Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 4:28 pm

Post subject: Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-18 1:25 pm 

When ever I think of Elesh I imagine hearing tornado sirens like from the movie Silent Hill as she approaches...

General:

Artifacts:
-Shrine of Loyal Legions
-Helm of Possession
-Skullclamp
-Lightning Greaves
-Nim Deathmantle
-Darksteel Plate
-Sword of Fire and Ice
-Solemn Simulacrum
-Sanctum Gargoyle
-Duplicant
-Wurmcoil Engine
-Myr Battlesphere
-Umezawa's Jitte

Creatures:
-Weathered Wayfarer
-Stoneforge Mystic
-Knight of the White Orchid
-Aven Mindcensor
-Mentor of the Meek
-Mirror Entity
-Stonecloaker
-Gideon's Avenger
-Kor Cartographer + Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
-Taj-Nar Swordsmith
-Windborn Muse
-Emeria Angel
-Hero of Bladehold
-Knight-Captain of Eos
-Reveillark
-Cloudgoat Ranger
-Karmic Guide
-Razor Hippogriff + Leonin Arbiter
-Captain of the Watch
-Graven Dominator
-Sun Titan
-Sunblast Angel
-Victory's Herald
-Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
-Lieutenant Kirtar
-Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker
-Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Enchantments:
-Land Tax
-Marshal's Anthem

Instants:
-Swords to Plowshares
-Dawn Charm
-Lapse of Certainty
-Oblation
-Return to Dust
-Miraculous Recovery
-Banishment Decree
-White Sun's Zenith

Sorcery:
-Retribution of the Meek
-Day of Judgment
-Akroma's Vengeance
-Austere Command
-Phyrexian Rebirth
-Storm Herd
-Martial Coup
-Decree of Justice

Planeswalkers:
-Elspeth, Knight-Errant
-Gideon Jura
-Karn Liberated

Lands:
-Emeria, the Sky Ruin
-Ghost Quarter
-High Market
-Homeward Path
-Temple of the False God
-Terrain Generator
-Vesuva
-Winding Canyons
-Mistveil Plains
-Petrified Field
-Kor Haven
-Miren, the Moaning Well
-Plainsx26

Notes:

The deck like all my others went through several early iterations... initially it was a token deck with tricky off color spells and effects like Debt of Loyalty, Evangelize and several others that while very fun did not perform. I suffered from early attacks during early versions that left me crippled of hated out of the game before I was even doing much. Elesh's effect is just SO DOMINATING; that I kind of understand as she shits down tricky small dorks and makes most middle creatures speed bumps. I was not focusing on wiping the board but rather cleaning when necessary. The deck seems to function pretty well but I am up for suggestions. there is an absence of Dark Ascension cards as most do not fit the theme I have mulled over a few in my head. The deck plays kind of like ramp only just making sure it never misses a land drop as casting Elesh is expensive and to only have her countered if annoying if you need to try for her again the next turn.

The deck plays kind of lay low with inconspicuous dudes till its killing time or taxing effects that reduce opportunists. I wish they would make a color shifted Fork or Clone in white but those are just dreams of a greedy player...

Looking for space for:
-Increasing Devotion
-Requiem Angel
-Cleansing
-Elspeth Tirel
-Enlightened Tutor

Last edited by Platinum_Emperion on 2012-Feb-20 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-19 9:21 am 

Tirel has to be in a deck like this. A card that has the exact same mana cost but doesn't do too much for you is Razor Hippogriff. Unless I counted wrong, you have exactly one artifact that sacrifices itself, and the only way to destroy your own artifacts (including sacrifices) is through your board wipers and using High Market/Miren on the creatures. I don't like Sanctum Gargoyle for the same reason, and I'm not sure why you have so many recursion cards.

As for other cards I suggest, it looks like your deck could use Thalia, she's an agressive 2-drop that taxes your opponent's greatest cards, Chancellor of the Annex
for a similar reason, but she(it?)'s big, fat, flying, and has that 1/14 chance of helping you in early game. Leonin Arbiter slows down some of the scariest cards in your opponent's deck (Prime Time starts to suck when it costs four to use his ability, and fetchlands and the "cheap" tutors from Mirage are dead worthless then). Yes, it will hurt a little bit of your deck (7 cards), but I think it's worth it. For your land base, no deck in the history of EDH should go without Dust Bowl unless it can't afford to lose any coloration, which is almost never a problem in mono-color (I've seen it happen in regular magic though. Some genius with a Primalcrux deck put in four Hall of the Bandit Lords and four Mikokoros).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-19 10:01 pm 

Not sure what the goal of the deck is with all the cards in it. You have an enormous amount of recursion, yet not much that's really worth it, and not many ways to lose the stuff anyway. It seems like your creature base is mainly token rush, but again, it doesn't seem focused.

I agree with Uktabi's cuts and additions, as well as adding True Conviction. That thing will, if not totally devestate your opponents, at least put you in a very good position, especially when your creatures already have a power adn toughness difference of 4 more than usual.

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 4:12 am 

Kong, Thx for deck analysis very good points! I agree with both you and Concer83 I might have some excessive recursion :oops: but on the other hand I kind of believe its necessary. I totally axed Razor Hippogriff & Kor Cartographer and threw in Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Leonin Arbiter. I really like Sanctum Gargoyle as my artifacts are destroyed alot + I can recur Sanctum Gargoyle with Reveillark.

I really want to put True Conviction in here :D but it feels only like a win more card and I would only play it when I have a solid board position. Elspeth Tirel on the other hand though I like but I think is marginal. usually she is attacked right away negating the fact she makes 3 dudes. she is okay if you have a way to protect her with tokens out and need to wrath the board but he window of usefulness is just so narrow in my opinion. maybe if I was popping out a gajillion tokens and I could gain life from them then yeah she is sweet but I think she belongs in something with Green. Still mulling over Chancellor of the Annex.

I think Concer 83 might be right I need some more creatures that are worth recurring

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-20 6:55 pm 

For sweepers, try to get a Wrath of God to replace (or augment) Day of Judgement. Also have you considered Solar Tide? I noticed your Retribution of the Meek (love this choice) but once your general comes down, that's a dead card, and Solar Tide may help more. Also consider Crovax, Ascendant Hero if Mindslaver is not a popular card in your area.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile