Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:26 am

Post subject: My Name is Rakdos, Please Take My Hand
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-15 10:40 pm 

An EDH deck full of Demons and evil, shadowy things? It's like every "tortured" 15-year old weeaboo's dream!

General of Hell:
Rakdos the Defiler

Demonic Legions:
Abyssal Persecutor
Blood Speaker
Bloodgift Demon
Demon of Death's Gate
Demonic Hordes
Demonic Taskmaster
Dread Cacodemon
Extractor Demon
Griselbrand
Harvester of Souls
Havoc Demon
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Kuro, Pitlord
Liege of the Pit
Lord of the Pit
Malfegor
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Pestilence Demon
Reaper from the Abyss
Reiver Demon
Rune-Scarred Demon
Xathrid Demon

The Dark One's Pawns:
Anathemancer
Anger
Bloodghast
Hell's Caretaker
Inferno Titan
Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

Hell Spells:
Attrition
Barter in Blood
Bitterblossom
Blasphemous Act
Curse of Bloodletting
Damnation
Dark Ritual
Demonfire
Demonic Collusion
Demonic Rising
Demonic Tutor
Dread Return
Elbrus, the Binding Blade
Grave Pact
Hellfire
Increasing Ambition
Innocent Blood
Into the Maw of Hell
Lightning Greaves
Mark of the Oni
Night's Whisper
Phyrexian Arena
Plague Wind
Promise of Power
Rakdos Signet
Reanimate
Ritual of the Machine
Sensei's Divining Top
Sign in Blood
Sol Ring
Terminate
Unhallowed Pact

The 38 Circles of Hell:
Akoum Refuge
Badlands
Barren Moor
Blackcleave Cliffs
Blood Crypt
Bloodstained Mire
Cavern of Souls
Dragonskull Summit
Forgotten Cave
Graven Cairns
High Market
Lavaclaw Reaches
Molten Slagheap
9x Mountain
Rakdos Carnarium
Reliquary Tower
Shadowblood Ridge
Stensia Bloodhall
Sulfurous Springs
10x Swamp
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

So this is the project of me after a long time of deck development, procrastination to finish said development, taking a 3-month hiatus from the game, coming back, looking at my old progress and deciding to nip the development in the bud once and for all because I want my demons dammit.

This is mainly meant to be a flavorful Demon deck and there are so many cards I wanted to put in here but there's unfortunately a 100 card limit. And even so, after working on this, it's functional but I can't tell if the deck is trying to do too much or if it's actually doing too little. Haven't tried it out in a game yet, but it gets some damn good hands so far.

If there are any functional or flavorful suggestions, please put them below.

CHANGE LOGS:
2/16:
-1 Ashenmoor Liege
-1 Carnifex Demon
-1 Oni Possession

+1 Elbrus, the Binding Blade
+1 Hell's Caretaker
+1 Reaper from the Abyss

5/2 - AVACYN RESTORED UPDATE:
-1 Demonic Consultation
-1 Forbidden Ritual
-1 Helldozer
-1 Mountain
-1 Oni of Wild Places
-1 Pestilence

+1 Cavern of Souls
+1 Demonic Rising
+1 Demonic Taskmaster
+1 Griselbrand
+1 Harvester of Souls
+1 Unhallowed Pact

Hit me up on Magic Online (DeathByForklift) or on Cockatrice (Proxy13)

Last edited by Proxy on 2012-May-02 2:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: My Name is Rakdos, Please Take My Hand
AgePosted: 2012-Feb-15 11:31 pm 

Demon Choices

Rakdos the Defiler - I'm convinced this guy is one of the most incredibly kickass cards ever to be printed. Just look at this guy. JUST LOOK AT EM. BWAH.

He also eats fields (even your own) like nobody's business. Why? Cause you're not gonna stop 'em (ohgodnoCondemnaaaaaa).

Abyssal Persecutor - This is the fastest Demon I have accessibility to, and he hits hard and fast. It's not like getting him off the field will be difficult either if you need to win. :p

Bloodgift Demon - Phyrexian Arena on a stick? Hell yes (I DID A PUN).

Demon of Death's Gate - I don't even think he'll be that great, but I couldn't make this deck without him. A 9/9 demon is going in here whether I like it or not. Hey, if I didn't want it, I shouldn't have been wearing thi--

Demonic Hordes - I just absolutely love the art for this card so it was an auto-include in here. Plus, it's like Land Destruction! Only kinda not!

Dread Cacodemon - Oh this guy is so powerful. He's like Reiver Demon on steroids and he's raging that his wings got too small for personal use because of it.

Extractor Demon - The first Demon I pulled out of a pack. And he's not that bad either!

Havoc Demon - This demon is so badass. He enters the field and beats things senseless. And when he leaves the battlefield, HE DISMEMBERS EVERYTHING.

Kagemaro, First to Suffer - Such a good demon. And probably one of my favorite in the "First to _____" cycle from Kamigawa.

Kuro, Pitlord - Like DoDG, a 9/9 Demon. Only I'm actually happy about putting this guy in.

Liege of the Pit & Lord of the Pit - Classic demons. Of course I'm putting these two beasts in here.

Malfegor - I call this guy Little Nicky.

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen - Very, very flavorful demon and he can only get bigger. This guy gets too dangerous too quick.

Oni of Wild Places - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nG0YUzyWQU
EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT WE'RE HOG WILD

Pestilence Demon - Pestilence on a huge, thick flying stick.

Reaper from the Abyss - HOLY HELL (ANOTHER PUN, THIS MAN IS UNSTOPPABLE). Thank you Sinis for reminding me of this card that should have been in the beginning list since its inception. UGH, SO GOOD.

Reiver Demon - <3

Rune-Scarred Demon - You mean I get a 6/6 Demon and a Demonic Tutor? Why thank you very much Wizards! Still doesn't make up for Consecrated Sphinx though.

Xathrid Demon - Lord of the Pit 2.0. And oh lawdy, I love it.

Non-Demon Choices
Blood Speaker - When you look at all the Demon-specific support monster cards there are, and then you eliminate all the options that don't suck, you're left with this guy. That being said, he's pretty cool.

Anathemancer - hey, dat's uh nice tundra and hallowed fountain n seachrome coast & stuff. Woooooops there went haf ur wife.

Anger - Cause I'm not playing Mass Hysteria.

Bloodghast - So I heard Demons like having things to sacrifice.

Helldozer - Man, this guy is pretty cool. He blows up lands, can suicide a titan, and...wait, he has Hell in his name too? GIMME

Hell's Caretaker - I'm kind of an idiot not immediately thinking of this guy when making a demon/hell themed deck.

Inferno Titan - I think flames and fire giants before I think of horrid zombies falling out of the stomachs of a cyclops. So that's why I chose firey Ian Scott here instead of Grave Titan. But who knows, I might have a Change of Heart soon.

Lyzolda, the Blood Witch - :3c

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - WHAT THE HELL, WIZARDS. PERSIST WASN'T CRAZY ENOUGH SO YOU GAVE US SUPERPERSIST? OH WELL, I GUESS BLOODGHAST HAS A NEW LOVER. KTHX.

Spell Choices

Bitterblossom - This is one of the cards I hope I draw most. All my already good cards get soooooo much better with this thing and all the crazy sac-requiring cards get a lot less painful. It's also the reason I run Attrition.

Barter In Blood, Demonfire, Innocent Blood, Into the Maw of Hell, Terminate - idk how 2 spot rmvl

Dark Ritual, Rakdos Signet, Sol Ring - Mana rocks and accelerators that help make this deck work. :3

Blasphemous Act, Damnation, Pestilence, Plague Wind - Boy, Black and Red do some pretty good White imitations with all these field wipes, and I'm not even done listing them!

Elbrus, the Binding Blade - Why is this freaking thing in my deck full of demonic hordes? It doesn't even do anythOHGODMYSKULLNOWHYYYAAAA

Grave Pact - Field wipe? Not really. Field wipe potential? Oh hell yes.

Hellfire - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmn9iH6bHJc
Yup. Obvious reference aside, the flavor in this deck is ridic and the art is to die for. Love this card. <3

Curse of Bloodletting - I'm sure there are better Furnace of Rath clones than this, but the flavor unquestionably beats all of them.

Demonic Consultation, Demonic Collusion, Demonic Tutor, Increasing Ambition - Tutors. Tutors everywhere.

Dread Return, Reanimate - Considering how often creatures land in the graveyard, these two are just made that much better.

Forbidden Ritual - Oh my god. This was a great card to discover when making this deck. It's swingy and dangerous and GAH, but it's still crazy.

Lightning Greaves, Sensei's Divining Top - blah blah staples blah blah

Mark of the Oni, Ritual of the Machine - seriouslyguyshowcomeblackdoenstusethesemoreoften

Night's Whisper, Phyrexian Arena, Promise of Power, Sign in Blood - Draw. Ow. Draw. Ow. Draw Draw Draw. Ow Ow Ow.

And I'm not gonna explain lands to you gais.

Last edited by Proxy on 2012-Feb-16 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 3:13 am 

Proxy wrote:
The 38 Circles of Hell:

You have 18 non-basic lands. According to Dante, Inferno has nine circles and Purgatory has seven terraces and two lower sections (one for the excommunicated and one for the late repenters). 9 + 2 + 7 = 18

Just saying.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 3:29 am 

I think Oni Possession may be over playing the demon theme, card is so bad :|

also i think you need more dudes to sac like Reassembling Skeleton
but cool deck

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 12:26 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
Proxy wrote:
The 38 Circles of Hell:

You have 18 non-basic lands. According to Dante, Inferno has nine circles and Purgatory has seven terraces and two lower sections (one for the excommunicated and one for the late repenters). 9 + 2 + 7 = 18

Just saying.

Oh wow, that was completely unintentional, but hey!

If I play my deck upside down, I'll probably get a subliminal message too.

Kirby wrote:
I think Oni Possession may be over playing the demon theme, card is so bad :|

also i think you need more dudes to sac like Reassembling Skeleton
but cool deck

Yeah, but Oni Possession is pretty flavorful. Reassembling Skeleton is a good card though too. I'll post a list of cards I wanted to put in here in a few.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 12:40 pm 

Cards that didn't make the cut/are under consideration

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 1:14 pm 

How do you get around (or deal with) the attack trigger?

I can also imagine cases where you attack me because I have no blockers, sac a bunch of stuff, and I swords your general before blockers.

I can never understand how this general is supposed to work out.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 1:17 pm 

Murderous Redcap and Sadistic Hypnotist might be fun. I'd say run Doomsday as well, but it's kind of a crap card unless you can assemble an instawin combo off it.

The way this general is supposed to work is by playing second fiddle to Kaalia :P- this is looking like more of a tier fun deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 3:46 pm 

Proxy wrote:

With a screen name like mine, I know I had to leap at the chance to make a Dante reference. Really, the Divine Comedy is filled with numbers, and when you can cherry-pick card categories (why non-basic lands? Why not basic lands? Or lands that can produce both red and black? Etc.), you can make almost any connection.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 4:56 pm 

gaijinguy wrote:
Murderous Redcap and Sadistic Hypnotist might be fun. I'd say run Doomsday as well, but it's kind of a crap card unless you can assemble an instawin combo off it.

Oh yeah, Redcap is probably good. Though interactions with Mikaeus will probably make my head hurt since I don't know how actual Persist creatures interact with the Undying mechanic affecting them at the same time.

Sadistic Hypnotist is pretty cool, and I'm probably gonna stay away from Doomsday. :p

shmebula wrote:
How do you get around (or deal with) the attack trigger?

I can also imagine cases where you attack me because I have no blockers, sac a bunch of stuff, and I swords your general before blockers.

I can never understand how this general is supposed to work out.

For the longest time, I didn't understand how Rakdos as a general was supposed to work either (unless you srhoud/hexproof him up to prevent any white/blue shenanigans). Then I realized you're not supposed to make Rakdos work too much. Why should he? He has all his demonic brothers and idiotic pawns to do his dirty work for him. And whenever the enemy is too weak to fight back from your hellish onslaught, he can step up with a fresh pair of greaves and leave your enemies in ruination as he goes in for the kill himself.

THAT'S how a true Demon Lord works.

gaijinguy wrote:
The way this general is supposed to work is by playing second fiddle to Kaalia :P- this is looking like more of a tier fun deck.

Kaalia is a two-timing spotlight hogging harlot who needs to choke on a hammer and die.

That being said, she's wearing her colors (WBR) well.

Malekoda wrote:
Proxy wrote:

With a screen name like mine, I know I had to leap at the chance to make a Dante reference. Really, the Divine Comedy is filled with numbers, and when you can cherry-pick card categories (why non-basic lands? Why not basic lands? Or lands that can produce both red and black? Etc.), you can make almost any connection.

ees a conspeeracee maaaaaaan

Made another decklist change: -1 Ashenmoor Liege, +1 Elbrus, the Binding Blade. Also, I need to put Grimoire of the Dead in here. Well, I don't NEED to. But I would like to.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 5:16 pm 

Proxy wrote:
Oh yeah, Redcap is probably good. Though interactions with Mikaeus will probably make my head hurt since I don't know how actual Persist creatures interact with the Undying mechanic affecting them at the same time.

How do Persist and Undying interact?

Really, really well. When a creature with both hits the yard, both abilities trigger simultaneously, so you choose the order in which they go on the stack. Whichever one is last on the stack is first to resolve, so it does it's thing, causing the other one to fizzle since it can't return a creature card from the graveyard that's no longer there. So your creature can die and return any number of times, bearing in mind that it will flip between having a -1/-1 and a +1/+1 counter each time. The only way it can be die and stay dead is if it dies with both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it simultaneously.

Too bad Rakdos can't run Hatching Plans. However, you might want to run stuff with powerful dies/leaves the field abilities- Ichor Wellspring and Mycosynth Wellspring are minor examples, as is Sundering Titan if you're feeling excessively dickish.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 5:26 pm 

darnit gaijinguy, I was going to respond to the persist / undying interaction but you beat me to it. Well said though. Then all you need is a free reusable sac outlet like altar of dementia or goblin bombardment to go infinite. Makes the inclusion of Puppeteer Clique more tempting.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 5:35 pm 

gaijinguy wrote:
The only way it can be die and stay dead is if it dies with both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it simultaneously.

Isn't this very difficult (or impossible) to do? I wasn't playing when the rules changed, but as I understand it, the presence of both counters causes them to be removed. I know there are always corner cases that would provide exceptions for these sorts of things, but I am wondering if I understand this correctly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 5:45 pm 

gaijinguy wrote:
Proxy wrote:

How do Persist and Undying interact?

Really, really well. When a creature with both hits the yard, both abilities trigger simultaneously, so you choose the order in which they go on the stack. Whichever one is last on the stack is first to resolve, so it does it's thing, causing the other one to fizzle since it can't return a creature card from the graveyard that's no longer there. So your creature can die and return any number of times, bearing in mind that it will flip between having a -1/-1 and a +1/+1 counter each time. The only way it can be die and stay dead is if it dies with both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it simultaneously.

Too bad Rakdos can't run Hatching Plans. However, you might want to run stuff with powerful dies/leaves the field abilities- Ichor Wellspring and Mycosynth Wellspring are minor examples, as is Sundering Titan if you're feeling excessively dickish.

So it IS as busted as I thought it would be. Wow. First Melira, and now Mikaeus. Woodfall Primus is getting ALL the friends. And Celerus is right: Puppeteer Clique is looking pretty good now. :3

I like Ichor and Mycosynth Wellsprings, but if this deck doesn't do too well in testing, I guess good ol' Sundering Titan will be included to keep this deck semi-competitive. You know, out of spite.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-16 8:03 pm 

Reaper from the Abyss is disappointingly absent. I mean, it's basically one of the only reasons next to Rakdos to play a pile of demons.

I also recommend a bunch of ritual effects like Cabal Ritual, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual and maybe Seething Song; mana rocks wont be really worthwhile once you turn Rakdos sideways, and the permanent acceleration may be wasted in the long run because of Rakdos' trigger (though, maybe I'm wrong on this; if you have a very low non-demon count, you're basically losing a bunch of lands). Also, they're thematic.

Finally, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Kormus Bell + Conspiracy (naming Demons) makes your lands immune to Rakdos' trigger, but makes you horribly vulnerable to a Wrath effect. If you have a way to sacrifice the Kormus Bell at instant speed (like Claws of Gix), you're pretty much in the clear.

Props on this one though, this basically makes me want to abandon my Malfegor project and buy a bunch of demons.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile