Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-15 8:43 am

Post subject: I am Jack The Pumpkin King: Reaper King
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-14 11:06 am 

I am Jack The Pumpkin King: Reaper King
Halloween is coming up and I thought it would be cool to do a deck around the Reaper King/ changelings. Can't descide what to be for Halloween neither can the changelings?
The deck is more focused around the changelings than it is around the king there is only one Scarecrow (Scarecrone) besides the king the rest of the deck takes advantage of changlings being whatever they want for holloween. At one point they are vampires taking advantage of the Bloodline Keeper's ability and sometimes they want to be zombies who come into play for free with effects like Rooftop Storm or they want to have graveyard interactions with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge anyway I think you get the point.
The idea is to pick interations the changelings have with other cards, but the cards they interact with still be good stand alone cards; thats why you see stuff likeKnight-Captain of Eos, a great card interacting with changling/soldiers, but a good card without them too because they put two soldiers in play you can sac to prevent combat damage. Same with Bloodline Keeper good stand alone card, great when you have a few changeling/vampires in play. I would really appreciate the feed back no Counterspell/Demonic Tutor/vampiric tudor/Sensei's Divining Top suggestions please I don't feel them neccissary and they are way over used, I am looking for more interactions (or better interactions) with changeling that are also good stand alone cards...also a smoother mana base, as this one I have seems a bit rocky.

Changelings
100 cards
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Breeding Pool
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Command Tower
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Crumbling Necropolis
2 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Jungle Shrine
1 Mountain
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Raging Ravine
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Riptide Laboratory
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Rupture Spire
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savage Lands
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Seaside Citadel
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Swamp
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Unholy Grotto
1 Volcanic Island
1 Watery Grave
38 lands

1 Mothdust Changeling
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Amoeboid Changeling
1 Fire-Belly Changeling
1 Goblin Recruiter
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Shapesharer
1 Skeletal Changeling
1 Woodland Changeling
1 Avian Changeling
1 Ghostly Changeling
1 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Lord of the Undead
1 Mirror Entity
1 Moonglove Changeling
1 Necrotic Sliver
1 Rotlung Reanimator
1 Scarecrone
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Anger
1 Bloodline Keeper
1 Chameleon Colossus
1 Changeling Berserker
1 Changeling Sentinel
1 Mistform Ultimus
1 Moggcatcher
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Turtleshell Changeling
1 War-Spike Changeling
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 Cairn Wanderer
1 Changeling Hero
1 Changeling Titan
1 Game-Trail Changeling
1 Genesis
1 Knight-Captain of Eos
1 Might Sliver
1 Fury Sliver
1 Primeval Titan
1 Reaper King
41 creatures

1 Sol Ring
1 Blades of Velis Vel
1 Full Moon's Rise
1 Nameless Inversion
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Aura Shards
1 Buried Alive
1 Crib Swap
1 Cultivate
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Crucible of Fire
1 Damnation
1 Endless Ranks of the Dead
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Reap and Sow
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Wrath of God
1 Maelstrom Nexus
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Rooftop Storm
21 other spells

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I am Jack The Pumpkin King: Reaper King
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-14 11:16 am 

Nifty ideas! There are some 'staples' for Reaper King (can cards even be called staples if they're in Reaper King?) that you might find appealing. The ultimate halloween trick or treater is Sakashima the Impostor, who lets you get double duty out of the King without legend ruling him out.

There are some terrifying lords that you could be running. My top picks are Lord of the Unreal and especially Death Baron who plays well with your zombie tokens. Many others, including Goblin Chieftain are also passable.

Finally, a kicked Rite of Replication targeting your Reaper King is a 25 Vindicate apocalypse (though, the king and copies bite it in the process).

Damn. Now I want to dust off that stack of cards I keep meaning to make into a Reaper King deck.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-14 12:40 pm 

I like the approach.

Coat of Arms comes to mind.
Wild Pair? Didn't check to see how much use you'd get out of it, but you do have a lot of creatures.
Distant Melody can draw you a lot of cards.
Ancient Ziggurat - good mana fixing for a creature heavy, 5-color deck.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-14 1:00 pm 

Sinis~

Sakahima Shinanigans! and Replication Apocolypse! Those are pretty strong my friend. I think they are too strong for my deck :) I am actually looking for more interaction with the Changlings than Reaper King himself, my playgroup is pretty casual...the only time I will even use Reaper King and his ability is out of desperation or if somone is on their high horse :) other wise my version of Reaper King is an interaction with the Changelings, not changelings with Reaper King...if that makes any sense. :)

While the different racial lords you suggested for this deck are pretty cool...I just don't see them doing well as stand alone cards. While I will admit my deck has a few non-stand alone affects already...their interaction with changlings was just too good to pass up :)

Yes by all means make a reaper king deck, there is lots of fun to be had!

Thanks for your feedback!

~Jest

P.S. How do you make an avatar under your name? I like yours, very sinister!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-14 1:35 pm 

Tribal everything?
I support this deck
carry on

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-14 2:39 pm 

Jest wrote:
Sinis~

Sakahima Shinanigans! and Replication Apocolypse! Those are pretty strong my friend. I think they are too strong for my deck :) I am actually looking for more interaction with the Changlings than Reaper King himself, my playgroup is pretty casual...the only time I will even use Reaper King and his ability is out of desperation or if somone is on their high horse :) other wise my version of Reaper King is an interaction with the Changelings, not changelings with Reaper King...if that makes any sense. :)
Ahh, well I can understand if folks in your playgroup will find Rite or Sakashima overpowering.

Quote:
While the different racial lords you suggested for this deck are pretty cool...I just don't see them doing well as stand alone cards. While I will admit my deck has a few non-stand alone affects already...their interaction with changlings was just too good to pass up :)
Well, here's the thing, Changelings are really bad on their own. They're vanilla chumps, and somewhat overcosted (except the rare ones, which range from passable to excellent quality). Their only benefit is literally to use multiple lords, or cards like Coat of Arms.

Quote:
Yes by all means make a reaper king deck, there is lots of fun to be had!

Thanks for your feedback!
Your welcome! Reaper King was one of the first generals I wanted to create, but once I scraped together a decent 5 colour manabase, I ended up building Scion of the Ur-Dragon because the scarecrows were just so... mediocre. I keep thinking I'll go back to it, but there are dozens of decks that I want to build, like Mistform Ultimus tribal everything, some of the Kamigawa block legends, some of the Shards generals, and some of the planar chaos dragons.
Quote:
P.S. How do you make an avatar under your name? I like yours, very sinister!

As for the avatar, go to your user control panel (you can get there by clicking the 'new messages' next to the logout button up top), click on 'profile', and then 'edit avatar'. You then have options to upload a picture, or link to a picture at another site.

My avatar is Ihsan's Shade, which is tied to some of my fondest M:TG memories. When I first played, it was between Revised and Alliances. During that time, there were three kinds of removal: red burn like Lightning Bolt/Incinerate, Dark Banishing/Terror and Swords to Plowshares. Ihsan's Shade was a beater who was impervious to almost everything, until Contagion was printed. Ihsan is also very near to my name in the real.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-17 10:21 am 

Sinis~

Thanks for the advice, I guess Changelings are kind of vanilla...the biggest problem I have is making cuts because the list seems fairly descent of course every deck has room for change... I was thinking of removing Primeval Titan because he really doen't fit the theme, removing Blades of Velis Vel, maybe Full Moon's Rise. I'm not sure what to replace them with I was hoping to avoid Coat of Arms (some people in my group play tribal) but you might have a point...I really need more finishers (if someone can think of some, that would be great (preferably tribal themed)...some other cards I liked were Deranged Hermit, Tribal Forcemage, Kazuul Warlord,& Anowon, the Ruin Sage...I really want to Squeeze Lord of the Unreal in this deck as well, because +1/+1 Hexproof is pretty cool...I guess thats the problem with decks with so many colors soooo many choices!

~Jest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-17 6:47 pm 

I'm not really sure what Blades of Velis Vel will do for you, so it could probably be cut.

You're on the right track with Deranged Hermit (though, this is one of the least powerful 'lords' available), Tribal Forcemage, and Allies. There are a few Reaper King/Allies/Changeling lists floating around the internet. They tend to use Allies in the same way I recommend using tribal lords like Lord of the Unreal.

As for finishers, you may have to bite the bullet and play something devastating. I avoided playing really powerful combos, or backbreaking cards (like Insurrection, or kicked Rite of Replication, etc.) for a very long time, but I found that other people were just rolling over me with them. Of course, you may be able to maintain an incremental advantage through the Reaper King's trigger, and simply beat people to death with creatures.

Anyway, if you want to really avoid the extremely powerful finishers like the one I mentioned, there's another feature of Reaper King that you might find useful: RK has an artifically high CMC (it's 10, and that's crazy!), and interacts well with cards like Rush of Knowledge and Torrent of Fire (though, there are not many like this, and the only other really playable one is Cabal Conditioning which is not very fun, and would work with just about any high casting cost creature).

Finally, players will have a lot of trouble keeping up with any kind of card advantage. Because each of your changelings does double duty by being a body and blowing up a permanent, if you can draw more cards than the other players, you can very easily pull ahead without having to play really heavy-handed stuff. Cards like Recurring Insight and Mind Spring can provide a lot of cards which will translate into more permanent destruction and more bodies. This, in my mind, makes Rush of Knowledge extremely powerful, and probably an auto-include. Heck, you could play it for 4 or 5 cards depending on what you had in play and it'd be just fine. With Reaper King? It's the jack(o'lantern)pot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-19 7:53 am 

Ok based on suggestions and my own play testing I have come to a few conclusions I already have Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and I am going to abuse it by playing more knight cards like Knight Exemplar & Kinsbaile Cavalier searching all three out with Buried Alive or Survival of the Fittest and recurring them with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge. Making big indestructable doublestriking changeling/knights.

I am taking out

-Full Moon's Rise (not all that great kind of meh)
-blades of vlis vel (don't know what I was thinking it was just fun and reccurable with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge)
-Nim Deathmantle (still not sure if taking this out is smart, but I need more tribal effects)
-Endless Ranks of the Dead (never gets there)
-Primeval Titan (awesome card just not a good fit with the theme)
-Fury Sliver Replaced by Kinsbaile Cavalier who is cheaper in cost and recurrable with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge)

Adding
+Seshiro the Anointed (+2/+2 to all snakes and all snakes draw a card effect)
+Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (+2/+2 all creatures, semi-board wipe, -2/-2 debuff)
+Coat of Arms (Great for Tribal finisher)
+Tribal Forcemage (great for tribal finisher)
+Knight Exemplar (recurrable with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge)
+Kinsbaile Cavalier (see above i.e. replaced Fury Sliver)

My mana still seems iffy too, also drawing more cards would be helpful but not sure what to Remove to put those effects in, I will continue to weed out cards that are good but less effective for cards that are great and more effective...still trying to keep a tribal theme and welcome suggestions...please help with cuts if you suggest something preferably. I will repost deck list changes when I have more time.

~Jest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-21 10:03 am 

Ok here is the new deck list…I think its pretty good…what are your thoughts? how do you think I could improve it from here but still keep it largely tribal based?

General:
1 Reaper King

Changelings:
1 Mothdust Changeling
1 Amoeboid Changeling
1 Fire-Belly Changeling
1 Shapesharer
1 Skeletal Changeling
1 Woodland Changeling
1 Avian Changeling
1 Ghostly Changeling
1 Mirror Entity
1 Moonglove Changeling
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Chameleon Colossus
1 Changeling Berserker
1 Changeling Sentinel
1 Mistform Ultimus
1 Moggcatcher
1 Turtleshell Changeling
1 War-Spike Changeling
1 Cairn Wanderer
1 Changeling Hero
1 Changeling Titan
1 Game-Trail Changeling

Creature/Tribal Buffs and Utility:
1 Goblin Recruiter
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Necrotic Sliver
1 Might Sliver
1 Bloodline Keeper
1 Rotlung Reanimator
1 Anger
1 Knight-Captain of Eos
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Seshiro the Anointed (New)
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (New)
1 Tribal Forcemage (New)
1 Knight Exemplar (New)
1 Kinsbaile Cavalier (New)

Creature/Tribal Recursion:
1 Scarecrone
1 Lord of the Undead
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 Genesis

Tribal Recursion targets:
1 Crib Swap
1 Nameless Inversion

Mana Fixers:
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Solemn Simulacrum

Tribal Non-Creature Spells:
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Rooftop Storm
1 Crucible of Fire
1 Coat of Arms (New)

Tribal Utility Lands:
1 Unholy Grotto
1 Riptide Laboratory

Misc Non-Creature Ramp/Fix/Util./Search/Mass Removal etc.
1 Sol Ring
1 Aura Shards
1 Buried Alive
1 Cultivate
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Reap and Sow
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Wrath of God
1 Damnation
1 Maelstrom Nexus

Lands:
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Breeding Pool
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Command Tower
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Jungle Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Raging Ravine
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Rupture Spire
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savage Lands
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Seaside Citadel
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
1 Watery Grave

Basic Lands
2 Forest
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Island

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-31 12:53 pm 

Bump for Happy Halloween! and for more Suggestions:

I have finally got all the cards together to play this deck I will let you know how play testing goes...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-31 1:27 pm 

This deck looks like loads of fun. Moggcatcher (good catch btw) is in the wrong section on your list.

Few opinions on your card selections.

Might Sliver Seems really boring to me. I think I would rather have something interactive. Also for the same 5 mana and sliver theme you could grab sliver legion. I would suggest lord of the unreal here as +1/+1 and shroud seems better than +2/+2.

Goblin recruiter I am not a fan of stacking the top of my deck. I'd rather a card go into my hand. Sliver overlord seems like it could be good here. If you dont want to go with him any creature that gets a creature and puts them in your hand would fit better than goblin recruiter IMO.

Rotlung Reanimator unsure what you are trying to do here. If a wrath hits you get a lot of 2/2's who dont get any bonuses that your deck is offering. Maybe vengeful dead can play this role better?

Anger- Doesnt fit the theme. Great card otherwise. For a theme appropriate card there is goblin chieftain or goblin warchief.

Wirewood Symbiote unsure where you are going with this guy. Is it here to untap stuff, save creatures, or replay creatures?

Tribal Forcemage For the same cost as overrun you can give most of your creatures +2/+2 and trample instead. This is one instance where going off theme is just way better than sticking with your theme. For an on theme version you can use Ezuri, Renegade Leader to get the same idea repeatedly and add the regen clause.

Scarecrone there really are not enough targets for his reanimation effect. Have you thought about Myr Reservoir?

Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite seems to have a similar feel for this deck that Prime Titan did. Very strong for the deck but not on theme.

I like the idea of Sakashima the Impostor esp now with cards like Knight Exemplar and Seshiro (and elesh norn)

A few other ideas:
Higure, the Still Wind
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Patron Wizard
Voidmage Prodigy
Lovisa Coldeyes

Tooth and Nail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-01 12:24 pm 

well I want to post a resonse but the site I go to for card taging is having trouble/

http://manabase.com/autocard.php

this site seems to have fallen off...does anyone know of another card tag site?

Jelik~

thanks for the advice I think you have some etremely strong points

-might sliver +Sliver Legion much more fun! I think the biggest reason I didn't search out the slivers further was I just didn't want it to become a sliver deck which could easily happen with too many slivers added.

-Goblin Recruiter +Sliver Overlord from GY to Hand is definately better than on top of library good call.

-Rotlung Reanimator I think I fancied this a pet card more than anything else, but you're right in playtesting it did seem a bit weak. +Sakashima the Imposter

-Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite while this card is great you are right I am getting off theme with it plus I ahve been needing an ability to draw more cards and I have not really utilized blue/or wizard racials Azami, Lady of Scrolls

-Anger another card that doesn't fit Goblin Warchief

-Tribal Forcemage gonna follow you on this one but, still a bit skeptical kind of a pet card the art is just awesome...+Ezuri, Renegade leader

-Scarecrone I still like this card I know you pointed out that it reccurs a small amount of my stuff but the it was tribal for sacing a scarecrow to draw a card as well as potential to bring back my general from the yard...but there are better cards Voidmage prodigy

-land I have 39 lands so 38 is a better number +Lord of the Unreal great card!

thanks for the suggestions...if you see anything else that needs to come out of this deck to replace it with something more fun let me know!

I will try to post the updated deck list as soon as I find another card tag site.

Thanks again Jelik your suggestions were Awesome!

~Jest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-03 6:52 am 

New Deck List...some things I a would like to squeeze in are Lord of the Unreal and possibly Vedalken AEthermage for its sliver bounce and wizard cycling I also like Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker(although he isn't really tribal) in this deck if you can think of something to take out to squeeze him in...also if you can think of any other cards decent enough to replace my non-tribal cards I am open to suggestions.

I have been considering taking out one or two of the changelings that require champion a creature. I realize those have combo effects, but I'm not sure I really have many cards to take advantage of the effect.

General:
1 Reaper King

Changelings: 21
1 Mothdust Changeling
1 Amoeboid Changeling
1 Fire-Belly Changeling
1 Shapesharer
1 Skeletal Changeling
1 Woodland Changeling
1 Avian Changeling
1 Ghostly Changeling
1 Mirror Entity
1 Moonglove Changeling
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Chameleon Colossus
1 Changeling Berserker
1 Changeling Sentinel
1 Mistform Ultimus
1 Turtleshell Changeling
1 War-Spike Changeling
1 Cairn Wanderer
1 Changeling Hero
1 Changeling Titan
1 Game-Trail Changeling

Creature/Tribal Buffs and Utility: 16
1 Sliver Overlord (New)
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Necrotic Sliver
1 Sliver Legion (New)
1 Bloodline Keeper
1 Sakashima the Impostor (New)
1 Goblin Warchief (New)
1 Knight-Captain of Eos
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Seshiro the Anointed
1 Azami, Lady of Scrolls (New)
1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader (New)
1 Knight Exemplar
1 Kinsbaile Cavalier
1 Moggcatcher
1 Voidmage Prodigy (New)

Creature/Tribal Recursion: 4
1 Lord of the Undead
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 Genesis

Tribal Recursion targets: 2
1 Crib Swap
1 Nameless Inversion

Mana Fixers: 2
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Solemn Simulacrum

Tribal Non-Creature Spells: 4
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Rooftop Storm
1 Crucible of Fire
1 Coat of Arms (New)

Misc Non-Creature Ramp/Fix/Util./Search/Mass Removal etc: 12
1 Sol Ring
1 Aura Shards
1 Buried Alive
1 Cultivate
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Reap and Sow
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Wrath of God
1 Damnation
1 Maelstrom Nexus

Tribal Utility Lands: 2
1 Unholy Grotto
1 Riptide Laboratory

Non-Basic Lands: 30
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Breeding Pool
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Command Tower
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Jungle Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Raging Ravine
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Rupture Spire
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savage Lands
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Seaside Citadel
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
1 Watery Grave

Basic Lands: 6
2 Forest
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Island

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-03 8:29 pm 

Have you considered Bloodlord of Vaasgoth? It just occurred to me he could make your changelings pretty frightening, while being a great potential beater himself.

Offline Profile