Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-17 6:03 am

Post subject: Kaervek the Group Slug
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 2:46 pm 

After 4 or 5 years of playing, this is still my favorite deck. As my group's gotten better, the group-huggery's declined, so no more stuff like Varchild's War-Riders or Endless Whispers. The draw pain cards still work pretty well, but overall the deck's become more of a straight RB control deck (sort of like an old RB draft deck with Pyroclasms and Nekrataals, only with Earthquakes and demons instead).

Kaervek the Merciless (current 9/1/2013)

Creatures (10)
Graveborn Muse
Blood Speaker
Bloodgift Demon
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Harvester of Souls
Malfegor
Defiler of Souls
Rune-Scarred Demon
Reiver Demon

Sorceries (16)
Wheel of Fate
Earthquake
Vandalblast
Black Sun's Zenith
Dreadbore
Exsanguinate
Molten Disaster
Recoup
Molten Psyche
Wheel of Fortune
Toil // Trouble
Damnation
Promise of Power
Reforge the Soul
Void
Decree of Pain

Instants (11)
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast
Fault Line
Rakdos Charm
Reverberate
Terminate
Reiterate
Smash
Snuff Out
Into the Core
Wild Ricochet

Enchantments (6)
Phyrexian Arena
Underworld Dreams
Spiteful Visions
Gratuitous Violence
Wound Reflection
Vicious Shadows

Mana Artifacts (11)
Everflowing Chalice
Sol Ring
Expedition Map
Armillary Sphere
Rakdos Signet
Darksteel Ingot
Phyrexian Totem
Rakdos Keyrune
Worn Powerstone
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus

Other Artifacts (6)
Basilisk Collar
Lightning Greaves
Loxodon Warhammer
Teferi's Puzzle Box
Psychosis Crawler
Batterskull

Lands (39)
Kher Keep
Tectonic Edge
Ghost Quarter
Stensia Bloodhall
Reliquary Tower
Bojuka Bog
Tresserhorn Sinks
Urborg Volcano
Lavaclaw Reaches
Rakdos Carnarium
Akoum Refuge
Spinerock Knoll
Sulfurous Springs
Graven Cairns
Dragonskull Summit
Tainted Peak
Blood Crypt
9 Mountain
12 Swamp

Most recent changes:
-Puppeteer Clique, Reaper from the Abyss, Demonic Tutor, Increasing Ambition
+Vicious Shadows, Recoup, Promise of Power, Toil // Trouble

I took out Puppeteer Clique (it was mostly a hold-over from when Primeval Titan was legal), and Reaper from the Abyss (it didn't kill enough, and sometimes killed Kaervek like a traitorous dick), for Vicious Shadows and Recoup. I had taken out Vicious Shadows a while back 'cause it's kind of expensive and clunky, but the deck was worse without it. Recoup's just a handy utility card; I think it should get played more often. With the tutors, I frequently found myself tutoring for either card draw or more tutors, so I thought it made sense just to replace them with actual card draw spells instead.

Kaervek's my favorite commander, and for the last year or two I've played him in a demented RB diplomacy control build. The deck has some group hug elements, some combo breaking, a giant pile of board wipe, and a really fun demon subtheme. I've had a good time with it, but it's time for something fresh (and people are more or less on to my Psychosis-Box and token-shadows shenanigans). This the the current list:

Edit -- I should've mentioned this first, but almost everything is on the chopping block. The only cards I really want to keep are in bold.

I'd like to build something around Sneak Attack and Endless Whispers. Anyone have ideas?

Edit -- Anyone tried playing an EDH Sneak Attack deck? How many fatties do I need to make it worthwhile? Also, what are the best early-midrange utility creatures that I should look at?

Cards definitely going in: Kagemaro, First to Suffer, Havoc Demon, Necrotic Plague, Dimir House Guard
Cards under consideration: Aku Djinn, Lord of the Pit, Liege of the Pit, Cosmic Horror, Witch Engine

General
Kaervek the Mercilessly Awesome

Critters
Varchild's War-Riders
Hunted Horror
Blood Speaker
Graveborn Muse
Psychosis Crawler
Bloodgift Demon
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Hunted Dragon
Malfegor
Defiler of Souls
Massacre Wurm
Rune-Scarred Demon
Pestilence Demon
Reiver Demon
Bloodfire Colossus

Non-mana Artifacts
Relic of Progenitus
Loxodon Warhammer
Quietus Spike
Sword of Kaldra
Teferi's Puzzle Box
Bottled Cloister

Enchantments
Rain of Gore
Underworld Dreams
Phyrexian Arena
Spiteful Visions
Gratuitous Violence
Anthem of Rakdos
Wound Reflection
Wild Evocation
Vicious Shadows

Instants
Comet Storm
Terminate
Fault Line
Reverberate
Sudden Death
Slay
Wrecking Ball
Into the Core
Wild Richochet
Act of Aggression
Word of Seizing

Sorceries
Wheel of Fate
Earthquake
Molten Disaster
Molten Psyche
Damnation
Increasing Ambition
Void
Beacon of Unrest
Decree of Pain
Plague Win

Mana
Everflowing Chalice
Expedition Map
Sol Ring
Rakdos Signet
Mind Stone
Worn Powerstone
Darksteel Ingot
Phyrexian Totem
Thran Dynamo
+ 38 assorted lands

Last edited by Kemev on 2014-Feb-24 9:36 am, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kaervek the Group Slug (needs an upgrade)
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 5:42 pm 

If you're going to cheat fat into play and have your opponents wind up with it, it should have horrible upkeep effects. Stuff like Lord of the Pit springs to mind. Preferably that upkeep effect should be non-optional and not provide benefit (so Xathrid Demon is a bad idea). Alternatively, Phyrexian Negator could be abusable - with Kaerveck on the field you can shoot it when someone plays a big spell and wreck their board. Demonic Hordes could hose non-black opponents, but would be kinda dickish. Aku Djinn would be funny as well.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 4:40 am 

I recently built a Kaervek deck and had an absolute blast with it. One game with it so far and it was the funnest game I've ever played.

I thought about adding Defiler of Souls to my build, but the lack of multicolor cards made me cut it. How does it fare for you?

I also wanted to run Malfegor, but I was afraid with all of the huggy group draw cards that they'd have no board, I'd have no hand, but they'd all have full grips.

It seems like you have a lot of high CMC cards in your build.

I don't know how I missed Teferi's Puzzle Box for my build. That's awesome with the draw pain.

Are you able to connect with Quietus Spike? Seems lackluster.

Sword of Kaldra seems expensive too. Basilisk Collar does a nice job of giving lifelink to Kaervek (in addition to the Loxodon Hammer you have) and can also act as a deterrent.

Does Rain of Gore do much in your meta? It'd mainly be a dead card for me.

Anthem of Rakdos - how often do you meet the hellbent condition?

With Spiteful Visions and Underworld Dreams I'm surprised you don't run Howling Mine, Temple Bell, and Font of Mythos. Without more draw backup, Underworld Dreams seems lackluster.

Anvil of Bogardan is also nice with the draw pain.

Kagemaro, First to Suffer is also awesome with card draw and as a way to control the board.

I also run Death Pits of Rath and cards like Pestilence, Pyrohemia, and Deathbringer Thoctar.

Of course, now I see your last sentence, so maybe the draw part isn't something you want to consider. If you're going that route, I assume your entire creature package would change in a way Sid suggests. Though I'm not sure how well you could ensure that you get Endless Whispers and make it stick.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-06 7:54 pm 

Some good suggestions so far; Aku Djinn is an especially nice find, since it's got a Kaervek flavor quote (and might end up being the death of me playing Kaervek).

Defiler of Souls is usually good, since you really only need a couple of your own creatures on board, and if you don't want to offend someone, you can gift them some tokens to sac. I think he'd be good with Endless Whispers, since he'd force a lot of creature to get passed around.

As far as the old deck, Puzzle Box is indeed awesome with draw pain; it's a very good replacement for Font of Mythos, since it doesn't necessarily give your opponents any advantage. When paired with Spiteful Visions/Underworld Dreams, it's usually good for 4-5 damage per turn. It also screws with ill-considered tutoring. Anthem of Rakdos pairs with Malfegor (Malfie wipes the board, turns on hellbent, and then gets to punch for 16 if he hangs around), but it's pretty janky. Rain of Gore is pretty conditional; depending on what I've been seeing, it gets swapped from week to week for either a GY hate or extra creature kill or something. It's probably coming out. Quietus Spike was to combo with Wound Reflection; spike's going out too.

Ok, here's a hypothetical...

If you were at a table where someone had Pandemonium out, and that player dropped Boldwyr Heavyweights into play, would you immediately try to explode Pandemonium guy?

What if there was also a Furnace of Rath out?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-03 8:14 am 

Heartless Hidetsugu is awesome with lifelink and a few of the other cards you're running.

Painful Quandry - The definition of a griefer card.

Myojin of Night's Reaches - Another absurdly awesome griefer.

Grave Pact - Even more grief.

Burning Sands - Punishes people when their creatures die hardcore. Awesome when followed up by Damnation with an empty board.

Tainted Aether - Absolutely hoses pesky token decks.

Baneful Omen - Slugs everyone opponent at once.

Exsanguinate - Can kill multiple players and give you a huge life advantage.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kaervek the Group Slug
AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 9:25 am 

Over the last year or so, I've cut a lot of the group-hug stuff in favor of more pain.

There are a couple more cards I want to cut...

Rune-Scarred Demon: This guy gets Bribery'ed a lot, and it's annoying.
Exsanguinate: This is my worst X-spell; the others are all good at controlling the board, while gaining 40 life off Exsanguinate's sometimes isn't good enough.

There's plenty of stuff that could go in instead (top contenders include Mana Geyser, Shattering Pulse, and Darksteel Sentinel), but I was wondering if anyone had something clever and techy?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-01 9:40 am 

I LOVE Havoc Festival in my Kaervek deck. There was that one game where I got it and Wound Reflection out in the same game, but that was an exception.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 11:05 pm 

Since I had this dragged out to play against Segrus, thought I'd update the list a bit...

Out: Rune-scarred Demon, Exsanguinate, Worn Powerstone, -1 Swamp, -2 Mountain
In: Read the Bones, Wayfarer's Bauble, Foriysian Totem, Badlands, Bloodstained Mire, Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace

This is still one of my favorite builds. I've tried a few different gimmicks and combos over the years, but the sneaky burn-control build with lots of table-interactions and realpolitiking is the best.

Lightning Greaves is probably the next card to get cut. Ideally it'd become a Rolling Earthquake, but that's kind of a stretch. All is Dust would be reasonable too, or it could just become a Surveyor's Scope. I finally got a Badlands and Bloodstained Mire, which is pretty cool... the only other lands I'd like are a Shadowblood Ridge and a Thawing Glaciers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 7:27 am 

Maybe go for the Magmaquake instead of Rolling Earthquake so you can hit a few planeswalkers directly? That's all I've got, the list is pretty sweet. Makes me almost want to switch my Rakdos, Lord of Riot decks over...but I really like it at the moment.

Sometime I'll have to see it in action against more than one player.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 7:41 am 

Kemev wrote:
the only other lands I'd like are a Shadowblood Ridge and a Thawing Glaciers.
Totally undestandable. Got those duals and fetches covered, but that Shadowblood Ridge would just break the bank, huh? ;)

I kid, but thanks for posting this. I just realized yesterday that I'd been cannibalizing my Kaervek for cards for other decks and now it drastically needs repairing (soooo many black decks but only so many Damnations and Decrees of Pain to go around, y'know!).
But at this point, with the state it's in now I can't just subsititue the cards I pilfered. Gonna have to do a serious overhaul. I like the overall look of your list so that'll give me a good starting point. Might be a while before I actually get it done, but if and when I do I'll try to post the result and we can compare notes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 8:12 am 

This deck is just beautiful. It makes me feel such a sadistic glee. My only comment is: why all the crappy dual lands? It doesn't seem you need that much coloration. And at least replace Urborg Volcano with the strictly better Akoum Refuge or Blackcleave Cliffs

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 9:38 am 

I feel like Fate Unraveler and Erebos, God of the Dead have a place somewhere.

Erebos is value, and stops people undoing your pain.

Unraveler is another pain card that doesn't give away cards.

In a vacuum I don't like Kagemaro and Malfegor together, but in reality the conflict probably doesn't come up often does it?

I'll assume Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast are meta calls/you really hate blue. Consider possibly Ricochet Trap which is more universal and still stops a lot of nasty blue stuff.

I think some recursion wouldn't hurt this list. You have the life link to fuel Phyrexian Reclamation.

Burnished Hart? Activates Vicious Shadows late game at least.

People have mentioned it, and I agree that Defiler is not ideal IMO.

Whip of Erebos may or may not be better then Basilisk Collar. It is another source of life link however.

Is infect to much? If not Glistening Oil is interesting and could drastically speed up Kaervek killing people, while being reusable itself. Throw in Pestilence Demon (nevermind, not really a party) and you have a party.

Master of Cruelties? Mogis, God of Slaughter?

Last edited by GoodbyeWorld on 2014-Feb-21 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 10:19 am 

What about Possibility Storm? Does anyone feel this card to be a good fit for a deck like this? Or is it too "LOL RANDOM" annoying?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 10:37 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
What about Possibility Storm? Does anyone feel this card to be a good fit for a deck like this? Or is it too "LOL RANDOM" annoying?

The possibility of that card is probably low. It looks like it would invalidate too many good sorceries the deck really needs to resolve at the right times, as well as some instants. Enchantments would probably be okay, as well as creatures. Artifacts would be up the air--if you play Storm too early, you could draw into Batterskull which turns into a Worn Powerstone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 10:45 am 

Segrus wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

The possibility of that card is probably low. It looks like it would invalidate too many good sorceries the deck really needs to resolve at the right times, as well as some instants. Enchantments would probably be okay, as well as creatures. Artifacts would be up the air--if you play Storm too early, you could draw into Batterskull which turns into a Worn Powerstone.

Makes sense. I'll probably avoid it then. If my build winds up different I can reevaluate based on this input, but it'll probably be a nonbo with too many things. I should just put it in Melek instead.

Offline Profile