Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 4:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 102  Next
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-04 4:30 pm 

Hi there!

This is going to be my first post on this forum. My friend introduced me to the format and I was brainstorming some ideas for generals. Mayael seemed like a good place to start and play some fat. I certainly haven't play tested as much as the rest of you guys and am looking to play the format casually. Here some ideas:

Patron of Orochi - I don't know how this one passed by me so many times. I was reading another thread this this card would go perfectly in the deck. You can get an untap trigger much like a Seedborn Muse during each players turn and generate mana at the same time! Plus it's big! You might even get to play it off a Sakura-Tribe Elder at instant spead once in a while.

Big Vanilla Cycling Critters - I really like them. I've never hard cast them mind you but it's filler for Mayael in case you whiff. If you flip a better creature than you play that instead. It's better than nothing. Plus, it's another activated ability for Rings of Brighthearth.

That's all I've got for now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-05 1:05 am 

In my oppinion there are better choices than the vanilla cyclers, but krosan tusker and eternal dragon are really good and I think should be a consideration for each Mayael deck.

Regarding the patron, I can see how it could work, however the combo potential is probably going to scare people and I don't think he's good enough for that. (As in on my table scared opponents are not a good thing to have as they tend to focus too much on killing me, if I scare them I want to have the cards to follow up and the patron requires too many other cards). I also doubt he'll do much with me only playing 6 forests in total (I play my lands highlander as well). You could however probably gear a Mayael deck towards getting additional untaps and get more of a combo-ish finish. In which case you probably play enough stuff working with the patron to make him strong enough.

Good luck!

(And feel free to post your list, this topic has been more of a gathering of Mayael players than for discussing a single version of the deck anyway)

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-08 11:32 pm 

I think Brightflame was an option on people's mind for a while. I tested with it. For the average mayael it's good. I run purity in my build since I'm in favor of X removal spells that deal damage to players as well. Purity and Vigor on the board with a Resolved Brightflame for 8 or higher is NUTS!!! I know the Vigor dies but man, you gain a lot of life.

I had a question about realm razer. Do you guys think it belongs in this build? Is it too butal in a fatty deck? My main play group doesn't like mass land-de so I pulled it. I noticed it missing from many builds and was wondering if you think it has a place.

I also suggest you try minion reflector. With a good mayael hit it is an absolute beating.

Oh yeah, more info about warp world. 6 lands on the board and nothing else, (2 boucelands so 8 mana total.) I had been mana screwed for most of the game. WW reveals 4 fatties and two lands and shuffles in 2 generals. I wrecked the R Akroma player to the point that he scooped after wastelanding/strip mining my two lands. I then proceeded to bash the faces of the other two players until I won. I was very happy with warp world that day.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-17 12:36 am 

Brightflame is in my latest list, but so far it's been hiding. So no experiences from my side.

My opinion in regard to realm razor is dat I absolutely positively hate anything that destroys my land. I am not playing something myself that does that. I could imagine it working in a build that draws much of its mana from non-lands.

Minion reflector seems overkill, if you already get a good Mayael hit, would you really need that token for a turn? It also limits you in when you could activate Mayael (if you want the most advantage out of it that is). you either activate Mayael before your combat phase on your turn or after the end of turn triggers in your last opponent's turn. While that last one is when I would most often activate her anyway I do like to be able to do it earlier. I don't like the reflector when I do that. I would grant you that the reflector seems better than most cards that give them haste, though I'd go with kiki-jiki first.

I guess my views on warp world are the same as for the razor, it hits my lands and that makes me sad. I do see this being better than the razor and if I was playing more fatties I might give it a chance. As it is I'm playing fever permanents than most so for now it's staying out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-17 8:13 pm 

Jukren54 wrote:
I think Brightflame was an option on people's mind for a while. I tested with it. For the average mayael it's good. I run purity in my build since I'm in favor of X removal spells that deal damage to players as well. Purity and Vigor on the board with a Resolved Brightflame for 8 or higher is NUTS!!! I know the Vigor dies but man, you gain a lot of life.

I had a question about realm razer. Do you guys think it belongs in this build? Is it too butal in a fatty deck? My main play group doesn't like mass land-de so I pulled it. I noticed it missing from many builds and was wondering if you think it has a place.

I also suggest you try minion reflector. With a good mayael hit it is an absolute beating.

Oh yeah, more info about warp world. 6 lands on the board and nothing else, (2 boucelands so 8 mana total.) I had been mana screwed for most of the game. WW reveals 4 fatties and two lands and shuffles in 2 generals. I wrecked the R Akroma player to the point that he scooped after wastelanding/strip mining my two lands. I then proceeded to bash the faces of the other two players until I won. I was very happy with warp world that day.

I haven't played Mayael myself, but one of the guys in my playgroup does. I haven't seen a Realm Razer out of him yet, but the fact that you can't play it off Mayael seems like it doesn't fit extremely well. Also, turning off Mayael's ability seems like a bad idea when it can generate so much card advantage.

My 2 cents.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-18 12:43 am 

pi wrote:
Brightflame is in my latest list, but so far it's been hiding. So no experiences from my side.

My opinion in regard to realm razor is dat I absolutely positively hate anything that destroys my land. I am not playing something myself that does that. I could imagine it working in a build that draws much of its mana from non-lands.

So today I pulled off a brightflame for 4 the turn after a guy resolved storm herd for 23. Yeah, I gained a lot of life.

I think realm razer serves as a more fair land destruction effect since by killing it you can get all lands back. I run quite a bit of creature/signet permanent accel which is still in effect after razer come in. As long as I draw one or two lands I can recover pretty quickly.

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-18 2:38 am 

That sounds like a good brightflame, I'm not dissin' the card, it's just that I simply haven't drawn it yet, so can't really judge yet how it would work for me. I do know there are some token building decks around in my group. Also at worst I think brightflame should be able to hit about 4 creatures in my group pretty much at any point I want to play it. Even at an X of 2 that's an interesting amount of life gained and damage done and I generally hope to be able to play it with a higher X :).

I can see the razer work in other builds, just not in mine. I realize I'm playing a list different from most, so if it works for you, go for it!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-18 3:30 am 

Like Artos said, I don't really like the Raver turning off the Mayael "engine." Deck needs it's lands!

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-19 1:51 pm 

So I played another game with the miss today as Tetsuo called in sick or something (in reality I feel I want to change that deck, but am not sure how to yet). For this I made a few changes from my last list, moving out the matyr, ashling and mother for oblivion stone, nevinyrral's disk and radiant kavu. I'm not convinced on the kavu yet and that might very well become the ashling again. I also noticed I didn't quite like seeing calming licid with top today.

But, what happened today. In the game we had myself playing Mayael, then clockwise child of alara, sek'kuar, deathkeeper, rafiq of the many and captain sisay. I kept a hand with land, wrath, magus and top, drawing another land. Seems reasonable, can always count on the wrath to keep things away and the magus and top will help whatever happens. In fact what happened was lots of global removal flying around, much of it from my side, but the child threw a fit every now and then as well. The only things that could be counted on to stay on the board were lands and that only as long as you did not kill rafiq's stuff because he had a karmic justic out early. I was fine with this, I'm never in a hurry. However the justice was in fact the second most annoying permanent to hit play. The most annoying was an elspeth played by sisay.

A breath of darigaaz brought down elspeth to manageble proportions and killed the token, however, neither my opponents nor myself was in a position to deal that final point and elspeth got up to 6 again making token after token.

Meanwhile I was digging and digging, but the top did not reveal anything really good. I did get lands a plenty and this deck likes that. I also did find me some more removal first in the form of the stone and later a disc, vengeance and rout followed. Still, using any of these just for elspeth would be a little overkill. Then Kamahl popped up showing his worth yet again. Rafiq did put a spirit loop on him, which was annoying, but elspeth was gone. Then I played wrath to take out about 12 creatures I think, at least half on sisay's side. Don't overextend when I'm around :). As sisay had yomiji out he was actually reasonably save because half his creatures (and my kamahl) went back to hand.

Yomiji and kamahl played a nice dance for a while, my kamahl taking out anything small while it would go back to hand ready to shoot some more if anything got in the way. It was particularly nice that he kept me save from whatever was wearing quietous spike at the time, as child played it and couldn't muster any creatures with more toughness than 3. Fortunately. All the other guys were hit at least once with it.

Kamahl finally bit the dust at some point when yomiji wasn't around but in the mean time I had drawn all that removal so I was ok with that. Around this time sek'kuar found a disturbed burial and was returning whatever he had. This included jorael among other things. this made wrath like effects a little more dangerous, but like a pro I found a rout the turn he first played it, so was just waiting for some lands to be animated and completely screw someone.

Many mass removal spells, and some recursion of the child later the moment came where sisay was moving in for the final points of damage to sek'kuar. I suggested that activating jorael now on sisay might be a nice time and sek'kuar always in for that sort of thing happily abliged. Unfortunately sisay had just searched for a kaldra part so I assumed that was on his chorus of the conclave that was heading to kill sek'kuar. It was the other part that made the creature indestructible so sek'kuar still went down (I was more afraid of sisay, wouldn't have mind him to stay around).

With only the chorus and kaldra part left sisay conceded when I found blazing archon (which I knew was hiding near the top). Rafiq had been killed at an earlier point (kamahl and ajani somewhere earlier) so it was just me and the child. Let's just say Mayael is not afraid of anything with 5+ power, crying or not. Archon did most of the work, with raptor joining in next turn and spearbreaker behemoth joining the party just in case. I still had disk in hand as well as a bunch of other stuff and scroll rack in case things went bottoms up.

Funniest part in the game was actually some time after rafiq died when that player suggested I should just get flameblast dragon with primal command to go with my 10+ land and start killing people. Unfortunately my answer had to be that that was pretty much the only card I couldn't get as the dragon was hiding under a windbrisk heights since forever (I think about turn 4 in a 2.5 hour game). I just never had the 3 creatures to attack with! (Maybe I should consider moving it out, though if there had been a really good card there I might have attacked with a factory and encampment as well as some fatty to get it out. Only that would have meant loosing the lands. I'm keeping an eye on it).

Anyway, another win for the miss!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-27 12:08 pm 

I've been working on a 1v1 mayael build since shards of alara came out. This is the final list, alara reborn included.

general ( 1 )

Mayael the anima

creatures ( 27 )

apocalypse hydra
eternal witness
anger
spellbreaker behemoth
oversoul of dusk
deus of calamity
exalted angel
rith, the awakener
vigor
silvos, rogue elemental
child of gaea
yosei, the morning star
paleoloth
meglonoth
plated slagwurm
spearbreaker behemoth
borborygmos
rimescale dragon
vagrant plowbeasts
godsire
bogardan hellkite
palladia-mors
scourge of kher ridges
akroma, angel of wrath
akroma, angel of fury
woodfall primus
razia, boros archangel

---> 23 with power 5+

instants ( 10 )

berserk
swords to plowshares
path to exile
condemn
fatal frenzy
krosan grip
wing shards
grab the reins
savage beating
word of seizing

Sorceries ( 10 )

savage twister
kodama's reach
brightflame
harmonize
wrath of god
hunting wilds
all suns' dawn
soul's majesty
akroma's vengeance
tooth and nail

artifacts ( 6 )

sol ring
sword of fire and ice
sword of light and shadow
loxodon warhammer
gilded lotus
akroma's memorial

enchantments ( 4 )

greater good
dawn's reflection
mirari's wake
rage reflection

planeswalkers ( 2 )

elspeth, knight-errant
garruk wildspeaker

lands ( 40 )

skarrg, the rage pits
sunhome, fortress of the legion
kor haven

snow-covered plains ( 5x )
snow-covered mountain ( 5x )
snow-covered forest ( 5x )

ancient amphitheater
grove of the burnwillows
saltcrusted steppe
fungal reaches
shivan oasis
elfhame palace
rugged prairie
wooded bastion
fire-lit thicket
brushland
karplusan forest
battlefield forge
selesnya sanctuary
gruul turf
boros garrison
temple garden
sacred foundry
stomping ground

jungle shrine
rith's grove
rupture spire
reflecting pool

I already played a lot against mayael decks, and I came to a simple conclusion. Never focus your deck on mayael alone, cause your stuck when she's killed. That's why I tried to build this deck so that it can still work without mayael in play. I think that's a lot safer than just relying on mayael alone.

Personally I seriously doubt paleoloth. What's you guys opinion on him?

so, this is it. What do you think of it?

Progenitus
Sliver queen ( only creatures allowed )
Niv-mizzet, the firemind
Arcanis the omnipotent
Visara the dreadful
Intet, the dreamer

Last edited by akroma on 2009-Apr-28 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-27 4:21 pm 

It looks like a good list. Just a few tweaks I would make.

I would cut mana reflection and the planeswalkers for other mana ramp or utility. I found when I drop them I would often have one or two fatties to defend them with and they would die to a horde of tokens. The only one I would run in this deck would be garruk as he has the faster ultimate and +1 ability feeds into mana ramp.

I'm split on the equipment because they seem like win more I would cut akroma's memorial soley because it's so expensive and with fewer fatties you're better off using trample giving equipment to send your fatties through hordes of blockers that will get in the way. O-naginata and Loxodon warhammer are great soley because of the trample.

I don't like apocalypse hydra in Mayael especially with a lower fatty count. It's great off of Wake or late game, but it's a whiff with Mayael's ability and doesn't have evasion.

I would suggest running Wild Pair to make your board presence simply amazing as you crowd it up with fatties. Maybe a few more wrath effects as well to help stabilize. I now run Hallowed Burial in every white EDH I own simply because it takes care of so many threats including collussus and persist guys.

Take a look at Alara Reborn for more options for this deck.

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-28 12:49 am 

Alara Reborn cards I'm looking to test out:

Enlisted Wurm
Spellbreaker Behemoth
Naya Sojourners
Valley Rannet

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-28 10:47 am 

hey thanks for your nice tips.

But I got to say one thing. In our playgroup, generals don't intend to live long. They always get killed pretty soon. So that's why I always try to make my decks so that they work without general as good as with general. That's why I play not so much mayaelable fatties. You don't win a game on powerful creatures alone. I wanted to play a deck with good creatures and protect them with other spells. My general is not necessary to win the game. My deck can do it without him. Playing the leader just accelerates the win. It's like that in all my EDH decks. And believe me, apocalypse hydra may not be mayaelable, but in combination with the right equipment or akroma's memorial he's hard. VERY hard!

But I followed a few of your hints and made the following changes:

1) sarkhan vol out for exalted angel
2) mana reflection out for hunting wilds
3) brawn out for loxodon warhammer

byebye

Progenitus
Sliver queen ( only creatures allowed )
Niv-mizzet, the firemind
Arcanis the omnipotent
Visara the dreadful
Intet, the dreamer

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-28 11:24 am 

I think every Timmy player out there is excited for Spellbreaker Behemoth.

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-28 11:33 am 

Jukren54 wrote:
I think every Timmy player out there is excited for Spellbreaker Behemoth.

*raises hand*

My buddy runs a ramp style build with the Akroma trifecta much to his liking, and not so much to ours!! :wink: Anyways Rage Reflection and Gratuitous Violence are both MVP's for him. Also Butcher Orgg is an absolute monster for this kind of deck, as it "avoids" targeting.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 102  Next