Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 10:30 am

Post subject: Mordor Control (Maga, Traitor to Mortals)
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-20 2:07 am 

Hello all,

This is my near creatureless mono black control deck featuring Mr Drain Life himself, Maga. That ball of energy he's lifting looks a little like the eye of Sauron, hence the deck's name.

This deck is pretty much immune to creature removal, opposing graveyard recursion and Bribery-style shenanigans. In fact, I'd love for my opponents to kill my general over and over and over. It's a lot of fun to play and can hold it's own 1 vs 1.

The plan is to keep the board relatively creatureless until you can Drain an opponent out (at least partially) or (and this is much more fun) attack with anything up from 13 2/2 zombies :)

Some cards people might consider annoying are Helm of Obedience & Leyline of the Void, Sorin Markov + some drain life effect and Mindslaver (no Academy Ruins though!) but I don't actively seek out these paths to victory.

I don't know if I can get more than 1 use out of Liliana of the Veil (due to the low creature count) but I just opened a foil one and I have no other Highlander decks where she fits :)

Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Commander: Maga, Traitor to Mortals

Creatures
Dread Cacodemon
Phage the Untouchable
Myojin of Night's Reach
Army of the Damned
Helm of Obedience

Lifedrain
Consume Spirit
Corrupt
Drain Life
Exsanguinate
Profane Command
Sorin Markov
Sorin's Vengeance
Soul Burn
Wound Reflection

Reset buttons
Nevinyrral's Disk
Oblivion Stone

Creature control
Altar of Shadows
Barter in Blood
Damnation
Decree of Pain
Innocent Blood
Life's Finale
Massacre
Maze of Ith
Mutilate
No Mercy
Slaughter
Smallpox
The Abyss

Discard
Liliana of the Veil
Mind Sludge
Mind Twist
Syphon Mind

Draw
Barren Moor
Mind's Eye
Necropotence
Phyrexian Arena
Polluted Mire
Promise of Power
Sensei's Divining Top
Sign in Blood
Skeletal Scrying
Yawgmoth's Will

Tutor
Beseech the Queen
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Dimir Machinations
Expedition Map
Liliana Vess
Planar Portal
Vampiric Tutor

Graveyard hate
Bojuka Bog
Leyline of the Void
Nihil Spellbomb

Utility
Eternity Vessel
Mindslaver
Mirari

Mana acceleration
Ancient Tomb
Cabal Coffers
City of Traitors
Crucible of Worlds
Ebon Stronghold
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Grim Monolith
Journeyer's Kite
Lake of the Dead
Sol Ring
Temple of the False God
Terrain Generator
Thawing Glaciers

Utility lands
Dust Bowl
High Market
Reliquary Tower
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Strip Mine
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva
Wasteland

20 Swamp

Last edited by misterQ on 2012-Jan-23 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mordor Control (Maga, Traitor to Mortals)
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-20 8:33 pm 

Take out:
City of Traitors for Deserted Temple
Polluted Delta for Mikokoro
Barren Moor for Phyrexian Rager
Soul Burn for Tendrils of Corruption
Massacre for Massacre Wurm
No Mercy for Dread
Skeletal Scrying for Dark Confidant
Sign in Blood for Dark Tutelage

Make those changes and this deck should be balling.

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-20 9:37 pm 

One does not simply swampwalk into Mordor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-21 7:35 am 

Some obvious cards that I wanted to throw in.

Deserted Temple lets you untap a coffers. This could replace city of traitors.
Caged Sun and Nirkana Revenant are missing from Mana Accel. I don't really see the need for Grim Monolith.
You might get some decent mileage out of Bosium Strip

Big Mac and Pickles (Angus Mackenzie Control inc. Pickles Lock)|Sharuum (Artifact Combo)|Garza Zol (Vampires+Goodstuff); Sedris (I can steal anything); Nicol Bolas (WIP)|Kresh (Jund Good Stuff);Karrthus (Dragon Tokens Everywhere)|Tamanoa (Earthquakes Galore)
Wedges:
Oros (Life gaining Pings)|Riku's Perfect Snowstorm (Variety of Storms+Snow)|Doran the Explorer (Wall Tribal)|Ruhan (Voltron);Zedruu (Enchantments)
5C:
Scion (Dragon Stompy Midrange)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-23 5:07 am 

Thanks for the suggestions (and the funny oneliner!)

+ Deserted Temple
+ Caged Sun
+ Miren, the Moaning Well
+ Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
+ Massacre Wurm
+ Bösium Strip
- City of Traitors
- Grim Monolith
- High Market
- Ebon Stronghold
- Massacre
- Mindslaver

I'm thinking about replacing Phage the Untouchable with Dark Tutelage and Shizo, Death's Storehouse with a basic swamp but I'm not sure yet. I haven't played enough games with the deck to know if Phage can reliably take out an opponent.

As for the other creature suggestions, the idea is to make opposing removal dead and the creatures I do play do their thing the turn they come into play and are expendable after that. Basically like sorceries with a body attached to it. I don't think Dread, Dark Confidant or Nirkana Revenant will stick around long enough to be useful. Massacre Wurm on the other hand fits that bill perfectly :) I might have nightmares about Bribery when I have a bunch of Army of the Damned tokens in play, but what are the odds of that happening?

Too bad Tendrils of Corruption only targets creatures, otherwise it would be an auto-include. The removal in this deck has to kill more than one creature or be reusable.

Once Dark Ascension hits the shelves, I'll be looking to get my hands on Increasing Ambition, Harrowing Journey and Helvault. Aside from the obvious use, exiling Maga only to replay him from the command zone next turn seems like fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-23 4:59 pm 

Do not get rid of Shizo. In a singleton deck where you always get to play at least one legendary creature, that thing is strictly better than an ordinary swamp (or at least as close as you'll ever get). It has no restrictions other than being legendary (which almost doesn't matter), it doesn't come into play tapped, it produces black mana, and it can make your general, Phage, or any legend you might steal with the Helm unblockable.

Also, another card that might make you happy is Springjack Pasture. Your opponent's removal is as good as useless if they're gonna use it on a bunch of 0/1s!

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-24 2:00 pm 

Between Cabal Coffers, Extraplanar Lens, Gauntlet of Power and Caged Sun, basic Swamps are not to be underestimated in this deck :) I always seem to want more of them in play. Shizo is only good if I have Phage in play and she lives long enough to attack once. It's not really my first choice of land to tutor for and without Shizo I don't feel like Phage warrants a slot so right now I'm leaning towards cutting both for Dark Tutelage and an extra swamp... I could be wrong though!

I hope you were joking about the goats :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-24 6:43 pm 

I'm not saying that basic lands are bad, I'm just saying that one extra utility land that has no drawbacks whatsoever except for not being a swamp (which Urborg fixes) and can kill if you spend enough mana on your general (for the intents and purposes of this conversation, screw Phage as he probably isn't that great anyway) is not something to take out unless you are sure that it needs to go. Also, in that department, I don't like Extraplanar Lens. Too often I've seen it Slimed or Shattering Spreed soon after it came out, losing you a land and a turn.

As for cutting Phage for Dark Tutelage, a better idea I just thought of might be Rune-Scarred Demon. Though if you are persistant on Dark Tutelage, then I'd cut the card I originally suggested: Sign in Blood. It gets you two cards for two mana, which is really not that great.

As for the goats, I test every deck I run with it in there to see if it works. I just love that card, and I think a deck like this could make a lot of use out of little chump blockers that you can sacrifice for life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-25 2:22 am 

You're right about Extraplanar Lens, it's too vulnerable. And I'm always a bit reluctant to give up a swamp in the first place. And you're probably right about the goats as well, I just wish it were Germ tokens or something ;)

Rune-Scarred Demon is a good idea too, for now, until I can get my hands on Dark Ascension's Increasing Ambition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-06 7:11 am 

i would sub drana in for maga, you get more utility from her on a turn to turn level. and if you can run snow swamps it turns extra planer lens into caged sun

Offline Profile