Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 4:55 pm

Post subject: Sedris, the Douchebag Combo Deck
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-19 4:18 pm 

The point of this deck is to be a complete asshole by getting out as many stupid combos as possible. This deck probably could have gone rainbow (Scion of the Ur Dragon would have been a fine general, and Sliver Queen opens up an infinite combo of her own), but I decided to stick with Grixis to make me seem even more "evil", plus I don't want to spend four million dollars on a manabase. Every single card in this deck except for Sol Ring is either a combo piece or enabler (tutor or draw). Do not give me suggestions on how to make the deck more "fun" or "nice", as the goal is to be a douche.

Combo Cards:
Deceiver Exarch
Pestermite
Splinter Twin
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Cauldron of Souls
Furystoke Giant
Glen Elendra Archmage
Puppeteer Clique
Murderous Redcap
River Kelpie
Palinchron
Phantasmal Image
Capsize
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Curiosity
Mnemonic Wall
Time Warp
Genesis Chamber
Nether Traitor
Phyrexian Altar
Sword of the Meek Izzet Chronarch
Thopter Foundry Crystal Shard
Time Sieve Crucible of Worlds
Mana Echoes
Myr Matrix
Mephidross Vampire
Triskelion
Intruder Alarm
Sword of Feast and Famine
Hellkite Charger
Aggravated Assault
Quietus Spike Master of Etherium
Inferno Titan Mana Vault
Memnarch
Mycosynth Lattice
Darksteel Forge
March of the Machines
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Knowledge Pool

Other Cards:
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Fabricate
Liliana Vess
Tezzeret the Seeker
Chandra Ablaze
Dimir Machinations
Perplex
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Mind's Eye
Increasing Ambition

Lands:
Underground Sea
Badlands
Volcanic Island
Scalding Tarn
Polluted Delta
Bloodstained Mire
Verdant Catacombs
Marsh Flats
Arid Mesa
Wooded Foothills
Misty Rainforest
Flooded Strand
Watery Grave
Blood Crypt
Steam Vents
Sunken Ruins
Graven Cairns
Cascade Bluffs
Drowned Catacombs
Sulfur Falls
Dragonskull Summit
Dimir Aqueduct
Rakdos Carnarium
Izzet Boilerworks
Crumbling Necropolis
Command Tower
Strip Mine
Maze of Ith
Dust Bowl
Reflecting Pool
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Reliquary Tower
Homeward Path
Vesuva

Last edited by Uktabi_Kong on 2012-Feb-20 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sedris, the Douchebag Combo Deck
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-19 9:51 pm 

No basic lands............ my oh my this idea is to be a douche.

You know that Thopter Assembly is kinda banned in a Grixis deck? I'd suggest High Tide and two more tutors to replace the slot created by that ommission. Of course, you could also put in Kormus Bell to save yourself from losing to the Mycosynth March combo.

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 1:46 am 

Master of Etherium fixes the Lattice/March bombo.

Also, why are you running Curiosity instead of the considerably superior Ophidian Eye?
Quietus Spike is terrible. Inferno Titan's trigger is not combat damage. If you want deathtouch, run Basilisk Collar.

Get Erratic Portal/Crystal Shardand an extra timewalk effect if you want to be a true douche. Anarchist/Izzet Chronarch are good too. Cut the titan/spike.

Finally: Your mana curve is massive, and you are only running Sol Ring as acceleration. A fast deck will annihilate you before you get going, to be honest. Run Crucible of Worlds to re-use your fetch lands (And abuse Stripmine/Wasteland!), and get more mana rocks.

Edit: Finally, why Sedris? Do you use the Unearth, or would you be better off with another Grixis commander like Thrax (Hasty beats + edict effect)?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 6:10 am 

plank wrote:
Master of Etherium fixes the Lattice/March bombo.

Omg how the hell did I miss that?

plank wrote:
Also, why are you running Curiosity instead of the considerably superior Ophidian Eye?
Quietus Spike is terrible. Inferno Titan's trigger is not combat damage. If you want deathtouch, run Basilisk Collar.

Curiosity is for and only for the infinite combo with Niv-Mizzet, and I like my combo pieces to be as inexpensive as possible. As for the Titan combo, I already knew that his trigger isn't combat damage, the point was to clear my opponent's side of blockers then hit for a lot. However, it isn't working out very much, and I don't think Basilisk Collar will do much that Quietus Spike hasn't (if anything, Grafted Exoskeleton is far better now that I think about it).

plank wrote:
Get Erratic Portal/Crystal Shardand an extra timewalk effect if you want to be a true douche. Anarchist/Izzet Chronarch are good too. Cut the titan/spike.

Are you talking about the infamous infinite turn combo? If so, that's already possible for far cheaper with Splinter Twin/Kiki-Jiki. However, I think since I'm taking so much out, I probably do have room for the Chronarch and the Shard.

plank wrote:
Finally: Your mana curve is massive, and you are only running Sol Ring as acceleration. A fast deck will annihilate you before you get going, to be honest. Run Crucible of Worlds to re-use your fetch lands (And abuse Stripmine/Wasteland!), and get more mana rocks.

Edit: Finally, why Sedris? Do you use the Unearth, or would you be better off with another Grixis commander like Thrax (Hasty beats + edict effect)?

Yes, I use the unearth of Sedris. Having him as a general means that my graveyard is like a second hand. Even though creatures disappear after being unearthed, that hardly matters because a lot of them only take one turn. The Charger/Sword, Mephidross/Triskelion, Phyrexian/Nether/Chamber, Curious/Firemind, Phantasmal/Palinchron, Mikaeus/Perist, and Deceiver/Twin combos (to an extent) only require the cards on the field for one turn with haste.

Crucible of Worlds will be going in............. a bit embarrassed that I missed that one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 12:02 pm 

As far as Basilisk Collar goes - it has a cheaper casting cost/equip cost than the Quietus Spike (which was your reason for wanting Curiosity over Ophidian Eye), but if you're removing them then it doesn't really matter.

The unearth does work for many of the creature-based combo's, but not ones where a creature has to leave play (Nether Traitor, Palinchron) as Unearth exiles them at that point. But yes, I can see Sedris being helpful there.

Finally, why no Tomb/Coffers? Big mana is big. It's probably also the biggest ramp you can get in these colours, short of Mana Flare.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 2:20 pm 

I don't own the coffers and my LGS doesn't have any that they're willing to trade, and there isn't that much of a point of putting in Urborg without the Coffers (plus it opens me up to attack from swampwalkers like Wrexy).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 3:05 pm 

High Tide + Palinchron can't work here because you don't have enough islands.
But,
Mana Flare + Palinchron can.

Also, Mana Flare will get you going a lot faster, what with your lack of acceleration. Sure, it will get everyone going, but unless they are playing haste creatures you will probably win the "who can abuse the double mana" race.

Offline Profile