Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 2:07 pm

Post subject: Jaya Ballard Makes Toast
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-04 8:29 pm 

"Yes, I think 'toast' is an appropriate description."
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."
"Overkill? This isn't a game of Kick-The-Ouphe!"
"Who needs the sun when you've got me around?"
"Anybody want some...toast?"
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."
--Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

What will this deck do to your opponent(s) and your opponent'(s) creatures?

Burn them, crisp them, ignite them, light them, set fire to them, kindle them, toast them, incinerate them, shock them, bake them, broil them, roast them, cook them, char them, scald them, scorch them, singe them, smolder them, torch them, sear them, cremate them, set them aflame, burninate them, and downright reduce them to ashes.

Sparkmaster General:
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Firestarters:
Balefire Dragon
Bloodfire Colossus
Bogardan Hellkite
Cinder Elemental
Fire Dragon
Fire Servant
Inferno Titan
Malignus
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Wall of Lava

Mana Rocks (of Ages):
Caged Sun
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Might
Gauntlet of Power
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring

I Don't Have a Fire-Related Descriptor For These Damn 4 Enchantments:
Braid of Fire
Curse of Bloodletting
Glacial Crevasses
Repercussion

Firesuits:
Basilisk Collar
Magebane Armor

Fire Fighters (Those who fight with fire):
Chandra Ablaze
Chandra, the Firebrand
Koth of the Hammer

Spontaneous Combustion (Instants and Sorceries):

Blue Hate:
Burnout
Pyroblast

Searing Will Vary:
Banefire
Comet Storm
Demonfire
Devil's Play
Disintegrate
Fanning the Flames
Fireball
Ghitu Fire
Molten Disaster
Price of Progress
Red Sun's Zenith
Rolling Earthquake
Rolling Thunder
Skred
Weight of Spires

Burn Notices (Set Levels of Burn):
Carbonize
Flame Javelin
Flamebreak
Flames of the Blood Hand
Incinerate
Lightning Axe
Lightning Bolt
Magma Jet
Searing Wind
Smash to Smithereens
Thunderous Wrath

BURN BABY BURN (Set Global Burn):
Bonfire of the Damned
Inferno
Rough // Tumble

idk:
Fork
Insurrection
Mirari
Reforge the Soul
Seething Song

Fire Hazards (Lands):
Cavern of Souls
Mouth of Ronom
Scrying Sheets
32 Snow-Covered Mountain
Strip Mine
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Vesuva

This deck only has a few restrictions as to my card choices: No mass land destruction, and it can only relate to fire, burning, energy, magma, melting snow, splitting earth, or good cards. :p

The idea of this fun deck is to burn whoever and whatever you can, especially if it presents a threat to the table to you (or even the well-being of the entire table). This deck is for the most part somewhere between a 1vs1 deck and a 3-4 person EDH deck. I don't quite know how well it tests out, but we shall see soon enough. This deck is really just for fun, so don't tread on it too much for looking silly.

I'll list an explanation of card choices and cards that didn't make it and are still under consideration.

"But Proxy! What if the threat has Shroud or Hexproof and it's too big for your field wipes?"

Then I guess I'm dead then, huh?

Card Choices
Creatures:
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - Arguably one of the inspiring points for all future Planeswalker cards, Jaya is so much fun. She hates on blue, Incinerates players and creatures, and can even do an Inferno-esque field wipe. Plus, she's notorious for awesome flavor texts.

I also like to think that she's trying to tell us something by wearing those tights all the time.

Like that she likes tights.

Balefire Dragon, Bogardan Hellkite, Fire Dragon, Ryusei, the Falling Star, Scourge of Kher Ridges - You know what dragons breathe? Yup. And I've gathered nothing short of the best fire-breathing dragons to help Jaya's mischievous cause.

Bloodfire Colossus, Inferno Titan - Two fiery giants. One lightning bolts every turn, one can Inferno-destruct on command.

Cinder Elemental - Like most of the cards in this deck with X in it, this guy is much, much better in the late game in which case he is a ticking time bomb. I was very surprised by this guy.

Fire Servant - Furnace of Rath? Too risky. Curse of Bloodletting? Very good, but a bit narrow. This guy? Ding ding ding!

Malignus - The sky will cry tears of fire.

Planeswalkers:
Chandra Ablaze - She's very good at disposing of useless cards and getting new hands, as well as making your opponents discard their good stuff. Not to mention that her ultimate will end games in this deck.

Chandra, the Firebrand - She's not as blatantly powerful as Ablaze, but her Fork ability and her ultimate are not to be ignored.

Koth of the Hammer - That Koth ain't right, ah tell ya wut.

Enchantments:
Braid of Fire - Goes well with the aforementioned Cinder Elemental, and makes Comet Storm even more deadly.

Glacial Crevasses - I essentially have over 30 Fogs in my deck! :D

Artifacts:
Caged Sun, Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Might, Gauntlet of Power, Sol Ring - Mana multipliers and rocks.

Sensei's Divining Top - Awesome artifact, terrible Beyblade.

Mana Sinks & Random Burners:
Banefire, Cerebral Eruption, Comet Storm, Demonfire, Devil's Play, Disintegrate, Fanning the Flames, Fireball, Ghitu Fire, Molten Disaster, Red Sun's Zenith, Rolling Earthquake, Rolling Thunder, Spire Barrage - Every single one of these has their own special benefit and they're all potentially game-ending. You have ones that can't be prevented, spread out to multiple targets, exile burned creatures, those that flashback, those with buyback, those that shuffle back in, those that can be played at instant speed, one with split second, one that can hate on any color, and one that loves mountains. There's no such thing as burning enough.

Skred, Weight of Spires - Some very offbeat red creature removal. But the potential is still killer.

Set Levels of Burn:

Blue Hate:
Burnout - Oh I know I'm gonna have fun countering extra turn spells with this. And I get to draw too? Yes please.

Pyroblast - Better than Red Elemental Blast because of the flavor text.

Random Spells:
Fork - Sure, I'll take an extra two turns, Mr. Time Stretch.

Insurrection - It's the original "herp derp I win" card!

Reforge the Soul - She's hot.

Seething Song - Sometimes you just need a little extra push. Has won me games several times.

CHANGE LOGS:
3/5
-1 Snow-Covered Mountain

+1 Vesuva

3/15
-1 Cerebral Eruption
-1 Magma Spray
-1 Mindblaze
-1 Overblaze
-1 Spire Barrage

+1 Basilisk Collar
+1 Curse of Bloodletting
+1 Magebane Armor
+1 Mirari
+1 Repercussion

5/2 - AVACYN RESTORED UPDATE:
-1 Burst Lightning
-1 Flametongue Kavu
-1 Searing Rays
-1 Snow-Covered Mountain
-1 Wall of Lava

+1 Bonfire of the Damned
+1 Cavern of Souls
+1 Malignus
+1 Reforge the Soul
+1 Thunderous Wrath

Hit me up on Magic Online (DeathByForklift) or on Cockatrice (Proxy13)

Last edited by Proxy on 2012-May-02 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jaya Ballard Makes Toast
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-04 8:52 pm 

A buddy of mine uses Magebane Armor and Darksteel Plate so Jaya can survive her own infernos. It's pretty hilarious.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-04 9:00 pm 

Sinis wrote:
A buddy of mine uses Magebane Armor and Darksteel Plate so Jaya can survive her own infernos. It's pretty hilarious.

Funny you should mention those. Next to Pyrokinesis and its awesome flavor text, those two are at the top of the "Should these cards be in here?" list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 3:42 am 

Obsidian Fireheart because "The land continues to burn"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 4:21 am 

Kiln Fiend?

And I would definitely put a Vesuva in the list, if only to shoot opponent legendary lands. Academy Ruins being prime example.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 5:36 am 

Me Gusta.

No Leyline of Punishment? It's great for making sure those pro-red creatures die too :)

Other mentionables:
Flame Wave - great one to copy with a Chandra/Reverberate
Curse of Bloodletting - take out that pesky blue mage first
Quest for Pure Flame - people laugh at me for using this thing... but it's a finisher nobody expects. Also only costs 1 mana. If someone wastes enchantment removal on that, no real loss :)
Mana Geyser helps pump out Caged Sun faster and crank out two big burns spells on the same turn otherwise.

All is Dust - removes those pesky white enchantments that prevent direct burn... and pretty much everything else; except your mana-artifacts! woot!
Anarchy - if you're ballsy like me and want to run this instead, you can discard it with Jaya if it's a "dead" card that game (kills white weenie token decks as well)

Last edited by Superstrength79 on 2012-Mar-05 6:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 5:38 am 

Devils live in hell, where everything burns, so Charmbreaker Devils and Devil's Play might also make the list.

Also, to make her survive her own infernos with some flavor to the deck, Sword of Fire and Ice gives her pro-red.

Man, I love a deck like this. Jaya Ballard might be my favorite of the Weatherlight characters (Though Gerrard and Yawgmoth are pretty badass too).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 4:58 pm 

Spegelfagel wrote:
Obsidian Fireheart because "The land continues to burn"

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

<3

Rahana wrote:
Kiln Fiend?

And I would definitely put a Vesuva in the list, if only to shoot opponent legendary lands. Academy Ruins being prime example.

While Kiln Fiend is very on flavor, I don't think he's gonna make the cut. :c

Vesuva is a good work in though.

Superstrength79 wrote:
Me Gusta.

No Leyline of Punishment? It's great for making sure those pro-red creatures die too :)

Other mentionables:
Flame Wave - great one to copy with a Chandra/Reverberate
Curse of Bloodletting - take out that pesky blue mage first
Quest for Pure Flame - people laugh at me for using this thing... but it's a finisher nobody expects. Also only costs 1 mana. If someone wastes enchantment removal on that, no real loss :)
Mana Geyser helps pump out Caged Sun faster and crank out two big burns spells on the same turn otherwise.

All is Dust - removes those pesky white enchantments that prevent direct burn... and pretty much everything else; except your mana-artifacts! woot!
Anarchy - if you're ballsy like me and want to run this instead, you can discard it with Jaya if it's a "dead" card that game (kills white weenie token decks as well)

Nearly all of those (save for the last two) were on my "almost made the list" list. Mana Geyser seems sick though and the Curse will probably replace Overblaze now that I think about it.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Devils live in hell, where everything burns, so Charmbreaker Devils and Devil's Play might also make the list.

Also, to make her survive her own infernos with some flavor to the deck, Sword of Fire and Ice gives her pro-red.

Man, I love a deck like this. Jaya Ballard might be my favorite of the Weatherlight characters (Though Gerrard and Yawgmoth are pretty badass too).

Devil's Play is already in here dawg. :p

And the Sword is a valid choice. Let's Jaya live through the sweeps and it makes all my big guys even more dangerous.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-05 5:18 pm 

Cards under consideration/Almost made it:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-12 10:27 am 

Akroma's Memorial seems like a fit, allthough it is a bit lacking on the flavor / theme.
Giving ALL your creatures Pro:R is fairly uhm... unfair considering Jaya's ultimate + all the mass burn you already have.
While on the Akroma subject: Akroma, Angel of Fury doesn't have the name to match, but if you look at the art you will notice flames in the background. Hmm on second thought it looks like she's riding an ignited fart but that should nicely too. ANY accellerant or fuel is acceptable to fan the flames.
You already spotted the gem of red mana production: Braid of Fire so Redkroma is also a nice manasink for that one besides being an allround decent creature. The blue hate is the icing on the cake here methinks: lots of blue in my meta. The braid likes activated abilities on creatures, so one of my favorite red "control" creature begs to be added too: Scourge of Kher Ridges.
Staying on the activated ability note: Rings of Brighthearth has massive potential here: not only will it make Jaya (and all those other activated abilities of your creatures and planeswalkers) twice as badass, its a friggin Moebius ring (= INFINITY) ON FIRE!
Pyrohemia also seems too good not to mention. Usually it is paired with Stuffy Doll, but the Doll lacks any fire/burn/pyro theme. Pyrohemia on it's own has great mileage tho, even if you only pick off weenies.
Ashling the Pilgrim is another one: great mana sink, great potential and scaling with mana / amount of targets + artwise she's an Elemental Shaman on FIRE. Nuff said there.
PS: giving Ashling or Jaya lifelink with Loxodon Warhammer or Basilisk Collar is downright hilarious when you go for their "ultimates". Not so much on theme but it gives the deck some room to ensure continuous Angry Jaya rage fits. She's a mage (supposed to have *some* intelligence) and if we wanted pure suicide then we would play black, no ?
Magmatic Force also deserves a note: nicely flavoured + great scaling towards multiplayer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-12 2:56 pm 

You'll be doing so much damage to creatures with this deck that Repercussion seems like a worthy card slot. Quite a few instants/sorcery spells. You should think about doubling up on their usefulness with Mirari and Past in Flames.

Giving the creatures that deal indirect damage lifelink and deathtouch seems like a good idea. Basilisk Collar does a great job of providing both. Equipped to Scourge of Kher Ridges, Balefire Dragon, Inferno Titanor even Jaya makes them pretty damn scary. (Should have read the posts before mine for this, the point still stands though)

Zo-zu the Punisher - lands become shocks, fetch lands double this up, ramp decks become quite painful. Give him the previously mentioned collar to make this effect non-symmetrical.
Furnace of Rath really wants to be in this deck also.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief(Changes constantly)
Ink-Treader Nephilim(Group allowed)
Maelstrom Wanderer

Building Process:
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius(Draw, Earthquakes, Fireballs)

Dismantled:
Uril, the Miststalker
Captain Sisay
Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-14 10:37 pm 

Wouter wrote:
Akroma's Memorial seems like a fit, allthough it is a bit lacking on the flavor / theme.
Giving ALL your creatures Pro:R is fairly uhm... unfair considering Jaya's ultimate + all the mass burn you already have.
While on the Akroma subject: Akroma, Angel of Fury doesn't have the name to match, but if you look at the art you will notice flames in the background. Hmm on second thought it looks like she's riding an ignited fart but that should nicely too. ANY accellerant or fuel is acceptable to fan the flames.
You already spotted the gem of red mana production: Braid of Fire so Redkroma is also a nice manasink for that one besides being an allround decent creature. The blue hate is the icing on the cake here methinks: lots of blue in my meta. The braid likes activated abilities on creatures, so one of my favorite red "control" creature begs to be added too: Scourge of Kher Ridges.
Staying on the activated ability note: Rings of Brighthearth has massive potential here: not only will it make Jaya (and all those other activated abilities of your creatures and planeswalkers) twice as badass, its a friggin Moebius ring (= INFINITY) ON FIRE!
Pyrohemia also seems too good not to mention. Usually it is paired with Stuffy Doll, but the Doll lacks any fire/burn/pyro theme. Pyrohemia on it's own has great mileage tho, even if you only pick off weenies.
Ashling the Pilgrim is another one: great mana sink, great potential and scaling with mana / amount of targets + artwise she's an Elemental Shaman on FIRE. Nuff said there.
PS: giving Ashling or Jaya lifelink with Loxodon Warhammer or Basilisk Collar is downright hilarious when you go for their "ultimates". Not so much on theme but it gives the deck some room to ensure continuous Angry Jaya rage fits. She's a mage (supposed to have *some* intelligence) and if we wanted pure suicide then we would play black, no ?
Magmatic Force also deserves a note: nicely flavoured + great scaling towards multiplayer.

Akroma's Memorial is certainly a shiny and flashy card, but not exactly this deck's style. I think I'll settle on Magebane Armor and/or Darksteel Plate for Jaya immunity, since I never have too many creatures out on the field at the same time. As for Redkroma, I have plans for her outside of this deck...

Rings of Brighthearth is certainly a good suggestion, but it's gonna have to compete with the below-mentioned Mirari for copying goodness, since I have more instants and sorceries than Jayas and Planeswalkers.

Pyrohemia is also an interesting choice, and would probably definitely surely go in if Akroma's Memorial went with it. :p

I love Ashling just as much as the next guy, but I think Ashling needs her own deck to be super useful. Oh dem Ashling decks are fun. <3

Basilisk Collar? Now you're speaking my language. >:3

FuegoRedux wrote:
You'll be doing so much damage to creatures with this deck that Repercussion seems like a worthy card slot. Quite a few instants/sorcery spells. You should think about doubling up on their usefulness with Mirari and Past in Flames.

Giving the creatures that deal indirect damage lifelink and deathtouch seems like a good idea. Basilisk Collar does a great job of providing both. Equipped to Scourge of Kher Ridges, Balefire Dragon, Inferno Titanor even Jaya makes them pretty damn scary. (Should have read the posts before mine for this, the point still stands though)

Zo-zu the Punisher - lands become shocks, fetch lands double this up, ramp decks become quite painful. Give him the previously mentioned collar to make this effect non-symmetrical.
Furnace of Rath really wants to be in this deck also.

Repercussion is AWESOME now that you mention it. It shall be done! Past in Flames is nice, but I think Mirari would go just a bit further. :3

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-02 11:01 am 

5/2 - AVACYN RESTORED UPDATE:
-1 Burst Lightning
-1 Flametongue Kavu
-1 Searing Rays
-1 Snow-Covered Mountain
-1 Wall of Lava

+1 Bonfire of the Damned
+1 Cavern of Souls
+1 Malignus
+1 Reforge the Soul
+1 Thunderous Wrath

Offline Profile