Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 5:45 am

Post subject: Vicious Arbiter: Vish Kal removal/reanimation deck
AgePosted: 2011-Nov-05 9:31 pm 

Introduction

Well, I've decided to give the lovely Mayael a break and instead work on something a little darker. The basic premise is to use Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter as a free sac outlet, packing the deck full of reusable reanimation effects and creatures that like to be repeatedly sacrificed.

The deck

General (1)
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter

Extra sac outlets (4)
Ashnod's Altar
Attrition
Fanatical Devotion
Martyr's Cause

Sac fuel (4)
Blade Splicer*
Bloodghast#
Luminarch Ascension
Reassembling Skeleton*

Reanimation (11)
Angelic Renewal
Corpse Dance
Dawn of the Dead
Debtors' Knell
Doomed Necromancer#
Nim Deathmantle
Reveillark
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker#
Sun Titan
Unburial Rites

Grave Pacts (3)
Butcher of Malakir
Grave Pact
Martyr's Bond

Draw (4)
Phyrexian Arena
Skullclamp
Well of Lost Dreams
Wall of Omens*

Ramp (5)
Coldsteel Heart
Darksteel Ingot
Orzhov Signet
Solemn Simulacrum#
Wayfarer's Bauble

Equipment (3)
Blade of the Bloodchief
Lightning Greaves
Whispersilk Cloak

Sweepers (5)
Akroma's Vengeance
Austere Command
Living Death
Oblivion Stone
Sunblast Angel

Removal (10)
Aura of Silence
Death Grasp
Horobi, Death's Wail
Return to Dust
Archon of Justice
Bone Shredder*
Duplicant#
Fiend Hunter*
Mangara of Corondor*
Necrotic Sliver#

Tutors (5)
Beseech the Queen
Diabolic Tutor
Netherborn Phalanx#
Rune-Scarred Demon
Shred Memory

Good stuff (7)
Corpse Connoisseur
Expedition Map
Exsanguinate
Identity Crisis
Mimic Vat
Sorin Markov
Stonecloaker

Land (38)
Barren Moor
Bojuka Bog
Drifting Meadow
Eiganjo Castle
Esper Panorama
Evolving Wilds
Forbidding Watchtower
Ghost Quarter
Mirrodin's Core
Mistveil Plains
Orzhov Basilica
9x Plains
Polluted Mire
Secluded Steppe
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Spawning Pool
10x Swamp
Tainted Field
Terramorphic Expanse
Vivid Marsh
Vivid Meadow

* Friend of Shirei and Reveillark
# Friend of Reveillark

Interesting interactions

Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
  • With Blade of the Bloodchief: Sacrifice one creature to kill as many */1s and */2s as you want. Also just makes Vish Kal really big.
  • With Horobi, Death's Wail: Destroy as many targetable creatures as you want, acting like a reusable Plague Wind under ideal conditions.
  • With Well of Lost Dreams: Vish Kal should be gaining you at least 5 life each time he connects, so the Well should keep your hand full.

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker
  • With Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter: Make your guys Shirei-able by giving them -X/-X. Especially good candidates for this treatment are 2-power creatures such as Solemn Simulacrum and Netherborn Phalanx (you can give these -1/-1 and sac them to Vish Kal every turn).
  • With any 0/* or 1/*: There are a few creatures with 1 power or less, see asterisks in deck list.

Sun Titan

Martyr's Bond

Reveillark

Conclusion

Please note that I am on a budget, so any card that's over $5 needs to really pull its weight to be included and pretty much anything above $10 is out of the question. Cards like Marsh Flats and Karmic Guide are currently absent purely because of their cost.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and remember that all non-trolling comments are welcome.

The full cutting-edge deck list (including a maybeboard) is available here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vicious-arbiter/

Last edited by dismal_denizen on 2011-Nov-06 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vicious Arbiter: Vish Kal removal/reanimation deck
AgePosted: 2011-Nov-06 2:42 am 

I mainly want to mention that Matyr's Bond says "nonland permanent", but also that Archon of Justice is really good if you are able to sac and reanimate it multiple times.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-06 8:04 am 

Phyrexian Reclamation - Cheap way to return creatures to your hand from the graveyard.
Nether Traitor - Almost as awesome as Reassembling Skeleton.
Phyrexian Processor - Makes huge dudes to sac to Vish.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-06 8:53 am 

Yosei, the Morning Star is sad he's not invited to the party :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-06 10:31 am 

First off, I want to say that all three posters above me have really good suggestions. Archon, Yosei and Phyrexian Relcamation are all very good.

Second, I'm digging the Angelic Renewal / Sun Titan interaction. I will be stealing that for my Ghost Council deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-06 12:51 pm 

Thanks for the replies :D

@Trigunner
Good pickup on the Martyr's Bond fail, I have changed the interactions list appropriately. I agree that Archon of Justice is really good, I don't think he will be dropped from the list any time soon.

@Wayne Viktorius
Phyrexian Reclamation is interesting. On the one hand it provides excellent repeatable creature recursion for a low cost, but on the other I can see it being a little unwieldy in combination with my big 6 and 7 mana guys. Nether Traitor is pretty good, I'll keep it in mind for if I find the deck is lacking in sac fodder (I haven't really done a whole lot of testing yet). I actually have a Phyrexian Processor lying around somewhere, and it does intrigue me. I suppose the idea is to drop it and activate it for 8 mana total, while Vish is ready to attack, so that the life hit is inconsequential? Seems nice.

@Fektoer
Yosei, the Morning Star sure is tasty, but stretching the limits of my single-card budget atm. I shall keep my eye out for a good opportunity to pick him up because it looks like he can make for an excellent win condition.

@thaumaturge
Steal away! I also just noticed that Fiend Hunter has a similar interaction with Sun Titan and added it to the interactions list. It's an infinite combo in standard too :shock:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-07 7:52 am 

dismal_denizen wrote:
I also just noticed that Fiend Hunter has a similar interaction with Sun Titan and added it to the interactions list.

Sacrificing Fiend Hunter with the exile trigger on the stack is a pretty good idea if you aren't that hung up about your friends ever speaking to you again. :wink:

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-07 3:30 pm 

Quote:
Sacrificing Fiend Hunter with the exile trigger on the stack is a pretty good idea if you aren't that hung up about your friends ever speaking to you again. :wink:

Yes, that is a nice trick - probably worth losing friends over :D
Things get really gross when Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker or some other repeatable reanimation is around.

It's also worth noting that Mangara of Corondor has a similar trick. Sacrifice it with the ability on the stack to keep him safely in your graveyard whilst exiling another permanent.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-08 1:30 pm 

OK folks, I need your help on deciding whether Suture Priest should be thrown into the mix. Here are some pros and cons I've thought of:

Pros

Cons
  • Might provoke other players (though I am bent on killing their stuff anyway, so I guess that will probably happen regardless)
  • Has no real benefit from being repeatedly reanimated
  • It's a 1/1 for 2

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-08 1:56 pm 

dismal_denizen wrote:
OK folks, I need your help on deciding whether Suture Priest should be thrown into the mix. Here are some pros and cons I've thought of:

Pros

Cons
  • Might provoke other players (though I am bent on killing their stuff anyway, so I guess that will probably happen regardless)
  • Has no real benefit from being repeatedly reanimated
  • It's a 1/1 for 2

Seems very strong. I'd put it in.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-08 3:59 pm 

dismal_denizen wrote:
OK folks, I need your help on deciding whether Suture Priest should be thrown into the mix.

Soul sisters (Soul Warden and Soul's Attendant) give you the lifegain ability for one mana and don't carry a target on their heads.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-08 4:08 pm 

Quote:
Soul sisters (Soul Warden and Soul's Attendant) give you the lifegain ability for one mana and don't carry a target on their heads.

This is true. However, I think if I just "forget" to use Suture Priest's life losing ability until a tonne of creatures are dumped at once (with Genesis Wave, Warp World or even just Hornet Queen) I could keep the option open without painting a target. I'm not sure how well this would work in practice, but if it does the extra 1 colourless mana is well worth it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-09 1:15 am 

dismal_denizen wrote:
@Trigunner
Good pickup on the Martyr's Bond fail, I have changed the interactions list appropriately. I agree that Archon of Justice is really good, I don't think he will be dropped from the list any time soon.

I somehow missed that Archon is already in your list, I thought it was not in the deck, lol.

But you are missing Puppeteer Clique, that card is just so amazing. One of the best black Commander cards I'd say, really worth it.

Fleshbag Marauder could also be a good inclusion. It's a recurring mini sweeper. It can annoy opponents to death.

Minion Reflector is another card I am also playing in my Karador deck (all about abusing etb-effects by reanimation). I have so many etb-effects in that deck, it interacts with almost any other card in my deck.

Emeria Angel is another card that makes a really good draw engine if combined with skullclamp, just like Bloodghast does.

Kor Cartographer could replace Coldsteel Heart or Wayfarer's Bauble in your list, if you want to have a creature based ramp, just because of the possibillity that you could reanimate it. Recurring ramp spells are good. :)
Also Weathered Wayfarer could replace Expedition Map if you want to have that effect on a creature.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-09 5:13 am 

Considering that you are limited in what you can get for your deck, that does look like a very decent list. I've got some suggestions for your deck that aren't too expensive to get to help you boost it some.

Pilgrim's Eye and Kor Cartographer are good and cheap creature based ramp for your deck.

Flickerwisp has so many possibilities and combos well with Sun Titan.

Falkenrath Noble and Sangromancer both reward you for every dead creature - and if your opponents (or you!) sweep a full board with one or both of them present the lifegain just might put you out of reach of any non-general damage they can come up with.

Bloodgift Demon, Graveborn Muse and Mind's Eye are three incredible card draw engines - and all of them are dirt cheap to get too.

Demonic Tutor is simply the best tutor of all times.

Puppeteer Clique might be The-Best-Black-Creature-In-EDH.

Fleshbag Marauder is insane with Sun Titan and any Grave Pact-type effect.

I'm a big fan of plain old Greed. - intrepid
Greed is for pussies. Phyrexian Reclamation + Street Wraith -- twice the cost, four times the manliness. - Filth

Member of Project Every-Deck
Current EDH Decks
Mayael the Anima // Garza Sol, Plague Queen // Scion of the Ur-Dragon // Kresh the Bloodbraided // Rikku of Two Reflections // Kaalia of the Vast // Rafiq of the Many // Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-09 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Considering that you are limited in what you can get for your deck, that does look like a very decent list.

Why thank you good sir.

Pilgrim's Eye: It's been floating in and out of the list. Being a 1/1 for 3 with an ETB ability does make it perfect for the deck, but I wish it would put the land into play. The problem is that I need to find a spot for it in the list, though I do want to squeeze him back in. See the side note at the bottom of this post.

Kor Cartographer: So close to being awesome. If only it cost one less mana and had one less power! As it is, a 4 mana Rampant Growth which can't fix colour probably isn't good enough.

Flickerwisp: I am a HUGE fan of blink effects. Unfortunately Flickerwisp's return is not instantaneous, so can't be fully abused with Sun Titan. I do drool a bit thinking about that with a Rune-Scarred Demon around though.

Falkenrath Noble: Now this is a guy I can get behind! In fact, I think I may just go ahead and use him in the place of the planned Suture Priest. I can't believe I forgot about that guy, he just means I win with either infinite sac combo and has excellent synergy with the deck. I think I can even forgive his 2 power and 4 CMC!

Sangromancer: I'd prefer to benefit when my creatures die.

Bloodgift Demon, Graveborn Muse and Mind's Eye: These all seem like decent options, but Mind's Eye is something like $6. To be honest though, I'd rather use Greed instead if I need more card draw.

Demonic Tutor: Definitely better than my Beseech the Queen and Diabolic Tutor, but also definitely more expensive. I'd love to run Demonic Tutor and Diabolic Intent in their places.

Puppeteer Clique: I don't know about "The-Best-Black-Creature-In-EDH", but he is certainly excellent. He also gets a lot better with sac outlets and reanimation flying around... I want to try him.

Fleshbag Marauder: I'm very fond of this guy, but perhaps he's a little excessive in this deck?

My picks:
Pilgrim's Eye, Falkenrath Noble and Puppeteer Clique.

Side note:
I'm looking to free up slots in the deck. What cards seem "loosest", or what kinds of cards do I have too much of? I was thinking about cutting Death Grasp, is this wrong (it is a great card)? Should I remove some "good stuff" cards like Identity Crisis?

Offline Profile