Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-21 1:21 pm

Post subject: Intet, the Lucid Dreamer
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-03 10:54 am 

This is one of my first EDH lists. The deck is still fun after the years and can be overwhelmingly powerful. It has gone through many iterations before I have established the core. It is definitely on the casual side (ever since I have taken out all Wildfire card effects, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Time Warps and other griefer cards) and very Timmy-tastic. I absolutely love the colour combination, Intet's art and well... just about everything about the deck, except for the amount of searching / shuffling. This (and my general dislike for them) is the reason I left out the tutors: Worldly Tutor, Sylvan Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Personal Tutor, despite being "the nuts" with Intet.

Obviously, Intet is at her best when she plays expensive spells for mere 3 mana. While filling the deck with high CMC is tempting, it makes the deck incredibly clunky and completely reliant on general. I believe I have managed to balance the deck (after years! of playing it) to be able to both abuse Intet and still play all the cards without her help.

Here comes the list, with a bit of flavour.

Her majesty, Intet, the Dreamer

Intet's favourite places (37 total):

Forest x9
Mountain x3
Island x6

Tropical Island
Breeding Pool
Volcanic Island
Steam Vents
Taiga
Stomping Ground
Wooded Foothills
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn

Flooded Grove
Cascade Bluffs

Command Tower

Gruul Turf
Izzet Boilerworks
Simic Growth Chamber - all karoos are pretty good with the green titan, providing card-advantage.
Ancient Tomb - fast mana... this land is just good, no pain no gain.

Yavimaya Hollow - Whenever I play green, this is almost surely going in.
Winding Canyons - MVP, this land is amazing in this deck, as it has the mana to put it to use.
Vesuva - awesome land, have it in all decks as well. I enjoy copying enemy Bojuka Bogs mostly, then bouncing Vesuva, doing it all over again. Take that, gravediggers!

Building her home, where the dreams come true (16 total):

1 CMC
Sol Ring

2 CMC
Three Visits
Nature's Lore
Farseek
Rampant Growth
Explore
Sakura-Tribe Elder

At first I did not like the 1 spell = 1 land cards and thought they would be weak. After testing, they are not that bad, as there is a way of gaining card (landfall triggers) / quality advantage (shuffling the library) from them. More on that later.

3 CMC
Coalition Relic
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Darksteel Ingot

4 CMC
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss - good utility card, put these in because of my friend's Child of Alara to kill his sac-lands and it has stayed ever since.
Reap and Sow - more of the same, it puts ANY land into play. Love it.
Skyshroud Claim
Hunting Wilds
Explosive Vegetation

Lucid dreaming (7 total):
Brainstorm
Mirri's Guile
Sensei's Divining Top - this is the only deck (aside from my MBC) where I play this card... have cut it from all other decks, as I do not really enjoy playing with this card. With Intet, it is a whole lot of fun though :twisted: .
Sylvan Library
Scroll Rack - this is the best library manipulation card, bar none. Bonkers with Intet, great with bouncelands, library shuffling... well worth the price tag.
Dream Cache - fits the dreaming theme, improved brainstorm. What is not to like?
Crystal Ball - If I was to take out one card, this would be among the first. I don't know why, but it is kind of meh. I am never too happy to see it. I just can't point my finger on what is it that I do not like about this card... maybe it doesn't dig deep enough.

It is somewhat natural to want to fit these cards in with Intet as general. Another obvious synergy is the shuffle effects, allowing me to look for a particular card. Big bonus since I don't like playing tutors.
There is a deeper synergy though with the mana ramp as a concept // strategy. Mana ramp decks can sometimes get awkward draws. It is not always a T2 ramp into T3 ramp into T4 Primeval Titan into Avenger of Zendikar and shaking hands next turn. All ramp, no threats and visa-versa can be quite common, given there is higher variance in a 100 card deck. Library manipulation helps mitigate this, smoothing out the draws at the cost of tempo. And here comes the mana ramp part again - this deck is a huge tempo machine, so it can sacrifice a mana here and there to improve its draws.

Intet's most favourite dreams are of mother nature and her majestic creations (total 13):
Fierce Empath - ok, I said I hate tutors but this guy is just that good. Ok, Primeval Titan is THAT good... and this guy finds him.
Greater Good - this card is much greater than good, pun intended.
Garruk Wildspeaker - he should be in the mana ramp caregory, as in 80 % of cases, he just untaps the karoos. Then he overruns sometimes. Intet is not impressed with 3/3 beasts.
Thicket Elemental - this card is FUN. I run him out anytime I can, whenever I have the mana, whatever is on the top of my library. I just love the randomness. One of the most enjoyable cards in the deck.
Primal Command - uhh... damn another tutor. More often, it is used to get rid of some annoying permanent and someone's annoyingly useful graveyard.
Vigor - new addition to the team. It seems this fits the "stomp them underfoot" theme very well. Looking forward to playing Crater Hellion right after this dude hits the table.
Rampaging Baloths - talking of stomping to get done... this guy delivers. He always leaves something to work with behind, even when he eats a removal straight up.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa - Win condition and defensive creature in one package. Just too strong if you ask me. Douchey combo with Startstorm
Primeval Titan - one of the best green cards. Insane. He would be strong if he searched for any one land. But TWO?!?! This is the go-get card every time I am not looking for a particular answer to something.
Avenger of Zendikar - ends more games in my group than any other card. Seriously, it is getting a bit boring. Primeval Titan + this = Best friends forever.
Terastodon - more stomping! If I got a problem, I usually throw an elephant at it. Problem solved :) .
Woodfall Primus - When you are all out of elephants, trees will do the job too.
Tooth and Nail - Usually nail in the coffin. Or turning a nothing but lands board position into I win next turn. I have really tried hard to stay away from game-winning combos with this one!

Sometimes, Intet is blue... and needs to cheer up a bit. (10 total)
Rikku of Two Reflections - Little human friend of Intet, this guy with a mischievous look always cheers her up. They are quite the pair!
Sarkhan Vol - Garruk's friend, both admirers of majestic creatures and Intet.
Djinn of Wishes - Goofy friend of Intet's from her early whelphood days. They are both big dreamers.
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner - targetted removal is the suck. Eat that!
Lightning Greaves - ditto.
Cauldron of Souls - mass removal sucks too.
Body Double - Just when you thought you got rid of that big annoying guy...
Vesuvan Shapeshifter - Just when you thought you can deal with one...
Rite of Replication - many memorable plays have come out of this. I feel a bit guilty whenever I play this kicked. One of the strongest effects among all MtG cards!
Time Stretch - In the same vein as the card above. Sometimes, you just want the game to end, right? And no, I have no way of recurring this infinitely.

Intet's violent dreams... be prepared to get un-dreamed! (8 total)
Decimate - this usually raises some eye-brows. Too late to kill that lonely enchantment in response, you are still losing this artifact... and this creature... and this land. Hah!
Spin into Myth - Just good in EDH. Used to be a secret-tech. Still, not many people play this. Second-tier only to Swords to Plowshares / Path to Exile.
Phyrexian Ingester - Used to have Duplicant in here, but moved it to another deck. This is a good substitute.
Grab the Reins - that is a lovely Academy Rector you have there, can I take it for a moment? Nice big Kresh, the Bloodbraided you have there! This card always finds a fun use :) .
Comet Storm - the big bada-boom card of the deck. GG.
Starstorm - Better than other red's Wrath variants in this deck.
Wild Ricochet - best and funniest red card, bar none. I play this in every deck that can produce 2RR.
Crater Hellion - realising that I need a creature with sweeper attached sometimes, this was the pick.

Intet's nightmares (3 total):
Artisan of Kozilek
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

Honestly, I am glad people usually get rid of these as soon as I get them into play. The games where you just go ramp, ramp, ramp, Ulamog, GG are one of the most unexciting games I have played.

When the dreams are not coming... (5 total)
Vengeful Rebirth - regrowth with a built-in card advantage. Can hit quite hard with the amount of expensive spells.
Invoke the Firemind - love the versatility of this card. Usually I will draw cards. Sometimes I might take out an annoying player out of the game.
Mind Spring - when the hand is almost empty and lots of mana can be made, it is best to cook a Draw X spell. Except for Misdirection, no real reason I chose this spell over the other Draw X.
Recurring Insight - the most efficient draw spells there is. Someone always has his hand full. IMO one of the most underplayed cards.
Sphinx of Lost Truths - I will run this out anytime I suspect a sweeper is coming. If it dies, fine, it has drawn me cards. If not, it is a solid creature.

So, there she is. Intet can be a bit foolish, getting Briberyed with a silly trinket every now and then, regretting it later. She also does not enjoy getting woken-up every time she tries to dream of something, which happens more in multiplayer games where everybody is usually not mannered enough to let a lady dragon get a nap.

What do you guys think? :)

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Last edited by Hamjam on 2011-Sep-11 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Intet, the Lucid Dreamer
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-06 5:33 pm 

Love it! I had gone and built myself an Animar deck and a Riku deck when the commander sets came out. I just recently decided to collapse and reorganize them into an Intet deck. It's changed quite a bit since then, and is now mainly running three themes: free stuff/top of the deck matters, landfall, and mass polymorph. The landfall mechanic is awesome, and with scapeshift and valakut, I can murder a player on turn 8 or so as long as I smack them once with the dreamer.

I like your build, it's a little bit more utility and ramp focused then mine, but I'll post my list if you're interested...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 12:50 am 

Absolutely! Post away. Maybe we can make this into a little "Intet's hideout" thread, where we can put different decklists using this general. I am sure there are quite a few ways of building a deck around Intet.

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 12:46 pm 

I love to see Intet and Uril lists with Aggravated Assault + Bear Umbra combos. I think it would be a nice include. You don't really have a way to tutor the combo either so you'd have to draw it. Making it much less douche. Each piece helps Intet as well so it's not like either would be a dead draw by themselves.

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief(Changes constantly)
Ink-Treader Nephilim(Group allowed)
Maelstrom Wanderer

Building Process:
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius(Draw, Earthquakes, Fireballs)

Dismantled:
Uril, the Miststalker
Captain Sisay
Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-09 1:56 pm 

You asked for it, here is my current build. Like i said, it is very stream-lined. I have 3 themes: landfall, ramp, and keeping the top of the deck interesting, with two fun combos: a pseudo-token theme with mass polymorph and scapeshift with valakut and prismatic omen. The deck actually plays very well, is consistent, and scales well between 1v1 and multi-player, although 1v1 the shuffle effects get a bit annoying time-wise. I recently added Praetor's Counsel, and it is a bomb after a few board wipes, which are inevitable. This deck tends to "spill" very quickly, especially when Intet is online...

Intet, the Dreamer

Getting to REM state

Sol Ring
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Rampant Growth
Explore
Prismatic Omen
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Growth Spasm
Recross the Paths
Awakening Zone
Solemn Simulacrum
Mana Reflection
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger

Staying in REM state

Lightning Greaves
Guided Passage (ancestral recall for an additional GR!)
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Eternal Witness
Harmonize
Fact or Fiction
Summoning Trap

Lucid Dreaming

Sensei's Divining Top
Ponder
Mystical Tutor
Brainstorm
Scroll Rack
Sylvan Library
Temporal Aperture
Crystal Ball
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Bloodbraid Elf
Foresee
Oracle of Mul Daya
Djinn of Wishes
Galvanoth
Future Sight
Lurking Predators
Sphinx of Jwar Isle
Mind's Desire
Omen Machine
Garruk's Horde

Dreams of Landfall

Lotus Cobra
Khalni Heart Expedition
Crucible of Worlds
Harrow
Oracle of Mul Daya
Primeval Titan
Scapeshift
Roil Elemental
Rampaging Baloths
Avenger of Zendikar

My opponents nightmares

Rite of Replication
Time Warp
Frost Titan
Inferno Titan
Vigor
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Sphinx of Uthuun
Tidespout Tyrant
Stormtide Leviathan
Bogardan Hellkite
Terastodon
Praetor's Counsel
Time Stretch
Vicious Shadows

Land (not going to go into too much here, standard UGR, except for fetchlands and those listed):

Gaea's Cradle
Tolaria West
Halimar Depths
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (w/ Scapeshift and Prismatic Omen usually can kill a player)

Fetchlands (need more of these):

Scalding Tarn
Bloodstained Mire
Evolving Wilds
Verdant Catacombs
Arid Mesa

Last edited by KillerKeeb on 2011-Sep-17 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-09 3:45 pm 

Nice, somewhat non-standard take on Intet, my first and favorite general. My thoughts:

Why Explore? It's super weak. I don't care if it cantrips, and that says a lot coming from me, since I love cantrips (Winged Coatl, anyone?) Farseek is almost always going to be better in that case. If you say 'Landfall' then why not go whole hog and play Skyshroud Claim and Explosive Vegetation? Landfall once is nice, but twice is better. You could replace the bizzare Recross the Paths and nice-but-I-don't-get-why-it's-in-this-deck Awakening Zone.

I don't know if I like Omen Machine. It's symmetrical, and I hate symmetrical in EDH. Then again, I haven't played it, so maybe I am wrong about it.

Of course, it seems to be a nice goodstuff Intet deck, so it probably doesn't need any work. Good luck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-09 4:11 pm 

Explore is there for the rare time when I have a lotus cobra on the board and two fetch lands. Turn three looks like this: fetchland, 2 off the cobra pay for explore, fetchland, 2 more off the cobra, tap 4 lands: summon Intet. But I agree, skyshroud claim and explosive ARE better, but I'm playing them in my BUG control Damia deck and wanted to make this deck as different as possible.

Recross the Paths is usually bizarre, but I have a bunch of top deck manipulation, so it's relatively easy to get a high CMC card on top and keep getting it back. Awakening Zone is out of place, and I will probably cut it. Any suggestions?

Omen Machine is bonkers for two reasons: it shuts off draw, so if I have out intet or a top deck card like temporal aperture or future sight, I can keep playing cards while everyone else can't draw any. Evil, but fun!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-09 5:56 pm 

KillerKeeb wrote:
Awakening Zone is out of place, and I will probably cut it. Any suggestions?

Honestly, I'd rather just see some landgrab or something, but if you want to keep it, Proteus Staff might be for you. It's tuck that doubles as free random creature generation if you have tokens at your disposal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 1:35 am 

Nice list KillerKeeb! So many nice creatures to play in these colours... I almost feel cheated. It seems you can do so much more with your deck :shock: . And REM state - that made me giggle, good one :lol: .

I counted the cards in your list since it looked to me you have so much going on... are you playing 35 lands? How is that working for you?

I agree that there are better cards than Awakening Zone. Recently I took out Lightning Greaves (HEATHEN) for Fires of Yavimaya. I believe it is a strict upgrade, mainly with one-man-armies like Rampaging Baloth, Avenger of Zendikar. Same reason Sarkhan Vol went in.

I think I might be taking out the Eldrazi, I don't really enjoy playing with them anymore. They were the best when this was wildfire.dec, otherwise they are quite underwhelming and only screw up games. It might give me space for the Roil Elemental and Spearbreaker Behemoth I have wanted to put in for a while now. Or maybe I will put Consecrated Sphinx back in. Decisions, decisions... Also the Big Jace should go in here, since now he is in a deck that I am not playing anymore. Arghhhhhh. Too many options.

Some nice suggestions there, Magnetic North! I don't know how I missed Proteus Staff. Have wanted to play that somewhere for a while and it didn't occur to me to put it here.

Praetor's Counsel should probably go in for Vengeful Rebirth.

I believe Brutalizer Exarch should find a home here too. It does two very relevant things. With Intet / Omen Machine / Djinn of Wishes out, he is just Brutal 8) .

Omen Machine is pretty bonkers indeed. Maybe too much. I should give it a try though. My friends will hate me for it, that much I know :) .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 1:38 am 

Also, I recommend playing Cauldron of Souls. Discovered it thanks to Bennie Smith articles on SCG. Ok, I admit I cram it in every deck that plays creatures now. But it is SO GOOD.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 8:55 am 

Thank you! I wanted to really go full force with my themes, hence some questionable cards (i.e. Explore, as discussed above) to keep it on theme.

1. I am playing 35 lands, and it is a non-issue. Mainly because I'm running 18 mana-ramp/fixers and crucible of worlds with a fetchland is guaranteed lands every turn. Speaking of fetchlands, you should run more. They are game breakers when you need a good top deck w/Intet. Very crucial to the decks consistency, I want a few more myself.

2. Put Greaves back in if you want Intet to survive ;) I know they are in every deck, but this one really needs them. Intet general damage is a very real win-con, and keeping him alive to hit other people makes the deck consistent. I've considered swiftfoot boots, but they are a bad top deck if you're tapped out.

3. Omen machine is awesome. Politically it's interesting: some people whine about it, others think it's hilarious. It usually doesn't last long, but this deck breaks the symmetry with all the top deck manipulation. Omen machine, Mind's Desire, Djinn of Wishes, Garruk's Horde, Oracle of Mul Daya, Lurking Predators, Bloodbraid Elf and Future Sight are all backup "Intet effects" and really help maintain the decks play style of cheating things into play for free.

4. Praetor's counsel is a beast. Actually, people react more negatively to it than Omen Machine. When your opponents are spending all game wiping creature after creature, and then you cast this, they get pissed. It's a must and really saves this deck from the negative card advantage of board wipes.

5. I've had really good and really bad experiences with cauldron of souls. Sometimes it's a dud, but it could be really good (and annoying) in this deck...

6. I agree, Eldrazi don't really fit the deck (especially Kozilek). Notice I have hardly any card draw. The reason is that it is not helping in this deck because the top of your deck is the most important part of your "hand". I'd say stay away from Sphinx, and definitely put in at least Spearbreaker, he's Intet's best friend. Roil Elemental is really weak (3/2! In EDH!???) but when he's out and you hit a Scapeshift with Mass Polymorph in hand, things get AWESOME.

7. I think Brutalizer is excellent in this deck. Do you have suggestions for cuts? I'm thinking awakening zone...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 11:40 am 

Whoops. Hamjam, I just realized that you and KillerKeeb are not the same person. :oops:

So, that makes what my first question was going to be actually relevant: How are you playing Profane Command in an Intet EDH Deck? Do you mean Primal Command?

Seconding the fact that Roil Elemental is nuts. If you're doing landfall in blue, he is a must. The UUU in his cost can be a problem (which is why I currently don't run him in anything, but I understand he's crazy.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 1:26 pm 

@ Magentic North: Right you are! Both about Profane Command actually being Primal Command and me and KillerKeeb being two different persons :) .

@ KillerKeeb: I know Lightning Greaves is a good card, but in all honesty, the greaves get blown up one time, another time people seem to have an instant removal for the creature. All in all, they don't help me much at all with keeping Intet alive and kicking. Actually, I believe Kira has done much better job at protecting my general. This is another try to lessen my reliance on general. Now she is just another threat, among many others. Last but not least, greaves are even less relevant with my other creatures, now that I am taking out the eldrazi guys (might keep Ulamog in as another out to Humility).

I will try Roil Elemental though. Next addition would be Jace, TMS and Brutalizer Exarch, if I can find cards to cut for them. You could cut the Awakening Zone, as that card is good on paper, but it gets weaker in multiplayer format. Personally, I have never found it relevant in any of the games.

One recommendation - Winding Canyons. If any deck can abuse this awesome land, it is this one. It gives your creatures pseudo-haste, surprises people in combat, etc. Awesome! ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-15 6:14 pm 

So my buddy ran this deck through a few rounds tonight, and it's kind of bonkers. First game he cast a lotus cobra and scape shift, sac'd 6 lands, and then mind's desired for 3. It was insane. In a later game he scape shifted with a roil elemental out and took everyone's stuff, then dropped Kira. @_@

It's a really fun deck to watch, but the shuffling is slow at some points. I really like it anyway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-21 2:13 am 

Good going there :o). This kind of deck gets some really explosive starts every now and then. Most of them start with having 6 mana on turn 3 or 7 mana on turn 4 for me... then casting Intet or Primeval Titan.

Some recent changes, just to try something different:
- Recurring Insight
- Mind Spring
- Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
- Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
- Dream Cache
- Brainstorm
- Sphinx of Lost Truths
- Vengeful Rebirth
- Comet Storm

I have basically cut some card draw and one-time top of the library manipulation and cards that I do not enjoy playing anymore.

+ Lightning Greaves
+ Omen Machine
+ Jace, the Mind Sculptor
+ Soothsaying
+ Kederekt Leviathan
+ Sphinx of Uthuun
+ Spearbreaker Behemoth
+ Praetor's Counsel
+ Brutalizer Exarch

Having upped the permanents count with the latest change, I am now thinking about incorporating Genesis Wave, purely for the fun of it. Of course the deck does not need it, it already has enough HUGE spells. Not sure what to cut for it though...

Offline Profile