Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 9:01 am

Post subject: Edric - Helpdeck (looking for more help ideas)
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 3:18 pm 

This list started off in old fashioned solid Blue/Green because Experiment Kraj was just an odd little dude. Cue Doubling Season & Graft and in general nothing good coming of it. Then Edric was spoiled and I knew who the new general was. Starting off I ran with a suite of unblockables & untargetables feeling they were the most "blue green" thing I could think of for a deck and eventually it morphed into an attempt at a helpdeck. I'm posting this list because of all the iterations along the way I'm kind of all over the place and am just looking for some good ideas. It plays reliably solid accelerating everyone into the late game and even has some fatties to end it on my terms but lately I've been helping myself to their stuff and encouraging the chaos of multiplayer.

Creatures - 30 - Sorted by CMC
Magus of the Vineyard - Help
Veteran Explorer - Help

Invisible Stalker
Jhessian Infiltrator Silhana Ledgewalker
Phantasmal Image
Spellskite

Cold-Eyed Selkie
Eternal Witness
Loaming Shaman - Help
Mul Daya Channelers

Clone
Mystic Snake
Oracle of Mul Daya
Phyrexian Metamorph
Solemn Simulacrum
Venser, Shaper Savant

Acidic Slime
Genesis
Kodama of the North Tree
Murkfiend Liege
Overbeing of Myth
Seedborn Muse
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Deadwood Treefolk
Draining Whelk
Duplicant
Frost Titan
Keiga, the Tide Star
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer
Primeval Titan
Sun Quan, Lord of Wu
Wurmcoil Engine

Hornet Queen
Simic Sky Swallower

Terastodon

Enchantments - 13
Asceticism - Help
Bear Umbra
Copy Enchantment
Control Magic - Help myself to their hard work
Dance of Many
Defense of the Heart - Help myself to their hard work
Heartbeat of Spring - Help
Hibernation's End
Lurking Predators - Becoming an Elvish Piper
Rites of Flourishing - Help
Leyline of Anticipation
Sylvan Library
Treachery - Help myself to their hard work

Spells - 14
Beast Within
Counterspell
Collective Voyage - Help
Desertion - Help myself to their hard work
Dismiss
Evacuation
Genesis Wave
Hinder
Minds Aglow - Help
Natural Order
Pact of Negation
Primal Command - Help
Rite of Replication - I cannot resist the shiny
Spell Crumple
Spin into Myth
Tooth and Nail
Voidslime

Artifacts - 4
Birthing Pod
Lightning Greaves
Loxodon Warhammer
Nevinyrral's Disk
Sol Ring

Planeswalker - 3
Jace Beleren - Help
Garruk Wildspeaker
Karn Liberated

Lands worth mentioning
Llanowar Reborn
Reliquary Tower
Novijen, Heart of Progress
Strip Mine
Tectonic Edge
Vesuva

Alright so overall it's getting more to where I want it to go but my hands on experience with Magic has this large gap from 4th edition until Ravnica so I'm looking for more help with help cards. Some things I'm considering below please add more.

Momir Vig
Swiftfoot Boots
Sower of Temptation - $$
Gilded Drake - $$
Heartwood Storyteller

Curse of Echoes
Copy Artifact
Temple Bell
Horn of Greed - On the Way

Hazezon Tamar - Dune Flavor Project

I'm just glad I'm not in a group that has to worry about a Sky Hussar combo.

Last edited by InOzWeTrust on 2012-Mar-17 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Edric - Helpdeck (looking for more help ideas)
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-06 10:53 am 

I read this as "Help me find a theme".

In that case I suggest the following (and I hope you ever played Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012):
Step 1. Take Kiora Atua's deck including all the unlockable cards (for reference see here)
Step 2. Cut down to 1offs.
Step 3. Fill up thematically - Ramp spells, Ramp dudes, fat beaters and big splashy effects.

This is how I'm building my own Edric deck (though I'm still missing some of the cards from the list).

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-06 3:08 pm 

I guess I worded that pretty badly. The goal is to convert this over into a group friendly helpdeck. General group help cards that don't blow me out (i.e. Concordant Crossroads) while not completely lacking the ability to win. I have not actually played Duels of the Planeswalkers I was never on Steam until the winter sale and the general reviews are the game is not for people who actually play Magic.

The Yes

Polymorph I'm helping! Yeah definately on the lookout for this.

The Maybe

Elvish Piper would be another cheat mechanc and might be worth looking into so I don't tap out so often.

Inkwell Leviathan shroud, trample, semi-unblockable. Yeah seems good. Problem is being mono-blue I can't cheat it out with Natural Order if I need it.

Rite of Replication I didn't want this to be another I cast Rite and win but somehow seems wrong not to play any of my copies.

Yavimaya's Embrace like Coiling Oracle I cut general use vs mana cost long ago but if I find a Copy Enchantment it could go back in just for giggles.

Lorthos, the Tidemaker. Brothos would be awesome with Bear Umbra. But otherwise not. I may toss him in while I wait on Heartbeat to ship.

The No

Kozilek, Butcher of Truth & Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre I won't ever play an Eldrazzi not named Monument/Conscription. Even Conscription is too mean sometimes.

Aether Mutation I don't really like tokens for this without Doubling Season which would fundamentally change the direction.

Self draw isn't really the goal why fuel just myself when I can fuel everyone which would also let Multani be rediculus if he swings. I've already removed Ancestral Vision which could very well be the most efficent draw card in the format simply cause I either didn't need the extra cards or it just wasn't "help."

Sorcery mana ramp is just bad IMO. If I was playing 3-5 color maybe I'd include Farseek to find shocklands but otherwise if it can't 2 for 1 it's like wasting a slot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-07 12:18 pm 

Sorry I misread you - but if you like Polymorph, I shall advise you to look at Proteus Staff. Repeatable Polymorph and a great tool in multiplayer politics, too.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-11 8:58 am 

I recently won a game with Seedborn Muse, Opposition, Ant Queen, and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir...just tapped down all their permanents during each of their upkeeps with an ever-growing army of bugs. Regardless, when you're playing with lots of cheap creatures, I found Opposition to be a fantastic card for tapping down blockers, or stopping people from attacking.

I also really like man-lands in this deck... Faerie Conclave, Treetop Village, Mishra's Factory, Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus, and Mutavault are all excellent examples. After a board wipe, you can toss out Edric again, animate your lands and swing for massive card advantage, while everyone else is still trying to recover.

Being able to untap your lands multiple times per turn is also really useful... Things like Bear Umbra, Nature's Will, and Sword of Feast and Famine let you cast all the new things you drew from attacking.

Spitting Image is also fantastic in this deck, as you will probably have more lands in hand than you know what to do with.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Teneb, the Harvester

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-11 10:08 am 

IMHO, Trygon Predator is the best UG card in the game. It is a 2/3 flier for 3, and whenever it hits an opponent (which will be pretty often), you get to destroy an artifact or enchantment. That's pretty freaking good if you ask me.

Consecrated Sphinx is amazing with all the group hug draw cards. Other good group hug cards that have synergy with it are Temple Bell, Flux, Font of Mythos, Lore Broker, Horn of Greed, and Mikokoro.

Not sure if it will be helpful or not, but a card I love running in group hug decks is Forced Fruition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-17 11:23 pm 

nox wrote:
I recently won a game with Seedborn Muse, Opposition, Ant Queen, and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir...just tapped down all their permanents during each of their upkeeps with an ever-growing army of bugs. Regardless, when you're playing with lots of cheap creatures, I found Opposition to be a fantastic card for tapping down blockers, or stopping people from attacking.

That really isn't the goal here. Infinite creatures can be found in Ghave and there's enough anger about that as is. The Queen herself may make an appearance so I can have a win con/stabilize condition later on with recently pitching the whorewhammer.

nox wrote:
I also really like man-lands in this deck... Faerie Conclave, Treetop Village, Mishra's Factory, Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus, and Mutavault are all excellent examples. After a board wipe, you can toss out Edric again, animate your lands and swing for massive card advantage, while everyone else is still trying to recover.

If it isn't big enough to survive swinging or has some evasion to guarantee a card draw it isn't quite what I need at this point. Blinkmoth & Mishra were once considered but color requirements are still quite high. The Conclave could go in but a Tolaria West to find the Reliquary Tower seems like a bitter fit. Also no poision. Hateful mechanic & not helpful maybe in Kraj tho.

nox wrote:
Being able to untap your lands multiple times per turn is also really useful... Things like Bear Umbra, Nature's Will, and Sword of Feast and Famine let you cast all the new things you drew from attacking.

Spitting Image is also fantastic in this deck, as you will probably have more lands in hand than you know what to do with.

Nature's Will isn't helpful. Sword yeah but it requires me to hit them and make them discard a card (also not helpful) and $30+ last I checked. Spitting Image. Yeah I've been looking for one can't find one for trade.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
IMHO, Trygon Predator is the best UG card in the game. It is a 2/3 flier for 3, and whenever it hits an opponent (which will be pretty often), you get to destroy an artifact or enchantment. That's pretty freaking good if you ask me.

Trygon was looked at tonight but the slot that was Curse of Echoes for Time Stretch.deck became Silhana Ledgewalker since I have cut the Murkfiend Liege the U/G isn't as strong anymore.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Consecrated Sphinx is amazing with all the group hug draw cards. Other good group hug cards that have synergy with it are Temple Bell, Flux, Font of Mythos, Lore Broker, Horn of Greed, and Mikokoro.

Nope. Not even gonna think about that thing. So much hate for it on the forum and only helps me. I've got enough guilt from Ghave I don't need more here. Temple Bell yeah I want it alongside a Copy Artifact once I find one for trade I'll look for the other. I actually do have a Horn of Greed on the way in a bulk deal from ebay so yeah that was a lucky find. Mikokoro is a hope that will be in FTV to make it worthwhile. Since you know not From the Vaults just From Recent Sets not on the Reserve List.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Not sure if it will be helpful or not, but a card I love running in group hug decks is Forced Fruition.

Yeah Forced Fruition is pretty good and with Copy Enchantment that is extra fun end the game. It's on the back burner and will probably go into my planned Taxes deck around Grand Arbiter & Jin-Citaxias. Nickle & dime you to death and play as many Tithe and payback cards. Once he cycles out that is.

Offline Profile