Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Aug-17 8:53 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 6:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
2012-Gen-25
No thought but hunger (Ramp). No strategy but destruction(Annihilation).
Pathrazer of Ulamog's flavor text

Back to an all-in configuration. Just a lot of ramp and a bunch of manadenial on opponent's lands.
Good agains control, vs aggro need a (very) fast Kozi to win.

Average cast turn (goldfish): (own)T4

Manabase - 40
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Dread Statuary
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Eldrazi Temple
1 Maze of Ith
1 Maze of Shadows
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Wasteland
1 Springjack Pasture
1 Temple of the False God
1 Deserted Temple
1 Homeward Path
1 Vesuva
1 Buried Ruin
1 Rishadan Port
1 Winding Canyons
1 Unstable Frontier
1 Cloudpost
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Dust Bowl
1 Gargoyle Castle
1 Ancient Tomb
1 High Market
1 Mishra's Workshop
1 Scorched Ruins
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Tower of the Magistrate
1 Glimmerpost
1 Phyrexia's Core
1 Urza's Mine
1 Urza's Power Plant
1 Urza's Tower
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Everflowing Chalice

cc0 Ramp - 4
1 Mox Opal
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Mana Crypt
1 Lotus Bloom

cc1 Ramp - 2
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault

cc2 Ramp - 10
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Prismatic Lens
1 Mind Stone
1 Grim Monolith
1 Guardian Idol
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Doubling Cube 1 Manakin
1 Plague Myr
1 Walking Atlas

cc3 Ramp - 6
1 Worn Powerstone
1 Coalition Relic
1 Kyren Toy
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Ventifact Bottle

1 Palladium Myr

cc4 Ramp - 5
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Khalni Gem
1 Sisay's Ring
1 Ur-Golem's Eye

cc5 Ramp - 2
1 Blinkmoth Urn
1 Gilded Lotus

cc6 Ramp - 1
1 Dreamstone Hedron

Soft Lock - 4
1 Winter Orb
1 Defense Grid
1 Mana Web
1 Mishra's Helix

Haste - 4
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Strider Harness
1 Akroma's Memorial

Draw&Tutor - 7
1 Expedition Map
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Temporal Aperture
1 Crystal Ball
1 Memory Jar
1 Mind's Eye
1 Planar Portal

Untap&Utility - 6
1 Voltaic Key
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Rings of Brighthearth
1 Null Brooch
1 Unwinding Clock
1 Clock of Omens

Removals&Wincon - 7
1 All Is Dust
1 Karn Liberated

1 Ulamog's Crusher
1 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 It That Betrays

Commander - 1
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth




2011-Sep-22

List update explanation (open in another tab)



// Lands 37
1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [TE] Wasteland
1 [EVE] Springjack Pasture
1 [MM] Rishadan Port
1 [CHK] Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 [WL] Winding Canyons
1 [SOM] Glimmerpost
1 [CFX] Unstable Frontier
1 [TSP] Vesuva
1 [9E] Urza's Power Plant
1 [TE] Maze of Shadows
1 [M11] Mystifying Maze
1 [CFX] Reliquary Tower
1 [DK] Maze of Ith
1 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
1 [DDF] Mishra's Factory
1 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
1 [DS] Blinkmoth Nexus
1 [MM] Dust Bowl
1 [SOK] Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
1 [MM] Tower of the Magistrate
1 [TE] Ancient Tomb
1 [M12] Buried Ruin
1 [NPH] Phyrexia's Core
1 [SOK] Miren, the Moaning Well
1 [9E] Urza's Tower
1 [MR] Cloudpost
1 [MM] High Market
1 [DDF] Darksteel Citadel
1 [9E] Urza's Mine
1 [AQ] Mishra's Workshop
1 [CMD] Homeward Path
1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
1 [WL] Scorched Ruins
1 [CMD] Temple of the False God
1 [OD] Deserted Temple

// Mana acc. 25
1 [BIN] Mana Crypt
1 [DDF] Everflowing Chalice
1 [SOM] Mox Opal
1 [5E] Mana Vault
1 [CMD] Sol Ring
1 [UL] Grim Monolith
1 [10E] Mind Stone
1 [FD] Doubling Cube
1 [FD] Guardian Idol
1 [CS] Coldsteel Heart
1 [8E] Star Compass
1 [TSP] Prismatic Lens
1 [5E] Fellwar Stone
1 [MM] Kyren Toy
1 [DDE] Worn Powerstone
1 [U] Basalt Monolith
1 [MI] Ventifact Bottle
1 [IA] Ice Cauldron
1 [DS] Ur-Golem's Eye
1 [ZEN] Khalni Gem
1 [VI] Sisay's Ring
1 [ARC] Thran Dynamo
1 [MR] Blinkmoth Urn
1 [MR] Gilded Lotus
1 [ROE] Dreamstone Hedron

// Mana Dudes 3
1 [MBS] Plague Myr
1 [TE] Manakin
1 [SOM] Palladium Myr

// Annihilators Dudes 6
1 [ROE] Ulamog's Crusher
1 [CMD] Artisan of Kozilek
1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 [ROE] Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 [ROE] It That Betrays

// Indestructible Dudes 2
1 [M10] Darksteel Colossus
1 [MBS] Blightsteel Colossus

// Distruption Dudes 3
1 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
1 [ARC] Duplicant
1 [ARC] Sundering Titan

// Distruption 3
1 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah
1 [ROE] All Is Dust
1 [NPH] Karn Liberated

// Fail-safe Dudes 2
1 [M11] Platinum Angel
1 [SOM] Platinum Emperion

// PowerUps 7
1 [CMD] Lightning Greaves
1 [M12] Swiftfoot Boots
1 [SOM] Strider Harness
1 [M11] Sword of Vengeance

1 [FUT] Akroma's Memorial

1 [SOM] Grafted Exoskeleton
1 [ROE] Eldrazi Conscription

// Tutor, Manipulation & Ca. 6
1 [ZEN] Expedition Map
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [US] Temporal Aperture
1 [M11] Crystal Ball
1 [MR] Tower of Fortunes
1 [UL] Memory Jar

// Utility 6
1 [M11] Voltaic Key
1 [10E] Sculpting Steel
1 [LRW] Rings of Brighthearth
1 [FD] Clock of Omens
1 [NPH] Unwinding Clock
1 [FD] Vedalken Orrery

// Lands 3+36

1 [DK] Maze of Ith
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
1 [5E] Ice Floe

1 [EVE] Springjack Pasture
1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
1 [TE] Ghost Town
1 [SOM] Glimmerpost
1 [US] Blasted Landscape
1 [MM] Tower of the Magistrate
1 [TE] Ancient Tomb
1 [M12] Buried Ruin
1 [OD] Deserted Temple
1 [MR] Cloudpost
1 [WL] Scorched Ruins
1 [CMD] Temple of the False God
1 [CHK] Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 [DDF] Darksteel Citadel
1 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
1 [MM] Dust Bowl
1 [MR] Blinkmoth Well
1 [MM] Rishadan Port
1 [TE] Maze of Shadows
1 [TSP] Vesuva
1 [WL] Winding Canyons
1 [9E] Urza's Tower
1 [CFX] Unstable Frontier
1 [9E] Urza's Power Plant
1 [MM] High Market
1 [9E] Urza's Mine
1 [TE] Wasteland
1 [NPH] Phyrexia's Core
1 [AQ] Mishra's Workshop
1 [CMD] Homeward Path
1 [SOK] Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [SOK] Miren, the Moaning Well
1 [M11] Mystifying Maze
1 [CFX] Reliquary Tower
1 [6E] Crystal Vein

// Game Enders 1+7+1

1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

1 [ARC] Sundering Titan
1 [ROE] Ulamog's Crusher
1 [CMD] Artisan of Kozilek
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 [M10] Darksteel Colossus
1 [MBS] Blightsteel Colossus
1 [ROE] It That Betrays

1 [SOM] Grafted Exoskeleton

// Ramp 2+23

1 [WWK] Walking Atlas
1 [SOM] Palladium Myr

1 [DDF] Everflowing Chalice
1 [BIN] Mana Crypt
1 [SOM] Mox Opal
1 [5E] Mana Vault
1 [CMD] Sol Ring
1 [10E] Mind Stone
1 [FD] Doubling Cube
1 [5E] Fellwar Stone
1 [UL] Grim Monolith
1 [TSP] Prismatic Lens
1 [CS] Coldsteel Heart
1 [8E] Star Compass
1 [MI] Ventifact Bottle
1 [MM] Kyren Toy
1 [DDE] Worn Powerstone
1 [A] Basalt Monolith
1 [ZEN] Khalni Gem
1 [ARC] Thran Dynamo
1 [VI] Sisay's Ring
1 [DS] Ur-Golem's Eye
1 [MR] Gilded Lotus
1 [MR] Blinkmoth Urn
1 [ROE] Dreamstone Hedron

// Removals 2+8

1 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
1 [ARC] Duplicant

1 [M11] Brittle Effigy
1 [6E] Wand of Denial
1 [SOM] Lux Cannon
1 [MI] Amulet of Unmaking
1 [NE] Predator, Flagship
1 [NPH] Karn Liberated
1 [ROE] All Is Dust
1 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah

// Draw & Tutor 4+2

1 [US] Temporal Aperture
1 [M11] Crystal Ball
1 [MR] Tower of Fortunes
1 [UL] Memory Jar

1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [ZEN] Expedition Map

// Haste-tools 5

1 [FNM] Lightning Greaves
1 [SOM] Strider Harness
1 [M11] Sword of Vengeance
1 [M12] Swiftfoot Boots
1 [FUT] Akroma's Memorial

// Untap & Utility 3+3

1 [M11] Voltaic Key
1 [FD] Clock of Omens
1 [NPH] Unwinding Clock

1 [LRW] Rings of Brighthearth
1 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
1 [10E] Sculpting Steel

After sometime playing Ulamog, a day I tried Kozilek in the same deck i was using to support Ulamog. Result was unbelivable, without any adjustment to the deck, playing the general was a lot faster (despite 1cc difference), drawing 4 card olso if the general was countered/destroyed made me play him another time easly, and the 2 turn clock was extraordinary. So i decided di change permanently general and i came up with a new deck for Kozi, without all the overcosted drawing spell, relying on general's drawing ability mostly. This modification opened slots to more removals and soft lock spells balancing the deck to fight against Control & Agrro Deck without relying only on general's tempo.

Manabase - 38
1 Springjack Pasture
1 Eldrazi Temple
1 Blinkmoth Well
1 Buried Ruin
1 Cloudpost
1 Crystal Vein
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Deserted Temple
1 Dust Bowl
1 Maze of Shadows
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Ghost Town
1 Glimmerpost
1 Blasted Landscape
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Homeward Path
1 Maze of Ith
1 Temple of the False God
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Mishra's Workshop
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Phyrexia's Core
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rishadan Port
1 Strip Mine
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Tower of the Magistrate
1 Urza's Mine
1 High Market
1 Urza's Power Plant
1 Unstable Frontier
1 Urza's Tower
1 Winding Canyons
1 Vesuva
1 Wasteland

Mana Rocks - 16
1 Mana Crypt
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Grim Monolith
1 Doubling Cube
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Worn Powerstone
1 Palladium Myr
1 Ventifact Bottle
1 Ur-Golem's Eye
1 Sisay's Ring
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Blinkmoth Urn
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Dreamstone Hedron

Removals - 11
1 Brittle Effigy
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Lux Cannon
1 Predator, Flagship
1 Amulet of Unmaking
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Duplicant
1 Karn Liberated
1 All Is Dust
1 Spine of Ish Sah
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

Denial & Self Protection - 9
1 Defense Grid
1 Wand of Denial
1 Mana Web
1 Forcefield
1 Jester's Cap
1 Jester's Mask
1 Mishra's Helix
1 Ring of Immortals
1 Darksteel Forge

Draw & Tutor - 7
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Expedition Map
1 Temporal Aperture
1 Crystal Ball
1 Memory Jar
1 Mind's Eye
1 Kuldotha Forgemaster Out: 11/09/11
1 Planar Portal

HasteIzer - 5
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Strider Harness
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Akroma's Memorial

Untappers - 4
1 Voltaic Key
1 Sands of Time
1 Clock of Omens
1 Unwinding Clock

Recursion - 3
1 Myr Welder
1 Arcbound Reclaimer
1 Crucible of Worlds

Doublers - 3
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Rings of Brighthearth
1 Mirrorworks

Alternative Wincon - 2
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Grafted Exoskeleton

Bouncers - 1
1 Erratic Portal

Commander - 1
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth


Thx for reading and, if u do, for answering.

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Last edited by theg on 2012-Jan-24 4:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 12:48 pm 

Joined: 2010-Oct-10 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Is there any reason you're not running Sculpting Steel? A good chunk of your cards are artifacts, and if it's worth having one on the battlefield it's got to be worth having two? Nothing quite like playing out a second Duplicant for 3.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 5:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
Thx for the tip!

+ Sculpting Steel
- Kuldota Forgemaster

List Updated 11/09/11

Never used forgemaster.. i don't like the huge disadvantage that k.f. exhange for card quality.
I noticed that the best strategy 1vs1 is popping out an early and hasty ulamog no matter what deck are u facing. +4 CA is awesome also if ulamog don't reach the table. i'm thinking to improve mana boosting of the deck with Kyren Toy, and some cc2 acc. like Mind Stone, Fellwar Stone and maybe go up to 40 lands for more consistency...but i dont know what cut out. Help? i was guessing to cut other drawing spells like Mind's eye but i don't know what else.

Multiplayer Games: I noticed a simple slot to adapt the deck as it is (some minor changes,obv) to multiplayer.... Just add a Spawnsire of Ulamog with a "Wish" sideboard ( Ulamog's Crusher, Artisan of Kozilek Hand of Emrakul Pathrazer of Ulamog It That Betrays ) to become an aggro eldrazi deck :) and a Eldrazi Monument to avoid mass removals.

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 9:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Aug-13 2:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
theg wrote:
Multiplayer Games: I noticed a simple slot to adapt the deck as it is (some minor changes,obv) to multiplayer.... Just add a Spawnsire of Ulamog with a "Wish" sideboard ( Ulamog's Crusher, Artisan of Kozilek Hand of Emrakul Pathrazer of Ulamog It That Betrays ) to become an aggro eldrazi deck :) and a Eldrazi Monument to avoid mass removals.

Despite its name, Eldrazi Monument isn't an Eldrazi card, it's just a regular artifact. You may want to exchange it with All is Dust, which has the apropriate card type.

_________________
My Commander decks:
Damia, Sage of Stone - Non-obnoxious goodstuff
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - Tokens, recursion, and lifegain
Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 2:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
Malekoda wrote:
theg wrote:
Multiplayer Games: I noticed a simple slot to adapt the deck as it is (some minor changes,obv) to multiplayer.... Just add a Spawnsire of Ulamog with a "Wish" sideboard ( Ulamog's Crusher, Artisan of Kozilek Hand of Emrakul Pathrazer of Ulamog It That Betrays ) to become an aggro eldrazi deck :) and a Eldrazi Monument to avoid mass removals.

Despite its name, Eldrazi Monument isn't an Eldrazi card, it's just a regular artifact. You may want to exchange it with All is Dust, which has the apropriate card type.


Maybe i don't express well myself. Eldrazi Monument & Spawnsire of Ulamog has to be in-deck and the other eldrazi dudes in-side.

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-14 9:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Aug-13 2:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
theg wrote:
Maybe i don't express well myself.

Nah, just me not reading parentheses well. ;-)

_________________
My Commander decks:
Damia, Sage of Stone - Non-obnoxious goodstuff
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - Tokens, recursion, and lifegain
Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-16 10:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jun-11 8:35 pm
Age: Drake
I didn't look at your whole list carefully. but I think any colorless deck needs Shimmer Myr

_________________
Some say...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-18 11:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
Issues from control decks continued, so I thought a new approach to the deck.

Why rely only on general when i have so much colorelss fatties with Annihlator/Indestructibility&Autosave that i could cast before or side-by-side with my general o when isn't aviable (tucked)?

So i cut of "inteligent" part of the previous deck and i went "all in" with mana production and big fatties...results? After a while all spells become a Must Counter and the first annihlator that hits the battlefield is like a open coffin for my op.

Beside those improvements i have some remaining thoughts about those cards

Walking atlas... 39 land are too few? also with Khalni Gem?Lotus Bloom +3 one-shot mana acc. is better?
Ice Caludron now seems worthy (large fatties in hand) ..but i don't know what cut.

The deck as it is is setted-up for duels, could i run it without protections also in multiplayer?

- List Updated on top -


TheStig wrote:
I didn't look at your whole list carefully. but I think any colorless deck needs Shimmer Myr


i noted that playing at the end of op. turn isn't very worthy all time, obv. IMHO... but cards like Vedalken Orrery/Shimmer myr make the best Under Unwinding Clock with the result of 1 extra turn (without draw sometimes)... the deck lacks of draw & tutoring, so i'm not sure to draw the 2 cards... if you could exlplain the benefits of playing "flashing" spells i would insert Vedalken Orrey that works also for eldrazi(s)

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-18 3:34 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jun-11 8:35 pm
Age: Drake
You can flash in a fatty to block or with eldrazi it allows you to get in an attack with annihilator and not be susceptible to sorcey speed removal.

Think about when someone wipes the board cause you played a fatty on your turn. If you flash it in you at least get some mileage out of it.

_________________
Some say...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-22 10:49 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
TheStig wrote:
You can flash in a fatty to block or with eldrazi it allows you to get in an attack with annihilator and not be susceptible to sorcey speed removal.

Think about when someone wipes the board cause you played a fatty on your turn. If you flash it in you at least get some mileage out of it.


I tried and i liked.. good protection from sorcery speed removals with all of those new creatures. and wonderful interactions with Unwinding Clock


New changes: the list was updated with speed in mind..putting out everything that haven't a direct impact on play and replacing removals with more Annihilators taking full advantage of "haste shell" that's already in. Moreover "Platinums" protect me from ugly comboing decks. To improve definitively the fearfulness (exist?)of this deck Eldrazi Conscription makes also the tiny mana dudes good sweepers & Grafted Exoskeleton gives isnta-kill(or 2 turn clock)to all the other creatures.

The increment of High-CMC spells inside the deck led me increase the mana accellerators. now Kozi hits the table on turn 6 (mine) at 90% but it's also possible on turn 4 or 5. isn't important that it will be countered/tucked, thanks to +4 CA and many other threats that the deck is running.

List updated on top - 2011-Sep-22 -

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-24 3:43 pm 

Joined: 2010-Dec-18 11:18 am
Age: Wyvern
Can you explain to me what Unwinding Clock does for you that is so good? I don't understand. Another thing: Does Star Compas really work since you don't have any basic lands?

Also why don't you play Plague Myr since you're playing Millikin and Manakin?

I play a similiar version though with a few different choices.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-25 11:23 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
Kassow-Rossing wrote:
Can you explain to me what Unwinding Clock does for you that is so good? I don't understand. Another thing: Does Star Compas really work since you don't have any basic lands?
Also why don't you play Plague Myr since you're playing Millikin and Manakin?
I play a similiar version though with a few different choices.


Unwinding clock untaps for free all Monoliths+Vault, permits double uses of Kyren Toy & Ventifact Bottle, moreover with Vedalken Orrey i get an additional turn every op turn.. however if i set up the deck with some sideboard card (Lux Cannon, Planar portal, Predator, Wand of denial) it becomes also better.

I use Star Compass for colorless mana is it wrong (i didn't find any errata)? any replacement?

look! I use plague but not Millkin (i lose a card, NOOOO)

I'm interested in your list, please post it! My driving concept is "best defence is offence" thats is converted, as u can see, in a massive mana ramp & huge creatures with some distruption/draw emement around the deck.

I can not wait to see your list...seems like no one is interested in Eldrazi colorelss deck :(

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-01 8:50 am 

Joined: 2010-Dec-18 11:18 am
Age: Wyvern
In my opinion it is a very strong deck. However it is vulnerable as you must also have felt. Hehe and I love your headline because it's just absolutely true!!! :) Unless Emrakul had been legal obv.

Okay I get the Unwinding Clock now. However I still don't understand how you get an additional turn after every opponent turn with Vedalken Orrery?

You can't use Star Compas for colourless mana. It produces a mana after what basic land you have and since you don't have any basic lands: It can't be tapped for mana. Replacement? I don't know but check my list :D

Hmm that's a good strategy. Perhaps I should cut my defensive cards. The following is my deck list. After the deck list I will comment a little on card choices:


1 General
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

38 Lands
Ancient Tomb
Blinkmoth Nexus
Buried Ruin
Cloudpost
Darksteel Citadel
Deserted Temple
Dust Bowl
Eldrazi Temple
Eye of Ugin
Ghost Quarter
Glimmerpost
Hall of the Bandit Lord
High Market
Homeward Path
Inkmoth Nexus
Maze of Ith
Maze of Shadows
Micocoro, Center of the Sea
Miren, the Moaning Well
Mishra’s Factory
Mishra’s Workshop
Mystifying Maze
Phyrexia’s Core
Reliquary Tower
Rishadan Port
Scorched Ruins
Springjack Pasture
Tectonic Edge
Temple of the False God
Tower of the Magistrate
Unstable Frontier
Urza’s Mine
Urza’s Power Plant
Urza’s Tower
Vesuva
Wasteland
Winding Canyons
Zoetic Cavern

19 Creatures
Artisan of Kozilek

Blightsteel Colossus
Darksteel Colossus
Darksteel Juggernaut
Duplicant
Etched Champion
It that Betrays
Manakin
Manor Gargoyle
Millikin
Mycosynth Golem
Palladium Myr
Pathrazer of Ulamog
Plague Myr
Steel Hellkite
Sundering Titan
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Ulamog’s Crusher
Wurmcoil Engine

25 Mana Artifacts
Basalt Monolith
Blinkmoth Urn
Coalition Relic
Coldsteel Heart
Darksteel Ingot
Dreamstone Hedron
Everflowing Chalice
Fellwar Stone
Gilded Lotus
Grim Monolith
Guardian Idol
Kyren Toy
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mind Stone
Mox Opal
Prismatic Lens
Pristine Talisman
Serum Powder
Sisay’s Ring
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Ur-Golem’s Eye
Ventifact Bottle
Worn Powerstone

4 Equipments
Lightning Greaves
Strider Harness
Swiftfoot Boots
Whispersilk Cloak

1 Planeswalker
Karn Liberated

11 Other Artifacts
Angelheart Vial
Batterskull
Darksteel Forge
Memory Jar
Mimic Vat
Mind’s Eye
Null Brooch
Sculpting Steel
Sensei’s Divining Top
Voltaic Key
Winter Orb

- Total 99 + 1

Lands: I play one more land than you do. I felt like I needed it. That land is Zoetic Cavern.
Creatures: I've included a lot more creature threads because sometimes I had my Kozilek being countered by Spell Crumble og Hinder only to lose the game just like that. I always lose if my opponents has Artifact removal so I added some more Darksteel. I really like Juggernaut because it's huge and I often need a creature to attack PW's. The Gargoyle is really good defense as well which means my opponents attack other places. Etched Champion is great defense and PW attacker as well. I think I'll cut Mycosynth Golem but I felt like testing it. I haven't been drawing it much since I added it. I also like Batterskull and Wurmcoil Engine because they keep me alive for along time + they don't "die" to removal.
Other Artifacts: My deck is a multiplayer deck so I like Angelheart Vial. I don't use it very often but it defends me a whole lot because people attack other places. Mimic Vat is kind of great in multiplayer too. Null Brooch is maybe the best card because it's always value. This deck can easily lose to a non-creature N.Disk og A.Command and the hand is quite often empty anyways because of all the ramp.

Please tell me what you think.
-Patrick


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-02 1:11 am 

Joined: 2010-Dec-18 11:18 am
Age: Wyvern
I've made some changes to the deck today. They are as follows:

Out goes 10 lands: Deserted Temple, Ghost Quarter, High Market, Maze of Ith, Maze of Shadows, Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, Reliquary Tower, Scorched Ruins Unstable Frontier, Zoetic Caverns.
In goes 10 lands: Blasted Landscape, City of Traitors, Crystal Vein, Dread Statuary, Gemstone Caverns, Mutavault, Petrified Field, Quicksand, Strip Mine and Urza’s Factory

I took your advice. I think you're right when you say this deck has to be aggressive because our opponent will always end up drawing some massive artifact removal like Nevinyrral's Disk sooner or later and I prefer it to be later. For that reason I've cut Maze of Ith. Too often I've had it in hand or battlefield wishing it could produce mana instead of protecting me. Urza's Factory and Strip Mine are both amazing and I can't understand why I didn't include them earlier! City of Traitors is very strong too! Dread Statuary and Mutavault help attack Planeswalkers though Mutavault is the worst of the man-lands. Gemstone Caverns I don't expect to use with Luck counter that often but I do believe it will rush the game one or two turns sometimes. Blasted Landscape is in here for the late game where you wish to draw one of your bombs instead of lands. Scorched Ruins was too vulnerable.

Out goes 1 Creature: Mycosynth Golem.
Out goes 2 Other Artifact: Angelheart Vial and Mimic Vat.
In goes 1 Mana Artifact: Semblance Anvil.
In goes 2 Other Artifact: Bottled Cloister and Spine of Ish Sah.

Once again I took your advice. Out with the defensive Angelheart Vial and in with the Anvil. Whenever I draw it I hope to have a Creature Artifact in hand like Manor Gargoyle because of the dual effect. Otherwise I believe it will be good with both creatures like Pathraze of Ulamog and Artifacts. I imagine it being better than expected because it will not only rush the ramp and the General to battlefield but also stuff like Mind's Eye, Memory Jar and Bottled Cloister. I'm not quite sure how good Bottle is yet but I hope it'll work more in the angle of stopping Thoughtseize's and Mind Twist's than being hurt by Disenchants and Fracturing Gust. Mimic Vat didn’t do much since I can’t kill creatures and Spine of Ish Sah has great synergy with Phyrexia’s Core.

Let me know what you think.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-04 2:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-05 1:47 pm
Age: Wyvern
Kassow-Rossing wrote:
In my opinion it is a very strong deck. However it is vulnerable as you must also have felt. Hehe and I love your headline because it's just absolutely true!!! :) Unless Emrakul had been legal obv.


Thx :), yes it's very vurnerable.... Null Rod=Lose :x and the most unexpensive direct removal costs 7.. FUUUUUU

Kassow-Rossing wrote:
Okay I get the Unwinding Clock now. However I still don't understand how you get an additional turn after every opponent turn with Vedalken Orrery?


isn't an additional turn...but it's like! with vedalken orr. and all your mana rocks untapped by clock you can cast things you didn't your last turn maximizing mana advantage. It would be better having some draw engine (Mind's Eye #1 Imho) to have always something to do during op. turns.

Kassow-Rossing wrote:
You can't use Star Compas for colourless mana. It produces a mana after what basic land you have and since you don't have any basic lands: It can't be tapped for mana. Replacement? I don't know but check my list :D


from your list i would pick Coalition Relic for the ability to make 2mana on the same turn, but i'm tinkink about K. Ironworks, but i disagree with card disadvantage. otherwise (seeabove) another land is a good choice

Kassow-Rossing wrote:
Lands: I play one more land than you do. I felt like I needed it. That land is Zoetic Cavern.

... For that reason I've cut Maze of Ith. Too often I've had it in hand or battlefield wishing it could produce mana instead of protecting me. Urza's Factory and Strip Mine are both amazing and I can't understand why I didn't include them earlier! City of Traitors is very strong too! Dread Statuary and Mutavault help attack Planeswalkers though Mutavault is the worst of the man-lands. Gemstone Caverns I don't expect to use with Luck counter that often but I do believe it will rush the game one or two turns sometimes. Blasted Landscape is in here for the late game where you wish to draw one of your bombs instead of lands. Scorched Ruins was too vulnerable


i bounced from 39 to 40 to 38 to 37 in a month.. now with 25+3 manarocks i think is stable, however i think i can easily switch a rock (compass) for a land.
I like your vision of manlands manabase, i had problems with pw too i will adopt it.
Stripmine is banned in my playgroup (due to crucibile recursion) but it's the best land removal. Gemstone Caverns...mhh as i said previously i dont like card disadvantage in edh however it has a good illustration and in the rare case you play it on turn 0 i hope to have some crap to sacrifice in the name "of luck". Ruins...Ruins are debated card..very strong 1vs1 to fragile in multi..i play often 1vs1 so i countinue playing it.

However i suggest to conitnue to run many land destruction to avoid enemy's mazes or other nasty (for us ;D) lands.

Kassow-Rossing wrote:
Creatures: I've included a lot more creature threads because sometimes I had my Kozilek being countered by Spell Crumble og Hinder only to lose the game just like that. I always lose if my opponents has Artifact removal so I added some more Darksteel. I really like Juggernaut because it's huge and I often need a creature to attack PW's. The Gargoyle is really good defense as well which means my opponents attack other places. Etched Champion is great defense and PW attacker as well. I think I'll cut Mycosynth Golem but I felt like testing it. I haven't been drawing it much since I added it. I also like Batterskull and Wurmcoil Engine because they keep me alive for along time + they don't "die" to removal.


Differences from me and you are: Darksteel Juggernaut, Etched Champion, Millikin, Manor Gargoyle, Wurmcoil Engine + Batterskull. i like juggernaut a lot, it's in my side/wishboard in mid/lategame it's easily a 7/7 - 10/10 ind. for 5 mana. = huge. Champion good for PW, but the impact on board is very tiny compared to a t5 Kozi. Millkin,playing 1 ulamog to reshuffle graveyard isn't a good assurance for losing a (possibly good) card for 1 mana cc2 with summoning sickness. Manor Gargoyle good thech-card, smart replacement to juggernaut. i will try it. Wurmcoil... it's not good like it's in Legacy.. Batterskull is a +4/+4 lifelink cc5 ...with recursion, good but isn't so strong like eternal formats .. maybe attached to some titan (lifelink)
but it's always an unknown due to the lack of tutoring/manipulation in a 100x1 deck..
Despite my opinions on cardsi think that your deck (including manlands) is more aggro then mine. SO i have some questions :D.. having some intermediate creatures ( when i play all creatures over cc6 as general replacement if stolen - tucked) what kind of advantage brings to you? in your hopinion is better a faster general t5-6-7 or playing some creatures early turns and then the general t 8-9?


Kassow-Rossing wrote:
Other Artifacts: My deck is a multiplayer deck so I like Angelheart Vial. I don't use it very often but it defends me a whole lot because people attack other places. Mimic Vat is kind of great in multiplayer too. Null Brooch is maybe the best card because it's always value. This deck can easily lose to a non-creature N.Disk og A.Command and the hand is quite often empty anyways because of all the ramp.

Once again I took your advice. Out with the defensive Angelheart Vial and in with the Anvil. Whenever I draw it I hope to have a Creature Artifact in hand like Manor Gargoyle because of the dual effect. Otherwise I believe it will be good with both creatures like Pathraze of Ulamog and Artifacts. I imagine it being better than expected because it will not only rush the ramp and the General to battlefield but also stuff like Mind's Eye, Memory Jar and Bottled Cloister. I'm not quite sure how good Bottle is yet but I hope it'll work more in the angle of stopping Thoughtseize's and Mind Twist's than being hurt by Disenchants and Fracturing Gust. Mimic Vat didn’t do much since I can’t kill creatures and Spine of Ish Sah has great synergy with Phyrexia’s Core.


Thx for trusting :D.. i would say that agelheart would be an exelent all-round (lifegaining & draw) misc. artifact expecially in multiplayer with unwinding clock...but slightly uneffective in 1vs1 and without clock (much more likely due to the lack of manipulation/turoring).
Anvil it's a good choise. it's well supported by an heavyer artifact-creature shell you run, that could accelerate all the deck (general included,as you said) and decrease card disadvantage impact. Mind's eye & Forge are Must-in...i need to find some space..help:D.. Bottled Cloister it's a good card but we should see Pros & Cons inside deck environment..

1. Cloister+Kozi = pro&cos...switch hand distruption with artifact removal = good when you know what you're facing (1vs1 good sideboard against mono black) otherwise you risk a +4 ca (kozi) for a +1ca (cloister) next turn.. i would say no... what do you say? in-game situations?

2. Cloister+Null Brooch = pro... "free" counterspell on enemy's turn? good.

3. Cloister+Orrery = con... orrery advantage only for casting general... not so good (affects also unwinding clock)

Other misc. card evaluation

Null brooch+Koz. Losing the ca advantage -that's the reason (i think) to run kozi- to protect kozi from spell crumple or similar it's quite enough to not run Brooch IMHO.. i played it with Ulamog and it was good but a casual draw + huge card disadvantage makes me leave this card.

Winter Orb. i like prisioning but i never tested it. slows down op. and comboes with multiple mana lands... in play reports for this card?

Kassow-Rossing wrote:
Please tell me what you think.
-Patrick


Thx for writing so much

_________________
My EDH Deck(s)
Kozilek, Butcher of Colorless Generals
Ashiling The Pilgrim - Voltron + ToolBoxes
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre alias Call of Cthulhu
Renaissance - SenTriplets / Doomsday / Maniac Combo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: