Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 11:59 pm

Post subject: Dralnu's Control
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 5:12 am 

Hi all,
after years (and years :( ) of inactivity I recently came back in the Magic world...and I have to admit it, I fell in love with the Commander format, so after some "beta testing" decks I finished up with this! I have tested it in various games (1 VS 1, multiplayer ecc ecc) and it gives me real fun...!

Oh...I use at the moment only cards I have (the cards I still have not sell...!), so feedback obviously is more than wellcome :D ...many thanks in advance! :wink:

Commander:
Dralnu, Lich Lord

Creatures:
Fatespinner
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Vendilion Clique
Arcanis the Omnipotent
Magus of the Future (I don't have Future Sight)
Rootwater Thief
Dimir Cutpurse
Consecrated Sphinx
Szadek, Lord of Secrets
Nemesis of Reason
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Palinchron
Clone
Evil Twin

Draw/Tutoring spells:
Liliana Vess
Jace Beleren (I don't have Jace, the Mind Sculptor :( )
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Merchant Scroll
Yawgmoth's Will
Braingeyser
Stroke of Genius
Ancestral Vision
Brainstorm
Frantic Search
Divination
Preordain
Think Twice
Visions of Beyond
Trade Secrets
Dream Cache
Sign in Blood
Night's Whisper

Control spells:
Evacuation
Damnation
All Is Dust
Cryptic Command
Spell Crumple
Hinder
Counterspell
Rewind
Thwart
Dissipate
Cancel
Tunnel Vision
Spin into Myth
Memory Erosion
Sadistic Sacrament
Traumatize
High Tide
Beacon of Tomorrows
Twincast
Control Magic
Treachery
Mind Control
Enslave
Bribery
Blatant Thievery
Volition Reins
Dream Leash

Artifacts:
Sensei's Divining Top
Planar Portal
Caged Sun

Lands:
Underground Sea
Watery Grave
Darkslick Shores
Drowned Catacomb
Creeping Tar Pit
Tainted Isle
Dreadship Reef
Bojuka Bog
Reliquary Tower
Maze of Ith
Polluted Delta
12 Island
10 Swamp

Here are some strategies:
The most important thing to remember is "protect" your General, I don't want to sacrifice permanents, but also remember that you have a Snapcaster Mage at every turn, so you have potentially double the counters and double the drawers!!

The first and faster is to use Spell Crumple/Hinder/Spin into Myth/Vendilion Clique to put an opponent's card on the bottom of his deck, than cast Tunnel Vision and wipe out his entire deck...maybe you want also to exile the graveyard with Bojuka Bog (there are plenty of drawers and tutors after all ;) )

Another way is to have on the field Caged Sun (choosing "blue") and Planar Portal, search Beacon of Tomorrows and when you can generate 14 blue mana (7 lands producing at least a blue mana) you have infinite turns to play...so simply think about how you can beat each one of your opponents and do it...you have all your deck and all the time you want after all... ;)

With High Tide/Caged Sun, Palinchron and the proper amount of lands you can generate infinite mana, so "maybe" :) if you also have in your hand Braingeyser or Stroke of Genius you can force your opponent to draw too much cards...or opponents if you also have Twincast!

You can mix these strategies, you can also eradicate an opponent deck with the aid of Oona, Queen of the Fae, Szadek, Lord of Secrets and the Nemesis of Reason, you can steal your opponent's best creatures, permanents and alike, disrupt their combos, counter and control the field and when the situation is dreadful...you can use Evacuation, Damnation or All Is Dust!

I'm thinking about Mind Over Matter but I don't know...

Anyway, as I said feedback is more than wellcome and thanks a lot in advance for that, hope you'll find this deck "interesting"!

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dralnu's Control
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 7:28 am 

32 lands is crazy low. I'd want at least 40 in that deck, and play some mana artifacts too. At a minimum Sol Ring, Coalition Relic, Mind Stone and Dimir Signet belong. Thawing Glaciers would be ideal, but just more basics would be fine. More islands than swamps since you have more blue deck manipulation to find black mana if needed.

Note that if you have them it's legal to play the other fetchlands - Bloodstained Mire plays Underground Sea just as well as Polluted Delta.

Needs a Ponder too, and probably Sleight of Hand, Serum Visions and Opt. Skeletal Scrying is much better than Stroke of Genius (which is still fine).

Try a little harder to focus your control spells to interact with your general. For instance, Enslave is a fairly strong spell (but you're missing Confiscate?), but Dominate offers a similar effect, can steal animated lands that are attacking you, and can be re-used with Dralnu's flashback.

Cards I would cut for land:
Fatespinner
Rootwater Thief
Frantic Search
Sadistic Sacrament
Dream Leash
Planar Portal (I like it, but really it's pretty redundant with Dralnu given the number of search and draw effects you have, and it costs 20% of the mana in your deck to cast or activate!)

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 8:18 am 

Thanks gzeiger,
I've just tested and you're right, more lands and works better, thanks a lot!! :D I've played still with Planar Portal and Fatespinner...I just love them but I still want to try without the "girl"...!! :P

Thanks a lot, really!

N.B. Yes...I missed Confiscate...sadly I don't have it...yet... ;)

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 8:40 am 

Of the cards I suggested, I think Coalition Relic is the most expensive at $2. Confiscate can be had from an online retailer for 15 cents plus shipping (and $1 shipping is available in many cases). Well, Sol Ring is expensive, but also available in the precon decks so it's at least readily available.

Just noticed you're missing Dimir Aqueduct too. That's really one of the best lands available.

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 8:55 am 

Oh that's not a problem, I have all that cards exept Confiscate :( ...Sol Ring is not a problem, I have plenty of them (Revised and Unlimited)...! :wink:

Only a question...why do you prefer Skeletal Scrying...? I think Stroke is much better if you consider Dralnu's ability...or not?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 9:12 am 

Stroke just costs so much mana, and compares unfavorably to alternatives at almost every mana cost. It takes six mana to make it better than Counsel of the Soratami, at which point Tidings is still better until you hit nine mana.

It's true that Skeletal Scrying has poor synergy with Dralnu, but most of the time once you start activating him you'll be fine. Rarely will you get more than one activation per turn out of him, and you have enough draw spells that you should always have something worthwhile to do with it. Better to focus your deck on making sure you have enough life and mana to get to that point. Stroke is better once you're already in a dominant position, but because of the lower mana cost Scrying is far better at setting you up for that position, digging out of mana screw or finding a key sweeper when you're about to be killed. Also, the negative synergy isn't as bad as you think. Granted I usually play Scrying in a 5-color deck that has more fetchlands, but even in this deck there should be plenty of low-value Dralnu targets that you don't mind exiling too much. Stuff like Preordain is going to be relatively low on the list of flashback targets, but is still strong enough early in the game to warrant inclusion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 9:14 am 

Lightning Greaves is an exceptionally good card in Dralnu. Sure you have alot of counters, but not having to waste them on Spot Removal is nice, as is being able to activate him the turn he eters the battlefield.

gzeiger wrote:
Stroke just costs so much mana, and compares unfavorably to alternatives at almost every mana cost. It takes six mana to make it better than Counsel of the Soratami, at which point Tidings is still better until you hit nine mana.

It's true that Skeletal Scrying has poor synergy with Dralnu, but most of the time once you start activating him you'll be fine. Rarely will you get more than one activation per turn out of him, and you have enough draw spells that you should always have something worthwhile to do with it. Better to focus your deck on making sure you have enough life and mana to get to that point. Stroke is better once you're already in a dominant position, but because of the lower mana cost Scrying is far better at setting you up for that position, digging out of mana screw or finding a key sweeper when you're about to be killed. Also, the negative synergy isn't as bad as you think. Granted I usually play Scrying in a 5-color deck that has more fetchlands, but even in this deck there should be plenty of low-value Dralnu targets that you don't mind exiling too much. Stuff like Preordain is going to be relatively low on the list of flashback targets, but is still strong enough early in the game to warrant inclusion.

Stroke is also a wincon though. I think it belongs in this deck. I do not think Scrying does - the neg synergy is just too high.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 9:23 am 

To be clear, nobody is saying Stroke should not be played. But Scrying belongs in every deck with black.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 9:25 am 

Ok perfect, now I understand better the point, thanks a lot to both!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 2:46 pm 

I love your most of your selections here. It's a deck that uses small drawer spells and Flashes them back to get maximum use out of them. This wouldn't work as well without Dralnu, but is totally perfect with him.

First and foremost: Thousand-Year Elixir, Magewright Stone, and Puppet Strings should probably find a home in there. At least the first two.

To protect Dranlnu, there are some other things which might be neat:

Kor Dirge is interesting, and specifically prevents him from getting damaged, which is what's most important. If he's just dead, no biggie. If you want old school, Reality Ripple and Silhouette could work.

Call to Heel/Go for the Throat aren't great but prevent him from getting tucked or something worse. Last Gasp could do the same thing, but it's not usually enough for what people play in EDH.

Commandeer should be in there. It's evil.

Also, you could get some fun mileage out of cycling cards, like Expunge or something. Mage's Guile is instant speed shroud, which helps. It also has cycling, so if you have to dig, you can. (You can't cycle out of the yard, sadly, but at least you'll get one use out of it.)

Veil of Secrecy is also instant speed shroud that doubles as a means to get through.

Infuse, Jolt, and Twitch could be fun ways to thin out your deck. Target Dralnu if you want to make it real quick. They aren't that great, though, and you could probably have just something better.

I would skip Think Twice (as much as I personally love it) for any other spell that draws you at least two. Consult the Necrosages is neat, and could randomly get rid of something annoying in someone's hand if absolutely necessary. Mystic Speculation could fit here too.

I personally don't like Trade Secrets. You're going to be riding the card advantage train all day; why let your opponents come aboard? Play something like Opportunity instead.

You could also play Bubbling Muck as well as High Tide. Not sure if every infinite combo will work with it, but it will depend on which lands you have out.

That's just what's off the top of my head. I imagine you'll have a good deck with this; the question will be if you have enough of a payload to win. But with Dralnu, you've got more than one crack at it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 5:44 pm 

You are missing some of the most important draw spells for your deck concept.

Swap Think Twice for Forbidden Alchemy
Swap Trade Secrets for Fact or Fiction

Consider adding Forbid. Rules question, can you buyback Forbid off a flashback and get it back to hand?

Knowledge Exploitation and Memory Plunder wouldn't go amiss either.

Chancellor of the Spires is perfect for the deck. Goes nova if somebody has a Cackling Counterpart or Rite of Replication in their graveyard. Imagine Rite of Replication/Chancellor/Palinchron. Point the first copy at chancellor and kick it, casting Rite of Replication again 5 times. Point the first 1 at palinchron, point the middle 3 at anything, point the last one at Chancellor and kick it again. That is AWESOME. You can't plan for it, but a LOT of blue players run Rite of Replication, and that will make them regret it.

Mindleech Mass is another card that can do some fun things

Mindcrank and Mesmeric Orb are also probably right up your street.

Big Mac and Pickles (Angus Mackenzie Control inc. Pickles Lock)|Sharuum (Artifact Combo)|Garza Zol (Vampires+Goodstuff); Sedris (I can steal anything); Nicol Bolas (WIP)|Kresh (Jund Good Stuff);Karrthus (Dragon Tokens Everywhere)|Tamanoa (Earthquakes Galore)
Wedges:
Oros (Life gaining Pings)|Riku's Perfect Snowstorm (Variety of Storms+Snow)|Doran the Explorer (Wall Tribal)|Ruhan (Voltron);Zedruu (Enchantments)
5C:
Scion (Dragon Stompy Midrange)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 6:32 pm 

You can't buyback a spell that has been flashed back. You can try, but it gets exiled instead.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile