary
1 [GP] Gruul Turf
1 [ALA] Jungle Shrine
1 [RAV] Temple Garden
1 [GP] Stomping Ground
1 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
1 [GP] Skarrg, the Rage Pits
1 [IA] Snow-Covered Mountain
1 [UL] Ghitu Encampment
1 [WL] Winding Canyons
1 [SC] Temple of the False God
1 [SOK] Miren, the Moaning Well

// Creatures
1 [ON] Krosan Tusker
1 [SC] Eternal Dragon
1 [SOK] Arashi, the Sky Asunder
1 [PLC] Magus of the Arena
1 [NE] Ancient Hydra
1 [SHM] Woodfall Primus
1 [SHM] Twilight Shepherd
1 [MOR] Spitebellows
1 [LRW] Cloudthresher
1 [ON] Venomspout Brackus
1 [LRW] Treefolk Harbinger
1 [EVE] Wickerbough Elder
1 [GP] Living Inferno
1 [PLC] Mire Boa
1 [VI] River Boa
1 [US] Crater Hellion
1 [OD] Kamahl, Pit Fighter
1 [SHM] Windbrisk Raptor
1 [JU] Pulsemage Advocate
1 [JU] Nullmage Advocate
1 [FD] Eternal Witness
1 [JU] Genesis
1 [PLC] Dust Elemental
1 [ALA] Godsire
1 [LRW] Ashling the Pilgrim
1 [TSP] Magus of the Disk
1 [FUT] Scourge of Kher Ridges
1 [ALA] Spearbreaker Behemoth
1 [RAV] Blazing Archon
1 [DS] Viridian Zealot
1 [LRW] Vigor
1 [EVE] Hateflayer
1 [LE] Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 [US] Shivan Hellkite
1 [ON] Silvos, Rogue Elemental
1 [TE] Seeker of Skybreak
1 [EVE] Bloom Tender
1 [CHK] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 [ALA] Flameblast Dragon
1 [CS] Martyr of Ashes

// Spells
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [LG] Sylvan Library
1 [MI] Worldly Tutor
1 [PT] Sylvan Tutor
1 [TE] Scroll Rack
1 [ALA] Naya Charm
1 [UL] Defense of the Heart
1 [IN] Breath of Darigaaz
1 [SHM] Firespout
1 [R] Wrath of God
1 [IN] Rout
1 [LRW] Austere Command
1 [AQ] Tawnos's Coffin
1 [ON] Starstorm
1 [TE] Mirri's Guile
1 [LRW] Rings of Brighthearth
1 [MM] Wave of Reckoning
1 [MI] Savage Twister
1 [LRW] Primal Command
1 [DS] Thunderstaff
1 [LRW] Incendiary Command

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ALA] Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-16 4:01 pm 

You guys seem to be doing a lot better with your Mayael builds than I am. Can I get some tips on this deck? I win very rarely with it, but it does happen.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-16 4:12 pm 

Do you have a link to your list? Otherwise, what are the differences?

In general I am getting more and more convinced that many people see Mayael as promoting an aggro deck, while she is more of a long term plan in my view. I am trying to focus my deck on this and it seems to be working, possibly this is something to consider for you?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-16 7:30 pm 

I figure I may as well post an updated version of mine.

Miss Mayael:

Creatures (Creatures Mayael can fetch in bold):
(Organized by CMC)
Bloom Tender
Wooly Thoctar
Loaming Shaman
Brion Stoutarm
Hunted Lammasu
Drumhunter
Seedborn Muse
Hystrodon
Shivan Wurm
Gurzigost
Arashi, The Sky Asunder
Vigor
Magus of the Arena
Crater Hellion
Rustmouth Ogre
Bull Cerodon
Flameblast Dragon
Rorix Bladewing
Cloudthresher
Spitebellows
Krosan Tusker
Panglacial Wurm
Penumbra Wurm
Eternal Dragon
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Windbrisk Raptor
Regal Force
Knollspine Dragon
Tornado Elemental
Borborygmos
Bloodfire Collossus
Woodfall Primus
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Living Hive
Verdant Force
Razia, Boros Archangel
Living Inferno
Bogardan Hellkite
Blazing Archon
Krosan Cloudscraper
Dragon Tyrant

Noncreature Permaments:

Sensei's Divining Top
Cream of the Crop
Rings of Brightearth
Defense of the Heart
Greater Good
Gruul War Plow

Instants and Sorceries:

Swords to Plowshares
Wild Ricochet
Wrath of God
Harmonize
Rout
Radiate
Miraculous Recovery
Sangrite Surge
Savage Twister
Brightflame

Lands:

Savannah
Taiga
Plateau
Temple Garden
Stomping Ground
Sacred Foundry
Selesnya Santcuary
Gruul Turf
Boros Garrison
Windswept Heath
Naya Panorama
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Miren, the Moaning Well
6 Plains
12 Forests
7 Mountains

A few notes:

Greater Good is aweosme. I can't see myself cutting it again.

I love the repeatable Tinker that Mayael's ability really is, so I rarely want to miss. I may have a few too many fatties, but not by much.

Cards I want to cut:

Gruul War Plow: Meh.
Sangrite Surge: This only really is something I want when there is only one remaining opponent and it will kill them. In all other cases, that six mana is better spent on Mayael.
Borborygmos: Just not as good as any other 7-drop. A Shivan Dragon would be an improvement.
Dragon Tyrant: I'll never hardcast this guy, and half the time, when e get's Mayael'd in, he'll not live through my upkeep.

Gurzigost: This one's interesting. On turn 5, he's awful. On turn 25, he's awesome. He'll slowly put your gas back into your library. And Mayael will bring it quickly to the top.

So, I'm gonna switch out those five and see how it goes.
+Ajani Vengeant
+Greater Gargadon (should have been in long ago)
+Faith's Fetters (Take THAT, Arcum)
Dust Elemental
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
(Also cosidered: Ashen Firebeast, Congregation at Dawn, Shivan Dragon, Stalking Vengeance)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-17 3:43 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Brion Stoutarm

Do you often fling your big guys? There aren't many occasions where I would consider that, hence the question.
Jeyal wrote:
Shivan Wurm

I found I often don't have something I would like to bounce, especially since the amount of cheap stuff in the deck is limited.
Jeyal wrote:
Gurzigost

I couldn't manage to keep it around for long when I had it. Also, especially with Paleoloth, I could imagine the graveyard being a nice place to have cards.
Jeyal wrote:
Rustmouth Ogre

I am assuming you are facing a lot of artifacts?
Jeyal wrote:
Panglacial Wurm

Do you ever use it's ability while searching? Can't really see him being better than Silvos for example. I mean, when I am searching I am often already using mana, adding 7 more to that means I'll need 8 mana to get this in at the least.
Jeyal wrote:
Living Hive

I can't really see this beating a godsire, how often do you manage to get this through for a decent amount?
Jeyal wrote:
Krosan Cloudscraper

Isn't this just big and dumb?

In general, you seem to focus more on attacking where I focus more on utility. Is this a concious decission? Also I think you average CC might be higher.

What I am really missing are twilight shepherd and ancient hydra. I couldn't imagine playing without those.

Jeyal wrote:
Greater Good

I just can't see what this would do for me, sure, might use it to draw some cards, but those are often stuck in my hand anyway, and it's not unlikely I'll be discarding some anyway because of my hand size afterwards. Is your experience different?

Jeyal wrote:
Greater Good is aweosme. I can't see myself cutting it again.

Why is it so awsome?

Jeyal wrote:
I love the repeatable Tinker that Mayael's ability really is, so I rarely want to miss. I may have a few too many fatties, but not by much.

Did I count 36? Man, that's 10 more than I have :), but doing some goldfishing yesterday did make it feel I am a little short, but that could have also been though luck. Trying a few more times first. I agree on the Tinker comment, that's definitely how it feels. Btw, I might sometimes fake a miss to make it seem my decks not working as it should if I don't really need the fatty in question. Did you ever try that?

Jeyal wrote:
So, I'm gonna switch out those five and see how it goes.
+Ajani Vengeant
+Greater Gargadon (should have been in long ago)
+Faith's Fetters (Take THAT, Arcum)
Dust Elemental
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
(Also cosidered: Ashen Firebeast, Congregation at Dawn, Shivan Dragon, Stalking Vengeance)

I think those are the best choices out of those, though I am not convinced on the need of Ajani, unless there is often a single permanent you want to shut down? Good luck trying dust elemental, it's one of my favorite cards in magic :).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-17 8:40 am 

Brion Stoutarm:
The little bit of extra reach (and corresponding instant-speed lifegain) that I get from Brion can be useful. And tossing a Wurm or Dragon at someone's head is always satisfying.

Shivan Wurm:
This guy was probably better when I had a Flametoungue Kavu in, but he still lets me reuse Bogardan Hellkite, Loaming Shaman, Cloudthresher, Tornado Elemental, a persisted Woodfall Primus, and sometimes "pick up" Mayael before a Crater Hellion or Bloodfire Collossus activation.

Rustmouth Ogre:
I face enough artifacts to want at least one creature-based out. (If only Indrik Stomphowler was 5-power...)

Panglacial Wurm:
9 Power is the biggest reasonable fatty. Sunhome's best friend. On the offchance you do happen to have 7 mana leftover while searching for some reason, it's just a bonus.

Living Hive:
This usually gets a hit for 2 or 3. Nothing too spectacular. Godsire would be better. If I acquire one, it will probably end up in this spot.

Krosan Cloudscraper:
This one always gets morphed. Always. And everyone in my playgroup knows what it is (because they forget about the Hystrodon.) It's amazing what the threat of a "surprise" 13 can do for someone deciding to block.

Greater Good:
This has been an all-star of late. It's good against things like Exile and Tendrils of Corruption, protects your guys from Control Magic effects (Seedborn Muse, in particular), And for me, clears the chaff off the top of my library just like a Cream of the Crop would. My deck has far fewer noncreatures, but the Greater Good gets me to them quite quickly.

As for Ajani, I just saw him lying around, and thought that perhaps a planeswalker may be a nice addition. It gives me a slight answer for some of the things that this deck really doesn't like to see...(Hellkite Overlord, Acrum Dagson, Avatar of Woe, Arcanis the Omnipotent, Empress Galina).

One other change I made after I posted: I'm going to try Puer//Simple in the spot formerly occupied by Regal Force. Simple collects no collateral damage, and a Vindicate is always nice, even if it is conditional.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-17 10:26 am 

Venomspout Brackus is another nice morph just in case you missed it.

I think dust elemental might cover what you needed the shivan wurm for. Any reason why you're not playing the shepherd or the hydra?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-17 8:15 pm 

I'd probably run the Twilight Shepard, but my only copy is in a different deck. If I come across an extra (or an Ancient Hydra or Godsire) I'll be sure to give them a try. I could probably trim the fat, so to speak...

I'll see if I can find a Venomspout Brackus and give that a try ,too.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next