Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-17 1:01 am

Post subject: Karrthus, King of Dragons
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-31 5:39 pm 

EDIT: Deck is retired, but I'm keeping the list up because it was a lot of fun. I just needed too many of the cards to try out a few new deck ideas.

I was messing around with a Kaalia list and realized that green offers so much better support for searching up fat dragons and cheating them into play, instead of little miss "you're lucky if I ever get to attack."

Most Karrthus lists I've seen have been kind of light on the dragons and more focused on a rock-style deck that just uses the big dude as a hasty finisher. I suppose I could just go with Scion instead (I have yet to tackle a 5-color list), but this seems like so much more fun in the long run. Plus, I worry about having to stray too far away from awesome dragons in order to put fixing in the deck.

I've tried to keep the deck focused on dragons with just a few guys that are good for utility and mana ramping. I'm very open to suggestions on if certain big guys can come out. This deck is for a pretty semi-casual group that can still do broken things.

The list:

COMMANDER
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

BROODMATES
Anger
Bladewing the Risen
Bladewing's Thrall
Bogardan Hellkite
Broodmate Dragon
Changeling Berserker
Dragon Broodmother
Dragon Tyrant
Dragonmaster Outcast
Dragonspeaker Shaman
Eternal Witness
Fauna Shaman
Fierce Empath
Genesis
Hellkite Charger
Hellkite Overlord
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Kilnmouth Dragon
Knollspine Dragon
Oracle of Mul Daya
Primeval Titan
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Steel Hellkite
Terastodon
Withered Wretch
Wood Elves
Yavimaya Elder
Zirilan of the Claw

INSTANT GRATIFICATION
Beast Within
Momentous Fall
Terminate
Worldly Tutor

STUFF TO DO ON MY TURN
Beacon of Unrest
Cultivate
Damnation
Decree of Pain
Demonic Tutor
Harmonize
Kodama's Reach
Living Death
Patriarch's Bidding
Skyshroud Claim
Tooth and Nail

MAKING MY MARK ON THE WORLD
Defense of the Heart
Greater Good
Lurking Predators
Pernicious Deed
Phyrexian Arena
Survival of the Fittest
Sylvan Library

DRAGON LOVERS
Garruk Wildspeaker
Sarkhan the Mad
Sarkhan Vol

TREASURE
Darksteel Ingot
Lightning Greaves
Mana Vault
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Worn Powerstone

KARRTHUS' DOMAIN
Badlands
Bayou
Blood Crypt
Bloodstained Mire
Bojuka Bog
Command Tower
Dragonskull Summit
Fire-Lit Thicket
Golgari Rot Farm
Graven Cairns
Gruul Turf
High Market
Mosswort Bridge
Overgrown Tomb
Rakdos Carnarium
Rootbound Crag
Savage Lands
Stomping Grounds
Strip Mine
Taiga
Twilight Mire
Verdant Catacombs
Volrath's Stronghold
Winding Canyons
Wooded Foothills
Yavimaya Hollow
Forest - 4
Mountain - 4
Swamp - 2

What I'm looking for:
-Dragons I may have missed that are just awesome. There are a few I left out and know they are not here, simply because I don't like them. Malfegor seems cool in theory, but I don't like the idea of dumping my hand. Thunder Dragon is cool...but he kills a lot of my support creatures as well.
-Killer spells that are worth having for this type of deck. I would like to have a place for Sneak Attack, if I ever manage to pick one up.

Please note, if you think I should cut a dragon...please replace it with a dragon and explain why it's a better choice.

Last edited by iccarus on 2012-Sep-18 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karrthus, King of Dragons
AgePosted: 2011-Aug-31 7:12 pm 

I agree that Karrthus make a far more solid deck than Kaalia, which makes it more fun to play. There's a decklist in my sig, if you'd like to see. Some of it won't tranfer well, but here's some stuff that will:

Bladewing's Thrall would make a good addition as general fodder, and more specifically for broodmother and greater good. As the broodmother's token enters, sac it. When the token actually enters, get it back. With greater good, all your dragon have "when [this] enters the battlefield, draw three cards, then discard three cards." With both broodmother and greater good, you could ignore devour, and just draw/discard three every upkeep.

I think Knollspine Dragon would do a better job for you than dragon mage. Knollspine itself doesn't have to be the one to hit them, or even have to attack. You can have instant draw with zirilan, kiki-jiki, or the sneak attack you're looking for after somebody else attacks. Or after you use kilnmouth's ability. It's draw only affects you and can get you more than seven cards.

I also think that Changeling Berserker would do a better job than taurean mauler. Mauler is just beef and your and with your current list, you can't make it anything more. Berserker can champion eight of your dudes (nine, if you like knollspine) to reuse EtB effects, particularly bladewing. Champion bladewing, sac berserker, get bladewing back, rez berserker, repeat. Be careful, though. This little combo is why I can't have both mass rez and greater good in my karrthus deck. It would just turn into a race to get a greater good draw engine going, then draw/discard into a mass rez win. With bladewing, it's more counters for the broodmother's tokens. With kiki-jiki (or zirilan as a one-shot), you have Liberate on a stick, which is very nice for those eight or nine EtB dudes.

Mana-Charged Dragon is really nice, but none of your dragons are bad enough to suggest taking out without knowing how your deck plays.

Blades of Velis Vel is nice for karrthus. +4/+0 for two mana, make more creatures compatible with sarkhan the mad and bladewing, and maybe even benefit from someone else's tribal boosts.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-31 7:20 pm 

I would cut Squee, Gobllin Nabob, who is frankly miserable, and replace him with Genesis. Squee makes Survival slightly better, but it's good enough on its own, and drawing Squee by himself is terribly embarassing. Genesis is slightly less efficient with Survival, but he's fantastic in this type of deck when drawn. If you feel like you need the endless stream of guys, I'd make room for a Stampeding Wildebeests or Stampeding Serrow (to recur Eternal Witness and/or Wood Elves) before I added Squee. It might be different if you added Vampiric Tutor and Imperial Seal and legitimately intended to find Survival every game, but it doesn't seem like that's your plan here.

The following things are not necessarily good, but if I were going to deliberately make a suboptimal deck just to push a theme, I'd have a hard time not including Dragon's Herald, Spirit of the Night and the Urborg Panther family, plus Shivan Dragon (you can get a beautiful CE one for under $3 on Bidwicket).

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-31 9:20 pm 

Excellent advice guys. Thank you so much. A few notes before I edit changes:
-Worldly Tutor will be a Vamp Tutor when I dig up another one. I don't have a spare right now to put in here, but it's on my list of cards to get.
-I missed the ETB trigger on Bladewing's Thrall on first pass when looking at gatherer. For some reason I just though it was when a dragon is cast. That will be going in for sure.
-I'll try out Genesis over Squee. My main concern was just how mana hungry he can be when the cmc is so high. It's probably just worth it to have him anyway.
-Knollspine was on the maybe list. And Berserker totally slipped my mind.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-01 4:44 am 

Where is Palladia-Mors?

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-01 5:29 am 

gzeiger wrote:
Where is Palladia-Mors?

I assume you mean Vaevictis Asmadi :wink:

While I'm a fan of flavor and sticking primarily to a theme, I still want to run good cards.

Also, he looks like a sock puppet with fins.

Offline Profile