Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 6:10 am

Post subject: Damia, Sage of Stone - Legendary Edition
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-05 12:47 pm 

This deck came about as a design to show what I felt a "real" EDH deck is. Basically, I wanted to play big spells and legendary creatures while gobbling down candy like the fat child I am during other people's turns. Ob Nixilis is the all-star of this deck doing the most redic things possible with Greater Good, Big Garruk, Momentus Fall, Sygg, and Azusa.

Damia, Sage of Stone

Legends

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Sakashima the Imposter
Glissa, the Traitor
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
The Mimeoplasm
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Sapling of Colfenor
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger

Utility Guys

Coiling Oracle
Grave Titan
Mulldrifter
Oracle of Mul Daya
Scavenging Ooze
Primeval Titan
Genesis
Massacre Wurm
Snapcaster Mage
Fauna Shaman
Rune-scarred Demon
Solemn Simulacrum
Phyrexian Metamorph
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Eternal Witness

Instants

Krosan Grip
Vampiric Tutor
Suffer the Past
Forbidden Alchemy
Chord of Calling
Goryo's Vengeance
Worldly Tutor
Momentous Fall

Sorceries

Explosive Vegetation
Tooth and Nail
Primal Command
Rise from the Grave
Demonic Tutor
All Suns' Dawn
Reanimate
Cultivate
Victimize
Kodama's Reach
Damnation
Footsteps of the Goryo
Time of Need

Enchantments

Necromancy
Pernicious Deed
Necrogenesis
Defense of the Heart
Greater Good
Animate Dead
Survival of the Fittest

Artifacts

Birthing Pod
Sol Ring
Golgari Signet
Simic Signet

Planeswalkers

Garruk, Primal Hunter
Garruk Relentless

Non Basic Lands

Verdant Catacombs
Misty Rainforest
Bant Panorama
Esper Panorama
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Simic Growth Chamber
Golgari Rot Farm
Dimir Aqueduct
Overgrown Tomb
Breeding Pool
Homeward Path
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Drowned Catacomb
Darkslick Shores
Volrath's Stronghold
Creeping Tar Pit
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Command Tower
Bazaar of Baghdad

[b]Basics[/b]

4x Island
5x Swamp
6x Forest

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Stone - Legendary Edition
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-05 7:37 pm 

Replace Footsteps of the Goryo with Zombify, one mana more and you get the creature. For two mana more you can get Beacon of Unrest.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-06 8:26 am 

Footsteps is mostly an Arcane Spell so I can abuse Goryo's Vengeance. Often times having it for one turn is all I am looking to do anyways since I will end up saccing it to greater good or something.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-06 9:22 am 

Sorry for the sidetrack, but I'm always surprised when I see Damia decklists that look like relatively normal decks. I have a Damia deck that has a TON of very low CMC cards, and only maybe 6 with a CMC of 5 or more. I assumed my deck design was pretty much the norm for a Damia deck, but I haven't played against other Damia decks, and the decklists I see here are not the same either.

Is my build (low CMC) unique/not the norm?

Since our builds are very different, I don't have much to add, other than Diviner's Wand is a powerhouse in my deck. Depending on how much you're actually drawing with Damia each turn, it may not be worth the slot in your deck.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-06 9:25 am 

Diviner's Wand is a great suggestion! Basically, I choose to play large things simply from a style standpoint. Where I abuse the general is bazaar and greater good. Often I sac a small creature to Greater good and discard down to where I can get maximum draw from Damia. Since I am playing a lot of reanimation this is also how I get my discard outlet.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-06 4:47 pm 

I think it's a normal tendency to build Damia with the same expensive spells you use in other decks, with some discard thrown in. I know mine started out that way, but it's gotten more synergistic with time, with lots of cheap removal spells and creatures to hold down the fort.

I haven't tried Diviner's Wand and I'm curious about your experience with it. As the card advantage is so massive, I usually don't send Damia into the red zone. Do you use the "4: Draw a card" a lot?

I find Psychosis Crawler much better, as it damages all opponents, and doesn't require sending your 7 CMC Commander into harm's way.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-06 5:04 pm 

I don't think anyone has quite found the "Damia" build that works best yet, but my build is similar to Shives, with less legends and more utility / beats / Crush of Wurms thrown in.

But otherwise, if his deck plays like mine, it will be a fun deck to play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-07 2:15 am 

Damia is so well designed that you can put her together with about anything and she will hold the deck together.

I have also come to a conclusion that she works really well with cheap spells that impact the board / game somehow. My Damia deck is also full of low CMC cards (mainly answers to various threats - counterspells, bounce, destroy effects, a few wraths / disk / o'stone - deck has very low permanents count), sprinkled with some win conditions and ways to get Damia into play at instant speed. The deck has proven to be so strong that I rarely play it now... I only pull it out when there is someone with a hard to deal with deck, basically acting as a police keeping away junkies from the kids' playground :lol: .

But I imagine building a regular goodstuff deck around her works just as well. After all, oponents will have to deal with all the quality, depleting their resources... after which you drop Damia, reload and keep going strong. The card has enough raw power to throw the synergy out the window.

I was tempted to build a manadenial deck around her (black and green LD + blue bounce), I think she would fit that archetype very well for 1v1 games.

My friend has built a really douchey turboland / timewalk deck around her, it worked disgustingly well.

Last but not least, I might put her in a deck with some really janky cards that I just love to play with. I am sure the deck will work somehow (so long as the cards in the deck do something) and even if I do not win, I will have a blast playing it.

Now to not end up completely off-topic, I am going to state the most common suggestion with Damia:
Forbid? It is a discard outlet for your reanimation, it can conserve the game long enough for you to win.

Other suggestions:
Bound / Determined - have you considered this card? I haven't played it for a long time but I remember playing it and pulling its weight quite nicely.
Betrayal of Flesh / Makeshift Mannequin / Dimir Doppelganger - these cards have proven their weight in my deck, mainly getting Damia back into play at EOT before my turn. Instant speed reanimation is simply powerful :twisted: .

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-07 7:11 am 

Malekoda wrote:
I haven't tried Diviner's Wand and I'm curious about your experience with it. As the card advantage is so massive, I usually don't send Damia into the red zone. Do you use the "4: Draw a card" a lot?

I find Psychosis Crawler much better, as it damages all opponents, and doesn't require sending your 7 CMC Commander into harm's way.

Since I have so many low CMC cards, and a lot of ramp, I'm typically able to draw 4+ cards each upkeep with Damia. As a result, she's a flying 8/8+ beater. I don't usually use the 4:draw function. It is a little scary sending her into battle, but I do a fair amount of the time. With all of my low CMC removal, and protection cards that give her hexproof or some other level of unblockability (don't have my decklist handy to remember the cards), I've done well throwing her into the thick of things.

You're right that Forbid is great. I also use Demonic Collusion, which is one of the few 5 or more CMC cards in the deck. I also have Stronghold Machinist which has been ok, though I could consider Stronghold Biologist too, but noncreature spells are the scariest for my deck.

Hamjam wrote:
Dimir Doppelganger - these cards have proven their weight in my deck, mainly getting Damia back into play at EOT before my turn. Instant speed reanimation is simply powerful :twisted: .

Interesting - so you allow Damia to hit the GY to use this? I'm going to have to add this to my deck.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-07 7:34 am 

Regarding counterspells, I've gradually removed mine as Damia doesn't like the whole "keeping mana open and cards in hand" style. Last week, even Forbid went out, not because it isn't wicked powerful in Damia (it is!), but because I didn't like how it turned the game into Archenemy. Right now, my only counter-magic comes from Glen Elendra Archmage, which has more synergy with Damia than your average counterspell.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-07 7:39 am 

I use Leyline of Anticipation to try to get more flexibility out of spending mana in my Damia deck.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-08 12:27 am 

shmebula wrote:
I also have Stronghold Machinist which has been ok, though I could consider Stronghold Biologist too, but noncreature spells are the scariest for my deck.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the various spellshapers, they work very well with Damia. I also play a few in my deck, namely: Dawnstrider, Waterfront Bouncer and Undertaker.

shmebula wrote:
Hamjam wrote:
Dimir Doppelganger - these cards have proven their weight in my deck, mainly getting Damia back into play at EOT before my turn. Instant speed reanimation is simply powerful :twisted: .

Interesting - so you allow Damia to hit the GY to use this? I'm going to have to add this to my deck.

I can't recommend it enough, it is deceptively powerful :) .

shmebula wrote:
I use Leyline of Anticipation to try to get more flexibility out of spending mana in my Damia deck.

This is a card my playgroup has learned to fear. It is funny, since it is basically a card disadvantage, the card does "nothing" on its own. I think they laughed at it the first time. Yet the strategic superiority you get with it is so huge... And once you drop Damia at EOT... well, I have yet to lose a game when I do that.

Intet, the Dreamer RUG Manaramp a.k.a. the Lucid Dreamer

Tariel, Reckoner of Souls RWB Sneaky Blinks a.k.a. oops, I accidentally put an infinite combo in my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-08 5:50 am 

I recently picked up Dimir Doppelganger, Nostalgic Dreams, and Insidious Dreams for my Damia deck. I'm interested to see how they work out.

What do you guys think about Asceticism in the deck? I don't think I could cut it since it protects Damia so well.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-08 8:04 am 

How do people feel about Heartless Summoning in this deck? Obviously, I'd have to cut Endrek Sahr but he is only really good with an Edric, Spymaster of Trest in play anyways.

Offline Profile