Treetop Village
Urza's Factory
Vesuva
Wasteland
Winding Canyons
Yavimaya Hollow
19 Forest

old list notes:
I originally tried this list without any ramp and 49 land cards, but I found it too slow for the people I was playing against, I hate waiting in the weeds, so I added a little bit of speed to make it more interactive to play with. Not sure how I feel about it yet. The idea is to use power conduit to remove velocity counters from tornado, and age counters from glacial chasm and elephant grass.

Cards I want to try but don't have:
Winding Canyons, Deserted Temple, Homeward Path would be good protection from bribery Woodfall Primus + Melira, Sylvok Outcast if it isn't too douchey - i kind of like claws of gix just as a sac outlet. obviously I won't ever get a Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale for a casual EDH deck, but it would be wicked sick in here. I'd also probably cut Vorinclex for Mana Reflection

Updated 3/16/2012:
Cut all of the ramp spells for lands, also changed out acidic slime and muse for woodfall primus and melira combo. We will see how douchey it is after some testing.
notable nonbasics: Homeward path, winding canyons, deserted temple, tectonic edge, urzas factory, raths edge. Just makes my crop rotations more of a silver bullet. Upping the lands and cutting the spells also has the side effect of making genesis wave INSANE. Only 13 cards in the deck are non-permanents!

Thrun is actually, really sick as a general. He comes down on turn 4 and doesn't afraid of anything. He gets in for a few hits for the win with a power conduit pumping him all the time. Eldrazi almost never swing more than once anyways. My sickest plays in this deck have involved crop rotation for glacial chasm against lethal damage, or tower of the magistrate to shut down a duplicant. Chord of calling for 2 to riftsweep a Joihra Obliterate was really good. Have also gotten out tajuru preserver against an attacking eldrazi. Using Arena with wall of blossoms to tap a blocker then swing for the win feels good too.

Worst thing that has happened to me was getting my mindslaver beacon of unrest'd out and activated on me while tapped out with zuran orb in play.

Kind of enjoyed playing praetor's counsel, but took it out for kozilek. Life from the loam was straight up INSANE in this deck when it had 49 lands in it, but since cutting down the lands for speed its less impressive.

Things that I don't like to play for style reasons:
No avenger of zendikar literally every deck I've seen that runs green uses it because it wins easily,No tooth and nail. wordly tutor I think is bad in any deck except things like mael or maybe UG. Seedborn muse, Omnath and Rofellos aren't in here I feel it's too easy to consider them staples, and I'd rather run a bunch of cool lands. No Azusa, Exploration, or Burgeoning because I'm not running all of the "draw infinite cards" effects that you see in mono green overrun decks.

Looking for advice and input on how to make this deck quick without using ramp spells. I could up the 2 drops by alot and probably be okay. Will test and report.

Thrun, The Last Troll - [MGC]

Last edited by feckingnewb on 2012-Mar-16 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: They See me Trollin' - MGC
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-16 3:34 pm 

Carven Caryatid should be Yavimaya Elder. That thing is a dumbed down version of Primeval Titan.

Pelakka Wurm........ I personally like it, but it's pretty weak.

Prismatic Omen is literally useless in this deck. It doesn't refer to lands in your deck and hand, if that's what you thought, and it does nothing for you with the cards currently in here. There's no such thing as mana fixing in a mono green deck.

Rampant Growth is one of the weakest ramp spells in EDH. Mwonvuli Acid-Moss is a personal favorite of mine.

Tornado is pretty weak and Elephant Grass has the potential for strength, but when it is strong, it's just a douche move.

The Furnace should probably be Relic of Prog.

Power Conduit seems okay with the deck as is and will suck if you listen to me and get rid of Tornado and Grass.

Predator, Flagship seems a bit weak, and I don't know what the Coffin is even doing here.

Finally, Inkmoth Nexus is kind of a dick move in most decks.

Cards that are good replacements:
Vigor
Asceticism
Woodfall Primus (without Melira, he's not that douchy)
Cauldron of Souls
Hibernation's End
Birthing Pod
Green Sun's Zenith
Sword of Feast and Famine
Garruk Wildspeaker

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-16 9:01 pm 

If you're going for a trolling move...

Hall of Gemstone doesn't lock people out of the game... but it certainly slows down multicolor decks, without hampering your playstyle at all.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Teneb, the Harvester

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-16 9:37 pm 

Thanks for the feedback Kong. Some clarifications:

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Carven Caryatid should be Yavimaya Elder. That thing is a dumbed down version of Primeval Titan.

I like that caryatid blocks early beats from everything except serra ascendant, I will probably try out the elder in its place just to see though.

Quote:
Pelakka Wurm........ I personally like it, but it's pretty weak.

I tried it after seeing it on someone else's list. 7/7 trample for 7, nets you 7 life when it hits the board (which in this deck is relevant since you are using glacial chasm or tornado, taking early beats before you stabilize (usually turn 6) then you draw a card when it dies. It's good food for miren and greater good if nothing else. As a value creature, it may not be the best but has way more synergy with this deck than Avenger of Zendikar. I would cut an eldrazi before I cut this.

Quote:
Prismatic Omen is literally useless in this deck. It doesn't refer to lands in your deck and hand, if that's what you thought, and it does nothing for you with the cards currently in here. There's no such thing as mana fixing in a mono green deck.

Prismatic Omen actually works really well in this deck, more than half of my lands either don't tap for mana or produce colorless mana. It functions the same way Urborg does in other decks. I've also made sick plays by using vesuva to copy a cabal coffers with this in play.

Quote:
Rampant Growth is one of the weakest ramp spells in E DH. Mwonvuli Acid-Moss is a personal favorite of mine.

A friend showed me that card a few months ago,agreed, awesome little known card. I went ahead and cut out all of the ramp spells. I found myself having to take mulligans I wouldn't normally take, or missing early land drops when I played with all of the ramp effects. This decks strategy is to survive and play lands every turn, and steamroll into late game with a crushing board - the ramp effects made for a safer/smoother early game, but put me on the same level as everyone else late in the game.

Quote:
Tornado is pretty weak and Elephant Grass has the potential for strength, but when it is strong, it's just a douche move.

I think Tornado is pretty good when you consider you can activate it 4 times before your next turn comes around in an edh game.

Quote:
The Furnace should probably be Relic of Prog.

I'm using both this and tormods, there are times when I wouldn't be able to use the relic to stop something without losing my genesis, or loam targets. Furnace will break a combo without setting me back situationally like relic would.

Quote:
Power Conduit seems okay with the deck as is and will suck if you listen to me and get rid of Tornado and Grass.

Predator, Flagship seems a bit weak, and I don't know what the Coffin is even doing here.

I wasnt sold on predator flagship until I used it you'd be surprised how many things you need to kill that already fly. PF and tawnos coffin both fill the same role as the only re-usable removal cards available to a mono green deck. Tawnos's Coffin is kind of a pet card of mine, I use it every turn. It functions as an additional maze of ith, colorless removal, and a blink effect to abuse ETB triggers on my own guys. (EOT coffin my Carven Caryatid, untap my coffin, draw a card) It has saved thrun numerous times, because Murphys law states that when I have thrun out and need to wipe the board, my deck will only give me all is dust.

Quote:
Finally, Inkmoth Nexus is kind of a dick move in most decks.

I haven't heard anyone complain about Inkmoth nexus before, care to elaborate? We play with 20 poison at my shop, but the most ive ever gotten on anyone has been 7.

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try Yavimaya Elder soon, Hibernations End is a cool card I didn't know about til now. I'd play it in a green aggro deck that has a birthing pod ramp for sure.

Last edited by feckingnewb on 2012-Mar-16 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-16 9:40 pm 

nox wrote:
If you're going for a trolling move...

Hall of Gemstone doesn't lock people out of the game... but it certainly slows down multicolor decks, without hampering your playstyle at all.

And it's only a .50 cent card too, I saw Hall of Gemstone in someones Mono Green deck on here today, I'm going to look for one and try it. I like that people aren't going to realize their lands tap for green mana when they try to do EOT effects on my turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-16 10:24 pm 

City of Solitude or the Kamigawa creature that did the same, is what you want.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-16 10:34 pm 

Joz wrote:

Dosan, the Falling Leaf? Better, agreed. I'd rather not run these effects at all in retrospect. Blowing up artifacts on your own turn? What is this, Portal?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-17 12:35 pm 

feckingnewb wrote:
Joz wrote:

Dosan, the Falling Leaf? Better, agreed. I'd rather not run these effects at all in retrospect. Blowing up artifacts on your own turn? What is this, Portal?

For Thrun, I don't think I'd care too much about Dosan or City of Solitude.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-17 3:08 pm 

I agree with Sinis. Your general is literally completely invunerable to spot removal, including counterspells. Dosan would not do much more than hinder you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-17 3:30 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I agree with Sinis. Your general is literally completely invunerable to spot removal, including counterspells. Dosan would not do much more than hinder you.

its to stop everything else from being countered, so you can do things like cast a Sword to get past a x/5 blocker...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-17 6:36 pm 

City of Solitude stops you from regenerating Thrun on anyone else's turn, just for the record. Likewise, without mana rocks or Prismatic Omen (maybe? I'd need to double-check on how the layering works there) on the board, Hall of Gemstone will keep you off green when sorcery-speed wipes are going off.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-17 9:48 pm 

Yeah, it would be sub-optimal for a million reasons. This isn't supposed to be a top tier deck, it answers counter magic by crop rotating for boseiju. I don't think I should bother planning what to do against the mono u combo player, because this whole strategy isn't appropriate for that level of competitiveness anyways.

I think the issue im having is my 1 and 3 drops. Exploration would be a good upgrade over gaes touch - the rattlesnake mana has come in handy too any times to count though. I don't have access to an exploration without buying one online right now however.

The 2 drop slot is pretty well filled, everything adds value well enough. Is yavimaya elder better than solemn simulacrum? In theory: its only slightly worse.
+ simulacrum rampant growths for me without colored mana sources
+ interacts with tawnos's coffin for value, whereas elder does not.
- costs an additional mana, fills the slot already taken by Thrun which is bad in certain situations.
- nets me one less card than elder

Id be willing to try running both to see how it is, I havent actually played with Elder in any deck before.

I wish there was a wall that destroyed artifacts or enchantments, like a 0/4 sex monkey would be godly.

Offline Profile