Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:40 am

Post subject: She's a Babe! Schwing! - Karona Theme Deck (2 Builds)
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-27 5:05 pm 

Theme deck based around Karona, the False God.

Every nonland card must depict an attractive-looking female on the card. This does not need to be necessarily human, but preferably humanoid or partially human (like merfolk). As an added bonus, every time a female creature you control attacks, you should call out "Schwing!" ;)

There's a few mild tribal elements in the deck, but only Angels, Elves, and Humans really stood out in any way. I am looking into opinions, though, as to whether or not the person in the foreground of Conspiracy is a woman or not and I might slide the attractiveness factor a bit for it.

There's a few cards I considered putting in, such as Elesh Norn (she's humanoid and has what could be considered an attractive build...despite the exposed flesh) and a Judge Foil Survival of the Fittest (too expensive right now) but I either opted for alternates or different cards in order to balance the colors out a little bit.

There's at least seven cards of each color, one card per each 2-color combination, and one card for each shard (I couldn't find a good Jund one. Taking any suggestions on that one), one 5-color, and any wedges I could think of (I'm debating still if I should put Damia in here).

Any thoughts would be most appreciated:

The Original Build

Commander

Creatures (35)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Spells (14)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Enchantments (9)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Artifacts (2)
ImageImage

Planeswalkers (2)
ImageImage

Lands

Basic Lands of Choice (2 of each)
ImageImage
ImageImage

And finally, essential viewing to go with the deck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im8uIoq1fjs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkgylvD ... re=related

Changelog:

11/2/11
- Dimir Doppelganger
- Imperious Perfect
- Lightning Angel
- Serra Avenger
- Complicate
- Shaman's Trance
- Glorious Anthem
- Quicksilver Dagger

+ Essence Vortex
+ Melira, Sylvok Outcast
+ Basandra, Battle Seraph
+ Reversal of Fortune
+ Counterspell
+ Angelic Destiny
+ Nature's Chosen
+ Xira Arien

Super Casual Build

This deck was made to have more fun with my friends. As my fair decks grew to have a bit more of a competitive edge, a lot of my decks were just becoming mean or the goal would immediately become "Stomp out Seph." The original build was supposed to be a Timmyish casual build, but I kept getting shouts out about it it still being a bit mean for some of the group, so I made this. I think it still looks like it'll be a ton of fun to play, but a wee bit less evil.

Commander

Creatures (32)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Spells (12)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Enchantments (12)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Artifacts (5)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Planeswalkers (1)

Land (37)
Same as original build.

- Karona Theme Deck: She's a Babe! Schwing! (2 Builds)
- Sharuum: First Encounter
- Zedruu, Target Painter

Last edited by Sephiroth912 on 2011-Nov-12 12:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: She's a Babe! Schwing! - Karona Theme Deck
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-27 5:34 pm 

This deck, is delicious.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-27 6:18 pm 

Joz wrote:
This deck, is delicious.

Damn right it is!

Needs a little bit of tweaking, I think. I've already been suggested Essence Vortex and that sounds hilarious in place of Dimir Doppleganger for the Dimir 2-color card.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 12:36 am 

Quote:
Needs a little bit of tweaking, I think. I've already been suggested Essence Vortex and that sounds hilarious in place of Dimir Doppleganger for the Dimir 2-color card.

I second this!
This is one great deck theme.

And this deck needs Reversal of Fortune! Best artwork ever on a card! I think you can afford to ditch Shaman's Trance? Not very sexy and it's use is very limited can't imagin that a meta is that much on flashback and so on.
I also like Frostwielder or Vulshok Sorcerer much better than Keeper of the Flame, not only because of art but of playability. But if art is more important you could also play Skirsdag Cultist.
Maybe Linvala over Serra Avenger? I like the utility of Linvala, but imho Avenger has the better art.
Sangromancer > Kiku imho.
Thada Adel > Braids, Conjurer Adept
Ink-Eyes?

I don't know about the gender of the character in Conspiracy, but I would not let it or Survival break the theme, if that were my deck. Except we get the creature types beauty or schmexy...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 1:10 am 

Trigunner wrote:
Quote:

I second this!
This is one great deck theme.

And this deck needs Reversal of Fortune! Best artwork ever on a card! I think you can afford to ditch Shaman's Trance? Not very sexy and it's use is very limited can't imagin that a meta is that much on flashback and so on.
I also like Frostwielder or Vulshok Sorcerer much better than Keeper of the Flame, not only because of art but of playability. But if art is more important you could also play Skirsdag Cultist.
Maybe Linvala over Serra Avenger? I like the utility of Linvala, but imho Avenger has the better art.
Sangromancer > Kiku imho.
Thada Adel > Braids, Conjurer Adept
Ink-Eyes?

I don't know about the gender of the character in Conspiracy, but I would not let it or Survival break the theme, if that were my deck. Except we get the creature types beauty or schmexy...

I like Kiku and I can nab a foil one off a friend. Braids, for me, keeps the group hug feel of Karona there. I actually looked at Thada but wasn't sure if she fit the bill.

As for Survival, check what I said again: the one I'd use would be the judge foil, which clearly has a babe on it. For reference: http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/prod ... 286973.jpg

As for Reversal of Fortune over Shaman's Trance, that makes sense. I misunderstood what the Trance did a bit, so this definitely will go in instead.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 1:13 am 

Sephiroth912 wrote:
As for Survival, check what I said again: the one I'd use would be the judge foil, which clearly has a babe on it. For reference: http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/prod ... 286973.jpg

Ah, ok, I missed that. Judge promo Survival has nice art for sure, so forget what i said about that. :P

And regarding Elesh Norn, I would add her, I totally like her art.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 1:21 am 

Trigunner wrote:
Sephiroth912 wrote:

Ah, ok, I missed that. Judge promo Survival has nice art for sure, so forget what i said about that. :P

And regarding Elesh Norn, I would add her, I totally like her art.

Yeah, and with regards to Conspiracy, I realized that Olivia tends to take care of that issue nicely.

I keep feeling like I want to put her in but I can't think of what to really remove for her.

Lastly, I also missed mentioning Keeper of the Flame. I like her more because she just seems to add a bit of variety to the deck. I did think of the Cultist, but there's not really a whole lot of graveyard recursion (short of Reya, that is) to warrant her. Keeper will generally do the same thing, evening out the field, so I like the psuedo -group hug vibe that goes along with Karona.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 4:36 am 

If it would be just about playability in edh, then I would take out Serra Avenger, as she still seems to be one of the weaker cards in your deck.

How about Akroma's Memorial?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 4:42 am 

I had a Kresh deck that was like this. It was him, and his harem. Worked ok 1vs1, but I lacked the colors to use a lot of these cards.

Hero of Bladehold (promo version)
Karmic Guide
Saffi Eriksdotter
Cartographer (I just love the art on her, possibly good if you use fetch lands)
Sangromancer
Auramancer
Stoneforge Mystic (can fetch the gear below)

Viridian Claw
Rakdos Riteknife
Bladed Pinions
Neurok Stealthsuit

Victimize
Angelic Renewal

Does nothing, but OMG hot!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 9:30 am 

Trigunner wrote:
If it would be just about playability in edh, then I would take out Serra Avenger, as she still seems to be one of the weaker cards in your deck.

How about Akroma's Memorial?

True, it's worth trying. I have both so why not?

As for Memorial, it fits the reason a lot of cards aren't in here right now: too pricey. This is one of those decks that I think I'm going to keep, and relatively unchanged at that, for awhile, so I'll be sure to get one down the line as I pimp the deck out, but for the time being, I've opted not to use it.

Superstrength79 wrote:
I had a Kresh deck that was like this. It was him, and his harem. Worked ok 1vs1, but I lacked the colors to use a lot of these cards.

Hero of Bladehold (promo version)
Karmic Guide
Saffi Eriksdotter
Cartographer (I just love the art on her, possibly good if you use fetch lands)
Sangromancer
Auramancer
Stoneforge Mystic (can fetch the gear below)

Viridian Claw
Rakdos Riteknife
Bladed Pinions
Neurok Stealthsuit

Victimize
Angelic Renewal

Does nothing, but OMG hot!

With the exception of Cartographer, I actually looked at each of those creatures. I ultimately decided that each wasn't that great for this particular deck or there was a much better alternative available (the exception being Hero of Bladehold since I just like her original art better), same with the equipments.

Angelic Renewal I don't think fits as well because what it does, Adarkar Valkyrie can do better. As for Victimize, I missed that one. I'll definitely be keeping it in mind when playtesting this, just in case Snuff Out or Go for the Throat don't end up seeing much play in my group, which is entirely possible.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Last edited by Sephiroth912 on 2011-Oct-28 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 9:56 am 

Despite the fact that this could be easily misconstrued as sexist or chauvanistic... I like it! Kudos for the babe-alicious deck! Hopefully no one will take this seriously enough to be offended, but do watch out for the militant feminist types.

Also Urza lands are cool. Good choice!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 10:11 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Despite the fact that this could be easily misconstrued as sexist or chauvanistic... I like it! Kudos for the babe-alicious deck! Hopefully no one will take this seriously enough to be offended, but do watch out for the militant feminist types.

Also Urza lands are cool. Good choice!

Well seeing as how everyone in my playgroup I've shown it to loves it so far, I'd say it's a keeper. Can't wait to try it out on Tuesday when I hook up with my friends.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 12:42 pm 

You should add Melira, Sylvok Outcast because it fits your theme, and also combos with Glen Elendra to give your deck some oomph.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 1:45 pm 

I'm not quite sure why many guys seem to find Elesh Norn attractive. Have you not noticed that she's flayed?

Also I think the "schwing!" thing might get annoying after the first 20-30 repetitions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-28 9:47 pm 

Karmaiko wrote:
You should add Melira, Sylvok Outcast because it fits your theme, and also combos with Glen Elendra to give your deck some oomph.

I was really trying to think of a way to use Melira. I saw her but just couldn't think of anything. This really has me wanting to go back and find a usable slot for her.

pookel wrote:
I'm not quite sure why many guys seem to find Elesh Norn attractive. Have you not noticed that she's flayed?

Also I think the "schwing!" thing might get annoying after the first 20-30 repetitions.

It's the whole body shape thing in relation to what would be considered an attractive sexy build. Not to mention that whole "flayed" factor just adds to a certain "coolness" factor. Like I said, I'm basically on the fence about her still. I like her but I'm kinda "eh" about her really fitting in with the theme.

And yeah, it will, but for those first 20 times, it'll be fun. It's no different then the group's requirement to say "gong!" when activating Temple Bell.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile