Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 4:08 pm

Post subject: Hazezon Tamar - Dune Flavor Project
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 3:59 am 

When EDH first crossed the table in front of the Wendy's @ the university's foodcourt I thought hey this is a great idea I don't have nearly enough good cards to build a standard deck & Ravnica is awesome. Queue merging Selesnya & Boros into a single unit. It was bad. Very bad. The general choice should have made that clear. Eventually he would be replaced by the antler dragon in true FTV antler art. Now like Paul he rises from the ashes of the binder where to the Dune flavor deck.

The Decklist as it comes along will be compiled in the spoiler section only including (non-cast) cards I already have. Off-Theme cards marked in Bold.
Cast in order of appearance - 9
Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran - Gurney Hallek
Mother of Runes - Lady Jessica
Lovisa Coldeyes - Chani
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Stilgar => Meng Huo, Barbarian King if I get lucky or stop being cheap
Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker - Princess Irulan
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - St. Alia of the Knife
Solemn Simulacrum - Ghola Idaho
Thraben Doomsayer - The Preacher at Arakeen (Children of Dune)
Transcendent Master - Kwisatz Haderach Idaho

Creatures - 17
Autochthon Wurm
Captain of the Watch
Enlisted Wurm
Hornet Queen
Living Hive
Novablast Wurm
Pelakka Wurm
Plated Slagwurm
Symbiotic Wurm
Wurmcoil Engine
Balefire Liege
Dragon Broodmother
Elvish Piper
Flame-Kin Zealot
Rith, the Awakener
Oracle of Mul Daya
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Wilt-Leaf Liege

Planeswalkers (4)
Ajani Goldmane
Ajani Vengeant
Garruk Wildspeaker
Sarkhan Vol

Enchantment (12)

Asceticism or Steely Resolve for flavor
Defense of the Heart
Doubling Season
Fires of Yavimaya
Heartbeat of Spring
Intangible Virtue
Land Tax
Leyline of the Meek
Lurking Predators
Marshal's Anthem
Rites of Flourishing
Sylvan Library
Terra Eternal

Instants (7)

Condemn
Krosan Grip
Lightning Helix
Shields of Velis Vel
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Return to Dust

Sorcery (13)

Cultivate
Decree of Justice
Farseek
Genesis Wave
Harmonize
Hour of Reckoning
Life from the Loam
Martial Coup
Natural Order
Nature's Lore
Rampant Growth
Tooth and Nail
Wrath of God

Artifact (4)

Grappling Hook
Lightning Greaves
Sol Ring
Sunforger

Lands - 33

Fire-Lit Thicket
Mistveil Plains
Plateau
Rugged Prairie
Sacred Foundry
Stomping Ground
Sunpetal Grove - Seeking another Savannah
Taiga
Temple Garden
Wooded Bastion
Plains x 7
Forest x 8
Mountain x8

Commander
Hazezon Tamar

Starting off with Mwua'dib here I thought the best way to start is to pick up on things that make his Fremen into Fedaykin the primary focus should be the horde. Underlined cards I do not have.

Balefire Liege
Wilt-Leaf Liege
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Flame-Kin Zealot
Furystoke Giant
Sarkhan Vol
Ajani Goldmane
Leyline of the Meek
Doubling Season
Fires of Yavimaya
Intangible Virtue
Marshal's Anthem
Boartusk Liege
Muraganda Petroglyphs
Glorious Anthem
Gaea's Anthem
Parallel Lives
Coat of Arms
Eldrazi Monument

Total - 19

From this early start I noticed that few of these cards fit the flavor of the Fremen. There are no Goblins, Spirits, Elves, Giants, Elementals or Planeswalkers within the Dune universe. As Stilgar says in Children of Dune, "Send men to ride worms!" Unfortunately worms aren't properly represented so Wurms will have to do.

Autochthon Wurm
Siege Wurm
Plated Slagwurm
Symbiotic Wurm
Wurmcoil Engine
Pelakka Wurm
Enlisted Wurm
Novablast Wurm
Elder Land Wurm
Pouncing Wurm
Phantom Wurm
Battering Wurm
Penumbra Wurm
Engulfing Slagwurm
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Crush of Wurms
Roar of the Wurm

Total - 17

The Wurms helped with the flavor. I found myself seeking cards to represent iconic aspects & characters of the initial trilogy (Dune, Dune Messiah & Children of Dune) currently I am sorely lacking in characters properly representing the cast something that requires much more fleshing out before this is ready.

Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran - Gurney Hallek
Lovisa Coldeyes - Chani
Thraben Doomsayer - The Preacher at Arakeen (Children of Dune)
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - Stilgar

Total - 4

Once I reached this point I had run out of ideas for flavor so I started focusing on core cards to fix the primary problem of Hazezon's inherent weaknesses.

Dawntreader Elk
Oracle of Mul Daya
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Solemn Simulacrum
Land Tax
Terra Eternal
Rampant Growth
Farseek
Cultivate
Life from the Loam
Sacred Ground
Crucible of Worlds
Cloudstone Curio

Total - 13

The rest of the list is generic staple EDH & token stuff and less flavorful but as its a work in progress and they will help the deck win games they're included.

Creatures (8)
Living Hive
Cloudgoat Ranger
Captain of the Watch
Dragon Broodmother
Rith, the Awakener
Elvish Piper
Terastodon
Sun Titan

Planeswalkers (2)
Garruk Wildspeaker
Ajani Vengeant

Enchantment (13)

Sylvan Library
Rites of Flourishing
Heartbeat of Spring
Defense of the Heart
Lurking Predators

Instants (5)
Shields of Velis-Veil
Condemn
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Krosan Grip
Return to Dust

Sorcery (10)

Harmonize
Hour of Reckoning
Tooth and Nail
Decree of Justice
Natural Order
Wrath of God
Waves of Aggression
Martial Coup
World at War
Genesis Wave

Artifact (4)

Sol Ring
Sunforger
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots

I'm sitting @ 95 cards not counting lands. I wanna win with tokens & wurms, I want to put flavor first where I can but not lose something crucial to the core plan. Additions, cuts, and by all mean suggestions for characters from the series are most wanted.

Oh and if you haven't read the books, watched the 2000-2003 miniseries, or the 1984 movie you probably should but http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page should help the uninitiated.

Hazezon Tamar - Dune Flavor Project

I'm just glad I'm not in a group that has to worry about a Sky Hussar combo.

Last edited by InOzWeTrust on 2012-Mar-25 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hazezon Tamar - Dune Flavor Project
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 4:40 am 

It needs a crysknife, but the closest I could find was Rakdos Riteknife

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 9:29 am 

Awesome idea! I just reread the original Dune after 15 years and it's as awesome as I remembered.

You can use thopters, the best of which are probably Pilgrim's Eye, Thopter Squadron, and Thopter Assembly.

I also think Battle Cry cards would both be on theme and effective in your deck. Hero of Bladehold and Hero of Oxid Ridge are human and the former makes Soldiers, which doesn't break theme.

As Desslock says, you'll need some crysknives. How about Banshee's Blade (the art looks pretty close)?

Human Berserkers and Warriors seem to work for the Fremen, and they get a bonus from Lovisa. Here are a couple that, either because of their name or art might fit:
Sandstone Warrior
Vulshok Battlemaster
Blade-Tribe Berserkers
Berserkers of Blood Ridge
Akoum Battlesinger (Ally)
Spiraling Duelist
Hada Freeblade (Ally)
Kazandu Blademaster (Ally)
Jeska, Warrior Adept
Oran-Rief Survivalist (Ally)
Renegade Warlord
Desert Nomads

You could also try a couple zealots:
Mystic Zealot
Zealot il-Vec
Zealots en-Dal

How about cards that draw off the theme of Arakkis as a Desert planet?
Desert Sandstorm
Sandstorm
Burning Sands
Desert Twister
Martyr of Sands
Quicksand
Reverse the Sands
Swirling Sandstorm
Desert
Granite Grip (flavor text, Urza's Legacy)
Saltfield Recluse (flavor text)

Mother of Runes works for Jessica or any other Reverend Mother. You can use Pithing Needle for their Gom Jabar. I'm sure there are some other Clerics that fit the theme if you search for them.

None of the above cards are powerhouses but hopefully they give you an idea of what other themes you can include. Good luck!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 5:02 pm 

Desslock wrote:
It needs a crysknife, but the closest I could find was Rakdos Riteknife

That was a big problem in the brainstorming process the closest I could find was Elbrus, the Binding Blade which of course also doesn't work :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 7:01 pm 

Awesome props to spin13 for the Reverend Mother reference! Also, I agree that Banshee's Blade is probably as close to a crysknife as we are going to get. Thank you InOzWeTrust for starting this thread. I may make this my next deck :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 7:59 pm 

spin13 wrote:
Awesome idea! I just reread the original Dune after 15 years and it's as awesome as I remembered.

You can use thopters, the best of which are probably Pilgrim's Eye, Thopter Squadron, and Thopter Assembly.

Yes, Yes, Probably.

spin13 wrote:
I also think Battle Cry cards would both be on theme and effective in your deck. Hero of Bladehold and Hero of Oxid Ridge are human and the former makes Soldiers, which doesn't break theme.

I agree. Bladehold was in the initial build on tappedout and Oxid Ridge is decent and worth getting once he rotates.

spin13 wrote:
As Desslock says, you'll need some crysknives. How about Banshee's Blade (the art looks pretty close)?

Lashknife Barrier might be as close as I get to a good "knife" card. Acidic Dagger is another worthwhile thought. Both represent the power of the Fremen blades to kill any foe and protect their ideals. Probably the Barrier tho.

spin13 wrote:
Human Berserkers and Warriors seem to work for the Fremen, and they get a bonus from Lovisa. Here are a couple that, either because of their name or art might fit:
Sandstone Warrior
Vulshok Battlemaster
Blade-Tribe Berserkers
Berserkers of Blood Ridge
Akoum Battlesinger (Ally)
Spiraling Duelist
Hada Freeblade (Ally)
Kazandu Blademaster (Ally)
Jeska, Warrior Adept
Oran-Rief Survivalist (Ally)
Renegade Warlord
Desert Nomads

You could also try a couple zealots:
Mystic Zealot
Zealot il-Vec
Zealots en-Dal

How about cards that draw off the theme of Arakkis as a Desert planet?
Desert Sandstorm
Sandstorm
Burning Sands
Desert Twister
Martyr of Sands
Quicksand
Reverse the Sands
Swirling Sandstorm
Desert
Granite Grip (flavor text, Urza's Legacy)
Saltfield Recluse (flavor text)

I had thought warriors/barbarians/berserkers once I included Lovisa to give haste to the horde. Kazandu Blademaster would make a fine Duncan Idaho (original) but seems moderately week. Auriok Bladewarden could be more in flavor with the original and yet Transcendent Master is much more what Duncan becomes.

Desert Nomads obviously. Thanks I didn't have any Arabian Nights in my collection.

Desert Twister, Reverse the Sands, Swirling Sandstorm, and Desert all yes. I've long since wanted a reason to play Reverse the Sands and Swriling Sandstorm can easily be a flavor wrath.

spin13 wrote:
Mother of Runes works for Jessica or any other Reverend Mother. You can use Pithing Needle for their Gom Jabar. I'm sure there are some other Clerics that fit the theme if you search for them.

None of the above cards are powerhouses but hopefully they give you an idea of what other themes you can include. Good luck!

Wow. Thank you. I had looked for wizards and clerics for Jessica but never considered her status as Reverend Mother. Looks dead on the Gom Jabar I might have no choice.

Desslock wrote:
Awesome props to spin13 for the Reverend Mother reference! Also, I agree that Banshee's Blade is probably as close to a crysknife as we are going to get. Thank you InOzWeTrust for starting this thread. I may make this my next deck :D

Please do I hope for more feedback. The spice must flow.

Update for Cast:

Transcendent Master - Duncan Idaho
Mother of Runes - Lady Jessica
Meng Huo, Barbarian King or Darien, King of Kjeldor - Stilgar
Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker - Princess Irulan
Wurmweaver Coil - Leto II :P

Also Grappling Hook & Wurmcalling shall be played together.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-26 5:02 am 

I'll see if I can get a comparative list form a guy in my play group this Wednesday. He finished off his Hazezon Dune list a few months back, and has been using MWS to alter in movie art. It's pretty awesome.

--->DJ

Co-Author, Dear Azami - StarCityGames.com

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-26 5:04 am 

These work really well for Hazezon tokens

http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... RTOKEN.jpg

Just took it on a thumb drive to office depot, and had them print it out on cardstock. They could do 9 to a page.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-26 5:06 pm 

DRathvon wrote:
These work really well for Hazezon tokens

http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... RTOKEN.jpg

Just took it on a thumb drive to office depot, and had them print it out on cardstock. They could do 9 to a page.

That is bad ass...I did offer the artist girlfriend first crack at it tho. Perhaps she will bow to existing work. *crosses fingers*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-07 6:26 pm 

Piston Sledge. There were no goblins on Dune, but if there were, they would use thumpers, too.
Mind's Eye. Because Muad'Dib did not need Tleilaxu eyes.
Pilgrim of Justice. A thousand deaths are not enough for Yueh (and don't you think the Baron would have been red-no self control)
Infiltration Lens. The spice was used by many to see into the future-both Reverend Mothers and Guild Navigators.
Cartographer-Liet (Exodus version). He started as the Imperial Planetologist.
Slagwurm Armor-What Leto II had after his "transformation".

It's a shame we can't go into blue-then we could have mentats.

I'm trying to find something that looks appropriate for a stillsuite. The Scars of Mirodin art for Mindslaver looks good, but the mechanics don't just mesh with it. (Unless we call Slagwurm Armor our stillsuite.)

There has to be something that can represent Paul/Muad'Dib/Usul. I'm stuck on this one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-07 7:26 pm 

Desslock wrote:
Piston Sledge. There were no goblins on Dune, but if there were, they would use thumpers, too.
Mind's Eye. Because Muad'Dib did not need Tleilaxu eyes.
Pilgrim of Justice. A thousand deaths are not enough for Yueh (and don't you think the Baron would have been red-no self control)
Infiltration Lens. The spice was used by many to see into the future-both Reverend Mothers and Guild Navigators.
Cartographer-Liet (Exodus version). He started as the Imperial Planetologist.
Slagwurm Armor-What Leto II had after his "transformation".

It's a shame we can't go into blue-then we could have mentats.

I'm trying to find something that looks appropriate for a stillsuite. The Scars of Mirodin art for Mindslaver looks good, but the mechanics don't just mesh with it. (Unless we call Slagwurm Armor our stillsuite.)

There has to be something that can represent Paul/Muad'Dib/Usul. I'm stuck on this one.

Paul is Hazezon. He rallies the Fremen and builds an army.
Liet-Kines I fogot about him. Not bad.
LUL Dr. Yuei. Yeah that is pretty bouse. A Burrenton Forge-Tender with a bigger ass.
Piston Sledge is pretty bad whereas Mind's Eye is amazingly good. I've been looking for a reason to run one.
Slagwurm Armor was probably going to be the stillsuit although it may become Darksteel Plate.

I have a Cloudstone Curio on the way and with Stormfront Riders and a few nomads from my binder I'm feeling very positive about the flavor currently. I have come to the conclusion I should run the Eternal Witness & Acidic Slime since Curio shenanigans are awesome even if they aren't human. I will do whatever it takes to swing with an army of fremen. Also Leonin Sun Standard so I can deal 56k non-infinite again. A little on the fence about the other come into plays & makes tokens cards since Siege-Gang & it's ilk seem a bit too out of place.

Mother Ramala = Devoted Caretaker anyone else loving that headdress? And hey a second Mother of Runes isn't bad.

With so much flavor possibilities and actually good humans, nomads & not so badly offcolor battle cry cards I'm seeing this as a possible win and flavor even if I deviate for some good cards that enable the mechanics in place. Also big on the Sand, Wind, Dust naming in the cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-26 8:32 am 

http://www.generaldamagecontrol.com/2012/04/next-level-theme-santos-hazezon-tamar.html

Sorry this took a while to dig up and put together.

List is included, along with several (admittedly low-DPI) MSE renders. There are quite a few more where that came from.

--->DJ

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-26 10:29 am 

InOzWeTrust wrote:
With so much flavor possibilities and actually good humans, nomads & not so badly offcolor battle cry cards I'm seeing this as a possible win and flavor even if I deviate for some good cards that enable the mechanics in place. Also big on the Sand, Wind, Dust naming in the cards.

Dust Elemental?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you, during your upkeep, with Hazezon's sand warrior trigger on the stack, cast your Dust Elemental and return him to hand before they ETB? I've usually been trying to do this trick on my original turn in my own Hazezon deck (the trick being that if he's gone before the warriors appear, no one can kill him to exile them all), but it gets kind of mana intensive and it just occurred to me that I might be able to wait to untap on the following turn and still have it work.

(I also run Whitemane Lion and Stonecloaker, but those would be less thematic for you.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-26 11:08 am 

Because of the way triggers stack, that's correct. The "exile all sand warriors" trigger will resolve before the "Make a bunch of dudes" trigger does, so there'll be nothing on the battlefield yet for the exile to affect.

--->DJ

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-26 6:56 pm 

The gom jabbar is Quietus Spike. It fits flavor and is a pretty good card besides.

Offline Profile